ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors record prediction for 23-24

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,910

Re: Raptors record prediction for 23-24 

Post#281 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:53 am

Hopefully, this is the last we will see of Trent or Brown in a Raps jersey...
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,670

Post#282 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:41 pm

Los_29 wrote:Losing Fred was a much bigger loss than most people anticipated. It’s funny now seeing all the posts that claimed we could win 40-45 games this year because losing Fred was an “addition by subtraction.”

We weren’t going to be a good team this year replacing Fred with Schroeder. Plain and simple. We even had Scottie breakout and we still stunk.

We weren’t going to be a good team with Fred and a full season of Poeltl.

We also won’t be a good team next season. Management set us back with their dithering and now we need to restock the cupboard.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,974

Post#283 » by TheGeneral99 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:44 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Los_29 wrote:Losing Fred was a much bigger loss than most people anticipated. It’s funny now seeing all the posts that claimed we could win 40-45 games this year because losing Fred was an “addition by subtraction.”

We weren’t going to be a good team this year replacing Fred with Schroeder. Plain and simple. We even had Scottie breakout and we still stunk.

We also won’t be a good team next season. Management set us back with their dithering and now we need to restock the cupboard.

Given the bounce back season Fred had in Houston this year there is no reason that why we wouldn't have been a 45-50 win team this year with him on the roster, especially with Scottie's improvement.

However, letting him go was the right move given that crazy salary he got.

I don't think Fred is the optimal point guard that you want on a contending playoff team due to his physical limitations, but he's a really good PG who will make your team better on both ends.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,604

Post#284 » by Scase » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:22 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:Dude, chill.

Johnny conveniently ignoring that even before the OG trade we were on a 32 win pace. Those 28 win predictions were closer than most, even before the entire roster flipped over.

We've been the 7th worst team consistently all year and that was with a healthy roster. All tanking did was move us down 1 spot in the standings. I understand we've been moving down that 1 spot in an embarrassing fashion but this has always been a bad team lol.

Yeah, but then they'd have to admit that the Masai fanboying conflicts with reality, and we know that ain't happening.
Props TZ!
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,987

Post#285 » by Los_29 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:46 am

2019nbachamps wrote:

With Fred we would’ve at least been a play-in team. With the jump Scottie made, maybe even a tad better than that.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach

Post#286 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 am

Los_29 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:

With Fred we would’ve at least been a play-in team. With the jump Scottie made, maybe even a tad better than that.

I’m not sure FVV gets us 11 more wins. Keep in mind we’ve taken a huge step back on the coaching side. Also the whole idea behind the Poeltl trade was to get us out of mediocrity. Masai said he felt we were a true C away from making a jump. I think at the end of the day he finally reached the conclusion the previous core was incapable of being competitive, which I agree with. As such, I have serious doubts FVV would’ve made us materially better this year. Yes, he was a loss for us but we were going to remain a treadmill team if he stayed on.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,007

Post#287 » by NinjaBro » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:55 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
For the FVV haters that was just propaganda to rally support to run him out of town.

Yeah because your posts on RGM have a real impact on what happens with players. :crazy:

It's a joke come on
I fully blame DelAbbot and his cronies for the disaster of a season we had this year.

"If you want to lose brain cells go read Realgm" - Pensare Basketball
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,203

Post#288 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:37 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:

I’m not sure FVV gets us 11 more wins. Keep in mind we’ve taken a huge step back on the coaching side. Also the whole idea behind the Poeltl trade was to get us out of mediocrity. Masai said he felt we were a true C away from making a jump. I think at the end of the day he finally reached the conclusion the previous core was incapable of being competitive, which I agree with. As such, I have serious doubts FVV would’ve made us materially better this year. Yes, he was a loss for us but we were going to remain a treadmill team if he stayed on.

Maybe if we look at what would have likely happened if FVV stayed. They still have to trade OG because he's leaving. They probably don't have to trade Siakam who wanted to stay and instead extend him.

Because you then end up with Poeltl, Barnes, Siakam, Barrett, FVV with Quickly/GTJ first two off the bench. Yeah I think you're not right about 11 wins if that played out that way and there was no tanking.

But, things don't always go smooth and FVV got offered a huge bag of money. They know/suspect OG is gone to NY, and its a MUCH bigger risk than trying to keep FVV. Making keeping Siakam just not viable after watching for a month and knowing, forcing Ujiri's hand. Here we are. I don't think they reached any conclusion as much as the way it played out forced them to be flexible and off their previous path. There's something to be said for having flexibility, and once FVV was gone, this was always the way it was going to end up. The only difference in what they did and planned I beleive is they couldn't find young players back for Siakam.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach

Post#289 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:41 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Maybe if we look at what would have likely happened if FVV stayed. They still have to trade OG because he's leaving. They probably don't have to trade Siakam who wanted to stay and instead extend him.

Because you then end up with Poeltl, Barnes, Siakam, Barrett, FVV with Quickly/GTJ first two off the bench. Yeah I think you're not right about 11 wins if that played out that way and there was no tanking.

But, things don't always go smooth and FVV got offered a huge bag of money. They know/suspect OG is gone to NY, and its a MUCH bigger risk than trying to keep FVV. Making keeping Siakam just not viable after watching for a month and knowing, forcing Ujiri's hand. Here we are. I don't think they reached any conclusion as much as the way it played out forced them to be flexible and off their previous path. There's something to be said for having flexibility, and once FVV was gone, this was always the way it was going to end up. The only difference in what they did and planned I beleive is they couldn't find young players back for Siakam.

I'm not sure we'd do the OG for IQ/RJ trade if we still had FVV. But let's assume we did:

C: Poeltl
PF: Siakam
SF: Barnes
SG: RJ
PG: FVV

IQ, GTJ, Dick + other bench pieces.

This isn't a bad team and much better than what we currently have. However it would never happen since we'd be in cap hell (already in the luxury tax) with Siakam and IQ up for extensions. Wouldn't make sense to go deep into the tax with a squad trying to move up the standings (I'm a proponent of paying the tax only if you're close to contending).
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,987

Post#290 » by Los_29 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:50 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:

It’s not really 11 more wins though. We won 25 games because of injuries and blatantly tanking. We are a 35 win team if we kept OG and Pascal. Fred would’ve pushed us into the play-in for sure.

Now don’t me wrong, it’s still not a great team and it would have been expensive to keep. But I think Masai thought they could somehow add to it and rely on Scottie taking a massive jump in his development. I think we now know that it ultimately needed to get broken apart. IQ and RJ are infinitely better for this team than OG. And I think it didn’t make sense to pay Pascal after losing Fred. You can’t give Pascal the max to play on a 35 win team.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,464

Post#291 » by TimeForChange » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:52 pm

so many bad predictions but the icing on the cake is that mod who stalks people on this site just to start arguments and then send warnings predicting 44-46 wins :lol:

dude should spend more time watching ball and less time on here :lol: :lol: :lol:
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,152

Post#292 » by DelAbbot » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:38 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Yeah because your posts on RGM have a real impact on what happens with players. :crazy:

It's a joke come on
I fully blame DelAbbot and his cronies for the disaster of a season we had this year.

"If you want to lose brain cells go read Realgm" - Pensare Basketball

Blame me and
Don't blame Masai!!!!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,203

Post#293 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:11 pm

TimeForChange wrote:so many bad predictions but the icing on the cake is that mod who stalks people on this site just to start arguments and then send warnings predicting 44-46 wins :lol:

dude should spend more time watching ball and less time on here :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just so bitter, has talk about stalking, this guy has been bitter for years of this^. So weird I wonder when Will he figure it out.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,224

Post#294 » by Zeno » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:24 pm

I predicted 37 wins which i think is not way off for where the team started but in hindsight, I should have foreseen that it was never going to end up in that range. It was either win 45-50 or they were selling off. Given the developmental coaching hires, the front office signaled that they themselves thought the selling off route was most likely so should have gone sub 30s in my prediction.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Return to Toronto Raptors