ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Approval Rating

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Masai Approval Rating

A
11%
B
23%
C
30%
D
24%
F
11%
Just want to see results
2%

Total votes: 190

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Re: Masai Approval Rating 

Post#21 » by DelAbbot » Mon May 13, 2024 7:11 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I'm happy with all the trades he made last year, as well as the Dick draft selection.

Not gonna continue bashing him for a mistake he made, and owned up to already, two seasons ago (i.e., Poeltl trade).

Grade: A

This is a level of homerism I have never seen before

I'm just grading him based on the moves he's made over the past year.

OG trade - A+
Siakam trade - B
Ochai/Olynyk trade - A-
Dick Selection - A

So yeah, I'm content with the A grade I've assigned him.

That's only if you completely erase all Masai's missteps before 2023/2024 season like not trading Siakam much earlier thaaan with 4 months left on his contract.
TheAlchemist23
Rookie
And1: 1,578

Post#22 » by TheAlchemist23 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:14 pm

D

Terrible since 2020-21.

-Letting Serge and Marc walk in the same offseason

-Terrible Thad Young trade

-Not trading FVV during the trade deadline, only to walk for nothing

-Terrible Jakob Poeltl trade

-Not trading Pascal during the summer

-Not trading Bruce Brown
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,049

Post#23 » by kalel123 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:21 pm

Changed direction at least a year too late. We do have a cleaner slate than before but there's a relatively short runway to do something before we have to reset again because he wasted couple of years trying to cling onto past glory. And we paid dearly for it with Poeltl trade, failure to trade VanVleet, and getting next to nothing from Siakam trade. Most of damage is already made that will take a long time to recover from.

So would give him F until he shows he's finally done sleeping at the wheel, makes moves, and get results. Will be hard. #19 pick in this draft is underwhelming at best. FA's probably dead end yet again. Now have to start locking Barnes to rich extension that eats even more into the cap. Kinda need to hit a home run here with #19 but could also be a case that you can't pick 'em if no one's there. The team is in no man's land and will require small miracle to move forward in one direction or other. Otherwise, just have to keep chuggin' at it and I wouldn't be surprised if we have to reset again in 2-3 years possibly with different management at the helm at that point.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Post#24 » by Thaddy » Mon May 13, 2024 7:38 pm

If he trades Poeltl for a good package (needs to be the best trade out of the OG and Siakam deals) and rebuilds using the draft next season I'd give him an A+.

FA / Olynyk
Barnes / 31st
2025 1st / 31st
Barrett / Dick
Quickely /19th

The Poeltl trade needs to be 2-3 picks and a bad contract. A tank commander like Vucevic wouldn't be bad either.

If we can keep Poeltl and be a play in team next season it would be a great way to be in treadmill territory.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#25 » by Tofubeque » Mon May 13, 2024 7:39 pm

Houston, Detroit, Memphis all in rumors shopping their lottery picks in this draft, probably more to come. Shame on Masai for trading ours away already.
props Turbozone
will
RealGM
And1: 49,985
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#26 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 7:43 pm

Thaddy wrote:If he trades Poeltl for a good package (needs to be the best trade out of the OG and Siakam deals) and rebuilds using the draft next season I'd give him an A+.

FA / Olynyk
Barnes / 31st
2025 1st / 31st
Barrett / Dick
Quickely /19th

The Poeltl trade needs to be 2-3 picks and a bad contract. A tank commander like Vucevic wouldn't be bad either.

If we can keep Poeltl and be a play in team next season it would be a great way to be in treadmill territory.

Brother, you are asking Masai to turn into Harry Potter. How the hell is he swinging a deal with Yakub for 2-3 picks and a bad contract that is going to top the ADOBE deal?

Edit: if those 2-3 picks involve second rounders, yeah.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,957

Post#27 » by ForeverTFC » Mon May 13, 2024 7:47 pm

Tofubeque wrote:Houston, Detroit, Memphis all in rumors shopping their lottery picks in this draft, probably more to come. Shame on Masai for trading ours away already.

/ green font?
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Post#28 » by Thaddy » Mon May 13, 2024 7:48 pm

will wrote:
Thaddy wrote:If he trades Poeltl for a good package (needs to be the best trade out of the OG and Siakam deals) and rebuilds using the draft next season I'd give him an A+.

FA / Olynyk
Barnes / 31st
2025 1st / 31st
Barrett / Dick
Quickely /19th

Brother, you are asking Masai to turn into Harry Potter. How the hell is he swinging a deal with Yakub for 2-3 picks and a bad contract that is going to top the ADOBE deal?

Edit: if those 2-3 picks involve second rounders, yeah.

I'd say Poeltl is worth a lottery pick in this draft. If take on a bad deal that would be worth another pick or two.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,059

Post#29 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:49 pm

C+/B-. I won't forget what happened in his last "era" but this last few years he hasn't delivered. Liked the OG trade, didn't like the Pascal one.

Curious what he does now with the 19th pick, 31st pick, how Gradey develops and see if what his next strategy is.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#30 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:50 pm

ItsDanger wrote:F. Team is on a direct path to 7/11 purgatory. Masai has to right the ship quickly and be aggressive in adding young assets

7/11 purgatory is exactly how GS built their title contender. The 'tanking strategy' you've long lauded and used as an example as they way we should have been rebuilding.

Hell, Curry was 7 and Klay was 11.

You can never keep your arguments straight. :lol:
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#31 » by JShuttlesworth » Mon May 13, 2024 7:55 pm

I voted D.....For dingus

I'm ready to move forward now though, now that the Jakob trade is behind us. We have Barnes, we have Gradey, we have Quick and Barrett. Hopefully we can add a quality lotto player in 2025

I can only hope he doesn't get another stupid idea to trade one of our 1sts again
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,427

Post#32 » by Tor_Raps » Mon May 13, 2024 7:55 pm

Indeed wrote:What does the lottery has to do with FO rating?
Shouldn't it be based on draft record, trades, asset management, etc.?

Obviously... this thread is just taking place after the draft lottery but you're judging him for all the things you said. Thought that would be implied lol.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,427

Post#33 » by Tor_Raps » Mon May 13, 2024 7:56 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:Masai has been complacent the past 2 seasons. He didn't properly manage the roster, specifically by failing to add complementary pieces to the bench, ie shooting.

The Dick pick is looking better & better, the OG trade was better then expected, however the Siakam deal was underwhelming.

When Masai is focused and proactive, I'm not sure there's a better GM in the league. I think he realizes that he hasn't been as sharp/hungry the past couple seasons as he was previously, and I believe we'll see the old Masai going forward.

That's exactly my stance too. Hope he figures his crap out and turns this franchise around asap.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,221

Post#34 » by C Court » Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

Up until 2020, Masai deserved an A+.

Since then he earned a C+.

Time for the pre-2021 Masai to take charge.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,833

Post#35 » by ash_k » Mon May 13, 2024 7:58 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:I'm happy with all the trades he made last year, as well as the Dick draft selection.

Not gonna continue bashing him for a mistake he made, and owned up to already, two seasons ago (i.e., Poeltl trade).

Plus nobody in their right mind could have imagined us being in the lottery starting the season ..teams with 2 All-Stars and DPOY type player just don't perform the way were in the first 3 months of the season..just dont...more so with the last 2 seasons as references and then the impact of both players on their new teams..
Masai has only made one mistake which has turned into positive by getting us IQ and RJ; hiring Darko.
Trading for Jak was the right move to do! (I would have preferred Turner, like Bob&Masai)
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,356

Post#36 » by YogurtProducer » Mon May 13, 2024 7:59 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:F. Team is on a direct path to 7/11 purgatory. Masai has to right the ship quickly and be aggressive in adding young assets

7/11 purgatory is exactly how GS built their title contender. The 'tanking strategy' you've long lauded and used as an example as they way we should have been rebuilding.

Hell, Curry was 7 and Klay was 11.

You can never keep your arguments straight. :lol:

In his defence, I think he meants 7th-11th in the east. Don't blame you for not giving him the benefit of the doubt however, he has lost that :lol:

Either way - anyone who thinks tanking is the only way to build a team has not been paying attention to how the NBA operates. Tanking is the best way to get top end talent - but tanking is also the fastest way to put your team in purgatory. The teams who are majorly successful are always those that either A) get FA signings or B) hit big on mid round 1sts or early 2nds.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#37 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:00 pm

ash_k wrote:

Plus nobody in their right mind could have imagined us being in the lottery starting the season ..teams with 2 All-Stars and DPOY type player just don't perform the way were in the first 3 months of the season..just dont...more so with the last 2 seasons as references and then the impact of both players on their new teams..
Masai has only made one mistake which has turned into positive by getting us IQ and RJ; hiring Darko.
Trading for Jak was the right move to do! (I would have preferred Turner, like Bob&Masai)

While even I thought we'd be a playoff team. I still think it was just... dumb to not lottery protect the pick, at least for a couple of years. Felt like we negotiated against ourselves in that Poeltl deal... I know the Celtics were in on it, but I think a lottery protected 1st from us still would have worked.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,356

Post#38 » by YogurtProducer » Mon May 13, 2024 8:01 pm

C Court wrote:Up until 2020, Masai deserved an A+.

Since then he earned a C+.

Time for the pre-2021 Masai to take charge.

Seems pretty accurate, and why I would go with a "B"
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,893

Post#39 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon May 13, 2024 8:01 pm

I gave him a B.

But I also sent an email home to Mom about the declining performance and warning the next report card is going to be much lower without significant improvement in results.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Post#40 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 8:01 pm

C
Positives - salary cap is flexible, got good return for OG, have picks to work with, solid foundation with Scottie, finally chose a direction for the team
Negatives - not proactive, handedly lost the Siakam trade, everyone outside of Scottie (and Poeltl i guess) is a question mark

Return to Toronto Raptors