Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Re: So if you bought the Kings? 

Post#161 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 am

Mk0 wrote:In the end the coaching staff is entirely dependent on how you want to play. If you are against the triangle but want to develop DMC as a dominant half court big man there is always SVG.

Mike Budenholzer has been Popovich's assistant since he started in San Antonio and he is still young (40s).

Eric Musselman has been in the DLeague for a while now but he was huge in player development for the Warriors and he used to be considered an offensive guru. Although that title has been tainted by Mike D'Antoni.

Speaking of which, if you are interested in a fast pace team I am sure Mike D'Antoni will be available next summer :rofl:.

Seriously though, the issue is that DMC is a child and needs someone who can flash championship rings in his face and check his attitude. Budenholzer could be a really good head coach.

No mention of Nate McMillan? I figured he'd be at the top of the list for most Sonics fans
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 14,835

Post#162 » by Mk0 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Nate is Mr. Sonic so it is safe to assume he would be on their radar. I didn't mention him since so many people seem to have soured on him since he was fired in Portland. The general consensus was that he was stubborn and wasn't exactly working his players to the best of their skillset, which is odd even though his teams managed to over achieve. I think in their major injury ridden season PDX had near 50 wins.

I always assumed he was like Skiles in that he is a hard ass and while the players themselves may not be developing to the best of their own abilities it is getting the best out of the collective team.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#163 » by Det the Threat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm

wiff wrote:
How is it going to be interesting? Are they going to buy the team off of Hansen? Only way this doesn't go down is if the owners vote no to the move. Ah the owners voted 27-2 moving the team from Seattle to OKC.

OKC is worse market than Seattle and they voted 27-2.

Seattle is a better market than Sacramento. Where is the interesting coming from?

They even voted 27-1-1, as Paul Allen didn't vote at all.

bennith13 wrote:Yeah, I am getting really amused with all these people saying that Sacramento is going to out bid us... out bid us? How? The team has been sold, the contract has been signed, and money is exchanging hands in a week. The only way for this not to happen is for the BOG to vote it down. There is no bidding, the bidding is over. The BOG will not vote this down. That is delusion talking. I know. I thought that BOG would vote down our sale and our move because why would anyone in their right mind want to move a team to OKC... and we all know how that turned out.

Bottom line is the NBA owners will not set precedence that could potentially harm themselves down the road if they need to threaten a city over a new arena. The moving option will not get voted down. They also do not want future BOGers to tell them who they can and can not sell to and for how much they can sell for. Listening to the press conference made me feel really bad for the King's fans, and then reading their comments on the general board made me feel even worse. This situation sucks. But gosh darn it... its been five long years...

I have a hard time believing them doing something like this as well.

I mean, that would be a statement saying you can't sell to the guys you want to sell, even if they've got the money, arena and market the league's looking for.
That's just something I have a hard time seeing them do, as quite a few could be asking for the same thing(selling) down the road.

Also, there are some other things to consider.

Those two guys(Mastrov and Burkle) are said to be "considering" about making a bit and weren't willing to commit during that press conference of KJ.
Of course KJ said that he only began assembling that ownership group last week but that's just an excuse.
He knew of the team being available for quite some time(also said a couple days ago that he was aware of those talks since December) and certainly didn't just start last week with that.

During that press conference it was said that they want to build the arena somewhere else then what the agreement last year was for.
Wouldn't that mean another vote by politicians is needed? And wouldn't it mean they'd have to start from scratch on this side of things?

Anyways, should be an interesting ride till the BOG decides on this.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Re: Sonics Presence Resurrected on realgm Main Board? 

Post#164 » by Det the Threat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Det the Threat,

Not a problem.

I am playing by air and we will see what happens.

Thanks man. :thumbsup:
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#165 » by wiff » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Personally I think Bill Laimbeer would be a great hire as head coach. He has direction.

Bill Laimbeer and his Detroit teammates are the only players to have a playoff winning record against NBA legends Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan.

As player:
2× NBA champion (1989–1990)
4× NBA All-Star (1983–1985, 1987)
As coach:
3× WNBA champion (2003, 2006, 2008)
WNBA Coach of the Year (2003)

He played most of his career for Chuck Daly. Tell me if you think Chuck was respected by his peers?

But seriously Bill is a three time champ as a coach. Yes it's the WNBA but the womens game is considered to be more of a team sport. More pure for lack of a better word.

I know everyone hates the guy who played against him or happened to be a fan of a team that wasn't the Pistons but the guy is a proven winner. I'd freakin love to see him coach the new Sonics.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#166 » by OzSonic » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Another KJ presser today apparently huge news was to come out of it. Nothing.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#167 » by Det the Threat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 pm

OzSonic wrote:Another KJ presser today apparently huge news was to come out of it. Nothing.

I don't really get what that press conference was for.

He mentioned that he might be able to name the big investors next week(yesterday it was this week), that a downtown arena would be good, even if there isn't a team in place and that he'll talk to David Stern tomorrow.

So as long as those big investors don't come forward real quick, it's a step back from even yesterday.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#168 » by OzSonic » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Det the Threat wrote:So as long as those big investors don't come forward real quick, it's a step back from even yesterday.

That's 2 days in a row now I've heard the term "Mega Whales" coming. Yesterday was suppose to be the announcment but it was just the local investors, today they were coming and we got 2 more local investors, the mega whales are coming and he's talking to Stern on the telephone.
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#169 » by yearsago » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 am

Nice list. If no Buford, why not presti at gm?
Also doesn't durant have a player option at 2015
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#170 » by bennith13 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:06 am

He is trying to stave off the feelings of defeat and keep his people energized for fight for the team. Did anyone see what the crowd for the Kings game looked like tonight? It is just like when the Sonics were sold and no matter how huge of fans we were it was tough for us to want to keep going to the games knowing that we were going to get attached to players that would probably not be here the following year. Tough situation.

Bottom line for KJ is that no matter what the Kings do, stay or go, he will come out of this looking good. He is doing a good job for his city and I can not help but think that if we would have had leadership like him during I plight we would still have a Sonic team with Durant on it.

Regardless of how I feel about that, KJ and Sacramento have a major up hill climb.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#171 » by wiff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 pm

yearsago wrote:Nice list. If no Buford, why not presti at gm?

I have tried to find out when Presti's contract expires I think he may have just re-signed one. I also don't think Bennett would even let the Sonics talk to him.

I don't see the players option in Durant's contract. And honestly I'd be shocked if he left OKC for Seattle.

I can see LA or New York or Chicago. I think him coming back would be viewed as rubbing OKC's nose in it and I don't see him taking that kind of PR hit. He was only in Seattle for a year and he will have played in OKC for close to a decade.

Don't get me wrong I'd freakin LOVE LOVE LOVE to see him back in Seattle but I just don't think it will happen.

Hit a home run with the GM get lucky with the draft and sign complimentary players.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#172 » by wiff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 pm

bennith13 wrote:He is trying to stave off the feelings of defeat and keep his people energized for fight for the team. Did anyone see what the crowd for the Kings game looked like tonight? It is just like when the Sonics were sold and no matter how huge of fans we were it was tough for us to want to keep going to the games knowing that we were going to get attached to players that would probably not be here the following year. Tough situation.

Bottom line for KJ is that no matter what the Kings do, stay or go, he will come out of this looking good. He is doing a good job for his city and I can not help but think that if we would have had leadership like him during I plight we would still have a Sonic team with Durant on it.

Regardless of how I feel about that, KJ and Sacramento have a major up hill climb.

KJ is a stud and I agree if he was Seattle's mayor we'd still have the Sonics. But unfortunately for him this situation is too little too late. Hansen and the Maloofs are in a legal binding purchase and sale agreement period. As stated above no owner is going to eliminate potential buyers by voting this deal down. I'm sure this group was well aware of Hansen's interest in buying the Kings and moving them long before the rest of us found out about it. If you were going to pay 525 mil don't you think you'd make sure there were not going to be any speed bumps?

I saw where someone posted on the Kings board that they should locate buyers and get an arena deal set up and he got crushed for it. But bottom line that' is exactly what they should start doing.

But in honor of KJ being the kind of mayor he is I'll leave you with this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-8c4zD40fg[/youtube]
Freshman

Post#173 » by 206 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:17 pm

KJ is just blowing smoke at this point. He can't admit defeat until the very end or its bad for his image. I like his passion though.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#174 » by wiff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 pm

MORE on Cousins

I watched the game vs the Suns last night. Cousins is a rebounding machine, awesome passer, has fantastic post moves. POOPY attitude.

His attitude is atrocious. To the point were he was showing up the refs and they started to call the lamest fouls on him in the last 3 minutes of the game. Whatever small chance the Kings had in erasing the 10 point lead with three minutes left Cousins crushed it with his piss poor attitude.

He is a less likable Rasheed Wallace. Kind of similar players, super talented, poopy attitude and zero brain.

However Thomas Robinson had the best game of his young career last night and looked pretty solid. He was a rebounding machine too.
12pts, 14rebs and 2 dimes. Had a pretty awesome dunk too.

By the way don't let the 3 that Cousins hit fool you, it's the first jumper I have seen him hit all week. Well maybe the 3rd jumper.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCngnrvvrqM[/youtube]
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#175 » by yearsago » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 pm

wiff wrote:
yearsago wrote:Nice list. If no Buford, why not presti at gm?

I have tried to find out when Presti's contract expires I think he may have just re-signed one. I also don't think Bennett would even let the Sonics talk to him.

I don't see the players option in Durant's contract. And honestly I'd be shocked if he left OKC for Seattle.

I can see LA or New York or Chicago. I think him coming back would be viewed as rubbing OKC's nose in it and I don't see him taking that kind of PR hit. He was only in Seattle for a year and he will have played in OKC for close to a decade.

Don't get me wrong I'd freakin LOVE LOVE LOVE to see him back in Seattle but I just don't think it will happen.

Hit a home run with the GM get lucky with the draft and sign complimentary players.

I think going back to Seattle would be a bigger pr boost than a pr hit.
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#176 » by Det the Threat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 pm

According to the Sacramento media folks they've now found a first right of refusal for minority owners in the teams contract.

Some are now speculating that the one share of a bankrupt minority owner could be bought by someone wealthy(Burkle) and would allow him to nix the Ballmer/Hansen deal to buy the team himself. I've got a hard time believing anything like that would be possible.
Others also state that this is going to help them in a legal battle as they'd try to go to court for that.

I really don't see how a lawsuit or going to court would ever do them any favours with the NBA.

To me, this situation looks more and more like the one in Seattle five years ago...
wiff
Head Coach

Post#177 » by wiff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:32 pm

yearsago wrote:I think going back to Seattle would be a bigger pr boost than a pr hit.

I hope you're right.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#178 » by wiff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Det the Threat wrote:According to the Sacramento media folks they've now found a first right of refusal for minority owners in the teams contract.

Some are now speculating that the one share of a bankrupt minority owner could be bought by someone wealthy(Burkle) and would allow him to nix the Ballmer/Hansen deal to buy the team himself. I've got a hard time believing anything like that would be possible.
Others also state that this is going to help them in a legal battle as they'd try to go to court for that.

I really don't see how a lawsuit or going to court would ever do them any favours with the NBA.

To me, this situation looks more and more like the one in Seattle five years ago...

What I'd be curious is why does Burkle get first crack at it instead of the guys already buying the team?
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#179 » by Det the Threat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:48 am

wiff wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:According to the Sacramento media folks they've now found a first right of refusal for minority owners in the teams contract.

What I'd be curious is why does Burkle get first crack at it instead of the guys already buying the team?

Well, David Aldridge and others have said that the Maloofs don't want to sell to him at all.

There've been rumors that he's also a guy that's always meeting with people, asking questions, taking notes but never commits to put his money into it afterwards.
That is said to be a reason why the NBA doesn't really regard him that highly.
Not sure if that's true.

BTW: KJ had another press conference talking about having a phone call with Stern and trying to convince guys to step up and put the $ needed into it.
Some are now mentioning Larry Ellison being the "big whale" but I have a hard time seeing it, as he was supposedly offered the same deal as Hansen by the Maloofs and walked away.
Freshman

Post#180 » by 206 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:27 am

This remind me of all the last minute "heroes" coming out in 2008.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball