SPURS GAME DAY! PRE-SEASON GAME 2: SPURS VS. HEAT, 13-10-2023, 6:30PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,281

Re: SPURS GAME DAY! PRE-SEASON GAME 2: SPURS VS. HEAT, 13-10-2023, 6:30PM (CT) 

Post#21 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:27 am

D to O courtesy of Dom Barlow. Well done.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#22 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:32 am

Sidy REALLY good off ball man D to deny the shot then the pass. Moved feet well, fought over screen well, upright, used arms well.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#23 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:37 am

Yeah outside of Wemby and Bassey, our finishes at the rim have been too tentative and lacking glass fundamentals.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#24 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:45 am

Sidy's a smart player, but too gun shy and looks to pass to a fault. Has a chance to shoot it several times but elected to pass. It worked out well but he has to be more confident with his shot.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#25 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:09 am

4TH Q: SPURS 120 HEAT 104

Well you can see who has reps and more NBA experience and knows their role and who's not as far along.

Dom is good when hustling but is tentative with his J. Still, he managed to will his way to 50% efficiency and hit a 3. Led the bench with 11 and he didn't even have that great a game. Needs to play with more confidence and assertion.

Mamu is showing more of his game down low and from the arc.

Blake played fewer minutes than Malaki but had a better overall game. Both scored 8 but Blake did it on six fewer shots while also contributing 4 boards (1 on O) and 3 assists. I guess Malaki's slotted as the sharpshooter 6th man off the bench but when he's not scoring while taking more shots than anyone else on the bench, he has to chip in in other ways. Like Julian's shot wasn't falling today but he grabbed 5 boards and had 2 assists.

Cedi looked better as the game progressed though you can tell he likes that he gets to handle the ball more with us.

Sidy took only one shot. Had many more chances but is gun shy. He'll work on that in the G-League.

Devin cooked.

Wemby is incredible. Like truly special incredible. Every game there's something new and highlight worthy.

He and Bassey combined for 7 of our 9 blocks. I like the chemistry between Devin, Sochan, Tre with Wemby.

We got outrebounded 50-35 but we also shot it very well, too, scoring 120 on 84 shots, including 16-35 from 3 which is great for us. We got to the FT line 25 times which is solid but connected on 18 of them which is not. Work in progress. Still, 19-6 on O boards against had to do with boxing out awareness and effort.

29 assists, 10 steals led by Tre with 4 (active hands by all tonight), 9 blocks and 13 TOs is a decent night for a team still in the early stages of finding its groove. This is going to be a fun season.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#26 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:22 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#27 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:18 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#28 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:19 am

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,282

Post#29 » by imagump1313 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:35 am

G R E Y wrote:4TH Q: SPURS 120 HEAT 104

Well you can see who has reps and more NBA experience and knows their role and who's not as far along.

Dom is good when hustling but is tentative with his J. Still, he managed to will his way to 50% efficiency and hit a 3. Led the bench with 11 and he didn't even have that great a game. Needs to play with more confidence and assertion.

Blake played fewer minutes than Malaki but had a better overall game. Both scored 8 but Blake did it on six fewer shots while also contributing 4 boards (1 on O) and 3 assists. I guess Malaki's slotted as the sharpshooter 6th man off the bench but when he's not scoring while taking more shots than anyone else on the bench, he has to chip in in other ways. Like Julian's shot wasn't falling today but he grabbed 5 boards and had 2 assists.

Cedi looked better as the game progressed though you can tell he likes that he gets to handle the ball more with us.

Sidy took only one shot. Had many more chances but is gun shy. He'll work on that in the G-League.

Devin cooked.

Wemby is incredible. Like truly special incredible. Every game there's something new and highlight worthy.

He and Bassey combined for 7 of our 9 blocks. I like the chemistry between Devin, Sochan, Tre with Wemby.

We got outrebounded 50-35 but we also shot it very well, too, scoring 120 on 84 shots, including 16-35 from 3 which is great for us. We got to the FT line 25 times which is solid but connected on 18 of them which is not. Work in progress. Still, 19-6 on O boards against had to do with boxing out awareness and effort.

29 assists, 10 steals led by Tre with 4 (active hands by all tonight), 9 blocks and 13 TOs is a decent night for a team still in the early stages of finding its groove. This is going to be a fun season.

Ive been watching. I really dont have much to say as I don't want to start judging guys without seeing them play a full NBA roster.

I LOVE Wemby!! But I would feel better if he put up similar numbers against Ban Adabayo and not some scrubs. I understand its not his fault and there is a learning curve, but thats why I am trying to not get too excited yet and just soaking it in.

I have my opinions on other guys but I'll sit on those for now until we get closer or into real games.

I honestly think if the majority of our guys make some slight improvements this year that even if (SHUDDER!) Wemby got hurt, we could still push for a play in spot.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#30 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:32 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:4TH Q: SPURS 120 HEAT 104

Devin cooked.

