Spurs linked to Trae Young Trade

Moderator: G R E Y

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,596

Spurs linked to Trae Young Trade 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:08 pm

The whispers from last month are starting to grow louder.

Read on Twitter
Spoiler:

I'm curious what you guys thoughts are on adding TY?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Spurs linked to Trae Young Trade 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:09 pm

You guys make sense as trade partners for more than a few reasons.
  • Spurs hold Atlanta's 2025 and 2027 Draft Picks
  • Spurs need a primary playmaker to feed Wemby
  • Trae is rumored to be interested in joining your franchise

How much do you think your team would be willing to pay for an in-prime Star player with some serious warts?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:10 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:18 pm

Hawks are likely to start the bidding at their own draft picks back. That way they can benefit if they decide to tank and start all over.

But would Spurs balk if they asked for Spurs 2024 Top-10 picks, too?
Would the #3 and #6 picks in this weak draft class be a deal breaker in exchange for the best lob thrower in the league?
If so, what are the odds SAS adds Devin Vassell to the package?

For the record...Wemby would feast with the passes he'd get from TY.

And Trae has been humbled enough to finally acknowledge he can't do it all by himself.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:22 pm

Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,190

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:27 pm

Thanks, Jamaa. We have a post about it in the Feb. deadline trade thread but there *seems* to be a bit more smoke to it so thanks for this thread.

I guess some background also includes Trae being put off by not being chosen to the Team USA Worlds when Pop was HC and then Olympics.

But so it could be bygones by now depending on if there are maturity questions and answers.

My gut sense is that we still don't pull the trigger on Trae but a lot has to go right between now and next season. I predict 5-7 players will not be on the team next season. Obviously starting PG needs upgrading even though I love Tre.

There is also a trend towards bigger PGs and D (though I understand Trae's has improved) and obviously it's an upgrade, it's not an automatic considering limitations and cost, both in terms of his contract and what it would take to acquire him.

Also, Trae just doesn't do off ball and so much of our O is predicated on it. We can adjust the O to match talents of course but make no mistake this is Wemby's team. That would be new for Trae and he would have to be ok with that.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:30 pm

That both teams discussed it doesn't reveal who initiated it and where it went or where it will go. Maybe Hawks are trying to increase interest and thus leverage.

That both teams discussed it shows Hawks willingness to part with him and our looking at high end options.

Really the former is the bigger story right now.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,277

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:45 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Hawks are likely to start the bidding at their own draft picks back. That way they can benefit if they decide to tank and start all over.

Would the #3 and #6 picks in this weak draft class be a deal breaker in exchange for the best lob thrower in the league?

And Trae has been humbled enough to finally acknowledge he can't do it all by himself.

I could be wrong but I think the Toronto pick is top 6 protected so thats not a lock yet.

I was hoping we would try for Cade Cunningham with our #1 and any player on our roster besides Wemby for him as a starting point. I understand a little more accomplished player like Young would be be more expensive maybe.

As far as this draft goes if we did have both picks I wouldnt be against shopping them both for a player like Young.

This draft isnt very top-heavy at all IMO but if I can see that why would the Hawks want 2 picks in a weak draft?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:14 pm

imagump1313 wrote:As far as this draft goes if we did have both picks I wouldnt be against shopping them both for a player like Young.

This draft isnt very top-heavy at all IMO but if I can see that why would the Hawks want 2 picks in a weak draft?

I'm thinking more if there is a specific player(s) that the Hawks like, it would be an attractive way to kick off a post-Trae Young era: adding a sweet 2 way wing like Cody Williams and a hyper-efficient, fan-favorite, combo-guard like Reed Sheppard.

They'd mean more to a rebuilding Hawks franchise in need of a fresh start than to the Spurs who are stacked with draft picks in much more attractive draft classes down the line.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#10 » by G R E Y » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Hawks are likely to start the bidding at their own draft picks back. That way they can benefit if they decide to tank and start all over.

Somehow I missed this.

I sense you wanting to sell this trade so there s a willingness to move on from him.

I also sense that it's WYSIWYG with Trae at this point and not sure we want to commit to that.

Here's the thing. Devin is a better get than any player LAL could hope to offer. And our picks are significantly better, too. We know it, Hawks know it.

Devin is also our second best player. He would make part of the best D back court tandem with Murray, and trading him would create a big D hole where we worked to gain experience.

Now, we've moved on from Murray and White because we had an idea of where we were with either or both. White of course is a star in his role with surrounded by 1 and 1A options. Murray still thinks he's the man and plays like it, looking off coach calls like he's LBJ.

We invested the largest contract ever in Devin. We want him to develop a two-man game with Wemby.

Of course Trae brings heaps more in that kind of talent, but that trade also brings big holes to our roster. Unless, say, Sidy takes some huge leap (and I love his game so far, especially D and passing already there) we shore up one area (though not completely due to limitations of Trae's game previously mentioned) while creating another.

It can't be both the best player and the best picks from us as LAL (if it's the only other team that wants Trae this much) has neither.

We do Devin and those picks suddenly the unprotected picks are of less value as we help expedite Hawks rebuild while distributing heaps of money to fewer players as so much is going to one with Trae's contract. LAL does the deal and Hawks are in a slower rebuild and LAL commits to eventually growing around Trae which is where the Hawks are going away from potentially.

Plus we could use Williams or Sheppard ourselves. And developing higher level talent at manageable contracts while still being able to trade for more experienced players is the move we ourselves are in the process of doing.

I do think Wemby's trajectory of improvement has to have PATFO looking at expediting decisions, but acquiring Trae feels more a move of the skipping steps variety rather than faster growth variety.

Trae is the guy a team acquires to put it over the top rather than put it firmly in a bit of a bind filling in around him.

Again, lots of permutations available, and I think we'd like to keep it that way, but we'll see how things develop.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:57 pm

G R E Y wrote:I sense you wanting to sell this trade so there s a willingness to move on from him.

I do think Wemby's trajectory of improvement has to have PATFO looking at expediting decisions, but acquiring Trae feels more a move of the skipping steps variety rather than faster growth variety.

Trae is the guy a team acquires to put it over the top rather than put it firmly in a bit of a bind filling in around him.

Again, lots of permutations available, and I think we'd like to keep it that way, but we'll see how things develop.

Truth is, having a superstar in the modern sports landscape is messy and stressful. You guys lucked out with Tim Duncan as a low key, unselfish mature All Time great player.

The rest of these dudes are constantly in some sort of drama or another.
Spoiler:
  • Zion loves food and strippers.
  • Ja loves booze and weapons.
  • LeBron is constantly making obscene demands and undermining coaches.
  • Giannis is pressuring management into bad, short-sighted moves.
  • Luka is an out of shape, coach-killer.
  • Lamar Jackson wants the most money in NFL history.
  • Patrick Mahomes entire family is a wreck and constantly in the tabloids.
  • Travis Kelce is publicly berating his coach and riding the T-Swift wave to fame.
All that to say, even with all the ugly behind the scenes nonsense Trae is adjacent to, this is the deal in modern sports...sadly.

I'm all for keeping Trae Young in Atlanta.

He works hard.
He's a family man with no questionable associations or bad habits.
He's just a poor locker-room leader and an undersized, reluctant defender.

But the rumors and the losing are clearly wearing him down.

So I'm just preparing for the inevitable at this point.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:01 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
G R E Y wrote:I sense you wanting to sell this trade so there s a willingness to move on from him.

Truth is, having a superstar in the modern sports landscape is messy and stressful. You guys lucked out with Tim Duncan as a low key, unselfish mature All Time great player.

The rest of these dudes are constantly in some sort of drama or another.
Spoiler:
  • Zion loves food and strippers.
  • Ja loves booze and weapons.
  • LeBron is constantly making obscene demands and undermining coaches.
  • Giannis is pressuring management into bad, short-sighted moves.
  • Luka is an out of shape, coach-killer.
  • Lamar Jackson wants the most money in NFL history.
  • Patrick Mahomes entire family is a wreck and constantly in the tabloids.
  • Travis Kelce is publicly berating his coach and riding the T-Swift wave to fame.
All that to say, even with all the ugly behind the scenes nonsense Trae is adjacent to, this is the deal in modern sports...sadly.

I'm all for keeping Trae Young in Atlanta.

He works hard.
He's a family man with no questionable associations or bad habits.
He's just a poor locker-room leader and an undersized, reluctant defender.

But the rumors and the losing are clearly wearing him down.

So I'm just preparing for the inevitable at this point.

And David. And Manu. And Gervin... And now Wemby.

But we parted ways with others, Murray among them (sometimes, like SJax, for character reasons, though not always, like White).

Trae has an enticing game and the good points you mentioned are in his favour. But he's also hard to build around as such a ball dominant PG.

It would shock me it Trae were traded though. He's a big profit driver for Hawks.

But we're getting a bit side tracked.

Still stand by the points about Devin not being included. Not that he's untouchable, but that the overall implications may not be enough to push us to do it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:24 pm

G R E Y wrote:It would shock me it Trae were traded though. He's a big profit driver for Hawks.

But we're getting a bit side tracked.

Still stand by the points about Devin not being included. Not that he's untouchable, but that the overall implications may not be enough to push us to do it.

