ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,991

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 

Post#1721 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:34 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
He had 28 points in 3 quarters in game 2. But what you really don't understand with this narrative, is his defense. Scorers have a big responsibility but another huge responsibility is guarding the best opponent every game.

I've no idea about social media. Not sure how it's relevant. But I see what NBA coaches and analysts who played say. Reggie Miller said last game, he's the unsung hero of the Knicks. Barkley said something about, I'd love to be OGs agent. Chris Finch had a lot of praise for him back in January when they played NY. Insiders who know the game, know his value. His record since he joined the Knicks speaks for itself. But hey you hang onto this weird petty narrative if you want.

I'm not talking about his injury history, it is what it is.

How many games did fred score 28 and get 8 assists yet you trashed him because you were following the basketball casual trends? And free wasn't even paid like an allstar even though he put up allstar numbers.

In this playoffs (and every playoffs for that matter)....OG is averaging very pedestrian stats. He has never locked down an opposing star in the playoffs to some significant degree. And when he gets injured....he follows the example set by his idol (kawhi leonard) which is "protect my future profits, sit for as long as I can because I'm not passionate about winning".

The only reason why kawhi did not sit out our chip run was because he needed to secure the next bag. If he wasnt an upcoming free agent....he wouldn't have even played during our chip run.

I knew this was about Fred all along, lol. I only ever criticized him based on what I saw, social media trends mean nothing to me because I'm not on Twitter or Reddit or anything like those, too old. Fred was not good last year, I think now his back or whatever was hampering his defense. He was much better this year, as the leader of an 11th place team. I don't care if he's overpaid, more power to him getting that money.

I don't have such a cynical attitude towards injuries. I hate that they happen, and no doubt some guys are more prone to them, just the way their bodies are made. But I never question that Kawhi, or OG, or most guys, want to play if they could. I take injuries at face value, I don't think guys fake them.

Tell me, do you think OG really had appendicitis in 2019 or did just want to sit and watch the championship run in street clothes.

It’d be silly to think that those injuries didn’t exist. But what I always found odd was how much time he missed. Is that normal to miss two months with appendicitis?

I think he was too young and inexperienced to play much during that run anyway but it would have still been nice to have him out there off the bench.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,102

Post#1722 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 4:42 am

Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Og is the social media **** favorite player because he can score 8 points, get 3 rebounds, 1 assist but noone on nba twitter cares enough about him to talk trash. So it creates this weird "I'll go with OG because there's no such thing as a disappointing game from him" dynamic. Which is justified on his current contract.

But the next one?

I mean....the bar is set so low for him you gotta strain your back.

He had 28 points in 3 quarters in game 2. But what you really don't understand with this narrative, is his defense. Scorers have a big responsibility but another huge responsibility is guarding the best opponent every game.

I've no idea about social media. Not sure how it's relevant. But I see what NBA coaches and analysts who played say. Reggie Miller said last game, he's the unsung hero of the Knicks. Barkley said something about, I'd love to be OGs agent. Chris Finch had a lot of praise for him back in January when they played NY. Insiders who know the game, know his value. His record since he joined the Knicks speaks for itself. But hey you hang onto this weird petty narrative if you want.

So now it’s important what coaches and analysts say? Walt, don’t change. It’s always a good laugh. :D

I’m more bullish about OG than Mdenny is. He’s an elite role player who can defend a variety of different positions and knock down threes. If guys like Herro are going to make 30 million then I don’t see why OG wouldn’t. That is solid value. The issue is if he gets a lot more than that.

My point about the Knicks is you can’t cry about injuries when the guys who are getting injured are constantly injured. Celtics aren’t crying too much about Porzingis because that’s the risk you take with these guys.

Pacers are a super young team with many of their rotation players playing in their first playoffs. Knicks have guys like Brunson, Hart, Donte, OG and many others who have played in the playoffs. Knicks should still put them away. I still like the Knicks in 6 prediction.

Yes I put more stock in what coaches and analysts say than what Twitter and tiktok says. Don't think I've ever said different.

Who are you saying is crying about injuries? Knicks fans? Like me lol. The players and Thibs aren't crying, they are embodying next man up more than any team I've ever seen. Who cares what fans say. I don't imagine Boston players are crying either, they have lots of talent without Porzingas. It's not about crying, it's just a mental exercise to predict what would happen if guys were healthy.

I agree Pacers have a nice team, great offense, maybe a little soft. Cavs too. Everyone healthy, hypothetically, I'd take Knicks over anyone else in the East and give Boston a run. My opinion.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1723 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:50 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

So now it’s important what coaches and analysts say? Walt, don’t change. It’s always a good laugh. :D

I’m more bullish about OG than Mdenny is. He’s an elite role player who can defend a variety of different positions and knock down threes. If guys like Herro are going to make 30 million then I don’t see why OG wouldn’t. That is solid value. The issue is if he gets a lot more than that.

My point about the Knicks is you can’t cry about injuries when the guys who are getting injured are constantly injured. Celtics aren’t crying too much about Porzingis because that’s the risk you take with these guys.

Pacers are a super young team with many of their rotation players playing in their first playoffs. Knicks have guys like Brunson, Hart, Donte, OG and many others who have played in the playoffs. Knicks should still put them away. I still like the Knicks in 6 prediction.

Yes I put more stock in what coaches and analysts say than what Twitter and tiktok says. Don't think I've ever said different.

Who are you saying is crying about injuries? Knicks fans? Like me lol. The players and Thibs aren't crying, they are embodying next man up more than any team I've ever seen. Who cares what fans say. I don't imagine Boston players are crying either, they have lots of talent without Porzingas. It's not about crying, it's just a mental exercise to predict what would happen if guys were healthy.

I agree Pacers have a nice team, great offense, maybe a little soft. Cavs too. Everyone healthy, hypothetically, I'd take Knicks over anyone else in the East and give Boston a run. My opinion.

Well in your case, it depends on the player. If the coaches and analysts are saying something nice about a player you dislike then you brush it off and ignore it. Unfortunately that’s not how it works Walt.

You and other Knicks fans seem to be bringing up injuries a lot. I’m just going by what I see on here and on social media. And it’s surprising given the fact they benefitted greatly from a hobbled Embiid in the 1st round.

I like the Knicks as the 4th best team in the East when health is factored in. But you never know, maybe they can beat Boston. East isn’t as strong as the West.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1724 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 4:56 am

Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
How many games did fred score 28 and get 8 assists yet you trashed him because you were following the basketball casual trends? And free wasn't even paid like an allstar even though he put up allstar numbers.

In this playoffs (and every playoffs for that matter)....OG is averaging very pedestrian stats. He has never locked down an opposing star in the playoffs to some significant degree. And when he gets injured....he follows the example set by his idol (kawhi leonard) which is "protect my future profits, sit for as long as I can because I'm not passionate about winning".

The only reason why kawhi did not sit out our chip run was because he needed to secure the next bag. If he wasnt an upcoming free agent....he wouldn't have even played during our chip run.

I knew this was about Fred all along, lol. I only ever criticized him based on what I saw, social media trends mean nothing to me because I'm not on Twitter or Reddit or anything like those, too old. Fred was not good last year, I think now his back or whatever was hampering his defense. He was much better this year, as the leader of an 11th place team. I don't care if he's overpaid, more power to him getting that money.

I don't have such a cynical attitude towards injuries. I hate that they happen, and no doubt some guys are more prone to them, just the way their bodies are made. But I never question that Kawhi, or OG, or most guys, want to play if they could. I take injuries at face value, I don't think guys fake them.

Tell me, do you think OG really had appendicitis in 2019 or did just want to sit and watch the championship run in street clothes.

It’d be silly to think that those injuries didn’t exist. But what I always found odd was how much time he missed. Is that normal to miss two months with appendicitis?

I think he was too young and inexperienced to play much during that run anyway but it would have still been nice to have him out there off the bench.

I think the emergency appendectomy happened right before the playoffs. I'm not sure but don't think anyone would have come back from that. He played 67 games that year, 20 mpg, would have contributed in playoffs. 2020 his third year is where he really stepped up, 69 games, 30 mpg, essentially replaced Kawhi on a 53 win great team (in a 72 game season).

Just as some guys are more prone to injury than others, some heal faster or slower. I'm not a medical expert
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,548

Post#1725 » by bballsparkin » Sat May 11, 2024 5:04 am

A poster on a website is a "casual" because his or her opinion is different than mine. Even though that poster watches more basketball than most. Such a yawn word. :roll:

News flash: OG is likeable. He plays great defence when healthy and is very big for such a diverse defender. Will he get overpaid? **** yeah this is the NBA. NYK's problem. His offence is not great but fans know that. Make the right pass, hit the open shot, don't dribble too much, and always hustle on defence.

Casual fan thumbs up OG! Keep rocking. :rock:
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1726 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 5:07 am

Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Well in your case, it depends on the player. If the coaches and analysts are saying something nice about a player you dislike then you brush it off and ignore it. Unfortunately that’s not how it works Walt.

You and other Knicks fans seem to be bringing up injuries a lot. I’m just going by what I see on here and on social media. And it’s surprising given the fact they benefitted greatly from a hobbled Embiid in the 1st round.

I like the Knicks as the 4th best team in the East when health is factored in. But you never know, maybe they can beat Boston. East isn’t as strong as the West.

Don't know what you're talking about in first paragraph.

The Knicks had a crazy amount of injuries after the magical January run of 14-2. I won't list them all, you know them. I'm not a long time Knicks fan but having frequented their board since the trade, yeah I'd say some of them feel cursed, having suffered so long, had that great January run, only to be struck by a horrible rash of injuries. At the same time they love their team and are proud of the toughness and resilience.

Every team has injuries, this year seems to be especially bad. But some have more than others. Would we have won in 2019 if KD and Klay were healthy? I want to think so but who knows
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1727 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:08 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

I think the emergency appendectomy happened right before the playoffs. I'm not sure but don't think anyone would have come back from that. He played 67 games that year, 20 mpg, would have contributed in playoffs. 2020 his third year is where he really stepped up, 69 games, 30 mpg, essentially replaced Kawhi on a 53 win great team (in a 72 game season).

Just as some guys are more prone to injury than others, some heal faster or slower. I'm not a medical expert

Yeah but he missed the entire playoffs. Patrick Mahomes had an appendectomy and missed 11 days. Burrow had it and missed the start of training camp I believe. About a 4 week recovery. Football players are intense though. You’re right, every one is different.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1728 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 5:10 am

bballsparkin wrote:A poster on a website is a "casual" because his or her opinion is different than mine. Even though that poster watches more basketball than most. Such a yawn word. :roll:

News flash: OG is likeable. He plays great defence when healthy and is very big for such a diverse defender. Will he get overpaid? **** yeah this is the NBA. NYK's problem. His offence is not great but fans know that. Make the right pass, hit the open shot, don't dribble too much, and always hustle on defence.

You made me laugh. But it will go over a certain poster's head. Casual being his fallback insult to anyone who doesn't share his opinion.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1729 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:14 am

bballsparkin wrote:A poster on a website is a "casual" because his or her opinion is different than mine. Even though that poster watches more basketball than most. Such a yawn word. :roll:

Knicks can probably handle OG’s contract as well given the fact Brunson is criminally underpaid.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1730 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 5:16 am

Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Yeah but he missed the entire playoffs. Patrick Mahomes had an appendectomy and missed 11 days. Burrow had it and missed the start of training camp I believe. About a 4 week recovery. Football players are intense though. You’re right, every one is different.

This article seems to say he got an infection during or after the appendectomy. I don't know the details of that or those quarterbacks. I do recall from my young son having one years ago, about age 8, it makes a huge difference if they take it out before it "bursts". My son had that and he was quite sick in hospital and had a much longer recovery. (He was fine after it was over)

https://www.raptorshq.com/2019/7/12/20689341/toronto-raptors-2018-19-player-review-og-anunoby-lost-season
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1731 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 5:21 am

Los_29 wrote:

Knicks can probably handle OG’s contract as well given the fact Brunson is criminally underpaid.

I don't follow contracts closely but from their board I gather all 3 Nova guys and McBride are all underpaid or very reasonably paid relative to their talent. I think they're in position to pay OG as you say and add a piece as well. Lots of draft picks. We'll see what they do this summer. Seems like with the latest CBA teams have shorter windows and tough decisions. But I think they have a chance to become really good next season
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#1732 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 5:25 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Lol it didn't matter that OG was watching in street clothes.

In fact...if he was active we might not have won the chip.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1733 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 5:27 am

mdenny wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:

Lol it didn't matter that OG was watching in street clothes.

In fact...if he was active we might not have won the chip.

Or won it a couple of games sooner
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1734 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 5:29 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:I think the emergency appendectomy happened right before the playoffs. I'm not sure but don't think anyone would have come back from that. He played 67 games that year, 20 mpg, would have contributed in playoffs. 2020 his third year is where he really stepped up, 69 games, 30 mpg, essentially replaced Kawhi on a 53 win great team (in a 72 game season).

This article seems to say he got an infection during or after the appendectomy. I don't know the details of that or those quarterbacks. I do recall from my young son having one years ago, about age 8, it makes a huge difference if they take it out before it "bursts". My son had that and he was quite sick in hospital and had a much longer recovery. (He was fine after it was over)

https://www.raptorshq.com/2019/7/12/20689341/toronto-raptors-2018-19-player-review-og-anunoby-lost-season

Edit - infection seems to be a big factor after the appendectomy:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-feb-28-sp-31303-story.html
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#1735 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 5:30 am

If OG was capable of "hitting the right pass" then his career assist numbers would be better lol.

Crazy that Pascal gets so much hate around here and he's actually a guy who DOES make the right pass.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#1736 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 5:34 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

It may be true that you don't surf Twitter and reddit. But you definitely put all your stock in what the realgm casual squad was saying. And they were the product of twitter and reddit and the secret collusional chat rooms associated with this board.

You were so enthralled by that whole little crowd that you started bullying me like a coward. I don't respect you nor do I respect anything you say about ball. Don't interact with me. I already requested that of you.

Anyone who wants to worship at the throne of OG....he's been in the league for how many years? How many opposing star players has he shut down in the playoffs. My count is zero.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1737 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 5:45 am

mdenny wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

It may be true that you don't surf Twitter and reddit. But you definitely put all your stock in what the realgm casual squad was saying. And they were the product of twitter and reddit and the secret collusional chat rooms associated with this board.

I make my own observations.

There were irrational Fred haters here sure. I always put myself down the spectrum as a Fred critic. When I thought he wasn't playing well. And his style just wasn't enjoyable to me. He's gone now by the way.

Those secret chat rooms, which one poster invited me to and I said no, sure were terrible though weren't they? What damage they did.

In case you miss my sarcasm, my real point is that a bunch of posters in a private chat room where you don't know what's being said, had no impact on my life or yours. Interesting you still think about them though, I'd forgotten till now.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#1738 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 5:47 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

There were irrational Fred haters here sure. I always put myself down the spectrum as a Fred critic. When I thought he wasn't playing well. And his style just wasn't enjoyable to me. He's gone now by the way.

Those secret chat rooms, which one poster invited me to and I said no, sure were terrible though weren't they? What damage they did.

In case you miss my sarcasm, my real point is that a bunch of posters in a private chat room where you don't know what's being said, had no impact on my life or yours. Interesting you still think about them though, I'd forgotten till now.

Number of star players that OG has shut down in nba playoffs = zero

How long we gonna wait for that until 10 points/3 rebounds per game is unacceptable?
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#1739 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 5:52 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

So you were invited to the secret nerd chatroom?

That should put to bed that it existed. In which they colluded to manipulate this forum and advance an agenda by spamming and bullying.

They did ALOT of damage to this board. One hint supporting that fact is they denied they existed. Yet you have disclosed they did!

"How do we get this guy banned? How do we we do this or that?"

Pathetic nerd bullies.They loved you enough for an invite.

When duffman came back and restored some sensible order to this forum he expressed some skepticism that these colluding chatrooms existed. Thank you for telling us that he was wrong for being skeptical.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1740 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:57 am

This whole time I thought those secret chat rooms were a joke. The fact they actually exist is hilarious.

OG and the rest of the team did a pretty good job on Tatum. Although Miami did an even better job on him in the ECF. OG really hasn’t had enough playoff experience to answer that question though. OG isn’t good enough to shut down a franchise player. No one is, but he’s good enough to slow them down. And if he can do that and hit 3s, not try to do too much offensively then he’s a great player.

WaltFrazier wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Edit - infection seems to be a big factor after the appendectomy:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-feb-28-sp-31303-story.html

That changes things then. Didn’t know he had an infection.

Return to Toronto Raptors