Ive been watching. I really dont have much to say as I don't want to start judging guys without seeing them play a full NBA roster.

I LOVE Wemby!! But I would feel better if he put up similar numbers against Ban Adabayo and not some scrubs. I understand its not his fault and there is a learning curve, but thats why I am trying to not get too excited yet and just soaking it in.

I have my opinions on other guys but I'll sit on those for now until we get closer or into real games.

I honestly think if the majority of our guys make some slight improvements this year that even if (SHUDDER!) Wemby got hurt, we could still push for a play in spot.

Yeah I get it though it's still exciting to see, especially in an upgrade from scrimmage. And as we get closer to the season, we'll ramp things up.

What we do know is that Sidy will be in Austin for much of this season. How long will depend on how he progresses and what changes to the roster will be made. So that's one roster spot and minutes.

Devin and Wemby have been the constant starters and we're working through variations around them.

There's no way Julian or Cedi start.

I get the feeling that the starting group will be Sochan, Devin, Keldon, Wemby, and Zach. Are you ready for point-Sochan?

Devin has been facilitating well. Great chemistry with Wemby. And though we'll have various players bringing up the ball and initiating the O, I am curious about the point position. We have Tre and Graham and Blake as the PGs. So where Sochan has an off work in progress game we have back up but that's what it'll be - work in progress.

SM was glowing about Sochan at point but I saw a more tentative performance with the ball in his hands though it was his first game in over half a year. He had 3 assists, like Devin, and 6 boards (2 on O).

Despite us still working a lot of things out, you're not the first to be thinking of at least the play-in. Wemby's that good. Heck we could have beaten the predicted 26.5 win total for this season last season had we had our starters for more than 18 or so games. So yeah an extra season under our belt and a generational talent and the goal of actually winning games add up to us competing now. Loftier goals. Feels good!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,282

Post#31 » by imagump1313 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:28 pm

G R E Y wrote:Yeah I get it though it's still exciting to see, especially in an upgrade from scrimmage. And as we get closer to the season, we'll ramp things up.

What we do know is that Sidy will be in Austin for much of this season. How long will depend on how he progresses and what changes to the roster will be made. So that's one roster spot and minutes.

Devin and Wemby have been the constant starters and we're working through variations around them.

There's no way Julian or Cedi start.

I get the feeling that the starting group will be Sochan, Devin, Keldon, Wemby, and Zach. Are you ready for point-Sochan?

Devin has been facilitating well. Great chemistry with Wemby. And though we'll have various players bringing up the ball and initiating the O, I am curious about the point position. We have Tre and Graham and Blake as the PGs. So where Sochan has an off work in progress game we have back up but that's what it'll be - work in progress.

SM was glowing about Sochan at point but I saw a more tentative performance with the ball in his hands though it was his first game in over half a year. He had 3 assists, like Devin, and 6 boards (2 on O).

Despite us still working a lot of things out, you're not the first to be thinking of at least the play-in. Wemby's that good. Heck we could have beaten the predicted 26.5 win total for this season last season had we had our starters for more than 18 or so games. So yeah an extra season under our belt and a generational talent and the goal of actually winning games add up to us competing now. Loftier goals. Feels good!

Sochan playing the point is fine with me. Honestly, the PG in NBA basketball is almost nonexistent anymore. All you need is someone who doesn't turn the ball over regardless of position. Graham is all SG but is listed as a PG because of his size. Vassell can also handle getting us into our offense, especially if Johnson is on the floor with him. I would also be ok with Johnson if he doesn;t turn the ball over and doesnt have shooting blinders on.

I would be all for Jones starting and move Sochan or someone to Collins position. I like Collins starting but that spot is going to need to be on a heavy rotation with Bassey, Manu, Barlow...etc. Collins is concerning because I don't think you can start him all season. More than 50 games Im afraid and he's going to be hurt. I think this spot is more concerning than PG. Especially if an injury happens to anyone.

Barlow has to get at least a chance for bigger minutes IMO. He has impressed me but he has had some stinker games also. Time to give him some prime minutes and see what he does with it.

Osman is going to be a "break glass in emergency: type of guy. I honestly don't think he brings much to the table for us besides taking up minutes if someone is injured. McDermott hopefully doesn't regress because between the two of them McDermott gives us much more offensively. Neither of them gives us anything defensively. I don't see any situations where McDermott and Osman can be on the floor at the same time unless if you're down 3 with .05 seconds to go.

Branham, Wesley and Champagnie are all basically the same player on offense. It will come down to who is making shots and not turning the ball over. Defensively, Champagnie is the best of the lot but there is plenty of time for Wesley and Branham to figure that end out.

I guess my starters at this point would be Jones, Vassell, Sochan, Wemby and Collins(with Collins spot being heavily rotated regarding to who we are playing that night)

Return to San Antonio Spurs