Westbrook Tearing up Summerleague

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Kane2111
Banned User
And1: 0

Westbrook Tearing up Summerleague 

Post#1 » by Kane2111 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:11 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... ay4-080710

ORLANDO -- For all those raised eyebrows and puzzled experts who questioned Russell Westbrook's being chosen fourth overall in last month's NBA draft, a scout monitoring the Orlando Pro Summer League had this to offer Thursday: "He's flat-out the best player here not named Kevin Durant."

Well how bout that. I guess I was wrong about Westbrook. Damn. Good pick afterall. Go figure.
AZZ
Ballboy

Re: Westbrook Tearing up Summerleague 

Post#2 » by AZZ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Kane2111 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Orlando-Day4-080710

ORLANDO -- For all those raised eyebrows and puzzled experts who questioned Russell Westbrook's being chosen fourth overall in last month's NBA draft, a scout monitoring the Orlando Pro Summer League had this to offer Thursday: "He's flat-out the best player here not named Kevin Durant."

Well how bout that. I guess I was wrong about Westbrook. Damn. Good pick afterall. Go figure.

warriors fan here, just to chim in on your subject. i have thought all along that westbrook was the best point guard in this draft!! i love that the fact you guys got him and sorry about the move to OKC! long live seattle ball!
McG
Sophomore

Post#3 » by McG » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 pm

Come on guys, summer league means absolutely nothing. Less than 10% of the guys out there will even sniff an NBA roster next year. Even against less-than-average competition Westbrook has basically proven what everybody thought all along: he is a good defender, efficient in the transition offense, but he has very limited PG skills. We will see how he handles NBA competition.
* Educating the underprivileged. *
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:50 pm

Yeah, gotta agree with McG...summer league is completely worthless.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#5 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Come on guys, summer league means absolutely nothing. Less than 10% of the guys out there will even sniff an NBA roster next year.

Agree. The only way SL means absolutely anything to you is if you are totally desperate for basketball or an OKC fan...
big L
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by big L » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:08 pm

Of course, of course, but it's a good sign to see him playing smart, aggressive ball.
from ny, never been a fan of the knicks...
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#7 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:17 pm

^Good sign for who? Not us! :x
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#8 » by elbowthrower » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Tskitishvili was a beast his first two summer leagues.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#9 » by wiff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:02 am

Kane2111 wrote:Well how bout that. I guess I was wrong about Westbrook. Damn. Good pick afterall. Go figure.

Hey Kane your little passive agressive routine has grown stale.

We all know you live in OKC. I'm sure it isn't simply a coincidence that you happened to join RealGM the same day the Sonics were officialy hi-jacked.

So go tell all your little toothless buddies about how you were wrong about Westbrook because you weren't in here debating it before, jack-ass.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#10 » by OzSonic » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:16 am

wiff wrote:
Kane2111 wrote:Well how bout that. I guess I was wrong about Westbrook. Damn. Good pick afterall. Go figure.

We all know you live in OKC. I'm sure it isn't simply a coincidence that you happened to join RealGM the same day the Sonics were officialy hi-jacked.

So go tell all your little toothless buddies about how you were wrong about Westbrook because you weren't in here debating it before, jack-ass.

Right on Wiffler! Couldn't have said it better myself!
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#11 » by jenn_gp » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:46 am

wiff wrote:

LOL

High five for Wiff! That brought a smile to my face.
TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

Post#12 » by TheUrbanZealot » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:56 am

wiff wrote:

Let me get this straight. Some poster says he was wrong about a pick, and all of a sudden he (or she) has toothless buddies and is a jack ass? Am I missing something?

This is what I mean when I say I am a little concerned about the emotional stability on here.

If I had made the same response as Wiff just did, I am sure I would have been suspended. There is no reason, fellow Seattle fans, to get charged up over someone that isn't even saying anything malicious. I don't care if the person has posted negative stuff before- all the guy did was say he was wrong about a pick, sheesh.

What has happened to everyone? I mean damn, can any of you guys be civil? It's like the team leaving has actually caused people to be completely hypocritical...
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#13 » by wiff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:04 am

TheUrbanZealot wrote:
wiff wrote:

Let me get this straight. Some poster says he was wrong about a pick, and all of a sudden he (or she) has toothless buddies and is a jack ass? Am I missing something?

This is what I mean when I say I am a little concerned about the emotional stability on here.

If I had made the same response as Wiff just did, I am sure I would have been suspended. There is no reason, fellow Seattle fans, to get charged up over someone that isn't even saying anything malicious. I don't care if the person has posted negative stuff before- all the guy did was say he was wrong about a pick, sheesh.

What has happened to everyone? I mean damn, can any of you guys be civil? It's like the team leaving has actually caused people to be completely hypocritical...

Yes Zealot you are missing something about 8 previous posts that have all been borderline smug and gloating. They have all been something along the lines about how the Sonics moved to OKC and oh that's too bad I feel for you guys because Kevin Durant is going to dominate the league in OKC for the next 20 years. It really is a shame they left. Oh well I guess since you didn't pay for an arena you must not have really wanted them.

It's not so much as this one post but it’s the culmination of "all" of his posts that irk me, and others I might add.

His posts have all been passive aggressive. No he isn’t laughing directly in our face but he is laughing behind our backs.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#14 » by Joel Embust » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:07 am

elbowthrower wrote:Tskitishvili was a beast his first two summer leagues.

Who? :clown:
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by BenjaminH » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:46 am

In addition to Westbrook, I've read that Green is also doing very well in summer league.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#16 » by jenn_gp » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:36 pm

^I'm not surprised by that.

Ugh..the pain is totally kicking back into gear for me hearing these things. I thought I was doing okay for a couple of days there.
big L
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by big L » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:50 pm

It's hard for me not to follow those guys...
from ny, never been a fan of the knicks...
Kane2111
Banned User

Post#18 » by Kane2111 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:36 pm

wiff wrote:

wiff wrote:Yes Zealot you are missing something about 8 previous posts that have all been borderline smug and gloating. They have all been something along the lines about how the Sonics moved to OKC and oh that's too bad I feel for you guys because Kevin Durant is going to dominate the league in OKC for the next 20 years. It really is a shame they left. Oh well I guess since you didn't pay for an arena you must not have really wanted them.

It's not so much as this one post but it’s the culmination of "all" of his posts that irk me, and others I might add.

His posts have all been passive aggressive. No he isn’t laughing directly in our face but he is laughing behind our backs.

Yeah wiff maybe i'm missing something too, because your foolish and offensive crybaby reactionary comments have me scratching my head. I live in Lynnwood and I have been a supporter of the Sonics since the early 90s when I moved here. In 95-96, I use to skip school and stand in line with my father for all day so we could be the first to purchase the "Family fun pack" tickets. For 7 dollars you got a seat at the game, a hot dog and a soft drink. The good ol days when the Sonics actually mattered to this city.

I post about Westbrook tearing up and suddenly I'm from Oklahoma? Wow. Ease off on the paranoia, big guy.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#19 » by Sweezo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:17 am

Sorry, but...what response were you expecting when you trying to make everyone feel jealous about the performance of a player that by all rights should be wearing green and gold and playing in Key Arena this season?

And you make a long post about how Bennett, you know...is just a little misunderstood around these parts.

You posted something[s] bound to irritate a bunch of people, and now you're complaining about the backlash. I don't think anyone cares whether you're from Seattle, OKC, or somewhere in between (although, yeah, I know you're not posting from OKC). God only knows what you're trying to accomplish, but you don't seem to be looking for fellow Sonics fans to grieve with so much as you're trying keep the wounds pried open.

Can the contrived moral outrage, consider it a lesson learned, and move on.
Kane2111
Banned User

Post#20 » by Kane2111 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Sweezo. That's good enough for me, brother. I appreciate the words. They put things into perspective. I got carried away and I apologize for that. I just didn't appreciate having to defend myself. I didn't want to be a casualty of this "zero tolerance" war. I just wanted to share some discussion with fellow Seattle folk about subjects pertaining to the Supersonics... not be part of the OKC Vs Seattle bloodletting. Tired of defending myself. So... so tired. Lets let bygones be gygones and push on with this discussion.

I agree with posters that we should not get too excited about Westbrook's summerleague production. I remember some pretty big performances in summerleague from some pretty bad players. I remember Robert Swift looking pretty darn good. I think Joe Forte once won MVP of the summerleague (guy spent like a minute on the Sonics at one point and I remember reading that hype about him on the Boston boards). You gotta put it into context. I didn't think much of the pick though. I thought Presti should have done what he could to move up and take OJ Mayo. The fact that Memphis was able to land Mayo just further proves that. I thought Westbrook was a REEEAACH, but early signs point to me being wrong. I was checking out ESPN's "rookie rankings" though and it doesn't look like Westbrook has yet to crack the top 10. Although that's just one man's opinion so I'm not sure how much that really matters.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball