ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#261 » by Thaddy » Thu May 9, 2024 7:03 pm

Psubs wrote:
Thaddy wrote:
Psubs wrote:I wanna throw Trent's money at Obi Toppin. I feel like he's on the rise entering his prime years. 4 year deal for his 27-30 age years, I would give him $20 million per year. I don't think Indiana could match to have him coming off the bench. Raptors could have him as an eventual Boucher replacement.

PG IQ - Barnes - Carrington/JFL
SG Dick - Barrett - Carrington
SF Barrett - Holland - Agbaji
PF Barnes - Toppin - Boucher
C Poeltl - Olynyk - Chomche

I don't buy the shooting. I would rather gamble for a younger player (20-23) that can contribute a bit now and then really produce when we're ready to meaningfully compete.

Patrick Williams then? He's consistently shown the shooting but just seems to glide through games with no gravity. I guess fine off the bench to continually fight for minutes.

It would be a RJ like contract to pull PWill from the Bulls. I would say that's a fair contract for what he produces. A random idea. Maybe there's a Barrett for PWill+ S&T that could be worked out. It makes us defensively balanced and he's a better shooter. The Bulls might want Barrett to replace DeRozan and get younger.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#262 » by CazOnReal » Fri May 10, 2024 4:45 am

Barrett for P-Will is absolutely disgusting to even suggest.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,908

Post#263 » by agkagk » Fri May 10, 2024 4:52 am

CazOnReal wrote:Barrett for P-Will is absolutely disgusting to even suggest.

Pwill reminds me of tim thomas

His athletic tools, size and all around skill set looks good on his resume

But it’s going to get him over paid when hes just a very vanilla but solid bench player.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#264 » by CazOnReal » Fri May 10, 2024 4:58 am

agkagk wrote:

But it’s going to get him over paid when hes just a very vanilla but solid bench player.

It didn't even get him extended by the Bulls who freaking drafted him.

The only reason i'd even consider throwing him an offer sheet is other Bulls prospects have broken out since being traded like WCJ and Lauri. But that's merely a coincidence and shouldn't be taken as a surefire thing; Coby White broke out this year while Williams floundered once again - and in a contract year at that where he wants $20+ million AAV!
agkagk
Analyst

Post#265 » by agkagk » Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 am

CazOnReal wrote:
agkagk wrote:

The only reason i'd even consider throwing him an offer sheet is other Bulls prospects have broken out since being traded like WCJ and Lauri. But that's merely a coincidence and shouldn't be taken as a surefire thing; Coby White broke out this year while Williams floundered once again - and in a contract year at that where he wants $20+ million AAV!

The way the trent jr haters on this board talk about being overpaid based on his age and potential,

Theyre describing pwill’s future.

Someone will bite

Even at like 15 a year theyll regret it.

In baseball terms, hes replacement level.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Post#266 » by Thaddy » Fri May 10, 2024 6:21 am

Barrett's stats in Toronto so far makes his value higher than PWill. But PWill is the same age as Scottie (both Aug 2001). I wouldn't give up RJ but if PWill's viewed as a back up by Chicago I would want to add him to the young core here.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#267 » by CazOnReal » Fri May 10, 2024 8:15 am

Thaddy wrote:

Barrett's stats in Toronto so far makes his value higher than PWill. But PWill is the same age as Scottie (both Aug 2001). I wouldn't give up RJ but if PWill's viewed as a back up by Chicago I would want to add him to the young core here.

If Patrick Williams is viewed as a backup by Chicago then he won't cost us RJ.

Nor should he in a sign and trade.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,516

Post#268 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:24 pm

CazOnReal wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

If Patrick Williams is viewed as a backup by Chicago then he won't cost us RJ.

Nor should he in a sign and trade.

Chicago is a hard team to project. It would be insane to assume they're just going to re-up everyone and run it back but again, it's Chicago.

All of that said, something like $15-18M AAV should still be fairly decent value long term. He's young and Chicago historically isn't very good at developing guys. At a contract like that, we could be looking at the starting SF for our team for the foreseeable future or a versatile rotation piece. Either way, that's about as much as we were paying for Gary Trent, who I can't see coming back since we already have Barrett, Dick & Agbaji who would be eating up all the minutes there anyway. If anything, you may want to add an older veteran for help with these older guys, that might make some sense.

So, if Chicago is interested in a S&T of Trent for Williams, I would happily facilitate that. Otherwise, we should probably look at declining Brown's deal, renouncing Trent and just put in an offer for Williams.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Post#269 » by Pointgod » Fri May 10, 2024 3:26 pm

agkagk wrote:

Tim Thomas was at least a semi productive player for a season or two. I have no idea what the hell Pat Will actually does well.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,377

Post#270 » by alpngso » Fri May 10, 2024 4:32 pm

I would not want to be in Masai’s shoes. He brought this roster and situation on himself but this job is probably in the bottom 10 among 30 teams in the NBA based on assets and future chess moves.

Really interested to see how he can turn this around
agkagk
Analyst

Post#271 » by agkagk » Fri May 10, 2024 5:53 pm

Pointgod wrote:
agkagk wrote:

Tim Thomas was at least a semi productive player for a season or two. I have no idea what the hell Pat Will actually does well.

I know right!

Pwill is completely invisible on the court!
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,742

Post#272 » by Ell Curry » Fri May 10, 2024 9:12 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:IF we convey the pick to the Spurs and are looking to tank next year, I wonder if we could swing something like:

Raptors - Duren, Lonzo
Pels - Poeltl, #11 (CHI), Bruce Brown
Pistons - Ingram
Bulls - #21 (NOP)

Ain't no way the Pels are giving up Ingram for this cheap platter. He's their best trade chip and they desperately need a PG...my money is on Ingram ending up in ATL for Murray or Young. Both of these deals isn't enough for Ingram IMO.

I definitely prefer Siakam as my 4 to Ingram as my 3 and he went for a meh first in a bad draft and a 2026 pick from a team with lots of young talent and a franchise (regular season for sure at least) player. But definitely a positive for a 4 year max for Ingram from ages 28-31 instead of 30-33 like Siakam.

And the Pels have been open about planning to bust things up, so I think Ingram's value is probably lower than a lot of people do, but yeah, all it takes is one Ishbia style owner who wants an upgrade even if it means paying out picks (in a 3 way or the Pels sit tight and move picks later, but they have a ton so might be a Jrue Holiday style trade and quick follow up trade) or a team like Detroit to want a C or D level star to get some respectability back, or a team like the Kings to say **** it we've gotta do something.

I'll guess that addressing center or PG with a solid player on a decent deal, getting a late lottery pick and a useful expiring in Brown is about right, though maybe one late first or pick swap short of where this ends up, if only because this is a bad draft and as always, 4 teams can offer the above deal and only one team has to go over to get it done.
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,742

Post#273 » by Ell Curry » Fri May 10, 2024 9:22 pm

agkagk wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
agkagk wrote:

The way the trent jr haters on this board talk about being overpaid based on his age and potential,

Someone will bite

The Trent comparison might just be spot on. Hits 3s, not awful defensively and hey he's only 22, but unclear if there's any more to his game. Though everyone needs wings who can shoot. Cleveland would be slightly better off paying him 25M a year than Levert + Niang the same amount.
Where's the D?
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,677

Post#274 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:34 pm

alpngso wrote:I would not want to be in Masai’s shoes. He brought this roster and situation on himself but this job is probably in the bottom 10 among 30 teams in the NBA based on assets and future chess moves.

lol I don't see how you can even rationalize that.
We are no where near the tax
We have multiple picks over future drafts & all of our picks outside of 1
We have no contracts longer than 3yrs currently
We have multiple young players who we are invested in for the future

In Raptor Ball I Trust
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#275 » by CazOnReal » Fri May 10, 2024 9:43 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
agkagk wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:It didn't even get him extended by the Bulls who freaking drafted him.

Someone will bite

The Trent comparison might just be spot on. Hits 3s, not awful defensively and hey he's only 22, but unclear if there's any more to his game. Though everyone needs wings who can shoot. Cleveland would be slightly better off paying him 25M a year than Levert + Niang the same amount.

Cleveland doesn't have the ability to free up cap space without trading someone. We can (but shouldn't) by waiving our rights to Trent and not picking up Brown's option.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,464

Post#276 » by TimeForChange » Fri May 10, 2024 10:40 pm

Jonas as the back up 5 makes a lot of sense if you don't draft Clingan.

Then you can focus on guards/wings in the draft.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#277 » by CazOnReal » Sat May 11, 2024 4:03 am

If JV is coming home, he better get his f*cking ring

I'm still mad about that
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#278 » by Pointgod » Sat May 11, 2024 4:07 am

alpngso wrote:I would not want to be in Masai’s shoes. He brought this roster and situation on himself but this job is probably in the bottom 10 among 30 teams in the NBA based on assets and future chess moves.

I mean it’s pretty simple. Raptors should be in asset accumulation mode. They could be a salary dumping ground for a ton of teams. Boucher, Brown and Mc Daniels is 37 million in expiring contracts if they’re willing to take on longer term salary.

If you can’t find a taker for Browm use you caspace to get picks.
agkagk
Analyst

Post#279 » by agkagk » Sat May 11, 2024 6:42 am

Pointgod wrote:

I mean it’s pretty simple. Raptors should be in asset accumulation mode. They could be a salary dumping ground for a ton of teams. Boucher, Brown and Mc Daniels is 37 million in expiring contracts if they’re willing to take on longer term salary.

I kinda expect masai to do the opposite and shop brown + expirings + picks for a veteran starting sf
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#280 » by Pointgod » Sat May 11, 2024 7:31 pm

agkagk wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

I kinda expect masai to do the opposite and shop brown + expirings + picks for a veteran starting sf

Trading more picks for a non allstar player is the last thing we should do.

Return to Toronto Raptors