When is the trading begins

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

sonic-ben
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

When is the trading begins 

Post#1 » by sonic-ben » Tue Jan 1, 2008 6:01 pm

Watson and Ridnour

Please take us out of our misery...

play Wild West and Gelabale till next year
Go cougs
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#2 » by sonictecture » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:29 am

I'm in favor of being put out of our collective misery, but I think you are ignoring the potential increased misery of playing West and Gelabale in place of Watson and Ridnour.
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#3 » by D5150 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:21 am

yeah, watson has been playing pretty well lately. i still dont think he is a starter on a playoff team, but he can hold down the fort for the time being.
ridour on the other hand.......as soon as he is healthy, it is time to showcase him, then move him. he needs a change of scenery.
Don't act like you're not impressed.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#4 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:38 am

Yeah..trade one or the other, not both. Unless we can get a starting pg for both of them, which is really very unlikely.
sonic-ben
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by sonic-ben » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:38 am

I sick of watson holding onto the ball...
lack of movement

Ridnour can shoot

Gelabale will pass and as a team play pretty good because of team ball movement... 6-7 fits his game and defensively give pt Guard trouble with his size and they can not physical him like some shooting guards

West is agressive can shoot .. yet sometime forces passes

Need to get rid of a PtG if we draft a PTG next year
Go cougs
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Re: When is the trading begins 

Post#6 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:34 am

sonic-ben wrote:Watson and Ridnour

Please take us out of our misery...

play Wild West and Gelabale till next year

I agree one or both need to be traded. We've all been expecting & waiting for it to happen. But a recent line in a Tacoma News Tribune article has me thinking a trade might not happen...

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... _and_west/

"Luke Ridnour, Earl Watson and West all are auditioning for the starting point guard position in an ongoing evaluation period that will last until the end of the season."

Or else Presti is negotiating via the newpaper. Which is possible.

But on a more likely note I think K Thomas is the Sonic that will be traded by the deadline.
Yoshi2kx
Senior
And1: 5

Post#7 » by Yoshi2kx » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:28 am

Yup, I think KT gets traded as well, and we start auditioning the Center position more hopefully, get some losses in there and set us up a good lottery position
OzThunder
Rookie
And1: 393

Post#8 » by OzThunder » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:57 am

do you reckon we could trade KT for a young piece or just go for expirings?
FARMERMAN10
Veteran

Post#9 » by FARMERMAN10 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:53 am

well since he is expiring, it would only make sense to get a young piece
sonic-ben
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by sonic-ben » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:13 pm

or another #1
Go cougs
OzThunder
Rookie
And1: 393

Post#11 » by OzThunder » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:39 pm

FARMERMAN10 wrote:well since he is expiring, it would only make sense to get a young piece

good point, but apart from picks i don't see anyone giving us a decent young player for Kurt Thomas.
I suppose a contender would let go of a pick for some good veteran defense.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Post#12 » by Det the Threat » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:39 pm

seattlefan35 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

good point, but apart from picks i don't see anyone giving us a decent young player for Kurt Thomas.
I suppose a contender would let go of a pick for some good veteran defense.

Yes, but picks is what we should look for in a Thomas trade and i would do something that brings us back another first at the deadline.

Sure Thomas is great and provides us with veteran leadership(i love what he brings to the team), but make no mistake, he's not going to be coming back(no matter how nice he'll put things in interviews), because he's at a stage in his career when it's time for him to go ring hunting and hop on to a good team that might need him to get over the hump.

So even if we'd take a hit(winning wise), we'd still be better off in the long run, if we can get something like a 1st round pick for him.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:37 pm

seattlefan35 wrote:do you reckon we could trade KT for a young piece or just go for expirings?

I posted my thoughts (below) on that topic in the Trade Thread the other day:

I think the Sonics sending K Thomas to a contending team at the deadline is one of the safer trade bets in the NBA right now. The real questions are which team & for what. I think the four leading teams are probably the Lakers, Nets, Magic & Warriors. All contending teams who could use a talented veteran big to help make a push in the playoffs. I would've also include the Jazz but they don't have the expiring contracts the Sonics will require. These are the potential K Thomas deals as I see it...

Lakers
Expiring (K Brown) and a pick (swap their 2008 1st for our 2nd) or a prospect (we'd prefer J Crittenton & they'd prefer S Vujacic). Significant upgrade at a critical PF position for the win-now Lakers at a relatively low cost.

Nets
Expirings (J Magloire & B Nachbar) and a pick (swap their 2008 1st for our 2nd). No Sonics interest for A Wright. IMO Nets would no way be interested in letting go of S Williams. Interestingly, the Nets have a $3.6M TPE exception that could be used to include D Wilkins, J Petro or other role players in the trade and negotiation flexibility. In addition, the Sonics currently own the Nets 2009 2nd round pick. With the number of picks the Sonics already have it wouldn't be too hard to trade that back to the Nets. An issue could be the Nets being pushed into the luxury tax.

Magic
Expirings (P Garrity & K Dooling) and a pick (swap their 2008 1st for our 2nd). Safe to say the Heat won't be swapping 1st picks with the Magic in 2008. No Sonics interest at all for JJ Redick. That K Thomas is expiring is particular valuable for the Magic as they're expecting T Battie back next season.

Warriors
The Warriors have a $10M TPE and perhaps could use K Thomas if they're looking forward to playing the Jazz or the Spurs in the playoffs this season. Don't really see K Thomas running the floor, but he can play interior defense and shoot the 15 footer.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#14 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:01 pm

I think it sucks we're looking to get rid of KT...he totally surprised me with how well he's played for us. I was expecting him to come in disgruntled and work his way out of town even before the season started. He's obviously the best center we've got, and at times, he's the 2-3rd best player on the floor IMO (depending who's playing with him).

But it does make sense to exploit his value now in order to gain value for the future. What that may be, I'm not completely sure. I would definately be interested in packaging him with someone else if it meant it could get us a mid-high 1st rounder in the draft.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:32 pm

jenn_gp wrote:I think it sucks we're looking to get rid of KT...he totally surprised me with how well he's played for us. I was expecting him to come in disgruntled and work his way out of town even before the season started. He's obviously the best center we've got, and at times, he's the 2-3rd best player on the floor IMO (depending who's playing with him).

But it does make sense to exploit his value now in order to gain value for the future. What that may be, I'm not completely sure. I would definately be interested in packaging him with someone else if it meant it could get us a mid-high 1st rounder in the draft.

I agree completely. K Thomas is a class act through and through. The kind of guy I'd like to see transition to an assistant coach position with the Sonics after he hangs up the sneakers.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball