ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets are hiring Jordi

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,649

Re: Nets are hiring Jordi 

Post#21 » by sbsat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:09 pm

going to be intently watching the nets next year, I really was hoping the raptors went with Jordi last year.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,010

Post#22 » by kalel123 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Nets are where coaches go to die right now until they get their draft pick situation in order. Would've wished for a better situation for him or at least one with some control of their own draft picks.

I know Hornets are also a **** show but that would've probably been better situation for him.

Hope he stays with Team Canada at least for the Olympics this summer but it's entirely possible he bolts to focus on his new position with Nets.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,531

Post#23 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:58 pm

The Nets still owe the Rockets:

2024 1st
2025 Swap
2026 1st
2027 Swap

They don't control their own pick until 2028.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,942

Post#24 » by Anticon » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 pm

Jordi seems great, might have been a solid coach for us.

I can see Marks and co being flexible about the Olympics. But would not shock me if he drops out.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,022

Post#25 » by DelAbbot » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 pm

PhilBlackson on suicide watch
tms
Veteran
And1: 2,110

Post#26 » by tms » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 pm

Massive respect if he stays w the NT through the Olympics. But I can't see it happening what with summer league, free agency and all the new jobs on his plate now
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#27 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:21 pm

tms wrote:Massive respect if he stays w the NT through the Olympics. But I can't see it happening what with summer league, free agency and all the new jobs on his plate now

I doubt he stays as well, but it is is the Olympics so it would be a huge loss. Nick wanted to stay as the NT coach but he got a new job with Philly and quickly decided to move on probably because of the time commitment. Jordi is in his first head coaching role and with a young roster he probably has a whole summer to figure out.

To me, this opens up the conversation to have Darko as Team Canada coach. He already coaches a few players, and he knows international ball well. I would be extremely curious to see how he does with high quality players again.
tms
Veteran
And1: 2,110

Post#28 » by tms » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:23 pm

Dalek wrote:
I doubt he stays as well, but it is is the Olympics so it would be a huge loss. Nick wanted to stay as the NT coach but he got a new job with Philly and quickly decided to move on probably because of the time commitment. Jordi is in his first head coaching role and with a young roster he probably has a whole summer to figure out.

To me, this opens up the conversation to have Darko as Team Canada coach. He already coaches a few players, and he knows international ball well. I would be extremely curious to see how he does with high quality players again.

There's an idea. Either way, it's an amazing opportunity for someone.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,089

Post#29 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:28 pm

There's a chance he stays at least for these Olympics as the event is in early summer leaving lots of time before NBA training camp. Unlike World Cup.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,698

Post#30 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:29 pm

tms wrote:
Dalek wrote:

There's an idea. Either way, it's an amazing opportunity for someone.

Yeah Darko seems to be respected by NBA players, judging by the warm greetings he got before and after games . Maybe he'd be a good one to attract the guys like Murray and Wiggins to make sure they play.

More so than Nate. What is Nate even doing this year, I don't think he got an NBA assistant job.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#31 » by ontnut » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:The Nets still owe the Rockets:

2024 1st
2025 Swap
2026 1st
2027 Swap

Damn, is it groundhog half-decade or something? I feel like this has happened before.

Rockets stock must be...rocketing...up.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,606

Post#32 » by dTox » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:36 pm

He was my pick for our HC position last year, unfortunately for us, the Nets got the guy.
TBZ for the win
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#33 » by positivetension » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:46 pm

2024 1st
2025 Swap
2026 1st
2027 Swap

Brutal outlook, especially since their core is mediocre.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#34 » by Ackshun » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 pm

Dalek wrote:
tms wrote:Massive respect if he stays w the NT through the Olympics. But I can't see it happening what with summer league, free agency and all the new jobs on his plate now

That’s a pretty good call. Does he have more than the one year as an assistant in international competition?

I think they let him finish out this run with Canada. It’s over three months away, but unsure when the team has to get together to start prepping. But it does seem like enough time to get his team in place in Brooklyn. But coaching on the world stage against the worlds greatest basketball players, I think that’s invaluable experience for the Nets.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,429

Post#35 » by Tha Cynic » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 pm

Is there a team in a worse position than the Nets in the NBA? They're basically praying they can sign someone to make this team better because they really have no assets outside of Bridges, and could lose Claxton. They should have traded Bridges who they have internally overrated imo. He's not what they think he is.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,298

Post#36 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 pm

DelAbbot wrote:PhilBlackson on suicide watch

Bruh lol stop

I never flipped out or anything of the sort. I've just stated that I would've preferred Jordie. I just like what I seen of his coaching style more particularly for a young group because he seems very relatable to a young generation imo and he has a certain way of conducting himself that comes across with a "strength" of a leader. He almost reminds me of a NFL type of coach or even a Ty Lue (not saying schematically bc obv we don't know that yet). But i just liked a kind of toughness he has & the way he communicates with his players.

It's not a knock on Darko, it's just a personal preference. I think Darko is a very easy person to like as he comes across as a genuinely great human being. I'm not writing him off as a leader yet but he doesn't convey that sense of leadership imo, more of a buddy than an authority. I feel like he comes across very much like an assistant coach who is great at an individual level and maybe even schematically but we'll see in time when the stakes are a bit higher how strong his leadership is and maybe it will grow in time as he gains experience as a HC. But that's where I got a stronger feeling for Jordie (who led Canada to their best result EVER, even over Nurse) over Darko. It's not hate on Darko to like Jordie more.

I was just saying based on where each guy was starting, I just preferred what I had seen of each guy's coaching style at the time they were being considered. I do think Darko has joined clearly the better situation though, I know Jordi is obviously anxious to be a HC but this Nets' job wouldn't be it if I were him lol that roster is gonna be stagnant af for the forseeable future.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
dkb964
Junior
And1: 182

Post#37 » by dkb964 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 pm

The Raptors should have hired him last year instead of Mr. Pizza Party.
dkb964
Junior
And1: 182

Post#38 » by dkb964 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:04 pm

positivetension wrote:

2024 1st
2025 Swap
2026 1st
2027 Swap

Brutal outlook, especially since their core is mediocre.

Just a rumor but apparently the Rockets offered a package including Jalen Green and their picks back for Mikal Bridges. If that is true, also brutal.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,490

Post#39 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:09 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Is there a team in a worse position than the Nets in the NBA? They're basically praying they can sign someone to make this team better because they really have no assets outside of Bridges, and could lose Claxton. They should have traded Bridges who they have internally overrated imo. He's not what they think he is.

Full circle for them lol
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,298

Post#40 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:13 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Is there a team in a worse position than the Nets in the NBA? They're basically praying they can sign someone to make this team better because they really have no assets outside of Bridges, and could lose Claxton. They should have traded Bridges who they have internally overrated imo. He's not what they think he is.

This is the part of it I don't like lol

It's completely understandable that a young coach is chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to coach a NBA team & there is potential for Jordi to "turn things around" as in get them back into competing for Play In spots but the downside is just so bad & WAY more likely...

Like you said there is a MAJOR chance Claxton walks and that will almost certainly destroy the defensive schemes for an already INCREDIBLY limited roster. All we need to do is look at how we went from mid to bottoming out without Yak and that could very easily be the case for BKN no matter what schemes Fernandez tries to draw up to mitigate the loss. You simply can't lose your defensive anchor for absolutely nothing and hope to be at the same level or better and again they don't have have any assets or flexibility to make up for it. Then you see how even internally teams get frustrated when they can't seem to get past a certain "ceiling" and when your ceiling is barely making it and more often than not, not making it -- this just has a gigantic waste of time written all over it.

I think Jordi let his anxiousness get the best of him because the upside is very limited and unlikely while the downside seems almost inevitable. For his sake hopefully he gets those guys to want to run through a brick wall for him lol because otherwise I have no idea other than personal ambition why he wanted this job that almost guarantees a bad start to his resume.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley

Return to Toronto Raptors