Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#481 » by Det the Threat » Thu May 2, 2013 8:24 pm

Downtown wrote:I think you're talking more from a raw emotional state. The scorched earth policy isn't going to achieve it's goal.

In my opinion the Seattle group still has to deal from a professional business standpoint rather than a threatening stance. I honestly don't have any idea what Hansen has up his sleeve and I am still hanging onto a slim thread of hope with his message about not being done yet, but I just don't see him walking in and threatening every owner.

I do see him being blunt to them about using every legal means until the end and not giving up, and I would expect such, but that is different than being straight up hostile.

Suing is messy, lengthy, leaves a long lasting bad taste, and ultimately there is no guarantee of a win.
This is business and at some point you have to cut a deal. I expect an olive branch from the BOG to Hansens group. I know Hansen said he wants the Kings and nothing else, but I believe he is playing tough business and setting the table for negotiating a guarantee for a team in any shape or form for Seattle, whether it's the Kings or otherwise.

1) Who said that Hansen only wants to Kings and nothing else?
The folks who're saying this are some dudes from the Bay Area who don't know jack about the process and are trying to portrait Hansen as the evil guy that wants to take the Kings and even turns down expansion because of that.

What I do agree with is Hansen using this to pressure the league into giving him a written guarantee of a team within a very short amount of time, which is most likely one or two(at most) years from now.

2) No one on the Hansen camp said anything about suing and those are also rumors by some media folks while the league's already handing out those usual subtile threads of "following the process" etc. as they want Hansen to give in.

Reasoning for that is them not wanting to vote on the sale, as they don't have any argument at all to deny it.

What Hansen said was that they'd keep on going the road they've taken and are fully committed to their PSA with the Maloofs and the process it comes with.

Also, suing would only be a possibility if the NBA does not hand the Kings or a written guarantee for a team to Hansen/Ballmer, because they'd then be most likely out of options for a team before the MOU runs out in 2017.
They wouldn't have anything to lose then and would go for it to show the league that they're not going to be used by them and want some $ to regain some of the money they've already invested.

BTW: Tomorrow's supposedly the day the Sacramento group will have to put down those 50% of the purchase price in escrow.
Many are still not sure about their financial abilities and will watch closely if they're able to do as the NBA has asked them.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#482 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Thu May 2, 2013 9:43 pm

bennith13 wrote:Sense we know that Hansen and Ballmer are going to continue on with their purchase of the Kings, on what ground does the NBA have in rejecting the sale? Are Hansen and Ballmer willing to go Clay Bennett?

I for one am all for that option. I see few other alternatives. Sac fans can call me any name they want, I couldn't care less. Fine, I am a hypocrite and a F...er and whatever else. Bottom line is I want a team. We want a team. The only way to get a team is to take one. That is the game. If Sac (other city) fans really cared they would have spoke up when our team was stolen. Turn about is fair play. We learned the rules, time to play.

Yes, few, if anyone will believe that Hansen/Ballmer would keep the team in Sacramento. If they owned the team they wouldn't have to. Do the exact play book Stern laid out for ole' Clay. Just say they want a 99.9% publicly finance arena is some crazy location that can never be built on. Tear the team apart even more. Trade everyone. Hire some even crappier coach. Move the radio play by play to a radio station that no one gets. Fire any employee that bad mouths the ownership group and or talks about Sacramento in a positive light. Spend less than a month there the entire time they own the team there. Show little to no interest in the team. Make sure the big video and score board catches fire at least three times during the season during any game on any national tv. Fan support dwindles and Hansen/Ballmer can go to the BOG in 2014 and say that they tried their best but that Sacramento just can't come up with a deal. It will be rotten for the fans of Sacramento, but that is what happened to us and if that is how we have to get a team then so be it.

And this, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with the world.

