ImageImageImageImageImage

[Shams] Jontay Porter receives NBA lifetime ban

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Re: [Shams] Jontay Porter receives NBA lifetime ban 

Post#221 » by refshateRaps » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 am

Childs wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
carlosey wrote:Young people being addicted to crypto investing and gambling has reached a new level here.

It's amazing how much gambling has infiltrated society.

It's everywhere. Kids are also exposed to gambling via loot boxes in video games. Sports games are especially egregious in this regard. If you want the best players for your team, you're going to be spending hundreds/thousands of dollars to acquire them via "games of chance" (you open packs that have a miniscule chance of containing the player you want), and then you're going to do it again the following year when the new game comes out. All mobile games are structured this way, too. Kids get exposed to mobile games when they get their first phone or tablet (which tends to be a very young age these days). This **** needs to be made illegal (Belgium and the Netherlands have banned loot box mechanics in games, but most countries don't care).

Gambling was always there for kids. Growing up in my time, kids were gambling with Pogs, Crazy Bones, and Pokemon cards. Rampant as hell.

Yes it was...But the scarier part is now its being hyper seeded into the youths minds by not only video game tricks but ALL sports networks are in on it scam, along with the Government, as well as the bookies. They now have wayyyyyyy more mind control tools via social media to connect and way more tool to provide ease of access. The infiltration of promoting and seeding and providing greater access to gambling is absolutely absurd the last few years.

This ain't the same Bro.

The damage this will cause over the next few decades will be enormous and the bulk of carnage can all be buried within a controlled narrative and propaganda. All we will hear is stories about low hanging fruit like Porter and commercials telling people to 'set limits' so they can look clean in this insanity.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,777

Post#222 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:06 am

Bruin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

I saw Woj on NBA Today solemnly reporting this today, Silver sending a message, won't be tolerated, etc. Five minutes later Malika Andrews is doing a promo for ESPN Bet prop bets.

Such hypocrisy
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,597

Post#223 » by HangTime » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:11 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Bruin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

I saw Woj on NBA Today solemnly reporting this today, Silver sending a message, won't be tolerated, etc. Five minutes later Malika Andrews is doing a promo for ESPN Bet prop bets.

Such hypocrisy

I didn't see it, but I can only imagine

"Jontay Porter has been banned for betting on games and this segment is brought to you by Fan Duels."

So was that $80,000 bet that didn't hit, returned to the bettor because of this whole situation?

Or, If it did hit, would fanduels get to pocket the $80,000?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,546

Post#224 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:16 am

Childs wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
carlosey wrote:Young people being addicted to crypto investing and gambling has reached a new level here.

It's everywhere. Kids are also exposed to gambling via loot boxes in video games. Sports games are especially egregious in this regard. If you want the best players for your team, you're going to be spending hundreds/thousands of dollars to acquire them via "games of chance" (you open packs that have a miniscule chance of containing the player you want), and then you're going to do it again the following year when the new game comes out. All mobile games are structured this way, too. Kids get exposed to mobile games when they get their first phone or tablet (which tends to be a very young age these days). This **** needs to be made illegal (Belgium and the Netherlands have banned loot box mechanics in games, but most countries don't care).

Gambling was always there for kids. Growing up in my time, kids were gambling with Pogs, Crazy Bones, and Pokemon cards. Rampant as hell.

It's true. But I feel having to physically go to a store to buy a pack of cards or other collectibles somewhat distanced the kids from the act. It also made it clear that they are transacting money to play this "game of chance", if they chose to partake. I know I thought twice about spending my money on Pokemon cards/Pogs/Crazy Bones, or saving it for a video game or something. Gambling today is just integrated into normal childhood activities. Parents set up spending accounts for the kids or give them allowances, and they just play these games without even being able to understand that they are gambling money (something with real value) for digital items. The gambling mechanics are seamlessly integrated into the games.

FWIW, I'd love for collectible card packs and other similar junk to be banned as well.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,613

Post#225 » by dTox » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:18 am

Read on Twitter
?t=t6vcBa01ADU8HaYMD-qQZw&s=19

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#226 » by hype_2004 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 am

Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:You can beat your wife but you can't bet on yourself

Great job Adam Silver. Porter is a moron

This is it, the NBA has no morals and only interject if it affects the outcome of games and their bottomline. The NBA and Silver are allowed to manipulate games but a player can't under any circumstances throw away games and bet on it, but hey they can surely beat their wives, girlfriends, children or even in some rare cases rape women and abuse animals and that's ok :nonono:
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,793

Post#227 » by Jadoogar » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:52 am

ontnut wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
dagger wrote:
There is nothing wrong as I see it on an athlete betting on other sport

I would argue even this is wrong. These guys have way more access to information than the average person. They would know about injuries etc through friends or agents. It's essentially the same as insider trading.

So you're saying businessmen can't trade stocks of other businesses because they have more access to information? I dno if that's the way the world works.

I don't think there's much wrong with a NBA player betting on boxing...or the NHL....

not if they have insider info. If the CEO of Pepsi makes a killing on trading the stock of one specific company, i'm going to assume he had insider info. It may not be true but it's hard to shake that feeling because the CEO of pepsi probably knows a lot of other high level people, regardless of industry.

If Siakam was betting on the Blue Jays, the perception will be that he knows something because it's safe to assume he knows the players personally.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,613

Post#228 » by dTox » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:16 am

Read on Twitter
?t=uN4wuPga8vE7JkCSwj28Fw&s=19
TBZ for the win
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#229 » by PushDaRock » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Childs wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

It's true. But I feel having to physically go to a store to buy a pack of cards or other collectibles somewhat distanced the kids from the act. It also made it clear that they are transacting money to play this "game of chance", if they chose to partake. I know I thought twice about spending my money on Pokemon cards/Pogs/Crazy Bones, or saving it for a video game or something. Gambling today is just integrated into normal childhood activities. Parents set up spending accounts for the kids or give them allowances, and they just play these games without even being able to understand that they are gambling money (something with real value) for digital items. The gambling mechanics are seamlessly integrated into the games.

FWIW, I'd love for collectible card packs and other similar junk to be banned as well.

I don't think we can just ban everything that can be potentially harmful. If we went down that route, what wouldn't be banned?

In my opinion, this trend is more a reflection of where we are at as a society. Working a normal 9-5 used to be enough to get you a reasonable standard of living, but that's no longer the case anymore. This has caused a lot of disillusionment and pushed more and more people into becoming speculators of everything from stocks to memecoins in attempts to strike it rich. This isn't something that will just stop, it will keep growing as the list of things that can get speculated on will also grow with it.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#230 » by lolwut » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:38 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Childs wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Toy blind boxes are all the rage now. $20 for a figurine blind box.

And then there are the random loot boxes in video games.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#231 » by ishoy123 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:49 am

Amazing how many people don't seem to understand the difference between Porter and Miles Bridges. One has a direct influence on the game of basketball, the other doesn't.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,546

Post#232 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 am

PushDaRock wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Childs wrote:

I don't think we can just ban everything that can be potentially harmful. If we went down that route, what wouldn't be banned?

In my opinion, this trend is more a reflection of where we are at as a society. Working a normal 9-5 used to be enough to get you a reasonable standard of living, but that's no longer the case anymore. This has caused a lot of disillusionment and pushed more and more people into becoming speculators of everything from stocks to memecoins in attempts to strike it rich. This isn't something that will just stop, it will keep growing as the list of things that can get speculated on will also grow with it.

It's not really that complictaed. Ban gambling-adjacent activities for anyone under 18. Toy makers can still sell toys and cards to kids. They just can't sell them mystery boxes. Video game publishers can still sell characters and outfits, they just can't put them in mystery boxes. Any activity where you exchange money for a chance to win a prize shouldn't be allowed for children. Games of skill are fine. I'm talking specifically where you can't influence the outcome of the "pull".

The only reason they don't sell these things outright now is because they make more money by selling mystery boxes. A kid can build a team of their favourite players in FIFA for $100 if EA sold every player outright for $10. But that same kid right now might spend $1000 of their parents' money, gambling on the chance to get the players they want. Gacha games (FIFA, Genshin Impact, etc.) earn billions of dollars per quarter. Popular AAA games devoid of gambling mechanics (like Breath of the Wild, Elden Ring, etc.) won't crack that nunber in lifetime sales. Gambling is lucrative business. Doing something as simple as putting Mature/Adult Only ratings on these games would help.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Post#233 » by mrdressup » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 am

refshateRaps wrote:
Childs wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Yes it was...But the scarier part is now its being hyper seeded into the youths minds by not only video game tricks but ALL sports networks are in on it scam, along with the Government, as well as the bookies. They now have wayyyyyyy more mind control tools via social media to connect and way more tool to provide ease of access. The infiltration of promoting and seeding and providing greater access to gambling is absolutely absurd the last few years.

This ain't the same Bro.

The damage this will cause over the next few decades will be enormous and the bulk of carnage can all be buried within a controlled narrative and propaganda. All we will hear is stories about low hanging fruit like Porter and commercials telling people to 'set limits' so they can look clean in this insanity.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Post#234 » by mrdressup » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:11 am

mrdressup wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
Childs wrote:

This ain't the same Bro.

Gambling was always there for kids? It was practically non existent when I was growing up. We had no exposure to it. There weren't even provincial and State lotteries. About the only form of gambling that was widespread was weekly one night bingo games run by churches and fraternity groups. No one had stock trading accounts either. You were in a class apart if you had access to a stock broker, and stock markets hardly produced gains. No adult I knew followed that. We collected sports cards that were not seen as buying lottery tickets. More joy was achieved in completing sets with players we didn't even know. All I wanted was goalie cards. All my Wayne Gretzky rookie cards were traded away by my brother for a bunch of stickers he wanted to put on his lunch box. In time we started to see illegal punch boards appear in the back of convenience stores. Arcades weren't paying you off in anything but adrenaline, and you could get hooked on that. There weren't video games yet. We played outside, and winning hardly mattered because we never kept score most of the time until we simulated overtime when the games were nearing their end. When I was given my first pen knife I thought the world was my oyster for all the things I imagined I could carve with it. None of it was supposed to be a source of profit.

What I would say is that in a generation (my generation) we saw a complete transformation of the world in this regard. Gambling has been completely normalized. Governments run and sanction these things today. Everyone wants to be in bed with it to get their little bit of trickle down.

So, it's absolutely not the case that it has always been there. It wasn't everywhere in the mid 1970s. When we entered the greed is good era of the 1980s things changed. It is not before the 1980s that stock markets became a preoccupation of the middle class and a gambler's mentality slowly entered the fray. We needed cable TV to show us all that was a thing. We could not want what we did not know existed. When I went to University no young adult traded in equities yet. People still aspired to do things to get ahead. However it was the beginning of the era when yard sales started to appear. The treasure hunter/seekers mentality we have today exploded at this time. This is when I first heard rumblings that stuff I had played with as a kid had "collector" value. This is now synonymous with growing up now, and it is being exploited in young people by trying to sell them "collectible" whatever. People are mining virtual mountains for nuggets at a very young age. It's all exploitative of someone down the food chain. We clearly eat our young today. We couldn't care less that the barriers to entry to a normal life require huge credit bets to be made. I bought my first house with the proceeds of two summers of lawn mowing. 5K down is all I had to put up. 7 years of U set me back less than 4K. I made it to middle age without ever having to use personal credit. Actually, I still don't use it. I still only pay cash. I don't see progress all around me. I see plenty of social decline and a never ending supply of distraction and false aspiration.

It wasn't that long ago.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#235 » by maternal85 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:You can beat your wife but you can't bet on yourself

Great job Adam Silver. Porter is a moron

You'd watch Porter if he beat his wife. But you wouldn't watch him or attend Raptors games if you thought he was betting against the team, losing intentionally. Let's just be honest..

Weren't people still attending when our front office decided to purposely lose aka tank as well? Lol

There's no such a thing as tanking. That's a word the fans made up. It's simply player development while strategically putting yourself in a position to draft a potential superstar/ franchise player. This strategy landed us Barnes a few years ago. As a result most fans would support such. What benefits do fans get if players like Porter start "tanking" without the teams knowledge, especially if you're a championship team ? These are two different situations and you know it.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Post#236 » by refshateRaps » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 pm

mrdressup wrote:
mrdressup wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

This ain't the same Bro.

Gambling was always there for kids? It was practically non existent when I was growing up. We had no exposure to it. There weren't even provincial and State lotteries. About the only form of gambling that was widespread was weekly one night bingo games run by churches and fraternity groups. No one had stock trading accounts either. You were in a class apart if you had access to a stock broker, and stock markets hardly produced gains. No adult I knew followed that. We collected sports cards that were not seen as buying lottery tickets. More joy was achieved in completing sets with players we didn't even know. All I wanted was goalie cards. All my Wayne Gretzky rookie cards were traded away by my brother for a bunch of stickers he wanted to put on his lunch box. In time we started to see illegal punch boards appear in the back of convenience stores. Arcades weren't paying you off in anything but adrenaline, and you could get hooked on that. There weren't video games yet. We played outside, and winning hardly mattered because we never kept score most of the time until we simulated overtime when the games were nearing their end. When I was given my first pen knife I thought the world was my oyster for all the things I imagined I could carve with it. None of it was supposed to be a source of profit.

What I would say is that in a generation (my generation) we saw a complete transformation of the world in this regard. Gambling has been completely normalized. Governments run and sanction these things today. Everyone wants to be in bed with it to get their little bit of trickle down.

So, it's absolutely not the case that it has always been there. It wasn't everywhere in the mid 1970s. When we entered the greed is good era of the 1980s things changed. It is not before the 1980s that stock markets became a preoccupation of the middle class and a gambler's mentality slowly entered the fray. We needed cable TV to show us all that was a thing. We could not want what we did not know existed. When I went to University no young adult traded in equities yet. People still aspired to do things to get ahead. However it was the beginning of the era when yard sales started to appear. The treasure hunter/seekers mentality we have today exploded at this time. This is when I first heard rumblings that stuff I had played with as a kid had "collector" value. This is now synonymous with growing up now, and it is being exploited in young people by trying to sell them "collectible" whatever. People are mining virtual mountains for nuggets at a very young age. It's all exploitative of someone down the food chain. We clearly eat our young today. We couldn't care less that the barriers to entry to a normal life require huge credit bets to be made. I bought my first house with the proceeds of two summers of lawn mowing. 5K down is all I had to put up. 7 years of U set me back less than 4K. I made it to middle age without ever having to use personal credit. Actually, I still don't use it. I still only pay cash. I don't see progress all around me. I see plenty of social decline and a never ending supply of distraction and false aspiration.

It wasn't that long ago.

The Mob ran a gambling ring in my neighborhood growing up. It was more accessible as they had people promoting it to the youth in the schools so I guess it was more of a problem then most areas. But that's how I got to see first hand the damage it causes to friends & family. Especially the youth.

Now the rest of the world is gonna get to enjoy that honour of witnessing the long term damage. Just on a whole different hyper promoted cancerous level these days.

So sad to see this taking place when you know how it ends.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,402

Post#237 » by Mikistan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:46 pm

mrdressup wrote:
mrdressup wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

This ain't the same Bro.

It wasn't that long ago.

Congratulations, you got to benefit from intergenerational wealth disparity. In truth the prices you paid were underpriced because they were subsidized by the future generations for your benefit.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#238 » by PushDaRock » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

It's not really that complictaed. Ban gambling-adjacent activities for anyone under 18. Toy makers can still sell toys and cards to kids. They just can't sell them mystery boxes. Video game publishers can still sell characters and outfits, they just can't put them in mystery boxes. Any activity where you exchange money for a chance to win a prize shouldn't be allowed for children. Games of skill are fine. I'm talking specifically where you can't influence the outcome of the "pull".

The only reason they don't sell these things outright now is because they make more money by selling mystery boxes. A kid can build a team of their favourite players in FIFA for $100 if EA sold every player outright for $10. But that same kid right now might spend $1000 of their parents' money, gambling on the chance to get the players they want. Gacha games (FIFA, Genshin Impact, etc.) earn billions of dollars per quarter. Popular AAA games devoid of gambling mechanics (like Breath of the Wild, Elden Ring, etc.) won't crack that nunber in lifetime sales. Gambling is lucrative business. Doing something as simple as putting Mature/Adult Only ratings on these games would help.

Kids that want to buy these things are still going to find a way to buy them. We have been opening packs of sports cards for over a hundred years, this is just a supercharged version of that. If parents don't want their kids engaging with this stuff, they need to be the ones policing it themselves. Why are parents giving their kids $1000 to spend on these in the first place? The slope is slippery when we start arbitrarily banning things like this. Why wouldn't we be banning alcohol and tobacco as well which is far more harmful?

I obviously understand the mechanics behind these things and how they are designed to be addictive and offer that dopamine rush, but the mystery box in and of itself isn't just bad. It's entertainment and a kid just opening the occasional one isn't going to be harmed from it. As I said before, it's parenting that needs to get better here. They need to be the ones explaining the dangers of getting addicted to these games. If you're allowing your kids to put thousands of dollars of your money into this, you are the problem. This also isn't a trend that will be just going away, as things get more digital, there will only be more ways to engage with this sort of stuff.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#239 » by PushDaRock » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 pm

mrdressup wrote:
mrdressup wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

This ain't the same Bro.

It wasn't that long ago.

Your generation got all these great benefits at the expense of later ones.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,152

Post#240 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Bruin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46

Such hypocrisy

I don't understand what's hypocritical about banning Porter.

Should players be allowed to give out information that they're going to leave a game within 5 minutes so their friends can make millions? Should players be allowed to bet on their teams to lose games?

Return to Toronto Raptors