ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Do you want to keep or convey the pick?

Keep the pick
44%
Convey the pick
39%
Don’t care
17%

Total votes: 136

kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,053

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#641 » by kalel123 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:31 am

I was always for conveying but damn, it f'ing hurts. God nobody to blame but Ujiri and Webster to putting the team in this s#!tty position.

I hated Poeltl trade then and I hate it even more now. I still can't fathom how a front office that's been all about flexibility decided to double down on the flawed core when they did. That was about the worst thing they could've done at the time.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,205

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#642 » by tecumseh18 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:37 am

Duffman100 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Malaki Branham? He sort of sucks

Spurs got a first round pick for a second round pick and unloaded a guy that was completely useless. They won plain and simple. Great trade for them regardless who they end up picking because they gave nothing of value.

And the raptors freed up cap room and drafted a decent center prospect. It didn't work out for them and it didn't work out for the Spurs either. I don't think you can include that in the "masterclass".

Yes, Koloko was on his way to being good. And Nembhard may have dropped to us. You make that trade 10 out 10 times. Not to mention we added PF-SF depth for the 2022 playoff run (needed because of OG's fragility, but it ended up being Scottie who got injured). Thad was also supposed to be a mentor for Scottie, which was a huge driving force for the trade. The Raptors as a franchise are better than the Pistons or Hornets because we understand what "development" means. And not-so-coincidentally, Scottie is so far the only all-star of the 2021 draft class.

No way I trade Poeltl right now for the 8th pick. Poeltl is more valuable than that, and may even net us a couple of OKC's surplus FRPs along with a prospect. Would much rather have a legit C on a tradeable contract than whatever Castle is. So that aspect of the Spurs trade I'm happy with, which is why I've always been on Team Convey. As for the other aspect of the trade - i.e. whether we could have tanked our way to a better pick than Gradey if we didn't trade for Jak - I dunno. IIRC, Dick tended to be mocked in the 6-10 range anyway.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,425

Post#643 » by TOStateofMind » Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 am

FO got what they deserved. At least we can move past this now.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,023
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#644 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 12:58 am

kalel123 wrote:I was always for conveying but damn, it f'ing hurts. God nobody to blame but Ujiri and Webster to putting the team in this s#!tty position.

I hated Poeltl trade then and I hate it even more now. I still can't fathom how a front office that's been all about flexibility decided to double down on the flawed core when they did. That was about the worst thing they could've done at the time.

That's what overvaluing players on inflated stats against Gleague competition does. Paying dearly now.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,337

Post#645 » by brownbobcat » Mon May 13, 2024 12:59 am

tecumseh18 wrote:Yes, Koloko was on his way to being good. And Nembhard may have dropped to us. You make that trade 10 out 10 times. Not to mention we added PF-SF depth for the 2022 playoff run (needed because of OG's fragility, but it ended up being Scottie who got injured). Thad was also supposed to be a mentor for Scottie, which was a huge driving force for the trade. The Raptors as a franchise are better than the Pistons or Hornets because we understand what "development" means. And not-so-coincidentally, Scottie is so far the only all-star of the 2021 draft class.

No way I trade Poeltl right now for the 8th pick. Poeltl is more valuable than that, and may even net us a couple of OKC's surplus FRPs along with a prospect. Would much rather have a legit C on a tradeable contract than whatever Castle is. So that aspect of the Spurs trade I'm happy with, which is why I've always been on Team Convey. As for the other aspect of the trade - i.e. whether we could have tanked our way to a better pick than Gradey if we didn't trade for Jak - I dunno. IIRC, Dick tended to be mocked in the 6-10 range anyway.

I don't even know where to start with this delusion.
Koloko was maybe on his way to possibly being something, he was far from a lock to be a rotation player. And a defense of the front office that starts with, "they're better than Detroit/Charlotte"?! I'm speechless.

You actually think Toronto is ever going to be in a position to turn down a top-10 pick for a guy who barely even plays 4th quarters for a 25 win team? I'm sure it will happen right after you turn Margot Robbie. Even Masai basically admitted it was a mistake and you guys are still here defending the move "10 out of 10 times".

I'm especially tickled by the argument that Toronto would've picked Dick anyway regardless of whether they drafted higher and its equally idiotic corollary that they would have picked Koloko with the FRP so that trade didn't matter either.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,432

Post#646 » by JB7 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 am

So if your the Spurs, do you want two top 10 picks in this draft, or do you think they would have preferred another FRP pick in the 2025 or 2026 draft?

Raps FO played this as well as they could have, considering everything that happened this year.

Tanking for a better chance at a high pick made sense once Scottie went down, but again it is a chance, and they probably had light protections on the pick this year because they didn’t want to retain a 7-10 pick in this draft, and then give up a decent pick in either the 2025 or 2026 draft.

And I still think the trade for Yak was worth giving up this pick. The Raps are pitiful without a competent C. They could not have signed Yak as a FA, because they only had the MLE available, and Yak wanted $20M. Yak was going to sign with whatever team held his rights, and Boston was interested in Yak. So if Raps didn’t trade for him, the Celtics probably would have acquired him.

What other competent C could the Raps have acquired for less than this pick?
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,439

Post#647 » by Johnny Bball » Mon May 13, 2024 1:03 am

So there's two teams that jumped over top? Pretty thin odds.

At least that's over, its 8th they convey, and they keep next years pick.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,818

Post#648 » by Lord_Zedd » Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 am

Just saw the results, and lol

If there's any sort of solace in losing out on the 8th pick, for whatever reason the 8th pick in the NBA draft is cursed.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/8th-overall-draft-picks-nba
causal_fan
Junior
And1: 339

Post#649 » by causal_fan » Mon May 13, 2024 1:13 am

If the Raptors decide to tank the next 2 seasons, whom of Barnes/Quickley/Barrett is likely to ask out.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,927

Post#650 » by deeps6x » Mon May 13, 2024 1:15 am

_MidNight_ wrote:Image

Sam Vecenie just finished a mock draft after the lottery results... Very interesting listen and reasoning behind all the picks.
What really got me was pick 16 to Philly which they didn't give a reason for and said Philly won't keep the pick and tossed in Collier. I believe if they do they are very very likely to pick Da Silva here as Harris is done in Philly.. Which means one of Collier, Carrington, Missi, and Tyler Smith could be in play. Who do you think Masai would select if the board looks like this and those are our options at 19?

I want DaRon Holmes at #19.

But you know what? If the draft goes down like this, screw it. Take Edey.

And at #31, Pacome Dadiet.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,730

Post#651 » by Scase » Mon May 13, 2024 1:29 am

causal_fan wrote:If the Raptors decide to tank the next 2 seasons, whom of Barnes/Quickley/Barrett is likely to ask out.

Definitely not the guy on a 250+mil contract, definitely not the guy who JUST re-signed to a new 4 year, and probably not the guy who is only seen as a good player now that he plays here.

Y'all are so fickle.
Props TZ!
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,971

Post#652 » by Tortiglioni » Mon May 13, 2024 1:41 am

causal_fan wrote:If the Raptors decide to tank the next 2 seasons, whom of Barnes/Quickley/Barrett is likely to ask out.

We aren't tanking, we're gunning for 13th again.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,875

Post#653 » by ConSarnit » Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 am

basketballto wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
causal_fan wrote:
Perhaps - What if the Raptors pick at 19 turns out better than the Spurs pick at 8 and/or the Raptors eventually trade Poeltl for a player/pick better than whom the Spurs pick at 8 this year?

Doesn’t matter. It’s like making the wrong move in poker but still winning. The trade for Poeltl was awful. We completely overpaid and got worse.

Results don't matter to you? What matters is how a trade looks on a certain day? The Spurs already wasted a second round pick on nobody. The latest Mock draft has
Dalton Knecht SG going in the 8th spot. I'd rather have an average tall center in their prime then a slow no defense scorer.

This is a great day. We got a tall average nba center for an overpaid rookie and saved our pick. If we won the lottery we would have needed to pay a huge rookie contract for a guy who normally would be paid much less in a normal draft year.

Let the Spurs keep Dalton Knecht. I want a shot next year.

Who could forget about the results! All of that Poeltl-led success!

Oh wait, we have a grand total of 1 play-in game LOSS as our “success” with Poeltl.

Why do people treat this like all the trade cost us was the 8th pick this year?

2023: late season push with Poeltl cost us 6-7 draft slots. Instead we got an embarrassing loss to the Bulls in the play-in

2024: completely lost a top 10 pick

2025: keeping Poeltl probably makes us a mediocre team next year when we should be bad. That will probably cost us another 6-7 draft slots.

Three years with Poeltl, likely zero playoff appearances BUT completely forfeited a lotto pick and probably a dozen or so draft slots. How the f*ck is any of that “results”?

We traded for a guy who has helped us win jack sh*t AND hurt our draft prospects during a time when we should have been rebuilding.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,230

Post#654 » by MoneyBall » Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 am

Lord_Zedd wrote:Just saw the results, and lol

If there's any sort of solace in losing out on the 8th pick, for whatever reason the 8th pick in the NBA draft is cursed.

Looking at the last four drafts, I'd say the "curse" has been lifted.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,053

Post#655 » by kalel123 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 am

Johnny Bball wrote:So there's two teams that jumped over top? Pretty thin odds.

At least that's over, its 8th they convey, and they keep next years pick.

Yeah, but there's always a team that jumps into top 4 from behind. We were always going to lose the pick unless we go into top 4 ourselves. Understand we didn't have a choice with all those injuries, but this is why I was always against outright tanking this season before the injuries and didn't see the point either after.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,875

Post#656 » by ConSarnit » Mon May 13, 2024 1:50 am

Scase wrote:

Definitely not the guy on a 250+mil contract, definitely not the guy who JUST re-signed to a new 4 year, and probably not the guy who is only seen as a good player now that he plays here.

Y'all are so fickle.

No one pays any attention. RJ asks out? Whatever shall we do?! Quickley ask out? Since when does a non-all star ever have that leverage?

Then there is Barnes. At the end of 2 years from now he’ll have just ended the first season of his new deal. Here’s the earliest any star has ever asked out: Kyrie after the 2nd year of his max deal. So the earliest anyone has ever asked out, 2 years into their max deal, IS THE BIGGEST HEADCASE OF ALL TIME. Call me crazy but I think we’ll have a little more leeway with Barnes.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,818

Post#657 » by Lord_Zedd » Mon May 13, 2024 1:51 am

MoneyBall wrote:

Maybe Franz has a chance.

But Walker hasn't shown anything, and will most likely get buried behind Siakam and Toppin. Daniels can't even get playing time from a team that badly needs a playmaker, and Toppin is a bench/6th man at best.
MoneyBall
Analyst

Post#658 » by MoneyBall » Mon May 13, 2024 1:59 am

Lord_Zedd wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:

Maybe Franz has a chance.

But Walker hasn't shown anything, and will most likely get buried behind Siakam and Toppin. Daniels can't even get playing time from a team that badly needs a playmaker, and Toppin is a bench/6th man at best.

If by cursed you mean they haven't turned into franchise players, I agree. I was thinking more in terms of serviceable NBA talent.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,730

Post#659 » by Scase » Mon May 13, 2024 2:00 am

ConSarnit wrote:
Scase wrote:

Y'all are so fickle.

No one pays any attention. RJ asks out? Whatever shall we do?! Quickley ask out? Since when does a non-all star ever have that leverage?

Then there is Barnes. At the end of 2 years from now he’ll have just ended the first season of his new deal. Here’s the earliest any star has ever asked out: Kyrie after the 2nd year of his max deal. So the earliest anyone has ever asked out, 2 years into their max deal, IS THE BIGGEST HEADCASE OF ALL TIME. Call me crazy but I think we’ll have a little more leeway with Barnes.

Yeah, I dont get what the pearl clutching is about. RJ is not a player you sacrifice an entire team rebuild over....you know, much like Jak/Siakam/FVV aren't either. We've seen how that turned out.

IQ would have zero reason either, he'll be well paid and we'll have his bird rights. I would imagine players would rather leave a team clearly mired in mediocrity. 2 bad years to improve long term? Yeah I don't see anyone crying.
Props TZ!
MoneyBall
Analyst

Post#660 » by MoneyBall » Mon May 13, 2024 2:04 am

Now we can trade away our 2025 pick on draft night!

Return to Toronto Raptors