SPURS GAME DAY! GAME 81: SPURS VS. WOLVES, 8-4-2023, 3PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,423

SPURS GAME DAY! GAME 81: SPURS VS. WOLVES, 8-4-2023, 3PM (CT) 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 8, 2023 4:59 pm

We're now in the final stretch of the season without penultimate game, one which completes the I35 Series set but one which is also the first of a back to back. As ever, we go with who we have, we compete, we show what we're learning. Let's get after it!

WHERE: Moody Center, Austin, TX

WHEN: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 3pm (CT)

Read on Twitter

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: SPURS GAME DAY! GAME 81: SPURS VS. WOLVES, 8-4-2023, 3PM (CT) 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 8, 2023 5:00 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 8, 2023 10:51 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 8, 2023 10:51 pm

Lol just left Moody. More later!

GSG!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sun Apr 9, 2023 7:37 pm

4TH Q: SPURS 151 WOLVES 131

When you score 131 and lose by 20... It's a 3s game and when you're outscored 24-13 from the arc, it pretty much encapsulates the result.

We had a 2nd round PG, a 2nd round waiver pickup C, a 2nd round waiver pick up PF, an undrafted waiver pickup SF, and a rookie SG as starters vs. their regular starters.

In fairness it doesn't do to enlarge the underdog status by pointing out the draft selection because Tre has earned his spot with improved, smart play, and Diop has been the ever ready Swiss Army knife serviceable two-way player we've relied on who has started 40 games for us this season. But the other three, yes, their underdog status is no exaggeration.

And that for a while we held our own versus a team whose starters include two #1 draft selections, a star C they traded for, a savvy vet, and a strong defender. We cut, we moved the ball well, we pushed it in transition to get behind their D before they could set up and very finally we hit a couple of 3s after a slow start.

Julian once again les us with 24 points on 8-16, and once again led us with 3s, making 5-9, and 3-3FTs with 4 boards and 1 assist.

He was one of six Spurs in double figures, including all five starters. All five starters also attempted 3s, making that 8 of 9 Spurs who did. Eight of nine Spurs registered at least one assist for a terrific 34 total, and 7 of 8 got to the FT line, where we outscored them 18-24 to 14-21.

Mamu led us with 3 O boards for 6 in total, has 4 assists, and 1 steal to go along with 16 points on 7-13, 2-4 from 3. He's a passing whiz with clever looks that sometimes even stump team mates, but he's a clever finisher as well:

Read on Twitter

This got some oooohs and aaaahs from the enthusiastic crowd. He's a natural lefty, too, which helps with terrific finishes on that side or with that hand. Defenders don't look to be expecting it.

Malaki had a nice bounce back game scoring 17 on 6-10, 0-2 from 3 (his release is nice and quick but I still think the release point is a bit low, maybe something work on) with a team high 5-5FTs which is good to see. He was once again a three-level threat, with most of his attempts coming in the restricted area. He got blocked at times but kept driving and finding openings. He needs only a sliver to burst through and he's better at absorbing contact. Better use of the glass, too. He did get 4 boards, but only 1 assist with no other recorded stats. Again, you can't build everything all at once, but the hope is he expands other areas of his game like his O has come along. He's played to his strengths well, though, so credit to him. He was a team low -21 but in fairness he was up against one of the top up and coming SGs and it was a tall test on both ends. On D Malaki still gets beaten by quick first steps though he stays with his man better than earlier in the season. Arms up, body straight, with more leg work and less arms reaching in.

Diop has shown himself well for us throughout the season and as starter in particular. He once again stepped up with 22 on 8-15, 2-5 from 3, 4-5FTs a long with 3 boards (2 on O), 5 assists, and 1 block. He's going to make a smart team very happy with their UFA signing as he's an important glue guy. I hope it's us if the numbers and role are right for both sides.

And look who got his second career triple double! Tre led us with 21 (9-14, 1-3 from 3, 2-4FTs), 10 boards (1 on O on which he scored), and 12 assists to only 1 TO.

