OT: Vancouver Grizzlies

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

OT: Vancouver Grizzlies 

Post#1 » by Huskies1947 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:58 pm

I figured this post belonged here more so than the general board as it's the cloest thing to a "Defunct Teams" forum I've seen on other sports forums.

It would be nice to see the Grizz and Sonics both back - That fanbase got royally screwed but it kind of gets swept under the rug because the history was not there compared to a team like the Sonics.

There is a documentary being put together I think similar to Sonics gate coming out later this year or next.

https://vimeo.com/731474475

This is a video I kind of strung together with some clips that kind of showed the true narrative other than just "Vancouver didn't support the team" ignorance.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,465

Re: Vancouver Grizzlies 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:39 pm

Huskies1947 wrote:I figured this post belonged here more so than the general board as it's the cloest thing to a "Defunct Teams" forum I've seen on other sports forums.

It would be nice to see the Grizz and Sonics both back - That fanbase got royally screwed but it kind of gets swept under the rug because the history was not there compared to a team like the Sonics.

There is a documentary being put together I think similar to Sonics gate coming out later this year or next.

This is a video I kind of strung together with some clips that kind of showed the true narrative other than just "Vancouver didn't support the team" ignorance.

It's a shame. Vancouver would be one of the better markets in the league today. Stern & the owners made a colossal mistake leaving it behind.

I've always thought that Vancouver should be the next in line for expansion. It seems the league has prioritized Las Vegas instead.

If there are any Vancouver fans still active that post? My hope is that they will leave a response. Cheers! :beer:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Huskies1947
Head Coach

Re: Vancouver Grizzlies 

Post#3 » by Huskies1947 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Huskies1947 wrote:I figured this post belonged here more so than the general board as it's the cloest thing to a "Defunct Teams" forum I've seen on other sports forums.

It's a shame. Vancouver would be one of the better markets in the league today. Stern & the owners made a colossal mistake leaving it behind.

I've always thought that Vancouver should be the next in line for expansion. It seems the league has prioritized Las Vegas instead.

If there are any Vancouver fans still active that post? My hope is that they will leave a response. Cheers! :beer:

The US media is definitely whispering Vegas but I don't think it's a slam dunk - maybe but I feel like with a market that small to have a Baseball team (As likely to relocate there), NFL, and NHL it's pretty stretched - also that All Star game in Vegas got very ugly crime wise. US media does not acknowledge a group in Montreal getting ready for NBA expansion (they have been talking to the league since like 2016) but they have been quiet.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24958540/quebec-group-taking-shot-nba-expansion-team-montreal

Vancouver I am not sure to be honest - apparently people are kicking the tires, the Canucks have in the past but were told no by the NBA when they tried to get the hornets there temporarily rather than OKC (which coincidently would have been good for Seattle if the team didn't end up in OKC). Canada definitely can support two NBA teams if not three.

Seattle definitely is getting a team - but I am hoping the NBA shocks the media and chooses a Canadian city selfishly. I don;'t know how much Vegas expands the NBA's map. Plus TV deals in Canada are getting more and more lucrative.

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: OT: Vancouver Grizzlies 

Post#4 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:42 pm

At first thought it may be to Vancouver's advantage if the NBA doesn't add the next two teams at the same time.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#5 » by BlackThought » Fri Aug 5, 2022 3:14 am

I became a Raptor fan after the Grizz left. Honestly the Grizz sucked. I remember going to at least 10+ Grizz games and they lost every single one of them.
Huskies1947
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Huskies1947 » Tue Aug 9, 2022 2:46 pm

https://thegrizzlietruth.com/

Apparently the documentary is coming out this fall.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#7 » by ItsDanger » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:49 pm

Saw the Grizzlie Truth doc as I was around both franchises to some extent back in the day. Not bad but I still feel some aspects were sugarcoated. Here's her earlier effort about Big Country Reeves which was well done.

Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#8 » by DoctaJ » Tue Jul 4, 2023 9:01 pm

I'll have to check out both of those ^. Thanks Cactus for shouting out this thread on the GB post - didn't know it existed. I started off a Grizzlies fan, then Seattle/Lakers fan before I ended up a Raptors/Lakers fan. Can't wait for Seattle (and hopefully Van) to get a team back one day.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#9 » by playaloc916 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 2:20 am

I started off a Sonics fan, then got really excited when Vancouver got a team. Too bad the product they put out was terrible. Those aqua green jerseys with the weird borders on the neck and sleeves... Big freakin' Country... I only went to one game (I was in high school), and I think it was already announced that the team was leaving. It was against another team I liked, the Trailblazers when they had Sheed. Grizz actually won that game, lol.

Every once in awhile Steve Nash would hold some charity games which was nice, and there was even some kind of exhibition game between Canada and China. I remember watching Kelly Olynyk and Robert Sacre in that game. The highlight of that game for me was making direct eye contact with Yi Jianlian for a few seconds during a timeout, lol.

By default I followed the Raptors, not because they were "Canada's team" or anything like that, but because that was the only way to consistently watch basketball games. After awhile I started following teams because of players. Was a big fan of the Webber/Peja/Bibby Kings, then the Yao/Francis -> TMac Rockets, then finally settled with the Elton Brand/Sam Cassell/Corey Maggette Clippers.

Seattle deserves a team more than Vancouver. Vancouver getting a team again would be more of a "nice to have".
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,465

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 8, 2023 4:20 pm

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball