ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,232

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 

Post#1701 » by HumbleRen » Sat May 11, 2024 1:42 am

Brunson was horrible down the stretch. Playing too angry.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#1702 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat May 11, 2024 1:42 am

Get Nembhard on that Olympic team
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#1703 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat May 11, 2024 1:43 am

HumbleRen wrote:Brunson was horrible down the stretch. Playing too angry.

Ref baiting doesn’t work as well on the road
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,102

Post#1704 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 1:54 am

There was a soft block call on McBride in the third or early 4th, even Doris called it out. No big deal. But McBride gets bumped and bodied that much on every trip upcourt.

And this:
Read on Twitter

Carlyle got his $35k worth of help tonight.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,284

Post#1705 » by MiamiSPX » Sat May 11, 2024 2:25 am

No way the Knicks lose that game had OG played, which makes his injury proneness all the more frustrating.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,413

Post#1706 » by TOStateofMind » Sat May 11, 2024 2:26 am

Of course nembhard makes that one :lol:

Damn near every knick game these playoffs feeling like a game 7
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,989

Post#1707 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:35 am

Pascal with an “outright bad” game with 26 points and 7 rebounds. Haliburton was outstanding. Pacers should feel good right now because Alec Burks and Donte aren’t going to do this again. The 3pt shot making from the Knicks was unreal and it kept them in the game.

If Haliburton plays to his potential then the difference between these two teams are marginal at best. Knicks got all the experience though and that’s why I think they’ll ultimately close this one out.

MiamiSPX wrote:No way the Knicks lose that game had OG played, which makes his injury proneness all the more frustrating.

I don’t think you can say that after the Knicks shot 51% from three. lol.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,847

Post#1708 » by Basketball_Jones » Sat May 11, 2024 2:37 am

There was a game tonight!??? Jesus at least give them some rest in between cities lol.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1709 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 2:41 am

Los_29 wrote:Pascal with an “outright bad” game with 26 points and 7 rebounds. Haliburton was outstanding. Pacers should feel good right now because Alec Burks and Donte aren’t going to do this again. The 3pt shot making from the Knicks was unreal and it kept them in the game.

If Haliburton plays to his potential then the difference between these two teams are marginal at best. Knicks got all the experience though and that’s why I think they’ll ultimately close this one out.

MiamiSPX wrote:No way the Knicks lose that game had OG played, which makes his injury proneness all the more frustrating.

I hope you mean the difference between them now, with Knicks having so many injuries. It's pretty clear with OG Robinson and Bogdanovic, and Brunson's foot healthy, New York would put them away easily. And that's not even including Randle, just the guys they started the playoffs with
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1710 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:52 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:Pascal with an “outright bad” game with 26 points and 7 rebounds. Haliburton was outstanding. Pacers should feel good right now because Alec Burks and Donte aren’t going to do this again. The 3pt shot making from the Knicks was unreal and it kept them in the game.

I hope you mean the difference between them now, with Knicks having so many injuries. It's pretty clear with OG Robinson and Bogdanovic, and Brunson's foot healthy, New York would put them away easily. And that's not even including Randle, just the guys they started the playoffs with

Don’t think Haliburton is healthy. When they are both healthy I like the Knicks team more though.

Pacers aren’t too far behind though. They could’ve easily taken game 1 if it weren’t for some very questionable calls late in the game.

That’s the risk the Knicks took when they acquired these guys. Bogs, Robinson and OG are three guys that are always hurt. When they do get hurt you can’t be surprised. Availability is the best ability.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#1711 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 3:01 am

Just tuning in now but let me guess. The refs are actually calling the 5 or 6 touch fouls the wolves commit on every defensive possession lol.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#1712 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 3:09 am

Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Don’t think Haliburton is healthy. When they are both healthy I like the Knicks team more though.

Pacers aren’t too far behind though. They could’ve easily taken game 1 if it weren’t for some very questionable calls late in the game.

That’s the risk the Knicks took when they acquired these guys. Bogs, Robinson and OG are three guys that are always hurt. When they do get hurt you can’t be surprised. Availability is the best ability.

Og is the social media **** favorite player because he can score 8 points, get 3 rebounds, 1 assist but noone on nba twitter cares enough about him to talk trash. So it creates this weird "I'll go with OG because there's no such thing as a disappointing game from him" dynamic. Which is justified on his current contract.

But the next one?

I mean....the bar is set so low for him you gotta strain your back.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,265

Post#1713 » by sidsid » Sat May 11, 2024 3:33 am

Minny offense feeds off of their D, which isn't delivering today. This is where I don't trust KAT in games where he has to be more directly involved as the catalyst. He's barely done anything outside of taking 3s this game.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1714 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:34 am

Lot of fight left in Denver. They may have found something here. Minnesota is going to need to make adjustments.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#1715 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 3:38 am

I figures thus game was the most important in the entire nba season. So much of the future of the league deciding on how this game went.

Did someone solve the Denver offense? Was the pistons-style defence gonna be resurrected?

Game 2 was so shocking to me....I was ready to embrace a new sea change in the league. But it's looking like that was premature.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1716 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 4:01 am

mdenny wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:I hope you mean the difference between them now, with Knicks having so many injuries. It's pretty clear with OG Robinson and Bogdanovic, and Brunson's foot healthy, New York would put them away easily. And that's not even including Randle, just the guys they started the playoffs with

Og is the social media **** favorite player because he can score 8 points, get 3 rebounds, 1 assist but noone on nba twitter cares enough about him to talk trash. So it creates this weird "I'll go with OG because there's no such thing as a disappointing game from him" dynamic. Which is justified on his current contract.

