ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,730

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1401 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg

He gets to the line more than Shaq, and shoots 71%.

But in this timeline he's supposedly a second rounder. :lol:
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#1402 » by hype_2004 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

This guy is essentially Yao Ming, in this era no one values size and skill in the post, Raptors should grab him with the mid pick if he's available but all sources point to him rising in the draft and will be gone before the 10th pick.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,060

Post#1403 » by ItsDanger » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

Psubs wrote:Is Dalton Knect a more athletic Austin Reaves?

I recall the head to head battle of Reaves vs Cade and Brandon Miller vs GG Jackson; Reaves and Jackson held their own.

Has Knect faced UConn this season vs Castle? Edit: No they haven't met.... yet.

I can see Knect drop to #16 Philadelphia, who would be good with a plug n play wing for a team that would be back in the top 5 in the east next season.

PG Maxey
SG Knect
SF Paul George
PF Reed
C Embiid

Knecht and Reaves have completely different games.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#1404 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Since you’re comparing him to Shaq lol who played in a different era and was easily more athletic…does that mean you think Edey will be an all time great, top 5 C in the league or what level are you expecting him to be at?
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#1405 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Since you’re comparing him to Shaq lol who played in a different era and was easily more athletic…does that mean you think Edey will be an all time great, top 5 C in the league or what level are you expecting him to be at?

I think the scouts who are evaluating him, have never seen a player like him with their own eyes.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#1406 » by Dalek » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

My summary of the article and with Edey in general is that he is a great but deeply flawed player. He cannot come out of the paint and is susceptible to floaters and will have issues with pick and roll. He is a non-jumpshooter who is around 70% from the freethrow line which doesn't exactly make you think he has another leap in him as a shooter.

The most damning thing is that over his entire career he has a negative assist-to-turnover ratio. When you watch him pass they are usually quick, short-range hits to cutters, no kick outs to corners, no probing options.

He does come in with elite size and strength and a simple but effective post game. I was surprised to find out he is only 21 - so he has a lot of time to further develop. I am very curious about how good it will be for him in the NBA with spacing - maybe too unstoppable even for Wemby.

I think if we end up with three picks there is zero chance Toronto will pass on him with that Indy pick.

What I think is ultimately it is a benefit to have an Edey because it is an arms race in the NBA. Joel Embiid, Jokic are the past two MVPs, and now we have Wemby. You need size to compete for a title, so Edey as a dominant big will help change the dynamic for Toronto. At worst I think he is going to be Jonas Valancuinas level of impact, which is going to at least create a credible bench threat.

The problem is our style of play currently, just doesn't fit him. If we dumped Darko ball for more of grinding Thibs ball, we would have something.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#1407 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

Dalek wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

My summary of the article and with Edey in general is that he is a great but deeply flawed player. He cannot come out of the paint and is susceptible to floaters and will have issues with pick and roll. He is a non-jumpshooter who is around 70% from the freethrow line which doesn't exactly make you think he has another leap in him as a shooter.

The most damning thing is that over his entire career he has a negative assist-to-turnover ratio. When you watch him pass they are usually quick, short-range hits to cutters, no kick outs to corners, no probing options.

He does come in with elite size and strength and a simple but effective post game. I was surprised to find out he is only 21 - so he has a lot of time to further develop. I am very curious about how good it will be for him in the NBA with spacing - maybe too unstoppable even for Wemby.

I think if we end up with three picks there is zero chance Toronto will pass on him with that Indy pick.

What I think is ultimately it is a benefit to have an Edey because it is an arms race in the NBA. Joel Embiid, Jokic are the past two MVPs, and now we have Wemby. You need size to compete for a title, so Edey as a dominant big will help change the dynamic for Toronto. At worst I think he is going to be Jonas Valancuinas level of impact, which is going to at least create a credible bench threat.

The problem is our style of play currently, just doesn't fit him. If we dumped Darko ball for more of grinding Thibs ball, we would have something.

I think if he gets to the line 10-12 times a game, that's a "you" problem, not a "me" problem.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#1408 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

non zero chance Raps take him with 2nd round pick if he's there.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#1409 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:non zero chance Raps take him with 2nd round pick if he's there.

You''ll have a hard time finding five players better.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,635

Post#1410 » by Psubs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

Dalek wrote:My summary of the article and with Edey in general is that he is a great but deeply flawed player. He cannot come out of the paint and is susceptible to floaters and will have issues with pick and roll. He is a non-jumpshooter who is around 70% from the freethrow line which doesn't exactly make you think he has another leap in him as a shooter.

The Knicks should take him with #21 or 22. Sarr, Clingan, Filipowski, then Ware and Edey. Edey needs a right situation to be a starter.

Damn, this got me thinking of Hasheem Thabeet going #2 overall. Sheesh, so many miscalculations in Vancouver and Memphis. Should've drafted Odom instead of Francis and Harden instead of Thabeet. They already hit magic with Marc Gasol the year before.

PG Conley - Mayo - Iverson
SG Mayo - Harden - Brewer
SF Harden - Gay - Carroll
PF ZBo - Arthur - Gay
C Gasol - Haddadi/Hunter

This team should've won a championship and the Curry might have zero recent championships. They don't win the lucky one where every opposing PG was out or playing hurt and then the choke job of 73-9. Then maybe since Durant sees that they are just pretenders that he doesn't join the Warriors. :D
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#1411 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:non zero chance Raps take him with 2nd round pick if he's there.

determines if his game translates to the NBA as a starter, really. if teams just PnR him to death and the team doesn't have enough defenders (with offensive capabilities) to cover his weaknesses - he ain't going to flourish.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#1412 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

determines if his game translates to the NBA as a starter, really. if teams just PnR him to death and the team doesn't have enough defenders (with offensive capabilities) to cover his weaknesses - he ain't going to flourish.

It's the non-French name holding him back.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#1413 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:You''ll have a hard time finding five players better.

It's the non-French name holding him back.

lol eh, i have my doubts but i can also see him succeed, in very specific situations. don't think the Raptors, by way of current team build can let him be a good player overall.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,635

Post#1414 » by Psubs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

Tristan DaSilva
Hunter Sallis
Dillon Jones
KJ Simpson
Bub Carrington
Jaylon Tyson
Kyshawn George
Tyler Kolek
DaRon Holmes
Ulrich Chomche

All may have better pro careers than Edey but Edey has the highest floor of this list.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#1415 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

Psubs wrote:

Tristan DaSilva
Hunter Sallis
Dillon Jones
KJ Simpson
Bub Carrington
Jaylon Tyson
Kyshawn George
Tyler Kolek
DaRon Holmes
Ulrich Chomche

All may have better pro careers than Edey but Edey has the highest floor of this list.

Edey/Barnes PnR. Who's got the answer?
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#1416 » by Thaddy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

I'd want Edey to rise because it'll mean a better player like Dillingham would drop. I'm not a fan of either since they both have issues related to size.

If we are dead set on a center with the lottery pick I would go with Sarr or develop Salaun into a big. The draft looks bad and picking based on position will just land up a scrub.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#1417 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

Thaddy wrote:I'd want Edey to rise because it'll mean a better player like Dillingham would drop. I'm not a fan of either since they both have issues related to size.

If we are dead set on a center with the lottery pick I would go with Sarr or develop Salaun into a big. The draft looks bad and picking based on position will just land up a scrub.

The Raptors have a shortfall on overall talent everywhere really. just take best talent, regardless of position, for sure.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#1418 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:He gets to the line more than Shaq, and shoots 71%.

I think the scouts who are evaluating him, have never seen a player like him with their own eyes.

Maybe so but now if you don’t mind answering the question of how good you would estimate he might be??
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#1419 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:

Maybe so but now if you don’t mind answering the question of how good you would estimate he might be??

If he's healthy, he'll be dominant. If you see him getting to the line and playing 30 minutes, that's an all star or better.

He's legit got four inches on Embiid.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#1420 » by Dalek » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

Psubs wrote:
Dalek wrote:My summary of the article and with Edey in general is that he is a great but deeply flawed player. He cannot come out of the paint and is susceptible to floaters and will have issues with pick and roll. He is a non-jumpshooter who is around 70% from the freethrow line which doesn't exactly make you think he has another leap in him as a shooter.

The Knicks should take him with #21 or 22. Sarr, Clingan, Filipowski, then Ware and Edey. Edey needs a right situation to be a starter.

I do rate the C prospects similarly to you. For Toronto I really like Sarr, Clingan (better defender and passer than Edey), and I am on the fence with Flip and Ware. Flip I think is a PF and not a full time C, but maybe in a high pace offense like Toronto it could work. Ware I put below Edey. I think Zach will have a more successful career.

Honestly, with better training Edey can be a starter - he just needs to work on becoming a hub on offense to unlock more to his game. I keep thinking about how much I liked Sengun back in 2021 but everyone was thinking his slowish feet and small wingspan and lack of jumper would limit him in the NBA, and now he well-outplayed his draft slot 16 (similar to where Toronto would draft Edey). Edey is just as dominant - if not more than Sengun - going into the draft. Is it overthinking about whether Edey can be a success?

Return to Toronto Raptors