Vasall
Giddey
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,958

Re: Josh Giddey trade 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:21 pm

Last thing we need is a quasi-PG named Josh with a questionable track record with women.

But there's also a reason why his minutes and efficiency have decreased. OKC will look to offload him.

We do need a long-term PG solution but giving up Sochan -a younger player, can guard 1-4, passes well, rookie contract who hits rfa market later, clean off court history, and for Giddey at that, is not good optics or business.

We need to see how Sochan grows this upcoming 3rd and 4th seasons. Wemby is a whole new gravity to play around and grow with. It's an adjustment for everyone.

I think if anyone goes, it's going to be Keldon. Not sure for who or where (listening to some podcasts about it) but he's more of a you know who you have with him player, more of a known ceiling and of course character. Descending contract. Not to say I want him out, I like him and his bully bally and touch, but in terms of asset management, it would not surprise me to see him flipped for either a 3 or 1. We need both as you rightly identified.

I don't see Smith as an upgrade at the 4 over Sochan largely for reasons mentioned. Where do you think Sochan will be at 24, in 4 years? I think he's already the better player, certainly a higher ceiling.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 634

Post#3 » by Fundamentals21 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:09 pm

There were many questions on Giddey this season. He's a promising guy but he didn't quite live up to the challenge of starting on a top seed. The Trae Young idea is way better than an idea like this, IMO.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,264

Post#4 » by imagump1313 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 am

Sochan is a horrible PG but not a horrible player if we keep him in the proper role. Giddey is an interesting choice but not at the cost of Sochan.

I agree with Grey that Johnson would be the one we trade if we can.

We just went through the Josh Primo thing and somehow escaped it. I doubt the Spurs want anything to do with off the court issues of Giddey even though he wasn't found guilty of anything.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,631
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#5 » by will » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:20 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Sochan is a horrible PG but not a horrible player if we keep him in the proper role. Giddey is an interesting choice but not at the cost of Sochan.

We just went through the Josh Primo thing and somehow escaped it. I doubt the Spurs want anything to do with off the court issues of Giddey even though he wasn't found guilty of anything.

Yeah, don't see him as a PG. Great jack of all trades player who can contribute in all facets of the game.

Whatever the deal is...just stay away from Trae Young.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by imagump1313 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:40 am

will wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Sochan is a horrible PG but not a horrible player if we keep him in the proper role. Giddey is an interesting choice but not at the cost of Sochan.

Yeah, don't see him as a PG. Great jack of all trades player who can contribute in all facets of the game.

People are talking about Chris Paul too. I really don't like either of them but I would rather have Young than Paul.

There seems to be nothing but old ass overpaid PGs available as FAs this year. I might be interested in Dinwiddie if he would come on the cheap. Even though he is hurt all the time like Paul. Maybe a couple more guys might be available for trade after the playoffs.
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#7 » by will » Wed May 1, 2024 12:44 am

imagump1313 wrote:
will wrote:

People are talking about Chris Paul too. I really don't like either of them but I would rather have Young than Paul.

There seems to be nothing but old ass overpaid PGs available as FAs this year. I might be interested in Dinwiddie if he would come on the cheap. Even though he is hurt all the time like Paul. Maybe a couple more guys might be available for trade after the playoffs.

Going after a player like Jalen Williams to pair with Victor would be highly beneficial.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:49 am

will wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
will wrote:

Going after a player like Jalen Williams to pair with Victor would be highly beneficial.

Youre right with that, but I don't think we have anything OKC would want in return. Unless they want a bunch more picks for some reason.
will
RealGM

Post#9 » by will » Wed May 1, 2024 12:52 am

imagump1313 wrote:
will wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

Youre right with that, but I don't think we have anything OKC would want in return. Unless they want a bunch more picks for some reason.

OKC is going to have to move off someone from their core of young players. Unless OKC goes into luxury tax territory.

Return to San Antonio Spurs