NBA Expansion- Discussion

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,465

Re: Relocation? 

Post#21 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:54 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Expansion likely won't even be voted on for a few years at the minimum.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nbcsports.com/2022/06/11/report-dont-expect-nba-expansion-talk-until-after-new-cba-tv-deal-in-place/amp/

Relocation looks like the only possibility for the next few years.

I did not come away with that conclusion at all after reading the article. As far as when expansion will happen? It's still a complete unknown. It seems to be implied that expansion will be postponed. But Relocation is still not a realistic option at this point.

Will expansion occur? Yes. We may just have to wait a little longer for it. If 2024 or '25 is a more realistic timeline for an announcement. That's not too far out, if we're being honest here.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: Bringing Back the Sonics! 

Post#22 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Sep 7, 2022 9:20 pm

Willie Ramirez of the AP reports that sources have told him that the NBA wants to announce expansion plans to both Seattle and Las Vegas during this preseason. It's long been the expectation that when the NBA expands that Seattle and Las Vegas would be near the top of the list of cities under consideration.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#23 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Sep 8, 2022 12:34 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Willie Ramirez of the AP reports that sources have told him that the NBA wants to announce expansion plans to both Seattle and Las Vegas during this preseason. It's long been the expectation that when the NBA expands that Seattle and Las Vegas would be near the top of the list of cities under consideration.

The tweet was deleted. :wink:

Read on Twitter
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#24 » by Det the Threat » Thu Sep 8, 2022 8:56 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Willie Ramirez of the AP reports that sources have told him that the NBA wants to announce expansion plans to both Seattle and Las Vegas during this preseason. It's long been the expectation that when the NBA expands that Seattle and Las Vegas would be near the top of the list of cities under consideration.

The tweet was deleted. :wink:

Read on Twitter

Can't wait for someone to tease another announcement or return of the Sonics around February and the owner meetings.
Of course just for Silver to give an interview and talk about "now is not the time".... :lol:

BTW:
That sums it up.
Read on Twitter
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Det the Threat » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:08 pm

Nothing new from Tod Leiweke.

We won't get ahead of the NBA on that
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Re: NBA Expansion 

Post#26 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:51 am

Read on Twitter
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Det the Threat » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:36 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

OK, so...

Yay or Nay?

The rest doesn't matter and just bores the f*** out of me as it's put up or shut up time for the NBA.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:01 pm

Edit: Here's a link to the ESPN article:

Read on Twitter

Silver also addressed a question about league expansion, which he told Suns employees the league will look at more closely once it is through its upcoming television rights negotiations. (The NBA's current TV rights package, a nine-year deal with ESPN and Turner Sports, is slated to expire after the 2024-25 season.)

In order to evaluate any teams coming in, we need to know where we stand from a media standpoint; that's obviously our most significant form of revenue overall," Silver told employees.

But Silver also discussed the "potential dilution of talent" -- that is, adding more teams would weaken the overall product.

"None of us can remember going into a season where there was a perception of so much competition, but, still, the goal is to have 30 competitive teams, not 20, or whatever it is, so think we do pay attention to the dilution factor," he told employees.

Still, Silver said that the league is, overall, doing well and that there is no shortage of strong candidates for new teams in new cities, though he didn't name any specific cities. Las Vegas and Seattle are considered likely candidates for new NBA teams should the league expand.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Det the Threat » Tue Nov 1, 2022 6:27 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Edit: Here's a link to the ESPN article:

Read on Twitter

Silver also addressed a question about league expansion, which he told Suns employees the league will look at more closely once it is through its upcoming television rights negotiations. (The NBA's current TV rights package, a nine-year deal with ESPN and Turner Sports, is slated to expire after the 2024-25 season.)

In order to evaluate any teams coming in, we need to know where we stand from a media standpoint; that's obviously our most significant form of revenue overall," Silver told employees.

But Silver also discussed the "potential dilution of talent" -- that is, adding more teams would weaken the overall product.

"None of us can remember going into a season where there was a perception of so much competition, but, still, the goal is to have 30 competitive teams, not 20, or whatever it is, so think we do pay attention to the dilution factor," he told employees.

Still, Silver said that the league is, overall, doing well and that there is no shortage of strong candidates for new teams in new cities, though he didn't name any specific cities. Las Vegas and Seattle are considered likely candidates for new NBA teams should the league expand.

OK, so another round of "not now" by the league.

I also find it cringeworthy that he's now also talking about "potential dilution of talent" to stall those talks.

The NBA is the only one of the four major sports leagues with less than 32 teams, while it also requires the lowest number of players.
It's also the only one of those leagues with an actual global game that's probably #2 world wide(behind soccer, which no one will beat) in active players and has loads of talent to choose from given how easy(cheap/affordable) it is to play the game.

But hey, let's wait another decade to eventually bring a team back to Seattle, that should've never left.
Maybe they can win over those 30 year olds who still remember their parents talking about how the city actually had a team before....
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,874

Post#30 » by Dick Tate » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:59 pm

Now they're throwing Mexico City into the mix. Probably planning on having a bidding war when the time comes. Fun.
OzzyOzz
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: NBA Expansion- Updates & Discussion 

Post#31 » by OzzyOzz » Mon May 22, 2023 12:21 am

We're getting a team in 2026, it will be announced in 2025. So, let's start getting ready...

Who as GM?
Who to draft?
Who to draft in expansion draft?
Redesign team logo?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#32 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 22, 2023 12:30 am

OzzyOzz wrote:We're getting a team in 2026, it will be announced in 2025. So, let's start getting ready...

Who as GM?
Who to draft?
Redesign team logo?

You got a source?
OzzyOzz
Ballboy

Post#33 » by OzzyOzz » Mon May 22, 2023 6:19 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
OzzyOzz wrote:We're getting a team in 2026, it will be announced in 2025. So, let's start getting ready...

Who as GM?
Who to draft?
Redesign team logo?

You got a source?

No, not at all. Just a hunch. CBA and TV contracts expire over the next 2 years...so if there ever was a time for it, it's now. Expansion is long overdue. Seattle has everything in place. I mean, they aren't going to say no to money. Expansion in 2026 isn't just me speculating, lots of people see it too.. because it makes sense from a business standpoint. I'm more than optimistic. I'm expectant.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,874

Post#34 » by Dick Tate » Tue May 23, 2023 11:19 pm

Who as GM?
Who to draft?
Redesign team logo?

Have you heard what's going to happen to the Blazers? 8-) :P
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by DoItALL9 » Wed May 24, 2023 6:39 pm

OzzyOzz wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Who as GM?
Who to draft?
Redesign team logo?

You got a source?

No, not at all. Just a hunch. CBA and TV contracts expire over the next 2 years...so if there ever was a time for it, it's now. Expansion is long overdue. Seattle has everything in place. I mean, they aren't going to say no to money. Expansion in 2026 isn't just me speculating, lots of people see it too.. because it makes sense from a business standpoint. I'm more than optimistic. I'm expectant.
Were you optimistic or expectant during the last two CBA negotiations and TV deal renewals? Why or why not?

OzzyOzz
Ballboy

Post#36 » by OzzyOzz » Thu May 25, 2023 5:14 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
OzzyOzz wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:You got a source?

Were you optimistic or expectant during the last two CBA negotiations and TV deal renewals? Why or why not?

No. It was too soon, the Key Arena only recently finished renovations, and also a newish comish would be hesitant to instantly add teams out of nowhere.

None of those things are factors anymore.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#37 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 5, 2023 4:08 am

Read on Twitter
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 10:37 pm

It's a shame money is making them slow-play this process.

payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,245

Post#39 » by payton2kemp » Tue Jul 4, 2023 12:41 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

I just don't see it happening. The value of the expansion fee is going to be less valuable than the new TV deal with two less teams to share it with overtime. Might be valuable for owners looking to sell, but owners who want to keep their teams long term would probably rather keep the share of the TV revenue.

Unless the expansion fee is like $5 or $6 billion.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Re: NBA Expansion- Discussion 

Post#40 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball