What's in a name?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Jon_Bon
Senior
And1: 0

What's in a name? 

Post#1 » by Jon_Bon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:53 am

Just a question.

When the NBA comes back to Seattle (I think it's when rather if) do you guys think they will be Sonics / Supersonics?

I know there is a lot of love for the name at the moment, but after a few years do you think that the will / could change now that Boeing has moved it's HQ? I always thought it was a big gamble to name your team based on a company.

Hope the NBA comes back to you guys real soon. As someone who started watching the NBA just as Kemp and Payton got going all always have a soft spot for you guys.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Re: What's in a name? 

Post#2 » by Ex-hippie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Well, I would agree that it's dicey to give a team a corporate name (unless you're in, say, Orlando where they won't just move the Magic Kingdom), but Boeing still does have an enormous presence in Seattle, notwithstanding the move of the HQ. In any case the name has lived on for over 40 years and transcends the company by now. The name was a big part of the negotiation between the city and the ownership group and I'm sure any new Seattle team will be called the Supersonics if it's legally permissible.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#3 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:19 pm

We definately would keep the name Supersonics I hope. Boeing still produces airplanes in the area. I don't think it should matter at this point if their HQ's have moved..we're talking about an establishment with 41 years of history with the Sonics. The only team to win a professional title in this city...they deserve the right to keep the name even if Boeing's HQ have moved.

Frankly, I wouldn't support a team if they weren't named the Sonics.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by Dick Tate » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Jon_Bon wrote:When the NBA comes back to Seattle (I think it's when rather if) do you guys think they will be Sonics / Supersonics?

If it's the unlikely expansion team within five years, then the answer is yes. Any other circumstances, the answer is no (thanks to the sellouts).
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by BenjaminH » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:49 pm

In the 90s, was the name officially changed from the Supersonics to the Sonics? I'm asking because I don't know.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:07 pm

I think it was when the unis were changed to those horrible space needle centric abortions with the red accents, but when Schultz got the team it went back to being the Supersonics.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#7 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:10 pm

^I actually liked those unis!
Not as much as the old logo with the Seattle skyline though..that one was the best.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by Ex-hippie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:58 pm

BenjaminH wrote:In the 90s, was the name officially changed from the Supersonics to the Sonics? I'm asking because I don't know.

In the 2004 draft, I noticed that David Stern, when announcing the pick, started to refer to the team as "Supersonics," then corrected himself. Something like this... "With the twelfth pick of the 2004 NBA draft, the Seattle Supers... the Seattle Sonics select Robert Swift, from Bakersfield, California." Emphasizing the word "Sonics." I'm not sure what happened there exactly, but I have been paying attention in every draft since then, and he's just been calling the team the Supersonics. (Even in 2008 when I'm sure he'd have liked to call the team something else.) I don't know what to make of it.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#9 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:34 pm

^I remember Stern doing that too. That was weird.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#10 » by djthesonicsfan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:36 pm

Ironically, the supersonic, or SST, was never actually built... our team was named after an aborted project.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball