ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,771

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1901 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sat May 11, 2024 1:32 am

Yallbecrazy wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:Here are some college names that come up when you query for

USG >20
TS% >.600
ORB% >4
AST% >15
STL% >2
BPM >8

SR

NIQUE CLIFFORD
Josh Hart (best comp)
Delon Wright

JR

George Hill
David Roddy
Grant Williams
Dean Wade
Victor Oladipo
JONATHAN MOGBO

SO

Ja Morant
James Harden
Tyrese Haliburton
Brandin Podziemski
Donte DiVincenzo

FR

Zion Williamson
Collin Murray-Boyles
Greg Monroe

Granted a lot of the failed players who made the qualification as seniors played awful schedules in their particular year of production whereas Nique Clifford's SOS rating was 7.28 which is stronger than any other senior who qualified outside of Hart and Wright I believe.

There is a chance Nique is just coming into his own after wasted years at COLO and with proper development could become a talent worthy of #19 in hindsight.

I am surprised that a MWC team had a SOS that high so I do question the numbers somewhat. He was pretty bad the rest of his collegiate career, like don't get invited to play in a top 10 European league bad so I do question how real the jump was from year 3 to year 4.
On one hand I do like to see players take jumps as it shows they are getting better, but he was really bad for 3 years despite getting significant minutes and then all of a sudden excellent after dropping down in competition. I wouldn't consider him at #19, but luckily a team could invite him for a workout and if they like what they see then #31 could be in play.

There's definite risk involved but if the Sr season jump had more to do with being in a positive development environment and overcoming mental hurdles then he could be on an upward trajectory. Some of his HS production definitely translated, he grabbed 13.7 boards/g SR year in HS along with 6.3 stocks and the multidimensionality should translate to NBA too. He had some impressive games this year.

But yeah main issue is he's kind of timid and I think lacks self-belief in certain regards so I can't really say whether or not that can be remedied but he has a ton of natural talent. Digging into him it seems he worked with a life coach and was close to giving up because the situation got that bad at COLO but he was able to turn it around at CSU. I think those no ceilings guys did an interview with him but haven't watched it yet maybe there's more info to absorb from it.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#1902 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sat May 11, 2024 1:36 am

CSU had some pretty solid games this year

Boston College
Creighton
Washington
Saint Mary's
New Mexico (was super strong this year as MWC team)
Nevada (also strong MWC team)
Boise St. (ditto)
SDSU

and then Virginia and Texas in tournament
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,513

Post#1903 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:58 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Reed had 5/6 dunks vs KJ who had 11/15. Also a 27 FTR to 36 FTR favoring KJ. Those make me think KJ is a bigger threat at the rim.

Reed had an amazing college season like his dad did but he is a bad investment for a top ten lotto. Much rather have the older KJ at 31 but there are a number of options there.

I think the same thing. I like Reed Sheppard and the team that takes him is going to be very, very happy. IMO, Sheppard and Clingan have the highest floors in the top part of the draft.

But Toronto needs to swing big with this pick, if we manage to keep it. It's going to be a long time before we get this high of pick again so we can't afford to be conservative here. We gotta go for the guy who has the greatest chance to be a star.

If that guy is not a guard, we have options later in the draft. Although I'm beginning to doubt that Carter and McCain will be available at #19, I think Collier could be and we'd also have shot at guys like Sallis and Simpson at the top of the second round.

Plan 1: #6 - wing, #19 - big , #31 - guard
Plan 2: #6 - guard, #19 - big, #31 - wing

If we get in odds are that we'd place higher than 6 or the no odds 5. So we would be picking top 4. I agree long wings like Cody Williams are in abundance. Have to think if Raps are prioritizing defence then Castle would be in play and, maybe Risacher.

At 19. Yes a big even if we landed say Risacher at 3 or 4 then someone like Edey or Missi or Fillipowski or Tyler Smith or Salaun. 31st is for KJ or Carrington guards. Maybe Kolek drops or we like Spanish team Nunez.

Exactly. You get the idea.

Although my board looks completely different from yours lol. I have no interest in Castle in the Top 4, neither do I have interest in any of the guys you listed at #19.

For me, I'd be looking at one of Holland, Risacher, Buzelis or Williams at the top, one of Holmes or Ware as bigs or Carter or Collier (if they drop this far) at #19 and Simpson or Sallis at #31. Tyson is a contender for that pick as well.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,565

Post#1904 » by PhilBlackson » Sat May 11, 2024 3:25 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
I think the same thing. I like Reed Sheppard and the team that takes him is going to be very, very happy. IMO, Sheppard and Clingan have the highest floors in the top part of the draft.

But Toronto needs to swing big with this pick, if we manage to keep it. It's going to be a long time before we get this high of pick again so we can't afford to be conservative here. We gotta go for the guy who has the greatest chance to be a star.

If that guy is not a guard, we have options later in the draft. Although I'm beginning to doubt that Carter and McCain will be available at #19, I think Collier could be and we'd also have shot at guys like Sallis and Simpson at the top of the second round.

Plan 1: #6 - wing, #19 - big , #31 - guard
Plan 2: #6 - guard, #19 - big, #31 - wing

If we get in odds are that we'd place higher than 6 or the no odds 5. So we would be picking top 4. I agree long wings like Cody Williams are in abundance. Have to think if Raps are prioritizing defence then Castle would be in play and, maybe Risacher.

At 19. Yes a big even if we landed say Risacher at 3 or 4 then someone like Edey or Missi or Fillipowski or Tyler Smith or Salaun. 31st is for KJ or Carrington guards. Maybe Kolek drops or we like Spanish team Nunez.

Although my board looks completely different from yours lol. I have no interest in Castle in the Top 4, neither do I have interest in any of the guys you listed at #19.

For me, I'd be looking at one of Holland, Risacher, Buzelis or Williams at the top, one of Holmes or Ware as bigs or Carter or Collier (if they drop this far) at #19 and Simpson or Sallis at #31. Tyson is a contender for that pick as well.

I think best & most efficient way for the FO to draft would be to basically go in the order of what they say are their major needs…bigger wing to help defend, back up PG & 3rd string C as insurance and to develop as they age out.

TOR - Buzelis, Risacher, Holland or Williams
IND - McCain, Collier, Carter - if not upside swing Ware or Salaun
DET - Chomche, Holmes or Edey. If none of them are there then I’d grab one of Carrington or Sears (unless either Furphy or Smith drop, very slim chance)…and if none of those guys are there then Tyson or Sallis, I like Tyson’s offence more than Sallis defence so I’d favour JT.

But I think you have to take a wing if we keep our pick because once you get outside of the top 10, the rest of the names are pretty underwhelming and it’s the actual greatest need that likely have the greatest impact as we won’t be putting too much of that load on Scottie moving forward (and if we find his running mate we’re near set). Using a top 6 pick on a back up PG is silly then IQ has to be used in a trade to get that missing wing so I just don’t see us drafting either UK guard.

Using the IND pick makes much more sense to get a back up and there’s still a good chance we get a PG from a tier just under the 2 top guys (obv out of McCain, Collier or DC). If by some nightmare all of them are gone then I’d take a swing on one Ware or Saluan then hope I can snag one of Bub or Sears.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#1905 » by Dalek » Sat May 11, 2024 7:50 am

"Every draft has one all-star."

Read on Twitter

The quick twitch athleticism is real with AJ Johnson.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,811

Post#1906 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat May 11, 2024 11:56 am

More day until the draft lottery.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
CoinTossRoss31
Rookie
And1: 1,260

Post#1907 » by CoinTossRoss31 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:03 pm

I gotta say I'm really hoping we keep our pick tomorrow.

I'm okay forfeiting 12 - 18 next year if we land a solid couple of prospects in 2024
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 610

Post#1908 » by grant101 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:22 pm

Dalek wrote:"Every draft has one all-star."

Read on Twitter

AJ and Collier are the two projects I don't mind swinging on. He has all the tools to be great, I think the strength and weight come in time, my only concern is the consistent aggressiveness and motor
grant101
Pro Prospect

Post#1909 » by grant101 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:32 pm

Scottie's fav.

Still a big fan of Mogbo and could see him being the pick at 31 (though would prefer if we could snag him with a later pick or as a UDFA). Also, if that shot is real (his form always looked good to me), it's a game changer
grant101
Pro Prospect

Post#1910 » by grant101 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:33 pm

grant101 wrote:Scottie's fav.

Read on Twitter
?t=qzOwRvRx0Nq1JipQQ17BQQ&s=19

Still a big fan of Mogbo and could see him being the pick at 31 (though would prefer if we could snag him with a later pick or as a UDFA). Also, if that shot is real (his form always looked good to me), it's a game changer
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,736

Post#1911 » by Yallbecrazy » Sat May 11, 2024 12:43 pm

grant101 wrote:
Dalek wrote:"Every draft has one all-star."

Read on Twitter

AJ and Collier are the two projects I don't mind swinging on. He has all the tools to be great, I think the strength and weight come in time, my only concern is the consistent aggressiveness and motor

No concern that his shot is terrible? 54% free throw shooter.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1912 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:11 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

I think best & most efficient way for the FO to draft would be to basically go in the order of what they say are their major needs…bigger wing to help defend, back up PG & 3rd string C as insurance and to develop as they age out.

DET - Chomche, Holmes or Edey. If none of them are there then I’d grab one of Carrington or Sears (unless either Furphy or Smith drop, very slim chance)…and if none of those guys are there then Tyson or Sallis, I like Tyson’s offence more than Sallis defence so I’d favour JT.

But I think you have to take a wing if we keep our pick because once you get outside of the top 10, the rest of the names are pretty underwhelming and it’s the actual greatest need that likely have the greatest impact as we won’t be putting too much of that load on Scottie moving forward (and if we find his running mate we’re near set). Using a top 6 pick on a back up PG is silly then IQ has to be used in a trade to get that missing wing so I just don’t see us drafting either UK guard.

Using the IND pick makes much more sense to get a back up and there’s still a good chance we get a PG from a tier just under the 2 top guys (obv out of McCain, Collier or DC). If by some nightmare all of them are gone then I’d take a swing on one Ware or Saluan then hope I can snag one of Bub or Sears.

Would love to walk away with Collier. Somehow.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1913 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:29 pm

TOR - Risacher, Topic, Williams or Holland
IND - Collier, Salaun, Tyler Smith
DET - Roll the dice. Edey. JT. Furphy. Dadiet.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#1914 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sat May 11, 2024 1:49 pm

Mogbo is interesting for sure but his makeup seems more that of a rotation player who is of a better mold than someone with a similar job and size like Precious Achiuwa.

Mogbo moves well enough to ignore level of opposition IMO and qualified for the Nique Clifford query which demonstrates high efficiency and feel. He's absolutely in the mix it's just that he's old and highly destined for a bench role and on top of that probably won't ever shoot it well.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#1915 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sat May 11, 2024 2:07 pm

Still, the best strategy for #31 is to trade it or trade down unless the Raps are nearing the end of the 1st praying some guy falls that they really like and who ultimately happens to be there on the 2nd day.

If there are like 3 guys they like near equally they can probably feel comfortable trading down 7-8 spots.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,588

Post#1916 » by Brinbe » Sat May 11, 2024 2:42 pm

we'll finally know tonight. gonna be some funny reactions either way
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,563

Post#1917 » by mtcan » Sat May 11, 2024 2:57 pm

Brinbe wrote:we'll finally know tonight. gonna be some funny reactions either way

Isn't the lottery tomorrow afternoon?

Odd time for sure.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,737

Post#1918 » by WuTang_OG » Sat May 11, 2024 3:03 pm

Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,588

Post#1919 » by Brinbe » Sat May 11, 2024 3:04 pm

mtcan wrote:
Brinbe wrote:we'll finally know tonight. gonna be some funny reactions either way

Isn't the lottery tomorrow afternoon?

Odd time for sure.

oh you're right :lol: def thought it was tonight.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,811

Post#1920 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat May 11, 2024 3:17 pm

It’s the most wonderful time of the year
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.

Return to Toronto Raptors