That one came on a steal from Edwards who put relentless pressure on our guards high at half court and got another steal from such pressure on another guard. It's good experience for us to face a big strong pesky defender not just individually but as a team in recognizing these situations and being there with better positioning to get a pass to help release the pressure.

I have previously thought that Tre's height may be a hindernace for him in the NBA but he was up against a savvy vet counterpart who has carved out a long, quality career for himself with his skills and smarts, also 6'1". Players like him and Chris Paul are great examples of how size doesn't limit ceiling given effort, BBIQ, and intangibles.

Tre has already improved his vision, passing, handling (he no longer picks up his dribble too early), and finishing at the rim. He's making quicker decisions with the ball as well. Really good use of speed, really coachable, and made a big jump this season in his overall game. He's a consistent 3 away from being a full threat and a valuable addition to any roster. Again, I hope it's ours.

Blake finally had a good O game. It was a long time coming. He led the bench with 14 on 6-9, 2-2 from 3, 0-2 FTs with 5 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block. One of his best all around games of the season. He was blocked and contested hard at the rim but was relentless in driving, relentless in just pushing his way into making a two-way impact. And despite the 3TOs he was a team best +5 in team high 34 minutes. Really pleased for him. Must have felt good to break through after some tough outings and have a breakthrough game.

Barlow is quietly ceaseless with effort and sticktoitiveness. He is of slight frame and only 19 and yet just does not back down from the bangings and shoves and beatings he gets from much bigger bigs. He got elbows shoved into him this game just about every time KAT posted him up but there was Dom taking it, tr6to get stops. Love his poise and demeanor and resilience. Can't wait to see his game once his body gets stronger and fills out some more.

We were very short handed this game, and our available roster was filled out with Ro.eo who looked sloghy more alert and with it. He drove some but you could tell he wasn't able to go 100% with his legs, sort of protecting them from sharp hard movements which hampered his speed and ability to defend guys with a quick first step. Hopefully he heals fully in the off-season. Big muscle I juries take a long time and it takes just that one weird twinge to get it reaggrevated.

And steady vet Dieing filled out the roster anded the bench with 8 boards (2 on O), had 4 assists, and 1 block along with chipping in 8 points (3-8, 1-3 from 3, 1-1FT) and some good floor stretching, court vision, and rim protecting D. I thought he sagged too much on 3s shooters, and on a night where they were taking and making so many it was counterproductive to leave so much space but that's what adjustments to game plans are for. Either that or we didn't follow the contest 3s shooters team wide directive. But we've had our bigs sag off shooters before and adjusted so these are film clips to go over.

Pop got into Blake a couple of times and still directed some instructions at the bench when other guys made mistakes on the court, but overall the mood was very positive, clapping the effort, coaching them up with instruction on the court in quick stoppages of play, and with lots of joking around with players on the bench in between, even playing with Keldon's head at one point. Pop looked downright jovial, dare I say, h-a-p-p-y for the most part.

It's great to witness these types of interactions throughout the game that you otherwise miss in commercial breaks or camera pov.

I had a great seat but the lady in front of me had a giant head in all directions. Seriously, it was like a **** cranial Jupiter. I kept having to take photos all around it hahaha!

Despite the result, it was still an enthusiastic crowd cheering despite an at one point I think 35 point deficit, cheering all the more when we cut into it and forced an opponent timeout or two. There was even a wave generated that kept going a few times around. Really good, loud, into it crowd. There were drink sellers in the stands this time which helped limit how often fans left their seats.

I had a walkabout after the game to get a feel of the arena relative to what's around. It's firmly situated within campus grounds with not a lot of close walkable options to get a pint or a bite. It is in a pretty area, close to downtown, and easily accessible by public transit (bus). It gets congested in the evenings as there aren't many lanes both ways, but the variety of access and location are important factors, as is Austin being noticeably more expensive than San Antonio. Some things I noticed that I'll get into more in off season threads, but interesting how we will blend and expand markets.

Anyway, fun atmosphere, our guys competed hard, Pop kept it light, players were supportive of one another, and then threw signed mementos into the crowd after the game. Great all around experience!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Sun Apr 9, 2023 7:38 pm

POST-GAME INTERVIEWS

Coming soon...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs