DMase back on the Sonics

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Saul
Banned User
And1: 0

DMase back on the Sonics 

Post#1 » by Saul » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:40 pm

"As part of the deal, the Bucks will receive Jones and Oklahoma City point guard Luke Ridnour. Oklahoma City acquires Smith and Bucks forward Desmond Mason. Oklahoma City also will send swingman Adrian Griffin to the Bucks."

Hell yeah. I use to love D-Mase when he played for Seattle. Good news. I still think that the court ruling will be reversed. I think it's way too fishy that OKC hasn't been able to announced their new colors/nickname/logo. I also think it's fishy that the OKC team passed on signing Tony Allen (Oklahoma Native)...and think its even MORE fishy that they just acquired a former Seattle Supersonic legend. This all could be leading up to something BIG where it's announced that the team is returning to Seattle this year. I think the league is going to be forced to step in and make things right, because of that trial coming up and everything.
Saul
Banned User

Re: DMase back on the Sonics 

Post#2 » by Saul » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:46 pm

Ok hypothetically speaking. Say I'm right and that OKC is just trying to build this perception that the team is "long gone" even though behind closed doors there is still some fighting happening. If I'm right, the threats David Stern made to Howard, the fact that no team name/colors/logo have been announced, the fact that they passed on signing Tony Allen and the fact that they just traded for Desmond Mason all play into a clear example that this team is going to be returned back home to Seattle where it belongs. So... hypothetically speaking upon their return to Seattle (also note that the lease with Key Arena was cancelled so they can now negotiate a more fair and healthy lease with the city)... if the Sonics go ahead and sign Gary Payton to a one year farewell tour, that basically means that since Gary and Desmond are back on the team... Jeff Green was given to the Sonics for FREE. not bad.

Note: I know some of you might point out that DMase went to Oklahoma State for College and was a popular member of the Hornets when they played in Oklahoma City temporarily, but I sincerely think this is more a sign that the team is preparing to make ammends with Seattle.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#3 » by bennith13 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:10 pm

Desmond Mason going back to OKC is not a sign that the former Sonics are coming home.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#4 » by jenn_gp » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:15 pm

I think you're dellusional if you think the Sonics are coming back for the reasons you've listed, about OKC not announcing their name/logo yet. Especially about trading for Desmond. Howard's case is all that's giving us hope, but I think the only hope we have to cling to is that a win results in an expansion or another city's franchise.

Not trying to burst your bubble or be rude about it Saul, but I just don't think what you're saying makes any sense.

I am however, very happy to see that Luke has been given a fresh start by going to Milwaukee. I wonder if he was one of the players who refused to play in OKC?
Saul
Banned User

Post#5 » by Saul » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:37 pm

jenn_gp wrote:I think you're dellusional if you think the Sonics are coming back for the reasons you've listed, about OKC not announcing their name/logo yet. Especially about trading for Desmond. Howard's case is all that's giving us hope, but I think the only hope we have to cling to is that a win results in an expansion or another city's franchise.

Not trying to burst your bubble or be rude about it Saul, but I just don't think what you're saying makes any sense.

I am however, very happy to see that Luke has been given a fresh start by going to Milwaukee. I wonder if he was one of the players who refused to play in OKC?

Jenn i wouldn't be so pessimistic. The OKC PTB are trying to make it seem like it's a foregone conclusion that this team is gone, but we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. They brought the team to OKC illegally and Howard's case will prove it. The OKC PTB and NBA are aware that they have been backed into a corner and I think they are going to do everything they can to do what is right. I figure David Stern will lose his job over this. But Mason coming back to the Sonics is another (admittedly small) sign that this team is coming back to Seattle. My gut instinct tells me they'll be playing opening night right here where they belong.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,917

Post#6 » by Dick Tate » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:36 pm

The kook resurfaces.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#7 » by jenn_gp » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Saul wrote:My gut instinct tells me they'll be playing opening night right here where they belong.

My gut is telling to something else...
Saul
Banned User

Post#8 » by Saul » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:58 pm

Dick Tate wrote:The kook resurfaces.

Wow... that's a little offensive. First of all, you make it sound like it's a bad thing that I'm here. "resurfaces" is a little like saying I just creeped out of the woodwork. I mean we can all agree that what happened to the Sonics is shady, but this far from being a battle that is over. Starbucks will win this thing hands going down. And I happen to believe it's all just a lot of politics and at the end of the day the Sonics will be playing in Seattle this year with all things settle.d Second of all, I'm proud to be a chinese american and don't appreciate the racial remarks. Very distasteful.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,917

Post#9 » by Dick Tate » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Saul wrote:I'm proud to be a chinese american and don't appreciate the racial remarks. Very distasteful.

Say what?!? Kooky.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by BenjaminH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:09 pm

If think it is a pretty good trade for all parties involved. I know if the team were still in Seattle, I would approve of Presti's move. Not bad for MIL - they got rid of Williams' contract. He is a scoring PG, while Ridnour is a truer PG and not that much of a downgrade. (Yeah, he's a terrible defender. But with Redd and Jefferson on the wings, MIL doesn't need a scoring PG. A facilitating PG is a much better fit. I agree with Jenn and think that Ridnour will fare quite well with this change. Of course, MIL still needs a long term solution at PG ... but Ridnour as the stop-gap isn't that bad.) Also, adding a scoring PG is a smart move for CLE. But personally, I don't see why they don't put more faith in West. I think he clearly deserves more money than Gibson. West is a scoring PG, a pretty good defender, and was obviously the second best player in the playoffs for CLE against BOS. Williams may be a good fit, but I kind of liked West as CLE's starting PG.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by BenjaminH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 pm

A kook is a crazy person. Although he may have offended you, Dick was not making a racial remark.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#12 » by Sweezo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:08 am

Good lord. Really?

Saul wrote:Second of all, I'm proud to be a chinese american and don't appreciate the racial remarks. Very distasteful.

Try using a dictionary...it might help you determine which words are racial insults, and which words, like "kook," are not.

The sloppy referring to the team as the "Sonics," attempting to bait a poster, and claiming to be offended by something ultimately ineffectual seems...oddly familiar. Find a new hobby.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#13 » by wiff » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:39 am

Yet another smart move by Presti. Brings in an Okie college legend/fan favorite with Mason and some veteran presence with Smith.

Mean while clearing up minutes for Westbrook by getting rid of Luke.

Would love to hear Ridnour's comment on the trade and the about the organization who owns the team formerly known as the Seattle Super Sonics.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#14 » by jenn_gp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:02 am

wiff wrote:Would love to hear Ridnour's comment on the trade and the about the organization who owns the team formerly known as the Seattle Super Sonics.

Couldn't agree with you more Wiff. I don't expect Luke to say much of anything though, he seems like a pretty private guy unless he's talking about his religion and faith. That is mostly what I remember him talking about while he was here at least....that and being sick of riding the bench.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#15 » by Joel Embust » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:24 pm

It would've been awesome to have DMase back in green and gold in Seattle.
Saul
Banned User

Post#16 » by Saul » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:24 pm

Sweezo wrote:Good lord. Really?

Saul wrote:Second of all, I'm proud to be a chinese american and don't appreciate the racial remarks. Very distasteful.

Try using a dictionary...it might help you determine which words are racial insults, and which words, like "kook," are not.

The sloppy referring to the team as the "Sonics," attempting to bait a poster, and claiming to be offended by something ultimately ineffectual seems...oddly familiar. Find a new hobby.

Sorry, but I didn't realize derogatory slang was in the dictionary. Even if it's just "crazyperson", I still think it's rather uncalled for. Some people are being very negative about this situation and I see all signs pointing to the Sonics being returned to Seattle before opening night. It's already August and they still haven't announced a new logo, colors or team name. And when I checked the nba.com/sonics page it mentioned something about them playing opening night in Tulsa instead of Oklahoma City which seems to me like they are having trouble locking up a lease with the arena in Oklahoma City... more problems and more unspoken stuff that is getting vacuumed under the rug. Starbucks is a major gazilliondollar corporation and they aren't idiots. If the lawyers are going through all the trouble to continue this trial on grounds that the team was taking under illegal circumstances, they must know they have a winning case. Otherwise, why bother? The fact that the NBA is in panic mode and threatening Starbucks just proves that they see the blood on the mirror and know that this is a losing case for them. THe thing is, the NBA controls a lot of the sports media like ESPN so the only news you are going to see is the pro-NBA side of things. Even local sports publications could lose their press credentials if they go toe-to-toe with the NBA. So all you're seeing is a slanted perspective that this team is "long gone" when in reality they STILL haven't announced a team name they DIDN'T trade for Tony Allen, and they just were forced into a deal where they re-acquired a legendary former Seattle player... D-Mase.

I mean I might be stretching on some things, but keep the faith guys. My gut instinct tells me the Sonics will be playing opening night in Seattle. I'm about 95% sure. This city has a habit of waiting until the very last hour to make their move. Until I see the Sonics playing in Oklahoma City with jerseys that say "Oklahoma City" on the front, I'll just assume this whole thing is a lot of silly politics and much adoo about nothing. Just an attempt to get us to buy and arena, but we're calling their bluff and these things have a way of working themselves out.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#17 » by jenn_gp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Saul wrote: And when I checked the nba.com/sonics page it mentioned something about them playing opening night in Tulsa instead of Oklahoma City which seems to me like they are having trouble locking up a lease with the arena in Oklahoma City...

I haven't heard that, but OKC taxpayers did approve the renovation of the Ford Center I believe back in March. I would think it is under construction now so they can start the season in OKC.

Starbucks is a major gazilliondollar corporation and they aren't idiots.

Could have fooled me...

If the lawyers are going through all the trouble to continue this trial on grounds that the team was taking under illegal circumstances, they must know they have a winning case. Otherwise, why bother? The fact that the NBA is in panic mode and threatening Starbucks just proves that they see the blood on the mirror and know that this is a losing case for them.

I'm going to agree with you on this Saul, but I don't think Schultz is going through with the case to get this team back in the bigger scheme of things.

Back in July when the city settled their case againse Clay Bennett, the Commissioner basically gave no promise for a replacement team or possible expansion franchise. Schultz said himself, that is not enough of a guarantee for him to drop his case against the Oklahoma ownership group. I think he is going on with this case because he is looking for a promise of some sort that Seattle will get professional basketball back within the next few years.

So all you're seeing is a slanted perspective that this team is "long gone" when in reality they STILL haven't announced a team name they DIDN'T trade for Tony Allen, and they just were forced into a deal where they re-acquired a legendary former Seattle player... D-Mase.

How was this trade forced? The way I see it, Presti pulled off a good trade. I would have loved to see it go down while the team was still in Seattle. Luke has done nothing to better the team for almost two years. He needed a fresh start. Do you actually think that Luke is some important peice of the puzzle for OKC, and that they were "threatened/forced" into trading with Milwaukee? Come on Saul....you know better than that. Oh and I don't know if I would call Desmond a "Sonic Legend." Was he well liked by the fans? Absolutely. Does that make him a legend in that regard? I don't think so.

I mean I might be stretching on some things, but keep the faith guys. My gut instinct tells me the Sonics will be playing opening night in Seattle. I'm about 95% sure. This city has a habit of waiting until the very last hour to make their move.

Honestly, I wish I was as oblivious as you. That way I don't feel spiteful or venegful anymore. The fact of the matter is Saul, the city signed an agreement with Clay Bennett to cease all operations of the Sonics in Key Arena and the city of Seattle. They do not have a part in this whole debacle anymore. The only people involved now is Schultz and his lawyers.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#18 » by bennith13 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:53 pm

Desmond Mason is not legendary former Sonics player, he is just a former player.

I will give you this Saul, I do think it is interesting that the OKC team does not have a name or logo yet.
Saul
Banned User

Post#19 » by Saul » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:56 pm

jenn you bring up some interesting points, but it's all based on the media perception that the NBA is cultivating. The reality is that things aren't so Rosey for the OKC PTB and the NBA and Starbucks is well aware of this. Things will work out. I'm pretty sure of it.

And as for Desmond Mason. One of my best friends who is a huge Sonic fan told me a while ago when D-Mase was playing for the Sonics that he believed D-Mase was the next Jordan. The guy was wickedly popular and an NBA Dunk Champion multiple times. So to infuse that young core with a Seattle legend like t hat seems like a sure sign of something happening under the scenes.

I think more people were distraught in Seattle about losing D-Mase than they were about losing GP. This is the first step in ownership making ammends I think.

The way I'm looking at it is this. These guys are business men. They know that either way, they have to make money. I think they see the blood on the mirror and are starting to see the very real possibility that they will be forced back to Seattle. So... like smart businessmen, they are preparing for damage control. Enter Desmond Mason. He was a hero in Seattle and one of the most popular Sonics ever. When they come back to Seattle with a big fat apology they will need to win back the fans and D-Mase perfectly bridges the gap between the old Sonics and the new Sonics. It's a smart move and I think it's a sign of something.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#20 » by jenn_gp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:14 pm

Saul wrote:jenn you bring up some interesting points, but it's all based on the media perception that the NBA is cultivating. The reality is that things aren't so Rosey for the OKC PTB and the NBA and Starbucks is well aware of this. Things will work out. I'm pretty sure of it.

Again, I wish I could be as oblivious as you...

And as for Desmond Mason. One of my best friends who is a huge Sonic fan told me a while ago when D-Mase was playing for the Sonics that he believed D-Mase was the next Jordan. The guy was wickedly popular and an NBA Dunk Champion multiple times. So to infuse that young core with a Seattle legend like t hat seems like a sure sign of something happening under the scenes.

I think more people were distraught in Seattle about losing D-Mase than they were about losing GP. This is the first step in ownership making ammends I think.

Let me just say that as a huge Gary Payton fan, you're wrong. I didn't see Key Arena fill up for D-Mase's return over the past couple of years. I was at the sold out game vs. the Lakers a year after Gary was traded..people came to watch him, and watch him play against Ray. Gary received a very long standing ovation. I was also at the last Sonics game ever this year against the Mavs. Gary was there spectating the game...we gave him a standing ovation that was over two minutes at least. If you think Gary was just an afterthought in that trade, you are wrong.

What has Desmond done over the past few years anyways? He's pretty much fallen off the map. His game hasn't really improved from when he was a Sonic. Again, Desmond was well liked, but that does not make him a legend. During his time on the team, he played with Rashard and I don't even think Rashard should be given the name "Sonic Legend."

The way I'm looking at it is this. These guys are business men. They know that either way, they have to make money. I think they see the blood on the mirror and are starting to see the very real possibility that they will be forced back to Seattle. So... like smart businessmen, they are preparing for damage control. Enter Desmond Mason.

LOL are you joking? Cause seriously, that one made me laugh out loud.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball