Welcome Back

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Welcome Back 

Post#1 » by Sweezo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 am

To all those Sonics expatriates who have been wondering what to do with themselves, welcome back. Let the optimism be cautious, let the optimism be guarded, let it be whatever you want it to be as a fan. But let's get some discussion going about the possible return of an NBA team to Seattle.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Welcome Back 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:52 am

Also, given the situation, I hope everyone remembers to be as respectful as absolutely possible to the fan's of all the other teams [potentially] in play here. I remember quite well the sting of OKC fans rubbing on noses in our own misery, and I take no pleasure in knowing what Kings/Hornets/Bobcats fans may go through if their franchise is uprooted.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#3 » by wiff » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 am

Feels pretty good to post back in this forum.

I think Seattle might actually make up for their egregious error in losing the Sonics.

Well at least Hansen is looking to pick up the pieces. I think it's great to bring the NBA back to Seattle. Seattle should have never lost the Sonics in the first place. But I think Hansen is right on point by not only bringing back the NBA but he is also bringing the NHL to Seattle as well.

Why not do it right, if you are going to build an arena, make it big enough to host both NHL and NBA teams.

I really hope though when he buys an NBA team he is honest with the city and straight forward with the fans. Clay Bennett lied from the beginning and never stopped until it was done. I hope their is no back room deals going on.

Obviously I hated the Sonics leaving. It made no sense to move from the 11th or 10th largest market to the 43rd largest market. And once Durant and the rest of the kids grow up and hit free agency or retire OKC is going to feel the brunt of being a small market.

But it makes sense to move a NHL team and an NBA team from a smaller market to a larger market like Seattle. Seattle has already demonstrated that they support their teams 41years of history baby.

It is unfortunate to see another fan base lose a team. But maybe long term it can be a positive. Seattle lost the Sonics because they didn't have their ducks in a row in building a new arena and Howard Schultz is a money grubbing bastard. Now it looks like the city is not only going to get a NBA team back but they can save a fledgling NHL team too.

For the next city that loses their team due to circumstances, maybe down the road a bit they can upscale and find a NHL team or some other team to help share the rent on a new building too.

I'm excited for the NBA to be back that said..........

I do really feel bad for the NBA city that is going to lose their team. Unfortunately it's a business, and eventually the little guy is going to lose.

Hey Sweezo any chance we can find my Durant over Oden thread from way back when? It would be nice to have proof of that.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 am

wiff wrote:But it makes sense to move a NHL team and an NBA team from a smaller market to a larger market like Seattle. Seattle has already demonstrated that they support their teams 41years of history baby.

I'm kind of more excited about an NHL team than NBA at the moment, just because the NHL isn't something we've had local access to. I LOVE live hockey games. I will follow baseball/football/basketball more thoroughly than hockey, but the experience of a live hockey game is unlike any other sport. There is a ton of interest in hockey around here that I think goes unnoticed. In Everett, the 'Tips pull a good crowd and there's always a steady stream of people going into that arena to play.

And if it happens, call them the Seattle Metropolitans. And bring back those awesome jerseys...

wiff wrote:It is unfortunate to see another fan base lose a team. But maybe long term it can be a positive. Seattle lost the Sonics because they didn't have their ducks in a row in building a new arena and Howard Schultz is a money grubbing bastard. Now it looks like the city is not only going to get a NBA team back but they can save a fledgling NHL team too.

I don't and likely never will say KeyArena wasn't a viable NBA arena when the Sonics moved. But a new arena is needed only because that is just what the NBA is about nowadays.

wiff wrote:I do really feel bad for the NBA city that is going to lose their team. Unfortunately it's a business, and eventually the little guy is going to lose.

Same here. It really sucks to take enjoyment out of another team's [potential] misery. God, it frustrated me to see so many OKC fans just not care in the slightest about what was happening to the fans up here. If the Kings move, then our city is taking away the only pro franchise in Sacramento, and I don't know how likely it would be that another franchise would return there. With so many other markets in California that could compete for teams, it's...unfortunate.

About the only thing that gives me some solace is the State of California having so many teams already.

wiff wrote:Hey Sweezo any chance we can find my Durant over Oden thread from way back when? It would be nice to have proof of that.

It should be on here...the Google search bar should help you locate it.
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#5 » by yearsago » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:53 am

Checking in, so would it be off topic to talk NHL here?
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by yearsago » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:58 am

Checking in, so would it be off topic to talk NHL here?
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#7 » by OzSonic » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 am

I still drop in here and see what's been going on from time to time. At least there will be something to discuss now. Sucks for the Kings fans though.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Ex-hippie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:43 am

Hai guise whats going on in this thread?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Sweezo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:13 am

yearsago wrote:Checking in, so would it be off topic to talk NHL here?

Sounds fine to me.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#10 » by bennith13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Did anyone here Nick Licata yesterday on sports radio? I don't care what people say, that guy is an idiot. Its so easy to look pro Sonics now after its all said and done.

Its good to be back on here. I hope everyone can make it back including sonictecture.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#11 » by wiff » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:46 pm

wiff wrote:Hey Sweezo any chance we can find my Durant over Oden thread from way back when? It would be nice to have proof of that.

