Does this mean H Sultz suit is done?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Re: Does this mean H Sultz suit is done? 

Post#41 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:44 pm

wiff wrote:You know what this means to me Jenn? That the NBA, David Stern and Clay Bennett are sweating Shultz's case.

Which leads me to think Shultz has a leg to stand on when it comes to his case.

I was thinking along those lines as well Wiff.

Please Howard, don't give in..keep putting up the fight. You got us all in this mess, it is YOUR duty to try to get us out of it.
Sonics3408
Junior
And1: 0

Post#42 » by Sonics3408 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:43 pm

The NBA also claims that Schultz's ownership group signed a release as part of the league's approval of the 2006 sale that prevented the former owners from suing Bennett's Professional Basketball Club ownership group.

This was from ESPN's headline about the NBA trying to jump in...Is anyone aware of this release??
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#43 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:47 am

the NBA seems to be scared maybe the I 5 rivrily isent dead
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#44 » by elbowthrower » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:07 pm

Sonics3408 wrote:
The NBA also claims that Schultz's ownership group signed a release as part of the league's approval of the 2006 sale that prevented the former owners from suing Bennett's Professional Basketball Club ownership group.

This was from ESPN's headline about the NBA trying to jump in...Is anyone aware of this release??

I'm not a lawyer, but perhaps the argument from Schultz is that because the sale was completed on fraudulent terms, that release is void as well.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,985

Post#45 » by Dick Tate » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:06 pm

Sonics3408 wrote:Is anyone aware of this release??

Exhibit D.

Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by Ex-hippie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:18 pm

If the judge does undo the sale, the NBA says it has a legal interest in making sure any new owner is "qualified in all respects to operate an NBA team and has the ability to provide for the long-term financial stability and efficient operation of the Sonics."

You know what promotes long-term stability? Not moving teams.

The Schultz group's requests to void the sale "are fundamentally inconsistent with the most basic rules and regulations governing the operations of the NBA and its member teams, which do not authorize or permit ownership transfers without the express approval of the NBA," the league said in its request for intervention.

It's interesting to see this. To my knowledge, the NBA has never had an antitrust exemption expressly acknowledged. Here they seem to be not only asserting such an exemption, but rubbing everyone's nose in it. But I will admit that this is where I'm wholly out of my depth. I do know that threatening a league's antitrust exemption is not good strategy for our side in general, since that would make it easier, not harder, for franchises to move.

But you know what? I'm almost past the point of caring. Sure I'd like Schultz to win, but the NBA has been damaged beyond a point of no return in my mind.

I would add that although I've been semi-bullish about Schultz's case in the past, I think it is a lot harder to get an equitable remedy like recsission once the horses have been let out of the stable, so to speak. This is looking like more and more of a long shot.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#47 » by wiff » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:54 pm

I agree Ex-hippie I would have liked Shultz chances much better if they were still in Seattle.

But at this point after all has been said and done to the fans of the Seattle Super Sonics by the commisioner and Satans child, Clay Bennett I'd have no problem with Shultz hitting up the Anti-Trust issue and pinch the league so to speak.

You want to play below the belt Stern...let's play below the belt.
DoctorEvil
Sophomore

Post#48 » by DoctorEvil » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:34 pm

There already HAS been a team move to OKC, then leave after two seasons, so this shouldn't be an "OMG-we-can't-move-a-team-how-will-the-league-survive?" situtation to the judge.

Still can't believe the **** mayor spread his legs wide for those back-door bandits.

To quote Penn...
phuuuk!

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball