SPURS 2024 OFF-SEASON INTEREST, TRADE, AND FA RUMOURS THREAD

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,861

SPURS 2024 OFF-SEASON INTEREST, TRADE, AND FA RUMOURS THREAD 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:32 pm

I was going to wait until the actual off-season, but the rumours are coming in more now and better to just stay on top of them rather than play catch up.

In addition to the Trae rumours (some say from both ends), there's now this:

Read on Twitter

I like the experienced PG and draft PBA/address the 3 need via draft route, if that's indeed the path we're on. I assume it is. Having two rookies on the starting unit, or even Tre and a rookie may not be the quick enough route.

That's not rushing it, or skipping steps, that's, as Wemby put it, going up the steps but faster. That's more in keeping with his growth.

As always, though, it depends on the cost with DM.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: SPURS 2024 OFF-SEASON INTEREST, TRADE, AND FA RUMOURS THREAD 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:18 pm

EWW!

I'm not a fan of Mitchell. IMO he is one of the most overrated guys in the league. Young is a bit overrated too but seems to be more in favor of Wemby being the star and he being a device to make him better. Mitchell seems to be all about Mitchell and his brand.

If we draft Topic I guess I wouldnt care who we sign as a FA if he's the right price.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:28 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:40 pm

I choose to read this with a whimsical laugh:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:45 pm

LMAO not that Jeff is spilling inside info, but to whatever extent he has his ear to the ground, I think PATFO lean this way. Why would we give up the assets we have a team over the barrel with back to that team?

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:24 pm

The more I hear Trae Young speak the more Im intrigued if the price is right.

Read on Twitter

Granted, I believe he is talking about players coming to Atlanta but its a good response.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:31 pm

G R E Y wrote:I choose to read this with a whimsical laugh:

Read on Twitter

I can't believe I'm saying it but I actually don't entirely hate this.

If he can be humble and fit in like he did with the Warriors this year and not be a distraction I think he could still be productive. Even though I hate him as a person his BBIQ is much higher than our entire roster combined.

Granted if this did happen and we made the playoffs we would have to play without him anyway :lol: :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:34 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:I choose to read this with a whimsical laugh:

Read on Twitter

I can't believe I'm saying it but I actually don't entirely hate this.

If he can be humble and fit in like he did with the Warriors this year and not be a distraction I think he could still be productive. Even though I hate him as a person his BBIQ is much higher than our entire roster combined.

Agree about the BBIQ and the loathing lol

I think he'll be ring chasing as is his right and the actual contract cost would be exorbitant.

We do need a PG upgrade long term but even if we kept Tre for next season and just upgraded the 3 to a starting level player it would do wonders for us.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 pm

imagump1313 wrote:The more I hear Trae Young speak the more Im intrigued if the price is right.

Read on Twitter

Granted, I believe he is talking about players coming to Atlanta but its a good response.

The thing is, 6 or however many years since being drafted, he has shown zero off ball inclination, even when Murray got there. Honeymoon is well and truly over. Combine ball dominance with inefficiency and poor D AND that humongous contract, I don't see how it offsets the scoring and passing. It hasn't for any iteration of rosters he's been on.

I think we keep those assets at least until 2025 draft. Too juicy to give up unprotected 1sts
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by imagump1313 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:42 pm

G R E Y wrote:Agree about the BBIQ and the loathing lol

I think he'll be ring chasing as is his right and the actual contract cost would be exorbitant.

We do need a PG upgrade long term but even if we kept Tre for next season and just upgraded the 3 to a starting level player it would do wonders for us.

IMO if we get any kind of PG just to keep Sochan away from playing PG it will benefit us greatly.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by imagump1313 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:54 pm

G R E Y wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:The more I hear Trae Young speak the more Im intrigued if the price is right.

Read on Twitter

The thing is, 6 or however many years since being drafted, he has shown zero off ball inclination, even when Murray got there. Honeymoon is well and truly over. Combine ball dominance with inefficiency and poor D AND that humongous contract, I don't see how it offsets the scoring and passing. It hasn't for any iteration of rosters he's been on.

I think we keep those assets at least until 2025 draft. Too juicy to give up unprotected 1sts

I think Young needs a change of scenery. He is a victim of Atlanta IMO. A crap franchise with no history that just thought it needed to cater to him. I don't believe Ive ever heard Young actually say he wanted to be catered to. He just wanted to win. But the actual team did things they "thought" would cater to him.

That and the lifelong comparison he will have with Doncic just makes it harder.

He needs to go somewhere where he is just one of the guys on the roster which he would be here. If he is a championship kind of player he needs to move somewhere. There are plenty of other teams he could go to to achieve this beside the Spurs. Its never going to happen in Atlanta.

Like I said in the previous post "If the price is right". I understand what he makes, but what would we have to give up?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:39 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think Young needs a change of scenery. He is a victim of Atlanta IMO. A crap franchise with no history that just thought it needed to cater to him. I don't believe Ive ever heard Young actually say he wanted to be catered to. He just wanted to win. But the actual team did things they "thought" would cater to him.

That and the lifelong comparison he will have with Doncic just makes it harder.

He needs to go somewhere where he is just one of the guys on the roster which he would be here. If he is a championship kind of player he needs to move somewhere. There are plenty of other teams he could go to to achieve this beside the Spurs. Its never going to happen in Atlanta.

Like I said in the previous post "If the price is right". I understand what he makes, but what would we have to give up?

All of that is true and off court he's a normal non partying sort, I'm given to believe.

AND he's too ball dominant and even with a release valve in Murray he had not shown not only the ability but the willingness to play off ball.

So while it is true that he has not played with another all star caliber talent, it is also true that there's only so much a guy can change his play style and expected output from it relative to a changed environment. LMA didn't, though he took 3s a bit more; DD didn't, although he defended *a bit* more and facilitated more certainly...

It's hard to think of an example of a guy in his prime that made such a significant alteration. Any team acquiring him has to accept this as part of the package.

I do think the AS weekend was a meet-and-greet of sorts to see if they can even get along. Looked positive, that. And given the visible frustration between him and Murray in that last game, Hawks FO have to decide which of them they part with, if not both. Either way it's good for us.

Recently, Wemby said he's been contacted about teaming up but was quick to focus on upcoming prospects (smart, we don't want any tampering whispers) texting him.

It's clear what we need and that Trae is a huge talent upgrade which fills one of them but at that cost, can we live with the other holes he comes with?

It's going to be an interesting summer.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:38 pm

Per RealGM Wiretap - Spurs don't see Trae as fit next to Wemby.

This is the source of the article:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/rumor-chris-paul-could-end-up-with-spurs-this-summer

It starts with the now out there and passed around idea that CP3 'could' end up with us.

And there's the rub.

Notice the wording.

Spurs 'don't see Trae as fit' is active, more definitive.

'Could' have CP3 end up with us is in the same category as the waste of final sentence that we 'might be more interested' in Murray, if he becomes available.

Not sure whose water reporters are carrying, Hawks or Klutch, intentional or not, but there's a lot of generating of interest, especially to get us to part with those assets that would benefit a certain team greatly to have back.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by imagump1313 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

G R E Y wrote:Per RealGM Wiretap - Spurs don't see Trae as fit next to Wemby.

This is the source of the article:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/rumor-chris-paul-could-end-up-with-spurs-this-summer

It starts with the now out there and passed around idea that CP3 'could' end up with us.

And there's the rub.

Notice the wording.

Spurs 'don't see Trae as fit' is active, more definitive.

'Could' have CP3 end up with us is in the same category as the waste of final sentence that we 'might be more interested' in Murray, if he becomes available.

Not sure whose water reporters are carrying, Hawks or Klutch, intentional or not, but there's a lot of generating of interest, especially to get us to part with those assets that would benefit a certain team greatly to have back.

Right! The Spurs never leak information like this. Its coming from the players or the agents.

We don't even know if the Spurs are really looking that hard for a true PG. Thats all media and fans. I haven't heard anyone from the team come out and say "We really need to get a true PG this off season"

Return to San Antonio Spurs