It should be on here...the Google search bar should help you locate it.[/quote]

Um you mean Google in general? I know the history of our old threads have vanished.
sonic_brazil
Ballboy

Post#12 » by sonic_brazil » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:11 am

Wow, it's good to be back. Everyone seems to be cautiously optimistic, good to see.

Stern is just a disgusting joke, and we'll have a lot of time to bash him, whether things go on well for a franchise in Seattle or not. There are things that will never be understood. Why would Stern and his colleagues take a traditional franchise from a big market to a small market with a small number of fans (fans who could easily disappear after the Durant-Westbrook years)? And why would he want so desperately to keep the Hornets in New Orleans, refusing to sell the team and causing a huge crisis between the owners by keeping the control of the team? I don't think the Hornets is making money to the NBA, probably their financial situation is still no better than the Kings' one. Finally, why he and his owners push forward a stupid lockout asking for "parity", and then giving up of all demands when they got the slice of the BRI they wanted?

Basically, that's why everyone here must be a bit torn about the latest developments. But I don't think anyone here will be sad if the NBA AND the NHL end up in Seattle.

(BTW, here's jsonic007 - unfortunately I lost my password and my old account used an e-mail I don't even remember - I guess I like my new username more, anyway)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Sweezo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:08 am

wiff wrote:
Um you mean Google in general? I know the history of our old threads have vanished.

I hadn't noticed that until right now. Well, that...sucks.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by yearsago » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:19 am

So Jeremy Lin should be the sonic starting pg
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Ex-hippie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:49 pm

yearsago wrote:So Jeremy Lin should be the sonic starting pg

I try to avert my eyes whenever I see NBA news, but I haven't been able to avoid that one. Seems pretty exciting. Although, remember Flip Murray for those few weeks? Also, wasn't there some other UFA guy who took the league by storm, got a big contract and never repeated his performance? (I'll come up with it... really, it's been that long since I've thought about the NBA. You might say, it was yearsago that I paid attention.)
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Ex-hippie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Ex-hippie wrote:
yearsago wrote:So Jeremy Lin should be the sonic starting pg

I try to avert my eyes whenever I see NBA news, but I haven't been able to avoid that one. Seems pretty exciting. Although, remember Flip Murray for those few weeks? Also, wasn't there some other UFA guy who took the league by storm, got a big contract and never repeated his performance? (I'll come up with it... really, it's been that long since I've thought about the NBA. You might say, it was yearsago that I paid attention.)

Marquis Daniels? Was that it?
wiff
Head Coach

Post#17 » by wiff » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:04 pm

So when Seattle lands a team who else thinks they should do what ever it takes to open cap space to go after Durant next time he hits free agency?

We only got to see him for a year, why not dangle the carrot and see if he would want to come back and play in Seattle? I would think that management could be able to make a big push for him and one or maybe two other big time stars.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by Ex-hippie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:14 pm

wiff wrote:So when Seattle lands a team who else thinks they should do what ever it takes to open cap space to go after Durant next time he hits free agency?

We only got to see him for a year, why not dangle the carrot and see if he would want to come back and play in Seattle? I would think that management could be able to make a big push for him and one or maybe two other big time stars.

I don't think Durant wants to come back. He said some pretty unkind things about his experience there. In fact there was a whole Sports Illustrated story portraying his rookie season as a completely depressing experience in a dank and dark city he didn't know, which was followed by his liberation into a bright new future on the plains. Made me want to vomit. And even if they stretched all of that to fit a narrative, he has said "I'm glad we moved" in more than one interview. Which is why I tossed my jersey. F__k Kevin Durant.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Sweezo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Ex-hippie wrote:I try to avert my eyes whenever I see NBA news, but I haven't been able to avoid that one. Seems pretty exciting. Although, remember Flip Murray for those few weeks? Also, wasn't there some other UFA guy who took the league by storm, got a big contract and never repeated his performance? (I'll come up with it... really, it's been that long since I've thought about the NBA. You might say, it was yearsago that I paid attention.)

I was flipping through the channels last night, and saw the LAL/NYK game on. And for the first time since the Sonics left I willfully sat down and watched and NBA game. All because of Lin. UDFA Chinese-American from Harvard dominates the league? Yeah, I had to see that.

He didn't disappoint. Unlike Flip Murray, Lin's not just a scorer...he's also a playmaker.

Ex-hippie wrote:I don't think Durant wants to come back. He said some pretty unkind things about his experience there. In fact there was a whole Sports Illustrated story portraying his rookie season as a completely depressing experience in a dank and dark city he didn't know, which was followed by his liberation into a bright new future on the plains. Made me want to vomit. And even if they stretched all of that to fit a narrative, he has said "I'm glad we moved" in more than one interview. Which is why I tossed my jersey. F__k Kevin Durant.

Bring back Nick Collison!
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#20 » by jenn_gp » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:43 pm

*Peeks head in and waves*

Hi guys! You all know how I feel about the Kings..at least those of you on our Facebook group. :)

It's good to be back. Hope we continue to have positive news over the coming days and weeks ahead.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball