Oberto/Elson..

Moderator: G R E Y

HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Oberto/Elson.. 

Post#1 » by HarlemHeat37 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:07 am

both of them seem to have regressed from last year for some reason..agree/disagree? and what should be done?..
tuncaboylu
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#2 » by tuncaboylu » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:31 am

They are not younger than last year and we're trying to adjust Bonner and Horry to the team again.
We're going to use them when b2b games and play-off time come.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#3 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 am

Keep them and use them.

Elson was playing fine before his ankle injury. He was playing a nice game on both ends. Was (relating to before the injury)/is more familiar and confident with his game and the team. Hasn't played much since for what Pop wants to do.

Oberto's been fairly consistent all year in doing what he does.

It's not like they're both going to be used in limited games and minutes (compared to usual) out of a sudden. Both bring different but valued things to this team. I don't expect either to be dealt.

Also like said, Pop's getting Horry more minutes recently now.

All the guys will have their play geared up by March, too.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
ss1986v2
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#4 » by ss1986v2 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:21 pm

elson still looks like a dimwitted shoe out there. but thats just elson. do something good, than follow it with 3 stupid plays. its just the same old elson.

obertos lack of production it more directly linked to his inconsistent minutes. with pop throwing horry out there for a while, giving bonner extended minutes, and experimenting more with the small ball line up, oberto has seen less court time. when he has been out there (especially with manu), hes still looked like the savvy vet he did last year. just needs to get things set for him like everyone else.
Stupidity Should be Painful!
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 114

Post#5 » by Magz50 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:27 pm

I think Pops tryinh out his small ball line ups at the moment. It's fine with me as we've won 3 in a row.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,483

Post#6 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:49 pm

I think they have regressed. Every now and then Oberto will have a good game but Elson has not gotten better. Hell we are playing so much small ball I wouldn't mind trading him. The thing is that if we face a team like Dallas we are going to need his length and quickness vs Dirk. Oberto plays good when no one is covering him like when we play the Suns. The fact is that they are really both back up centers and we shouldn't expect too much from them.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#7 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Elson really was going pretty well before he got hurt, and just looked more confident overall. He was taking and making his jumpshot more, as influenced by Pop. Since his ankle injury things have been different with the rotation, and will have to get back into the rotation. I think he will soon.

I don't think we should deal Elson because of his mobility, athleticism, and size (as is known). Especially against Phoenix and Dallas. And again, against Dallas earlier this year, while it was only for some minutes, he defended Dirk the best out of anybody on the team. Dirk went quiet when Elson was on him compared to anybody else. Elson on Dirk would also allow for consistent focus on Josh Howard (this strategy was already tested successfully over the course of the game in 06).

Elson brings something unique to the team, and is an effective role-player. Same goes with Oberto and what he does.

I'd be surprised if either Oberto/Elson were out of a sudden traded. Doesn't really make sense either unless there's a significant upgrade, and specifically, there isn't a drop-off defensively.

I'm not worried about them at all.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#8 » by co_laper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:11 am

I'm not buying Elson on Dirk to be honest. I think if we meet Dallas again, having a healthy Tim Duncan is enough for us to contain Dirk. If not, I'm guessing if Bowen is being put on Josh Howard, Udoka (a more physical defensive player than Bowen) is gonna be put on Dirk. Not Elson. I know Elson is fast, but he's not exactly quick. Plus, the GS-DAL series IMO showed that Dirk is best guarded by smaller, quicker player that is also physical enough to harrass him when he starts dribbling. Udoka, Bowen, or Finley is still our top 3 best defensive players on Dirk.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#9 » by HarlemHeat37 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:56 pm

an Udoka-Bowen combo is fine for me vs. Dirk and Howard..Udoka has really shown that he can play great D so far, and he's actually more physical than Bowen is, which is good for players like Carmelo, that push Bowen around at times in the post..

Return to San Antonio Spurs