I know you're emotional, but Jesus dude, have you no integrity/principles/heart? And all because YOU want to steal a city's basketball team? This just sounds childishly selfish. Many Kings fans support Seattle and condemn Bennet's actions, but remember WE DIDN'T STEAL YOUR TEAM. Did you expect us to protest Seattle City Council for you guys?
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#483 » by bennith13 » Thu May 2, 2013 11:45 pm

Actually I do not think it is that emotional and I don't think it is childish, although I will admit that it probably is selfish. Its not against Kings fans or a slight on them or because I do not like them. Nothing like that. Its that if that is the only way to get a team back then I think that is what we must do if we want a team. Like I said on the general board, I am not a good enough person to want to take up the martyr mantle. Others on here are. They are more than willing to go without because of principle. I respect that. Maybe that is you, but unless you have gone through the situation and have had time to reflect then it is impossible for you to know.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#484 » by Sweezo » Fri May 3, 2013 12:04 am

Nicky Nix Nook wrote:And this, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with the world.

I know you're emotional, but Jesus dude, have you no integrity/principles/heart? And all because YOU want to steal a city's basketball team? This just sounds childishly selfish. Many Kings fans support Seattle and condemn Bennet's actions, but remember WE DIDN'T STEAL YOUR TEAM. Did you expect us to protest Seattle City Council for you guys?

I am sure there are some Sonics fans who would enjoy seeing the Kings go through the same thing that we went through. That would enjoy having a doomed team play in a doomed arena only to go carpet-bagging up to Seattle the next year. I say this because when the Sonics left for OKC, there were people who delighted in coming over to this board and rubbing it in.

It was miserable, it was pointless, and everyone here hated it. It was hard to tell why some people couldn't just be happy with what they have and leave us alone.

Any Sonics fan with a sense of human decency does not prefer the scenario you described as a means of getting a team in Seattle. Moving the Kings to Seattle and giving Sacramento an expansion team is preferred. Leaving the Kings and giving Seattle an expansion team is preferred. And, I'm sorry, but taking the Kings quickly without lying about what we are doing is preferred over leaving a team where it is with the intent of moving it in the future.

I've not gotten along with all Kings fans given the sheer nature of the issue because that's just the way things are going to be when a situation like this arises.

If you look at the history of many of the posters on here, when the Sonics left town MANY of us were adamant that we'd never take another city's team. Myself among them. I fully admit that and could dig the posts up for you myself. People tried to suggest the Hornets as an option but I flat out said I was against it and would never support the NBA again.

But over time, people can become selfish. And I can't apologize for being selfish. I've seen how hard it is on my community since the team left. I've got friends who are at the age where they are having kids, and friends who had kids who don't have any idea who Kemp/Payton are and don't know where the Thunder came from. I'm probably going to have a kid in the next couple years and one of my most treasure things I ever had in my life was a '79 Sonics Champions T-shirt that my parents bought me when I was only a couple months old. If I have a son or a daughter...I cannot tell how badly I want them be able to share in that.

I don't relish being in a situation where the only way I am happy is if another person just like me has to feel the same pain I did five years ago. It sucks. It's brutal. And it goes against the way I carry myself in just about every other facet of my life.

But it's been five years. And the pain hasn't dulled. A rational person might tell me "dude, it's just sports" but to me there's more to it than that. So while you might a certain level of empathy from Sonics fans, you're not likely to find agreement.

If we don't end up with a team out of this and the Kings stay in Sacramento, you're happy. But our misery continues. It continues with rumors of whether expansion is going to happen. Or whether the Pacers are in play. Or the Bucks. Or whatever other franchise has the misfortune of playing in an arena a bunch of billionaires are tired of in a city that might be on hard times. Over time, memories and interest can fade. And the ownership group we have fighting for us right now is an absolute dream the likes of which a fan doesn't see very often. If this window closes, it may not open again.

As much as I may not want you to experience the pain of losing a team, I don't want to stay on this roller coaster either.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#485 » by bennith13 » Fri May 3, 2013 12:16 am

Exactly
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#486 » by FNQ » Fri May 3, 2013 2:30 am

As a Seattle fan in this, I'd definitely prefer an expansion team than the roster currently in Sacramento. Only reason I'd even want the Kings to move is due to a little side wager I made on a separate forum.

But as a basketball fan, Seattle absolutely deserves a team after what Bennett did to them. The Kings fans showed heart, and KJ was a huge part of all this, but as someone in business, I don't like whats happened here for a few reasons:

1) Hansen had the superior offer and superior plan. The Kings group has been thrown together and hurried plans have been drawn up, and I definitely wouldnt be comfortable with that, at least right now.

2) Stern took a personal interest in this, unlike any other relocating team, ever. He could never get away with that if he weren't half out the door, and it puts Silver in a very uncomfortable position for the next time relocation pops up.

3) Which is really better for the NBA? Even though the #s werent entirely accurate in the SI report, the fact remains that the higher income and higher marketability is in Seattle. The chance for more money, and the increased valuation of the franchise, benefits everyone involved with teams that aren't in Sacramento.

So, on the surface, it looks really shady, and it looks like the NBA just used Seattle to get an ownership group thrown together, while at the same time lowering the market value of the team in the present and likely the future, unless Sacramento gets a massive company like Amazon in there to really boost its economy. Just doesn't pass the smell test... and I dont know that if a bunch of minute details really make up for the valuation difference.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#487 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Mon May 6, 2013 3:40 am

Sweezo wrote:
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:And this, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with the world.

I am sure there are some Sonics fans who would enjoy seeing the Kings go through the same thing that we went through. That would enjoy having a doomed team play in a doomed arena only to go carpet-bagging up to Seattle the next year. I say this because when the Sonics left for OKC, there were people who delighted in coming over to this board and rubbing it in.

It was miserable, it was pointless, and everyone here hated it. It was hard to tell why some people couldn't just be happy with what they have and leave us alone.

Any Sonics fan with a sense of human decency does not prefer the scenario you described as a means of getting a team in Seattle. Moving the Kings to Seattle and giving Sacramento an expansion team is preferred. Leaving the Kings and giving Seattle an expansion team is preferred. And, I'm sorry, but taking the Kings quickly without lying about what we are doing is preferred over leaving a team where it is with the intent of moving it in the future.

I've not gotten along with all Kings fans given the sheer nature of the issue because that's just the way things are going to be when a situation like this arises.

If you look at the history of many of the posters on here, when the Sonics left town MANY of us were adamant that we'd never take another city's team. Myself among them. I fully admit that and could dig the posts up for you myself. People tried to suggest the Hornets as an option but I flat out said I was against it and would never support the NBA again.

But over time, people can become selfish. And I can't apologize for being selfish. I've seen how hard it is on my community since the team left. I've got friends who are at the age where they are having kids, and friends who had kids who don't have any idea who Kemp/Payton are and don't know where the Thunder came from. I'm probably going to have a kid in the next couple years and one of my most treasure things I ever had in my life was a '79 Sonics Champions T-shirt that my parents bought me when I was only a couple months old. If I have a son or a daughter...I cannot tell how badly I want them be able to share in that.

I don't relish being in a situation where the only way I am happy is if another person just like me has to feel the same pain I did five years ago. It sucks. It's brutal. And it goes against the way I carry myself in just about every other facet of my life.

But it's been five years. And the pain hasn't dulled. A rational person might tell me "dude, it's just sports" but to me there's more to it than that. So while you might a certain level of empathy from Sonics fans, you're not likely to find agreement.

If we don't end up with a team out of this and the Kings stay in Sacramento, you're happy. But our misery continues. It continues with rumors of whether expansion is going to happen. Or whether the Pacers are in play. Or the Bucks. Or whatever other franchise has the misfortune of playing in an arena a bunch of billionaires are tired of in a city that might be on hard times. Over time, memories and interest can fade. And the ownership group we have fighting for us right now is an absolute dream the likes of which a fan doesn't see very often. If this window closes, it may not open again.

As much as I may not want you to experience the pain of losing a team, I don't want to stay on this roller coaster either.

Thanks for the post.

All I will say (because most of anything else would be beating a dead horse at this point) I have no problem with wishing for the best outcome for your city and arguing why your city/ownership group is superior, even if I disagree. My problem is people willing to compromise their ethics for their own personal gain. As you said, this is bigger than sports, you and I have common ground in that regard, but I feel like that only strengthens my point. You wouldn't just be taking someone's basketball team, you'd be taking a city's identity, you'd be robbing the children of OUR community, you'd be breaking the hearts of countless fans who have grown up their entire life supporting this team.

Let's be real, Sacramento rose to the occasion. If we didn't put forth the kind of effort we did and demonstrate just how viable Sacramento is as an NBA city, we'd have no room to talk. But what Kevin Johnson and our community was able to pull off was incredible, and I feel like, at a point, you just tip your hat and look forward to other solutions.

The other thing is, if the Kings moved to Seattle, Sacramento's chance at getting an expansion team, I'd estimate, are far less than Seattle. Seattle is first in line right now, and I feel very strongly that Seattle will see the NBA return sooner than later. I don't think I could say the same for Sacramento if put in the same situation. There would be so much competition with other cities who want an NBA franchise, and I just don't feel like Sac would have that same priority.

I love Seattle, my grandparents used to live there, so I'd visit quite often. It's unfortunate that somehow two great cities with amazing fan bases have been put in this position.

(Remember when I said I'm not gonna beat a dead horse...I guess I kinda failed :lol: )
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#488 » by Downtown » Mon May 6, 2013 9:52 pm

I've got to give the Sacramento group credit. They couldn't come up wit the same dollars to match the revised Seattle offer so instead they work an end round to bribe the other owners without it being a straight up bribe.

If I were an owner and one of the competing bids said look, we may not be able to come up with the same dollars for the Maloofs, but we will give you guys our share of revenue sharing instead I know I would lean in their favour.

Call it unethical or not but it was a very slick manoeuvre.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#489 » by OzSonic » Mon May 6, 2013 9:53 pm

If the shoe was on the other foot I'm sure you wouldn't be against trying to pry another team away. I'm sure most fans out there would look out for their selves rather than someone they don't know. 5 years ago most said in here they wouldn't want to go down this path. Until you actually lose a team you'll never know what it's like.

The way the team was taken in 2008 was wrong, most people who have done their history know this now so because of this as Sonics fans we should never have another team? I don't think anyone wanted to rip the hearts out of a city but this is the only option available.

Feel free to quote me again YC42Balla. :lol:
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#490 » by Downtown » Mon May 6, 2013 10:18 pm

If Hansen would have thought this one up instead of offering that extra $25mil to the Maloofs I really wonder if they would have got the nod instead.

We'll never know. But desperate people make desperate moves when faced with a crisis and the Sacramento side threw in a desperate tactic that obviously worked.

I don't think we'll ever know as well who actually came up with this idea, whether it was from the Sacramento group internally or advised from someone else( I think you know what I mean). But given that Kevin Johnson has been dealing with the NBA much longer than Chris Hansen it isn't a stretch to see that he has far more knowledge of how the NBA owners and league office ticks.

This raises a question for me. Does anyone know if Hansen and Balmer had any NBA experienced advisors working for them other than long out of the loop Wally Walker?
OzSonic
Starter

Post#491 » by OzSonic » Mon May 6, 2013 10:39 pm

As you said Downtown we'll never know. The tactic was a good one and looks to be the key reason for the vote going their way. Well played. It's a risk though and would have given more fuel to the anti-arena crowd. Something the group didn't need.

In regards to NBA advisors. In the public eye it was just Wally Walker but who knows who is behind the scenes.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#492 » by Sweezo » Tue May 7, 2013 8:26 pm

Downtown wrote:If Hansen would have thought this one up instead of offering that extra $25mil to the Maloofs I really wonder if they would have got the nod instead.

We'll never know. But desperate people make desperate moves when faced with a crisis and the Sacramento side threw in a desperate tactic that obviously worked.

I don't think we'll ever know as well who actually came up with this idea, whether it was from the Sacramento group internally or advised from someone else( I think you know what I mean). But given that Kevin Johnson has been dealing with the NBA much longer than Chris Hansen it isn't a stretch to see that he has far more knowledge of how the NBA owners and league office ticks.

This raises a question for me. Does anyone know if Hansen and Balmer had any NBA experienced advisors working for them other than long out of the loop Wally Walker?

Chris Daniels' reported that the Seattle group had had conversations with the NBA and agreed to a revenue cap months ago. So who knows how much of an advantage Sacramento has w/r/t to this agreement?
NekiEcko
Bench Warmer
And1: 336

Post#493 » by NekiEcko » Fri May 10, 2013 7:17 pm

It look like Mr Hansen has raised his bid to 625m, and they will pay into the Revenue Sharing if the team moves to Seattle even in the Key Arena. I dont even know if Sacto can even match that.
Supersonics41
Senior
And1: 104

Post#494 » by Supersonics41 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:49 pm

In an effort to further demonstrate the extent of our commitment to bring basketball back to Seattle, we have elected to voluntarily increase our proposed purchase price for the Sacramento Kings NBA Franchise by $75 million — from an enterprise value of $550 million to $625 million. In conjunction with our revised offer, we have also guaranteed to the NBA that the Franchise would be a revenue sharing payer in all years in Seattle.

We would also like to take the opportunity to again point out just how far ahead our Arena project is:
The ownership group has acquired 100% of the property necessary to construct the Arena.
We have 100% of our private financing for the Arena committed and in place.
After being approved by the City and County Councils the Arena MOU/legislation was signed into law by the Seattle Mayor and King County Executive on October 16, 2012. The referendum period expired 30 days later.
We engaged our Arena architects two years ago and have completed our detailed design schematics and costing.
We have filed for our Master Use Permit and are well underway with the Environmental Review Process, which we expect to conclude late this year.

While we appreciate that this is a very difficult decision for the league and owners, we hope it is understood that we really believe the time is now to bring the NBA back to Seattle, and that it is paramount that we do everything we can to put Seattle’s best foot forward in this process.

— Chris Hansen

No matter the result, as a fan, you gotta absolutely love this man & group behind this! :clap: :clap:
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#495 » by No Offense » Fri May 10, 2013 7:57 pm

NekiEcko wrote:It look like Mr Hansen has raised his bid to 625m, and they will pay into the Revenue Sharing if the team moves to Seattle even in the Key Arena. I dont even know if Sacto can even match that.

No matter how this ends for the Kings and Seattle, Hansen is making a case for getting an NBA team in Seattle one way or another. It's probabl;y not what Sonics fans want to hear right now, but this increased bid could very well be Hansen sending a message to the NBA to expand once the current TV deal is complete.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#496 » by Sweezo » Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 pm

No Offense wrote:No matter how this ends for the Kings and Seattle, Hansen is making a case for getting an NBA team in Seattle one way or another. It's probabl;y not what Sonics fans want to hear right now, but this increased bid could very well be Hansen sending a message to the NBA to expand once the current TV deal is complete.

I think he's also openly daring the NBA to [1] turn him down, [2] force the Maloofs to accept a lesser deal, and [3] consider whether they want to deal with the fallout. I don't know that Hansen would go so far as to file a lawsuit, but steps like these make it appear that he's willing to. And sometimes appearance is all that matters.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#497 » by Supersonics41 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Sweezo wrote:I think he's also openly daring the NBA to [1] turn him down, [2] force the Maloofs to accept a lesser deal, and [3] consider whether they want to deal with the fallout. I don't know that Hansen would go so far as to file a lawsuit, but steps like these make it appear that he's willing to. And sometimes appearance is all that matters.

Exactly.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#498 » by OzSonic » Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Sweezo wrote:
I think he's also openly daring the NBA to [1] turn him down, [2] force the Maloofs to accept a lesser deal, and [3] consider whether they want to deal with the fallout. I don't know that Hansen would go so far as to file a lawsuit, but steps like these make it appear that he's willing to. And sometimes appearance is all that matters.

All 3 are going to weigh in. I don't think continuously upping the bid is a guarantee to get the team but certainly makes the NBA's decision a lot harder. I'm starting to get hope again, this is killing me.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#499 » by blind prophet » Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 am

NekiEcko wrote:It look like Mr Hansen has raised his bid to 625m, and they will pay into the Revenue Sharing if the team moves to Seattle even in the Key Arena. I dont even know if Sacto can even match that.

meh....

Just because one fella pays even a billion dollars for something does not mean the next guy will.

The franchise is worth what someone will pay for it, that the league decides to sell to, not what it sold for yesterday.

Done deal, everyone knows this besides Hansen.

Apparently Hansen didn't get that 7-0 memo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA[/youtube]
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#500 » by Supersonics41 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:18 am

blind prophet wrote:

meh....

Just because one fella pays even a billion dollars for something does not mean the next guy will.

The franchise is worth what someone will pay for it, that the league decides to sell to, not what it sold for yesterday.

Done deal, everyone knows this besides Hansen.

Apparently Hansen didn't get that 7-0 memo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA[/youtube]

Nice try, but Poor job of trolling! :roll:

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball