Kings & Hansen saga

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Re: Maloofs are selling to Hansen's group 

Post#41 » by bennith13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 am

The King's franchise is worth far more to an ownership group that wants to move it than it is to an ownership group that wants to keep the team in Sacramento. Same problem we had originally when OKC extremely overpaid for the Sonics.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#42 » by bennith13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:58 am

OzSonic wrote:
Sweezo wrote:Now on KJR they are indicating a Sacramento beat reporter is saying the offer was rejected by the Maloofs. *sigh* So much info right now...

Weren't there the similar reports in Seattle after it was announced they would move basically along the lines of the fight is not over etc.

Yes! They told us we could still fight to keep the team and that it wasn't a done deal. All lies. They fooled us. For this to come out if definitely means the wheels are in motion. Probably by the end of the month we hear if its a go or not. If not by the end of the month it is very unlikely that we have a team here for the next season.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#43 » by Det the Threat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:59 am

I think we'll have to do be patient quite a bit.

There'll be rumors flying around quite a bit and if this will really take till the end of the month it will be quite some time for all kinds of things to be tossed out there.

In the end, I think it's a great thing for us cause even if Sac does somehow find a way to keep the Kings, I believe that the league will then hand us an expansion team given that those rumors helped seal the deal in Sacramento.

Anyways it should be an interesting final 20 something days of this month....
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#44 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
In the end, I think it's a great thing for us cause even if Sac does somehow find a way to keep the Kings, I believe that the league will then hand us an expansion team given that those rumors helped seal the deal in Sacramento.

I can't see the NBA ever expanding over 30 teams in North America.

Teams will move, but we won't see an expansion franchise again I don't think.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#45 » by Sweezo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 pm

bennith13 wrote:The King's franchise is worth far more to an ownership group that wants to move it than it is to an ownership group that wants to keep the team in Sacramento. Same problem we had originally when OKC extremely overpaid for the Sonics.

Fair point. After thinking about it for a day, the spin coming out of Sacramento yesterday seemed all too familiar. Watching KJ's press conference where he said one thing but looked defeated. Hearing about how a local billionaire who sat idly by would swoop in at the last minute to keep the team there. It's the same thing we went through.

In hindsight, I'd have much had Clay come in, buy the team, and say at the press conference 'yep, we're planning on moving the team to OKC. Sorry about that.' Being fed little bits of hope from various sources didn't do the fanbase any good and just prolonged a rather painful process.

For the sake of an agonizing fanbase in Sacramento who's been jerked around for several years, and an agonized fanbase in Seattle who is hoping to be made whole again, I hope this process is dealt with as quickly as possible.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#46 » by wiff » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Sweezo wrote:For the sake of an agonizing fanbase in Sacramento who's been jerked around for several years, and an agonized fanbase in Seattle who is hoping to be made whole again, I hope this process is dealt with as quickly as possible.

Same here. Clay saying he was going to make an effort to keep the team was a total joke. He simply should have said he was going to move them from the get go. He totally left the fan base in limbo for a year. What a jerk.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by bennith13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Sweezo wrote:
bennith13 wrote:The King's franchise is worth far more to an ownership group that wants to move it than it is to an ownership group that wants to keep the team in Sacramento. Same problem we had originally when OKC extremely overpaid for the Sonics.

Fair point. After thinking about it for a day, the spin coming out of Sacramento yesterday seemed all too familiar. Watching KJ's press conference where he said one thing but looked defeated. Hearing about how a local billionaire who sat idly by would swoop in at the last minute to keep the team there. It's the same thing we went through.

In hindsight, I'd have much had Clay come in, buy the team, and say at the press conference 'yep, we're planning on moving the team to OKC. Sorry about that.' Being fed little bits of hope from various sources didn't do the fanbase any good and just prolonged a rather painful process.

For the sake of an agonizing fanbase in Sacramento who's been jerked around for several years, and an agonized fanbase in Seattle who is hoping to be made whole again, I hope this process is dealt with as quickly as possible.

Exactly, remember all the little nuggets of information that would come out every once in a while that would give us false hope that we could fight to keep the team? Media people in Seattle said the team would never move because there was too much history here or that the NBA would never move a team from a big market to such a small market. Or remember at the very end when we all thought that the other NBA owners would veto the move because they somehow would choose us over one of their fellow owners? How naive we were. I feel bad for the Sacramento fans, but it seems like a lot of that false sense of hope is coming out and going to continue to come out for them.

I remember how the OKC people kept tell us that it was a done deal right from the first press conference Clay had. It seemed like their media was more in tune with that was really going on while ours was bitching about Clay and tell us the team would never move. Seems like a lot of that is happening too.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by bennith13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 pm

wiff wrote:
Sweezo wrote:For the sake of an agonizing fanbase in Sacramento who's been jerked around for several years, and an agonized fanbase in Seattle who is hoping to be made whole again, I hope this process is dealt with as quickly as possible.

Same here. Clay saying he was going to make an effort to keep the team was a total joke. He simply should have said he was going to move them from the get go. He totally left the fan base in limbo for a year. What a jerk.

The hope that came out every once in a while is what made the move hurt even more... at least to me. The idea that we could do something and that we kept fighting up until the very end but to no avail was very painful. As much as it would have hurt to hear Clay say from the beginning that he was going to move the team I think it would have been easier to not make him out as the bad guy and to target all of our rage to our politicians and to Howard Schultz.
Freshman
And1: 2

Re: So if you bought the Kings? 

Post#49 » by 206 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 am

I think we should keep Cousins. The dude has potential to be all world if he keeps his head on straight. Hopefully we take control by March and force some trades.

1. Tyreke Evans needs to go. He has no position in the NBA and hasn't shown he has the work ethic to find one. However, his value is still high.

Wilson Chandler + 1st for Tyreke works for both teams. Chandler is coming off a hip injury and plays the same position as Gallinari.

2. Thomas Robinson has been underwhelming. However, since he's a Rookie he still has value. Even if he starts playing well, he won't compliment DMC. Cousins needs a defensive shot blocker playing alongside him and Robinson wasn't that in college.

Off season: Josh Smith for Robinson + Denver 1st.

3. Make cousins the Center Piece, probably landa a Top 5 pick draft Shabazz or Mclemore.

4. Rodney Stuckey for John Salmons + Denver First. (Stuckey becomes an expiring at start of next season - tradeable asset). Seattle Native :D

5. Marcus Thorton for Dasagna Diop + Charlotte owned Detroit 1st Round pick. (Diop = expiring)

Isaiah /Stuckey/Fredette
Shabazz/Stuckey
Chandler/Johnson
Smith/Thompson/Hayes
Counsins/Thompson/Hayes

Top 5 defense.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#50 » by wiff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Well this doesn't look good.

http://seattletimes.com/html/sports/202 ... ngs11.html

The Seattle Times learned from an NBA source Thursday that the family that owns the Kings wants to keep a say in how the team is run, even if they sell it to Chris Hansen, who has a deal in place to build a new arena in Seattle if he can buy a team to play in it.

Seriously you want to sell the team but still have a say in operations? Is that because things have been going so well for you down in Sacramento?

Sorry but no way would I buy the team with that kind of ridiculous clause in the contract.
wiff
Head Coach

Post#51 » by wiff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Looks like we have a team guys and gals.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225541/Report_Kings_To_Be_Sold_For_$525M_Maloofs_Completely_Out

The Sacramento Kings will be sold to an ownership group that will move the franchise to Seattle for $525 million, according to a source. The source also said that the Maloof family will have no ownership stake or decision-making within the franchise, which has been a reported point of contention during negotiations.
el_tiburon
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#52 » by el_tiburon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 pm

I still remember the day the SuperSonics-Forum went to this place and we do now know nearly for sure that it was very right that it wasn´t deleted.

I´m still sick of Stern and the NBA-owner beside of Cuban that has no problem with moving the 41y SuperSonics and i did not bought any NBA-stuff or watch any NBA-Basketball since the day the Sonics moved but if it really happens and Seattle is back on the map, it will be a great sign of how a strong Basketball Community can bounce back.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Sweezo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 pm

wiff wrote:Looks like we have a team guys and gals.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225541/Report_Kings_To_Be_Sold_For_$525M_Maloofs_Completely_Out

The Sacramento Kings will be sold to an ownership group that will move the franchise to Seattle for $525 million, according to a source. The source also said that the Maloof family will have no ownership stake or decision-making within the franchise, which has been a reported point of contention during negotiations.

I'm just needing to hear that Hansen has called a press conference. Until that happens, for my own sanity, I'm remaining skeptical.

But boy does it seem close...so agonizingly close!
Freshman

Post#54 » by 206 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 pm

I think a deal is eminent. However, if this somehow falls through you can be sure the owner of the Grizzlies will be calling Hansen at the end of this season. $525million is ridiculous!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Sweezo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 pm

[quote="206"]I think a deal is eminent. However, if this somehow falls through you can be sure the owner of the Grizzlies will be calling Hansen at the end of this season. $525million is ridiculous![quote]

The Grizzlies were just sold in Oct. '12 and have a lease that runs through 2021. I think they're an unrealistic target.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by yearsago » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:40 am

Sweezo wrote:
206 wrote:I think a deal is eminent. However, if this somehow falls through you can be sure the owner of the Grizzlies will be calling Hansen at the end of this season. $525million is ridiculous!

The Grizzlies were just sold in Oct. '12 and have a lease that runs through 2021. I think they're an unrealistic target.

What is the penalty to break the lease? 100 milliOn?

Saw this:

“@kcrabienick: Steve Pyeatt of Save Our Sonics says sources tell him Hansen deal for #NBAKings is more than handshake, it's on paper.”
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
Freshman

Post#57 » by 206 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:30 am

Sweezo wrote:
206 wrote:I think a deal is eminent. However, if this somehow falls through you can be sure the owner of the Grizzlies will be calling Hansen at the end of this season. $525million is ridiculous!

My mistake, I meant Milluwakee and somehow ended up with the Grizzlies.
Supersonics41
Senior
And1: 104

Post#58 » by Supersonics41 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:52 am

The writing is on the wall for sacramento, this thing is over! Thank you, Mr. Hansen & co.!! :D
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by bennith13 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:08 am

I dont want to say this where lots of people will see this, but any hope of local Sacramento owners paying close to what Hansen and group are willing to pay is a pipe dream. The guy that started 24 hour fitness has a net worth of $300 million. That is a lot of money, but no where near close to the amount it would take to pay $500+ for a team. Even if he brought in more investers it would take a group with well over 1 billion to pay $500+ million for a team and then the additional $200 million or whatever it is to put in the amount of money the city needs to help build a new arena there.

Lots of false hope down there just like we had when news came out about the Sonics sale. Tough situation. I am hearing that next week we will know for sure that Hansen has acquired the team. Until then I am holding my breath.
Supersonics41
Senior
And1: 104

Post#60 » by Supersonics41 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:21 am

bennith13 wrote:I dont want to say this where lots of people will see this, but any hope of local Sacramento owners paying close to what Hansen and group are willing to pay is a pipe dream. The guy that started 24 hour fitness has a net worth of $300 million. That is a lot of money, but no where near close to the amount it would take to pay $500+ for a team. Even if he brought in more investers it would take a group with well over 1 billion to pay $500+ million for a team and then the additional $200 million or whatever it is to put in the amount of money the city needs to help build a new arena there.

Lots of false hope down there just like we had when news came out about the Sonics sale. Tough situation. I am hearing that next week we will know for sure that Hansen has acquired the team. Until then I am holding my breath.

You're right on point!!

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball