ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Masai Tank 4 Flagg?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Cooper Flagg Sweeptakes 2025

Tank 4 Flagg (& other top talents)
60%
Don't tank and pray Masai finds a gem in the teens-20s
13%
Push for the play-in, baby.
27%

Total votes: 134

Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Re: Will Masai Tank 4 Flagg? 

Post#201 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon May 13, 2024 4:56 pm

dagger wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:We'd be pairing down to Detroit levels of suck, to have a realistic chance at top three. We'd be sellers at the draft.

Detroit had the worst record three years in a row now and has ended up drafting fifth three years in a row. I get the Flagg thing, but you had better be confident that the fifth overall pick is going to be good before you embark on a plan to have the worst record

You don't need to be confident if you don't have a #1 option, that's just the path you go. It's not something you knowingly opt into if you don't have to.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,450

Post#202 » by PushDaRock » Mon May 13, 2024 5:22 pm

dagger wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:We'd be pairing down to Detroit levels of suck, to have a realistic chance at top three. We'd be sellers at the draft.

Detroit had the worst record three years in a row now and has ended up drafting fifth three years in a row. I get the Flagg thing, but you had better be confident that the fifth overall pick is going to be good before you embark on a plan to have the worst record

Yup, a true tank is the last 20 games of the season for the entire year. Does anyone want to sit through that again for at best a 40% shot at a top 3 pick?
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,957

Post#203 » by SHFT » Mon May 13, 2024 5:26 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:Even if we try to be good next year it WON'T happen lol....Scottie/IQ/Barrett not a winning team in the NBA just yet....Coach sucks...We have no real way to improve this team in the offseason...We will be a young bad team next year....

We had OG/Siakam for half the year last season ...That added about 10-15 wins to the team we had...Once we made them trades we were on pace as the Pistons/Spurs/Hornets level of bad....

We will be going for a top pick next year believe that...Ace Bailey i think is the target for Masai..

As for the people saying we should try to win next year cause the Hawks got the 1st pick....Just lol...As long as we are in the top 3 next year we will be fine....Hopefully top 2...If you hit top 2 next year and can pick between Cooper/Bailey...Thats franchise changing stuff...
>We had OG/Siakam for half the year last season ...That added about 10-15 wins to the team we had...Once we made them trades we were on pace as the Pistons/Spurs/Hornets level of bad....

Yes because nothing else happened to impact our record

Sent from my SM-G991W using RealGM mobile app
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,383

Post#204 » by ItsDanger » Mon May 13, 2024 5:29 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
dagger wrote:

Yup, a true tank is the last 20 games of the season for the entire year. Does anyone want to sit through that again for at best a 40% shot at a top 3 pick?

I would if they loaded the roster with more young prospects. I'm not talking about G league signings.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,303

Post#205 » by ruckus » Mon May 13, 2024 5:32 pm

While strategically it makes sense, with the lottery odds flattened, it's not ideal to punt a whole season for a 14% chance for the #1 pick if we're specifically talking about Flagg.

I really don't see this front office coming into a season expecting or trying to tank. As in previous seasons, they'll do what they can with the roster to get them in a position to win games and then they'll pivot if it isn't working.
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,077

Post#206 » by Clutch0z24 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:44 pm

bobbyp3588 wrote:
Clutch0z24 wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:The team is too good to tank. We may be battling for a play-in if healthy

How are we good? After OG/Siakam got traded we are a bottom feeder team....We may not be the worst team but we are not winning 30 games without adding significant depth and talent...The roster is bare bones....We would be top 5-8 in the draft and if Masai wants to make a real shot at number 1 maybe some random injuries pop up...

Dude…what? 30 wins? Wrong. Without adding a thing, if healthy, we’re looking at the play-in.

Did you see our nightly line-ups the last 30 games of the year? That was bare bones. And that’s the kind of roster it’s going to take to land a Cooper Flagg.

If Scottie, RJ and IQ are all playing 35+ mpg, we have absolutely no chance of bottoming out.

GIVE. YO. HEAD. A. SHAKE.

I think you guys are overrating BBQ ....I think they all good players yes but they are not going to win you 30 games.....With the depth the roster has....No chance.... We have little to no depth on the roster.....In todays NBA most teams have about 9 all around solid role players-Bench....The really good teams have 6 man of the year type players on the bench...

When Scottie/IQ/Barrett go to the bench they have Bruce Brown/GTJR/McDaniels subbing in for them....I also suspect Jakob/Bruce Brown to be traded at some point for young/draft picks in the offseason as well....

To ask 3 guys to carry a team with very little depth to win 30-35 games is actually insane....The reason we even got to 25 wins last year was because we had Schroder/Siakam/OG...All vets who played in the NBA for a while now....

Once we made them trades we were as bad as the Pistons/Hornets/Spurs....So yes i honestly believe we will be just as bad if not worse next year cause we have no way to really improve the roster much and the depth will be just as bad next year as it was this year...

Even if we try to win we wont....So yes Flagg/Bailey is very much in play for us...
Clutch0z24
General Manager

Post#207 » by Clutch0z24 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:50 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
dagger wrote:

We can all beg for the team to be good and pray for them to be good....But with very minimal ways of improving the roster cause we lack talent/Depth/trade assets atm we will be looking at a sim roster next year as we had for the last half of the year....That roster sorry isnt winning much....And the coach we have isn't a winning coach....We will be a bad team next year whether we like it or not.

We will be in the mix in the top 8 draft picks for next year so as long as we are in that range for the lottery Flagg/Bailey are both in play as we could win the lottery...If not we would still get a very good player because the draft is good.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#208 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon May 13, 2024 5:54 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
dagger wrote:

We can all beg for the team to be good and pray for them to be good....But with very minimal ways of improving the roster cause we lack talent/Depth/trade assets atm we will be looking at a sim roster next year as we had for the last half of the year....That roster sorry isnt winning much....And the coach we have isn't a winning coach....We will be a bad team next year whether we like it or not.

It isn't like last year, we've got assets and cap space.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#209 » by PushDaRock » Mon May 13, 2024 5:55 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
dagger wrote:

We will be in the mix in the top 8 draft picks for next year so as long as we are in that range for the lottery Flagg/Bailey are both in play as we could win the lottery...If not we would still get a very good player because the draft is good.

A bad team is different than an actual tank of gunning for the worst record in the league to lock in a top 5 pick.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#210 » by PushDaRock » Mon May 13, 2024 5:57 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
dagger wrote:

I would if they loaded the roster with more young prospects. I'm not talking about G league signings.

Are you getting rid of Scottie, RJ and IQ?
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#211 » by ItsDanger » Mon May 13, 2024 5:58 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

You don't have to. Rookies make tons of mistakes.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Clutch0z24
General Manager

Post#212 » by Clutch0z24 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:59 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Nobody is opposed to getting more high end talent through the draft. We are discussing tanking though and when I think of a tanking, it's putting out dumpster fire rosters like we did the last 20 games of the season but for the entire year. What's the realistic path to doing that for the entire season while having Scottie, RJ and IQ on the roster?

They would have to trade Poeltl.

-start Olynyk, defense becomes terrible

-stay on development path with minutes for Dick, Agbaji, #19, #31

IQ/RJ/Barnes aren’t good enough to carry the team above. I’m not even sure IQ or Barrett ever top out above good role player. There’s a good chance Barnes tops out at 2nd option level.

What probably should be done: see how Barnes/IQ/Barrett look for the first 20 games. If 2 of them have made a leap then stay the course. If it looks like they’ve improved (but not enough to carry this team) then pull the plug early (trade Poeltl, the only thing holding the defense together) and flip to tank mode.

Give Barnes and IQ a chance to prove themselves early in the season but pull the rip cord if it’s not going well.

Yup. Anyone who says we need to add Flagg to IQ/Barnes/RJ/Dick are ignoring if we are bad enough to add Flagg to that core, then our current core is not good enough anyways and we will need a hell of a lot more.

Teams are built a certain way for success....Just because IQ/Barnes/RJ/Dick can't carry a team that lacks proper depth/Coaching/all around talent doesn't mean they are bad players....They are all young still with Quickley being the oldest at 24....Young players who are still getting their feet wet in the NBA don't win right away especially if they don't have the things around them to succeed...

Adding a Flagg/Bailey or another top prospect in the up coming draft would change the direction of the team completely all it takes is one player to change a franchise around and we seen it with many teams in the past...

We won't be good next year and it won't be the fault of BBQ/Dick it is because the depth/coaching IMO and lack of talent overall...
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#213 » by PushDaRock » Mon May 13, 2024 6:03 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:I would if they loaded the roster with more young prospects. I'm not talking about G league signings.

You don't have to. Rookies make tons of mistakes.

You think Scottie, RJ and IQ all playing up to expectations and healthy surrounded by a bunch of rookies is going to have us at 20 wins?
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#214 » by ItsDanger » Mon May 13, 2024 6:03 pm

You need another player that can create his own shot in the half court. The other aspects tend to fall into place more easily once you've acquired that.
Clutch0z24
General Manager

Post#215 » by Clutch0z24 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:06 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Clutch0z24 wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

What assets are we talking about here? GTJR?, Poeltl?, Brown? These guys are not netting us anything back that is going to help now...If anything we are going to trade them ffor more young players (Who are not ready now to contribute to winning) and draft picks....With cap space we are not signing some free agent thats going to change anything here....Maybe a Schroder type signing....But thats not going to do anything to help us go to the playoffs....We are not signing anyone in free agency of significant....We never have even when we were a winning team with DD/Lowry we made very minimal Free agent signings...

We always had success in the draft and thats what kept us afloat ....Drafting Powell/OG/Siakam/FVV Using the players we drafted in trades like JV/Wright/Ross/DD/Poeltl to make trades for Superstars...

We never had success in free agency ever...So to rely on that now would be foolish
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,466

Post#216 » by KrazyP » Mon May 13, 2024 6:07 pm

Shakril wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:The Raptors were with Fred, Pascal and OG and were a lottery team but somehow without them, we are too good to tank?

Thunder with Shai tanked but somehow Raptors are too good to do it.

Wolves, Thunder, Celtics, Mavs are minus the Nuggets who are obviously a historical outlier the contenders in the NBA. All come from lottery picks and tanking.

We aren't even close.

Wolves needed 2 decades of beeing terrible. Only a good example for bad managment, but not a good one for tanking.

Celtics had one "bad" season in the last 10 years and that was 2013/14 with a 25-59 record, which is still higher than a tanking team would have. Every other year they were in the Playoffs. I dont see where the Celtics have tanked to become good.

Mavs worst season in recent years was 2017/2018; 24-58 and thats not even bad for a "tanking" team. Before and after they were always above 30 Wins. That is not tanking thats playing hard, despite beeing bad.

Nuggets isnt an outlier, its how championship teams are built. They give their young core time to develop and over time it pays off.
But they dont lose just to have a better pick.

And regarding the Thunder, there seems to be a big misconception about.
After the George Paul, Westbrook, Carmleo Fiasko they were forced to make a firesale as long as their assetts were worth something. Of course after that this team then was terrible, but it didnt cheat the game by losing on purpose - they competed.

Their record since then was:

2021: 22 - 50
2022: 24 - 48
2023: 40 - 42
2024: 57 - 25

Most notably, they improved from year to year.

The first two years they simply were a bad team, but they developed their players by playing hard.
Most of their assetts came also through trading - not through tanking.
Of course beeing cautions with Shai was the right choice, but it was not about losing them games. It was about giving shai the time he needed to be healthy again and it paid off.

OKC didnt care if their record was 10-72 or 30-52, they wanted to develop their players. And thats how you do it.

Essentially it took them 2 years to be in the mix again.

To sum it up:

All your examples for tanking are false. If you want an example for tanking: Look at what the Pistons are doing or 76ers have done. Essentially they failed to develop their Players or/and to build around their talent. Continuity comes into mind.

Embid is everything thats left of the 76ers Tank years and the best they managed was the 2nd round in the Playoffs.
After beeing terrible so many years, you would think they achieve more than that.
OKC is about to eclipse them in their first try.

Back to the Raptors comparsion to OKC:

Raptors are in a different spot than OKC was then. Raptors have 4 young players (Dick, Barnes, Quickley, RJ) that they can build with, they have 1 veteran (Poeltl) on the roster who is young enough and can be part of that team in the future. The rest will be replaced if the opportunity arises. Essentially you already have 5 players for the rotation.

If Barnes is our Shai, than you already have what you want and just need to develop and let them compete. If you dont think Barnes is it, then explore all options to aquire the talent and/or entice a starplayer by beeing a up and coming team, which means - compete.

Tanking only ruins the development of the players and annoys them, which leads them to leave a team.
And after all that you still can strike out on good talent and stand there with empty hands.

I do agree that one of the primary reasons why most tanking teams fail is because a prolonged losing environment combined with unbalanced roster construction makes for a horrible environment for player development. Thats why I have never been a fan of the Tank World Order nuclear bomb style tank job where you essentially start with nothing and just hope for the best over the course of multiple 20-win seasons.

That said, the Raps arent in this type of situation. The core of the team (Barnes-RJ-Quickley) all spent the early part of their careers in somewhat competitive environments and will be with the team for at least the next 3 years given their contract situations. A short term tank isnt going to hurt them.

Also, given the current roster construction and asset base, the Raps are likely going to be a bottom 10 team anyways.....the current roster is a fringe play-in team at best with limited avenues to actually add assets. To me, there would be nothing wrong with spending 2/3 of season trying to "compete" and then shifting gears to a tank in the last 1/3 and winding up with lottery odds in the 6-8 range.

That actually would be an ideal situation. BBQ core + cost controlled -- 2025 lotto pick (possible future star), Dick and whoever they draft this year is a promising situation on all fronts. For the 25/26 season, you'd be in a position to also turn cap fodder and future picks into an additional impact player via trade.

If the team busts out of the gates this season on fire and looks like a competitive 50-win team, I'd be willing to change my stance but I just dont see that realistically happenning.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#217 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon May 13, 2024 6:14 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:
Clutch0z24 wrote:

What assets are we talking about here? GTJR?, Poeltl?, Brown? These guys are not netting us anything back that is going to help now...If anything we are going to trade them ffor more young players (Who are not ready now to contribute to winning) and draft picks....With cap space we are not signing some free agent thats going to change anything here....Maybe a Schroder type signing....But thats not going to do anything to help us go to the playoffs....We are not signing anyone in free agency of significant....We never have even when we were a winning team with DD/Lowry we made very minimal Free agent signings...

We always had success in the draft and thats what kept us afloat ....Drafting Powell/OG/Siakam/FVV Using the players we drafted in trades like JV/Wright/Ross/DD/Poeltl to make trades for Superstars...

We never had success in free agency ever...So to rely on that now would be foolish

Use the cap space to go after one big name, then the pick to get another. Then hope the right guy is there at 19.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,742

Post#218 » by Ell Curry » Mon May 13, 2024 6:16 pm

I think we'll do very little, draft a project big and end up with around the 8th-10th pick and then draft an SG.

Then in summer of 2025 (or in-season/deadline), make a move:

Maybe keep Bruce Brown and trade him for someone who gets a 2 year deal this summer (or extend him for a year) so we have a contract to trade in the 2025 summer along with Barnes max (I think like 42M to start or 6-7M more if he makes an all-nba team?), Quickley 30M or so, Barrett at 27, Olynyk at 13, we should be able to squeeze in one big salary, say at small forward, for a team of say:

Poeltl-Olynyk-Missi - 36M
Barnes-(30MF) - 42M
30MF -RJ - 60M
2025-Dick - 11M
IQ-#31 - 34M

which puts us at 174M which is about 14M short of the tax with 10 guys signed and you can fill out the rest of the roster with say Agbaji at 7M and 3 minimum guys.

So yeah, maybe we do actually end up taking on Wiggins if we can get a pick swap out of it.
Where's the D?
Clutch0z24
General Manager

Post#219 » by Clutch0z24 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:20 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:It isn't like last year, we've got assets and cap space.

Use the cap space to go after one big name, then the pick to get another. Then hope the right guy is there at 19.

We are not signing a big name...Here are the names...

LeBron James
Paul George
James Harden
Klay Thompson
DeRozan (Lol)
Siakam(Lol)
OG(Lol)

We are not signing any of them in free agency.....We just traded our pick for Poeltlt which look how that turned out for us this year...We just lost our pick because of that mistake and you think using picks as assets again is a smart move? Lol...

At 19/31 in a weak draft class to get anything better then even Dick was this year would be a hard thing to do....
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Post#220 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 6:21 pm

We have no choice but to tank. The team is already young and bad, very few vets remaining. I think we'll be bad without really trying to tank. Maybe we sit Scottie or Poeltl later in the season to help the chances a bit more but i don't think we do anything else very drastic.

Return to Toronto Raptors