But the next one?

He had 28 points in 3 quarters in game 2. But what you really don't understand with this narrative, is his defense. Scorers have a big responsibility but another huge responsibility is guarding the best opponent every game.

I've no idea about social media. Not sure how it's relevant. But I see what NBA coaches and analysts who played say. Reggie Miller said last game, he's the unsung hero of the Knicks. Barkley said something about, I'd love to be OGs agent. Chris Finch had a lot of praise for him back in January when they played NY. Insiders who know the game, know his value. His record since he joined the Knicks speaks for itself. But hey you hang onto this weird petty narrative if you want.

I'm not talking about his injury history, it is what it is.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#1717 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 4:12 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

But the next one?

He had 28 points in 3 quarters in game 2. But what you really don't understand with this narrative, is his defense. Scorers have a big responsibility but another huge responsibility is guarding the best opponent every game.

I've no idea about social media. Not sure how it's relevant. But I see what NBA coaches and analysts who played say. Reggie Miller said last game, he's the unsung hero of the Knicks. Barkley said something about, I'd love to be OGs agent. Chris Finch had a lot of praise for him back in January when they played NY. Insiders who know the game, know his value. His record since he joined the Knicks speaks for itself. But hey you hang onto this weird petty narrative if you want.

How many games did fred score 28 and get 8 assists yet you trashed him because you were following the basketball casual trends? And free wasn't even paid like an allstar even though he put up allstar numbers.

In this playoffs (and every playoffs for that matter)....OG is averaging very pedestrian stats. He has never locked down an opposing star in the playoffs to some significant degree. And when he gets injured....he follows the example set by his idol (kawhi leonard) which is "protect my future profits, sit for as long as I can because I'm not passionate about winning".

The only reason why kawhi did not sit out our chip run was because he needed to secure the next bag. If he wasnt an upcoming free agent....he wouldn't have even played during our chip run.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1718 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:15 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

But the next one?

So now it’s important what coaches and analysts say? Walt, don’t change. It’s always a good laugh. :D

I’m more bullish about OG than Mdenny is. He’s an elite role player who can defend a variety of different positions and knock down threes. If guys like Herro are going to make 30 million then I don’t see why OG wouldn’t. That is solid value. The issue is if he gets a lot more than that.

My point about the Knicks is you can’t cry about injuries when the guys who are getting injured are constantly injured. Celtics aren’t crying too much about Porzingis because that’s the risk you take with these guys.

Pacers are a super young team with many of their rotation players playing in their first playoffs. Knicks have guys like Brunson, Hart, Donte, OG and many others who have played in the playoffs. Knicks should still put them away. I still like the Knicks in 6 prediction.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#1719 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 4:22 am

Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:

But the next one?

So now it’s important what coaches and analysts say? Walt, don’t change. It’s always a good laugh. :D

I’m more bullish about OG than Mdenny is. He’s an elite role player who can defend a variety of different positions and knock down threes. If guys like Herro are going to make 30 million then I don’t see why OG wouldn’t. That is solid value. The issue is if he gets a lot more than that.

My point about the Knicks is you can’t cry about injuries when the guys who are getting injured are constantly injured. Celtics aren’t crying too much about Porzingis because that’s the risk you take with these guys.

Pacers are a super young team with many of their rotation players playing in their first playoffs. Knicks have guys like Brunson, Hart, Donte, OG and many others who have played in the playoffs. Knicks should still put them away. I still like the Knicks in 6 prediction.

I'm already on record for saying....30 milly per year is a stretch for OG but it's not a glaring overpay. 35 is glaring. 40 us ridiculous. Anything more than that is insane

Could be the knicks already got a commitment for a certain amount which is reflected in our big trade return. In NY....there's a million ways to pay players more than their contracts.

Especially for a role playerlike OG who has never faced any scrutiny by casual fans (who are the chief source of all nba revenue).
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1720 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 4:28 am

mdenny wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:

But the next one?

How many games did fred score 28 and get 8 assists yet you trashed him because you were following the basketball casual trends? And free wasn't even paid like an allstar even though he put up allstar numbers.

In this playoffs (and every playoffs for that matter)....OG is averaging very pedestrian stats. He has never locked down an opposing star in the playoffs to some significant degree. And when he gets injured....he follows the example set by his idol (kawhi leonard) which is "protect my future profits, sit for as long as I can because I'm not passionate about winning".

The only reason why kawhi did not sit out our chip run was because he needed to secure the next bag. If he wasnt an upcoming free agent....he wouldn't have even played during our chip run.

I knew this was about Fred all along, lol. I only ever criticized him based on what I saw, social media trends mean nothing to me because I'm not on Twitter or Reddit or anything like those, too old. Fred was not good last year, I think now his back or whatever was hampering his defense. He was much better this year, as the leader of an 11th place team. I don't care if he's overpaid, more power to him getting that money.

I don't have such a cynical attitude towards injuries. I hate that they happen, and no doubt some guys are more prone to them, just the way their bodies are made. But I never question that Kawhi, or OG, or most guys, want to play if they could. I take injuries at face value, I don't think guys fake them.

Tell me, do you think OG really had appendicitis in 2019 or did just want to sit and watch the championship run in street clothes.

Return to Toronto Raptors