Understood regarding Devin.

I wanted Vassell and/or Ty Haliburton in that 2020 Draft Class. (They'd be a perfect starting backcourt IMO.)
Hawks would ask for Devin, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. They'd likely insist on Keldon & maybe Sochan in return, though.

Regarding Trae...his eventual departure is inevitable. Hopefully, it's not for a few more years.

My franchise is a clown show and star players rarely stay on bad franchises for their entire career. Trae will leave...at some point.
And I'd rather trade a guy too soon than let the situation drag on and then get limited value in return.

I do think that on a good franchise...under a strong coach...with a star front court player next to him, Trae will likely thrive.

NOTE: I hear that it's so hard to build a team around Trae...I don't buy it. Steph and Jokic are pretty weak defenders. But their offensive production is so great it doesn't matter. Trae's in that same boat.

With guys like Wemby, Vassell (and Sochan?) anchoring your defense, Spurs would be fine.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:38 pm

Well then...

Read on Twitter

On the one hand, "highly likely..."; on the other, "considered", "potentially..."

(KOC as source not respected among comments to tweet, but he's not the only one talking about it)
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:50 pm

G R E Y wrote:Well then...

Read on Twitter

The more this stuff pops up, the more likely it is to happen.

And the media keeps dropping this speculation at the most inopportune time. (Start of ALL Star weekend. Hours before a Play-In Game. Day of the huge matchup between Trae and Ty Haliburton.)
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Well then...

Read on Twitter

The more this stuff pops up, the more likely it is to happen.

And the media keeps dropping this speculation at the most inopportune time. (Start of ALL Star weekend. Hours before a Play-In Game. Day of the huge matchup between Trae and Ty Haliburton.)

Do you think Trae or your FO is driving his? Or ownership? Like I get frustration for Trae for getting him help, though he seems to be buying in with Quinn but the other two get huge benefits from Trae even when the team isn't as strong in a given year. Plus doesn't Quinn have big input to roster decisions? Confusing.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:18 pm

G R E Y wrote:Do you think Trae or your FO is driving his? Or ownership? Like I get frustration for Trae for getting him help, though he seems to be buying in with Quinn but the other two get huge benefits from Trae even when the team isn't as strong in a given year. Plus doesn't Quinn have big input to roster decisions? Confusing.

That's the question, friend.

I can't imagine any front office wants this much upheaval and disarray in their daily operations. Our owner and GM look like buffoons the longer this goes on.

So my guess is Klutch Sports is causing chaos on behalf of both Dejounte and Trae to force the team's hand.

I expect Trae to be in San Antonio next season and Dejounte to be in Los Angeles.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:35 pm

What a Trae Young trade to the San Antonio Spurs would look like

If the Atlanta Hawks decide to trade Trae Young, the San Antonio Spurs are viewed as a potential favorite

Since the NBA Trade Deadline came and went, there have been two reports that have essentially said the Hawks could explore trading Trae Young (in addition to Murray) this offseason. First, by The Ringer's Howard Beck and then by veteran NBA reporter Marc Stein.

Adding to those reports is the fact that the San Antonio Spurs, of all teams, were actually talking to the Hawks before the trade deadline regarding a potential Young trade. Seemingly, if the Hawks did explore trading Young this offseason, the Spurs would likely be near, if not atop, the list of suitors.

The outline of a potential Trae Young to the San Antonio Spurs trade

When thinking of what a trade for Young could look like this offseason, we must know it would likely be costly. With the way a new trade market has developed for superstars, you have to assume any package would begin with three future first-round picks.

As a way to add some icing on the package, the Spurs could also include a lightning scorer such as Devin Vassell into the package considering they may not need his offense in the backcourt all that much with the addition of Young.

Objectively, without knowing much about what the market could be for Young this offseason, you'd have to imagine this could be the package that gets it done. The Hawks would completely replenish their draft capital with this deal and could keep Murray and/or even continue to jump-start their rebuild by using him via the trade market to add another couple of future picks and/or a young player.
Sir Charles in Charge
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:02 pm

Yeah that article sure sounds like Klutch driven alright. No considerarion for how Devin out would impact us, nor for how our picks going the other way would either.

"Potentially" and "could" doing a lot of heavy lifting.

If LAL wants Trae, they don't have assets to beat our offer. We won't overpay, if we are indeed as interested beyond a discussion that leaked.

I'm sure we're exploring all options to expedite without skipping steps but don't think it's our top of list one. Now even less convinced knowing that Klutch is involved. Huge turnoff.

I really don't want them anywhere near Wemby. Keldon is close enough.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#20 » by G R E Y » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:41 pm

Well then... It's past the subtle stage now, isn't it?

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs