ImageImageImageImageImage

taking advantage of perceived weak draft

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,058

Re: taking advantage of perceived weak draft 

Post#21 » by NotMyKawhi » Mon May 13, 2024 2:16 am

Tripod wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:
Tripod wrote:We are not trading Yak. People need to stop with that foolishness.

We are going to add a C who can learn from Yak and Olynyk....expecting it from pick #31

We better trade yak. Tanking and freeing up cap space for 2025 is our only chance

You are going to be disappointed

Nope, pretty confident MU will be fired
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,818

Post#22 » by ConSarnit » Mon May 13, 2024 2:21 am

mdenny wrote:The way to take advantage of a weak draft is to opt for volume (quantity) rather than draft position (quality).

Especially given the rookie contract commitments. Better off spreading those commitments out.

Look for teams seeking to trade down *ie trade the 8th overall for the 14th and 18th type of thing.

The weaker the draft, the less important the draft position.

While I think volume is not a bad strategy I think you still need to have higher-ish draft picks (lotto). Even in “bad” drafts the talent still almost always goes in the top 15. Having a top 7 pick seems less important in a bad draft but teams are still relatively solid at sniffing out talent before the lotto is over.
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 611

Post#23 » by grant101 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:22 am

I think there are some really interesting ready-to-contribute big wings in the middle of this draft. I wonder if Portland is open to consolidating 34 & 40 into 31? I can't imagine they want to add 4 rookies into an already young team (with many more draft picks on the way). If so, then you can choose two of Jamir Watkins, Nique Clifford, Alex Karaban, etc
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#24 » by mdenny » Mon May 13, 2024 2:28 am

ConSarnit wrote:
mdenny wrote:The way to take advantage of a weak draft is to opt for volume (quantity) rather than draft position (quality).

Especially given the rookie contract commitments. Better off spreading those commitments out.

Look for teams seeking to trade down *ie trade the 8th overall for the 14th and 18th type of thing.

The weaker the draft, the less important the draft position.

While I think volume is not a bad strategy I think you still need to have higher-ish draft picks (lotto). Even in “bad” drafts the talent still almost always goes in the top 15. Having a top 7 pick seems less important in a bad draft but teams are still relatively solid at sniffing out talent before the lotto is over.

There is zero consensus on draft order....which obviously suggests draft order is less important than usual.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,174

Post#25 » by tecumseh18 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:00 am

Tripod wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:
Tripod wrote:We are not trading Yak. People need to stop with that foolishness.

We are going to add a C who can learn from Yak and Olynyk....expecting it from pick #31

We better trade yak. Tanking and freeing up cap space for 2025 is our only chance

I can't believe people are talking about trading Jak PLUS A PICK to move up in this miserable draft. It's honestly hilarious/pathetic.

Jak is an integral part of the development of our young players - particularly IQ. It's imperative that we have a good screener and guy who finishes at the rim. THAT'S how you develop players, not whatever the hell the Pistons have been doing for the last few years.

When Poeltl is injured, it all falls to crap. Olynyk is not in the same universe as Jak as an effective C. Kelly is a back up 4, at his highest. If for some reason we want to go big, maybe he could start at the 4. We obviously need another real C to do C stuff for when Jak is injured or otherwise off the court. If none appears in the draft, I'd even countenance bringing in JV as a backup.

However, if OKC crashes out of the playoffs and decides they need a real C and move Chet to the 4, then they may the 2025 draft picks (e.g. Miami's lottery protect pick, which is unprotected in 2026) and prospects to get Poeltl. But we're talking multiple picks, and not in the 25 to 30 range either.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,339

Post#26 » by Shakril » Mon May 13, 2024 12:43 pm

I fail to see the benefit. As far as the Draft goes, there arent big differences in Talent. Its probably the first draft in years, where there is no consensus on the top picks. This just gets more complicated down the line. In the end its not worth to give a up a Starter and a pick for a Roleplayer you dont know how he will pan out.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,075

Post#27 » by Indeed » Mon May 13, 2024 1:04 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Tripod wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:

I can't believe people are talking about trading Jak PLUS A PICK to move up in this miserable draft. It's honestly hilarious/pathetic.

Jak is an integral part of the development of our young players - particularly IQ. It's imperative that we have a good screener and guy who finishes at the rim. THAT'S how you develop players, not whatever the hell the Pistons have been doing for the last few years.

When Poeltl is injured, it all falls to crap. Olynyk is not in the same universe as Jak as an effective C. Kelly is a back up 4, at his highest. If for some reason we want to go big, maybe he could start at the 4. We obviously need another real C to do C stuff for when Jak is injured or otherwise off the court. If none appears in the draft, I'd even countenance bringing in JV as a backup.

However, if OKC crashes out of the playoffs and decides they need a real C and move Chet to the 4, then they may the 2025 draft picks (e.g. Miami's lottery protect pick, which is unprotected in 2026) and prospects to get Poeltl. But we're talking multiple picks, and not in the 25 to 30 range either.

Indeed, teams move down in a weak draft, because you get the same tier level of player.

Since we are tanking next year, we should be acquiring bad contract, instead of giving up bad contract. We should keep Poeltl, and maybe make use of your cap space for another bad contract to acquire a pick for next year.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,304

Post#28 » by God Squad » Mon May 13, 2024 1:26 pm

I still hate this draft, particularly at the top of it. I've spent months reviewing it, but I couldn't get on board with most of the prospects.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,304

Post#29 » by God Squad » Mon May 13, 2024 1:29 pm

Indeed wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Tripod wrote:You are going to be disappointed

Indeed, teams move down in a weak draft, because you get the same tier level of player.

Since we are tanking next year, we should be acquiring bad contract, instead of giving up bad contract. We should keep Poeltl, and maybe make use of your cap space for another bad contract to acquire a pick for next year.

Are we though? I'm pretty sure we're gonna compete and let the chips fall where they may. Now it'll likely lead to a lotto pick, but I wouldn't call it tanking.

But who knows with Masai.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,706

Post#30 » by Psubs » Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Trade poeltl and the 19th to OKC?

For their 12th pick? I honestly don't see that much a drop off in talent from 12 to 19.

I don't think I'd do 19 + Poeltl for Memphis 9th pick either.

It would be a draft night trade, like watching Haliburton drop from mocked around 5-6 to 11. Maybe Ron Holland drops?

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Cody Williams mocked at #13. OMG, would OKC really pass on uniting Cody with Jalen Williams? :o

If Cody is gone, I could see OKC who finished 1st in the west, not want to gamble on a C and get a proven Poeltl that is good defensively. Maybe #19, Poeltl and 2024 2nd pick for #12, and 2024 1st pick?

This way, if Zvonimir Ivisic declares can take him with the OKC pick. :nod: Give him a promise to stay in the draft next year. Though if he blows up, then draft him mid-1st round with the Raptor pick. Though I like Nolan Traore with the mid 1st.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,075

Post#31 » by Indeed » Mon May 13, 2024 4:26 pm

God Squad wrote:
Indeed wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Are we though? I'm pretty sure we're gonna compete and let the chips fall where they may. Now it'll likely lead to a lotto pick, but I wouldn't call it tanking.

But who knows with Masai.

We are going to compete, just the roster talent isn't going to put us to the play-in, which is (unintentionally) tanking.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,815

Post#32 » by OakleyDokely » Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm

I'm not sure how much value there is in moving up in a draft with a lot of parity and no real (obvious) star talent.

In the latest ringer mock, they have Cody Williams going 8th and Collier going 19th. Will there be that much of a difference between these guys to justify giving up assets to move up? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Unless you see a undervalued guy with potential that you think will get snapped up, I'd probably just stay put.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,985
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#33 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 4:40 pm

Perfect. A weak draft for a weak team.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,823

Post#34 » by Raps in 4 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:32 pm

Psubs wrote:
Lord_Zedd wrote:

For their 12th pick? I honestly don't see that much a drop off in talent from 12 to 19.

I don't think I'd do 19 + Poeltl for Memphis 9th pick either.

It would be a draft night trade, like watching Haliburton drop from mocked around 5-6 to 11. Maybe Ron Holland drops?

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Cody Williams mocked at #13. OMG, would OKC really pass on uniting Cody with Jalen Williams? :o

If Cody is gone, I could see OKC who finished 1st in the west, not want to gamble on a C and get a proven Poeltl that is good defensively. Maybe #19, Poeltl and 2024 2nd pick for #12, and 2024 1st pick?

This way, if Zvonimir Ivisic declares can take him with the OKC pick. :nod: Give him a promise to stay in the draft next year. Though if he blows up, then draft him mid-1st round with the Raptor pick. Though I like Nolan Traore with the mid 1st.

Unless Masai is in love with someone at #12, it's not worth the bad optics. He'd be trading the #8 and #19 picks for the #12 pick + whatever pick OKC would be giving up from next year's draft. I say write this year off and regroup at next year's draft. The Poeltl trade is a sunk cost and they shouldn't dig that hole any deeper than it already is.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#35 » by Pointgod » Mon May 13, 2024 5:33 pm

We can take advantage of a weak draft by just buying picks or leveraging our capspace to get a pick. This is what smart teams do.
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#36 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 5:35 pm

Pointgod wrote:We can take advantage of a weak draft by just buying picks or leveraging our capspace to get a pick. This is what smart teams do.

What assets do the Raptors have besides Barnes and RJ? Assuming Immanuel resigns.

Maasai can always deal the 2025 FRP :lol:
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,893

Post#37 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon May 13, 2024 5:40 pm

Only if Dieng is coming back
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,667

Post#38 » by djsunyc » Mon May 13, 2024 5:44 pm

masai basically said he wasn't a huge fan of this draft. he traded away a pick despite knowing there was a good shot we would convey another pick to the spurs so i don't see him itching to get back into this one. i *could* see him trading #19 and #31 to move up if there's definitely someone he wants. but i don't see him trading any future assets to enter or move up in this draft.
will
RealGM

Post#39 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 5:45 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:

Only if Dieng is coming back

Ousmane!

No Dembele.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,434

Post#40 » by vulture » Mon May 13, 2024 5:54 pm

The hope is that Masai and bobby can find a rotation player with one of these 2 picks. Would love a wing defender/scorer but you have to get lucky.

Return to Toronto Raptors