ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Other Toronto Sports teams

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,078

Re: OT: Other Toronto Sports teams 

Post#61 » by Westside Gunn » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:02 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
It's the third game of a 162 game season. :-?

So? Everyone could see the offseason was abysmal and enough embarrassing playoff failures.

Atkins needs to be fired 1 year ago

Shapiro needs to go. He calls all the shots. Atkins is just a mouthpiece, like Bobby.

He should never have been hired in the first place. He's a career underachiever. Cleveland fans (and fans of most fan bases) were trolling us so hard when we hired him. It was such an idiotic decision. But very on brand for Ed Rogers.

I just realized Shatkins and Shapiro have been employed by the Jays since 2015. Almost a decade now for doing nothing.

And historically, the only executive that went really long was Pat Gillick.

I truly think this is their last season.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,974

Post#62 » by Potential » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:21 pm

Coco Costanza wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Doesn't matter. Shatkins have an abysmal track record.
They shat the bed this off-season. No upgrades. I like the Turner signing and I'm content with the Yariel signing (mystery box). But they should've done a lot more.
Failed to land any big FA. Failed to trade for a star player.

Shatkins need to go.

Fully agreed.

Now replace Shatkins with Bobsai

Bobby and Masai are worse.

Lol the blue jays are the 2nd biggest clown show in baseball right now for a team with a top 7 payroll (mets #1).

Shatkins and Schneider plays the blame game after the controversial 'take berrios out the game for no reason' situation in the wild card and no one gets fired, literally no changes are made and they bring back their horrible hitting coach.

Had one of the most depressing offenses in baseball last year and they decide to run it back but this time with a 40 year old turner hoping he'll magically fix everything. Yesterday they had Daniel vogelbach batting 4th. This team will be lucky to even be in the wild card race.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#63 » by Vampirate » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:29 pm

beanbag wrote:
Vampirate wrote:The Jays just had their home opener - which Alek Manoah are we getting this year?

Hall of Famer Austin Matthews is doing his thing again where he scores a ton of goals, nobody cares because we want to get past the 2nd round.

I swear this is Mats Sundin all over again, but worse.

Alek Manoah is not on the team, lol.

He's on the DL

Raps in 4 wrote:I'm not investing more time in the Jays until this FO shows me they're serious about winning. In seven years of running the team, they've yet to show me they are. Since they started their rebuild in 2017, the Jays have made the playoffs three* times (*making the playoffs during a shortened season with a negative run differential shouldn't count, but I included it anyway), winning a grand total of zero playoff games...

Sadly this FO is still probably the third best FO we've ever had, likely easily too.

Vlad Jr just turning into your average prototypical power hitter basically screwed us. The guy was hopefully going to be an annual triple crown threat like Miggy was, or something close to that.

The only real sure things (of excellence) on this roster they did are probably Gausman (an awesome signing) and Bichette who I think they drafted.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,025

Post#64 » by DelAbbot » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:36 pm

Potential wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Fully agreed.

Now replace Shatkins with Bobsai

Lol the blue jays are the 2nd biggest clown show in baseball right now for a team with a top 7 payroll (mets #1).

Shatkins and Schneider plays the blame game after the controversial 'take berrios out the game for no reason' situation in the wild card and no one gets fired, literally no changes are made and they bring back their horrible hitting coach.

Had one of the most depressing offenses in baseball last year and they decide to run it back but this time with a 40 year old turner hoping he'll magically fix everything. Yesterday they had Daniel vogelbach batting 4th. This team will be lucky to even be in the wild card race.

Agree with all you said. Shatkins just pulling a Masai by running it back and giving them another chance. You objectively criticise Shatkins but give Masai a pass for the same
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,025

Post#65 » by DelAbbot » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:37 pm

Vampirate wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Vampirate wrote:The Jays just had their home opener - which Alek Manoah are we getting this year?

Hall of Famer Austin Matthews is doing his thing again where he scores a ton of goals, nobody cares because we want to get past the 2nd round.

I swear this is Mats Sundin all over again, but worse.

He's on the DL

Raps in 4 wrote:I'm not investing more time in the Jays until this FO shows me they're serious about winning. In seven years of running the team, they've yet to show me they are. Since they started their rebuild in 2017, the Jays have made the playoffs three* times (*making the playoffs during a shortened season with a negative run differential shouldn't count, but I included it anyway), winning a grand total of zero playoff games...

Sadly this FO is still probably the third best FO we've ever had, likely easily too.

Vlad Jr just turning into your average prototypical power hitter basically screwed us. The guy was hopefully going to be an annual triple crown threat like Miggy was, or something close to that.

The only real sure things (of excellence) on this roster they did are probably Gausman (an awesome signing) and Bichette who I think they drafted.

Third? How?
1. Pat Gillick
2. AA
3 Shatkins?
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,974

Post#66 » by Potential » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:41 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Potential wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:

Agree with all you said. Shatkins just pulling a Masai by running it back and giving them another chance. You objectively criticise Shatkins but give Masai a pass for the same

Yeah I don't understand the Masai criticism. He's coming off a decade of being the most successful team in the eastern conference and ended it off with a chip. First finals mvp to ever leave the team and we still had a great year in 2020. Then we tanked 1 year and found our franchise player that half of the fanbase criticized the pick in Scottie. He made some mistakes of not letting go of core players for a return of assets but at least we are now Quickley back on the right path with building around Scottie. (Pun intended).
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Vampirate » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:45 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
beanbag wrote:

He's on the DL

Third? How?
1. Pat Gillick
2. AA
3 Shatkins?

Well after AA we have

Gord Ash
J.P. Ricciardi
Atkins

I'd still take the FO that put the perpetual 90 win, playoff disappointment over J.P. and Ash.

Yeah, the bar isn't high.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#68 » by bballsparkin » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:12 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:\

We were one of the worst hitting teams last year.

So, what does our brilliant FO do in the off-season?

Do they go out and get a new hitting coach? No.

Do they go out and get any hitters? No.

So what did they do? Nothing. Literally, nothing.

Why would they so brazenly tank the season? Because they know their jobs are safe. The on-field performance doesn't matter to our turd of an owner. He cares about how much money he's able to milk from this miserable fan base. If he ever sells the team, there needs to be a parade.

I just want to see some hits. Last years product was boring. Hopefully this year is better.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,702

Post#69 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:47 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:I don't follow the Jays closely enough and it's only third game of the season. Nevertheless my hot take after watching a few innings today is they are dead in the water. No spark, no excitement, not enough offense, not nearly enough improvement this offseason. Shatkins must go, it's crazy that Ross Atkinson survived the playoff debacle last fall.

Unless of course they start a winning streak tomorrow.

Oops. Up 9-1. I was wrong, it's gonna be a good season, lots of offense. :D
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,996

Post#70 » by Coco Costanza » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:55 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
So? Everyone could see the offseason was abysmal and enough embarrassing playoff failures.

Atkins needs to be fired 1 year ago

So it's ridiculous to write the team off after three games. Hell, we likely won't know what this team is until July.

Until July? Is this lineup not the same as last year (nearly)? Except everyone is one year closer to retirement.

Yeah, none of that really means anything. But yes, it will probably take that long to get a sense of where the team is headed, because, again, they play 162 games. To put things into perspective, the 2015 Blue Jays were in third place by the end of July. They ended up winning the division title that season. Baseball is a marathon.

Now it's absolutely fair to say the Jays have failed to meet expectations. But I feel some of you guys are coming from a basketball mentality, and don't understand how hard it is for teams to make the playoffs in baseball. It's certainly much easier than it used to be, but nothing is guaranteed.

The Atkins era Blue Jays have not reached the heights of the Anthopolous era teams, but it's worth noting Anthopolous also had some bad seasons, and ultimately failed to make it to the World Series. As for Shapiro, he was brought on in part to oversee the Rogers Centre renovations, which have been well received. I don't think he's going anywhere.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,702

Post#71 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:12 pm

Coco Costanza wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
So it's ridiculous to write the team off after three games. Hell, we likely won't know what this team is until July.

Until July? Is this lineup not the same as last year (nearly)? Except everyone is one year closer to retirement.

Yeah, none of that really means anything. But yes, it will probably take that long to get a sense of where the team is headed, because, again, they play 162 games. To put things into perspective, the 2015 Blue Jays were in third place by the end of July. They ended up winning the division title that season. Baseball is a marathon.

Now it's absolutely fair to say the Jays have failed to meet expectations. But I feel some of you guys are coming from a basketball mentality, and don't understand how hard it is for teams to make the playoffs in baseball. It's certainly much easier than it used to be, but nothing is guaranteed.

The Atkins era Blue Jays have not reached the heights of the Anthopolous era teams, but it's worth noting Anthopolous also had some bad seasons, and ultimately failed to make it to the World Series. As for Shapiro, he was brought on in part to oversee the Rogers Centre renovations, which have been well received. I don't think he's going anywhere.

The 2015 team had way more talent, then was galvanized into a powerhouse by the deadline adds of Price, Tulo, and others. I can't picture anything like that happening this year. This current team's window may have passed.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#72 » by Psubs » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:04 am

Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Vampirate » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 pm

It is truly sad that Austin Matthews accomplishments have been overshadowed by his team's, inept playoff showing.

This guy is going to likely go down as one of the greatest scorers of all time, the Leafs drafting him is like the Raptors drafting KD basically, in terms of pure scoring talent.

69 goals is ridiculous in a season that he can still get 70+.

That's equivalent to averaging 35+ PPG on elite efficiency in the NBA.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,102

Post#74 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:34 pm

Vampirate wrote:It is truly sad that Austin Matthews accomplishments have been overshadowed by his team's, inept playoff showing.

This guy is going to likely go down as one of the greatest scorers of all time, the Leafs drafting him is like the Raptors drafting KD basically, in terms of pure scoring talent.

He has contributed his fair share to those putrid playoff showings, so that is why nobody cares. Everyone is in "wait and see" mode and we don't have too much longer to wait as I assume the Leafs will get a prime time slot on Saturday for Game 1.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#75 » by gp2015 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 pm

Vampirate wrote:It is truly sad that Austin Matthews accomplishments have been overshadowed by his team's, inept playoff showing.

That's partly his own fault. He has routinely come up short in the playoffs compared to his regular season output.

It's not like he doesn't have a good team around him either. He's their highest paid player and face of the team. The whole group has been a huge disappointment.

No one feels sorry for Harden when he gets clowned for choking in the playoffs. Put your big boy pants on and play better.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Post#76 » by binjumper » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 pm

Bruin wrote:Y’all should invest more of your fandom energy into a college team. Toronto sports are generally shambles except for the Raptors which are undergoing a rebuilding phase now

I’ve had a much better experience being able to turn to college sports when the Raptors **** the bed

This is what we call a bandwagoner. :lol: You live with the lows and highs. What comes up must come down.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Post#77 » by binjumper » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 pm

Jays Leafs has the opportunity to makes some noise regardless of what people think. TFC I don't know if I trust our DPs to not get fussy over a season.
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,130

Post#78 » by The Warrior » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 pm

metafisical wrote:At least the Leafs are a winning team. The Raptors are one of the worst in the league.

Hey at least the Raptors won a championship literally in the last 5 years. The Leafs have been one of the worst run franchises over two lifetimes.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,746

Post#79 » by metafisical » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:39 pm

The Warrior wrote:
metafisical wrote:At least the Leafs are a winning team. The Raptors are one of the worst in the league.

Hey at least the Raptors won a championship literally in the last 5 years. The Leafs have been one of the worst run franchises over two lifetimes.

I agree, but I don't want to bring up the past. For example, the Raps have 1 championship. The Leafs have many. But it doesn't matter. I only care about current season performance.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#80 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:39 pm

so the leafs playing Matthews or what?
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.

Return to Toronto Raptors