Spurs small-ball?

Moderator: G R E Y

impulsenine
Analyst
And1: 1

Spurs small-ball? 

Post#1 » by impulsenine » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi all, this was brought up on the Suns board:

... a lot of the games the Spurs have lost they started Duncan at center and and Horry at the PF, much like we do with Amare and Shawn. I wonder if, during that stretch, that they encountered the same problems associated with small ball that we do on a game by game basis? (Rebounding, foul trouble etc). Might have to go back and have a look at some of those box scores..

Any truth to this? It'd be interesting to me for a wide variety of reasons (Pop really doesn't care about the regular season, I hope he's not doing that to fight my team [Suns] specifically, etc.)

Edit: Disregard the avatar, but you guys might be amused by the sig :nod:
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,486

Post#2 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:28 pm

Well there are times that we play small but it really depends on matchups. We played small vs Orlando the entire game with Duncan and 4 shooting guards and we have rebounded very well. There are other times that we really do kill ourselves with rebounding when we do go small for like 5 or 6 mins. It just depends on the match ups and how he believes we can beat a team. For the most part Pop likes to play big with Oberto and Elson getting 25 an 13 mins each respectfully due to their high rebounding rate per mins but he isn't shy about going small if there is something lacking or if we need some offensive punch. He is flexable to the point that he is willing to make adjustments during the game or after halftime. I think Coach D has that problem that he is very reluctant to make in game adjustments.

Examples we don't match up good vs teams like Dallas due to the fact that they outrebound us no matter what so it doesn't matter what line up we put out there. Utah who rebounds very well. we always hold our own or rebound better and we have gone small vs them. It is all about match ups. For the most part we don't get into foul trouble due to the fact that we don't gamble or go for block shots. I think we are below avg in both stats.

I have to note that we have not played Horry much at all this year. He needs to be thawed and defrosted in the regular season after the allstar break.

I hope that answered your question.

Return to San Antonio Spurs