ImageImageImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon says Scottie Barnes when asked about "guy miscast in role as star who might excel as the ultimate glue guy"

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

will
RealGM
And1: 50,030
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Re: Aaron Gordon says Scottie Barnes when asked about "guy miscast in role as star who might excel as the ultimate glue 

Post#61 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 6:00 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:I hope Scottie just takes the diss and throws another motivation log on the fire.

It should be burning really bright and hot by now.

What if he has a gas fireplace, though?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,016

Re: Aaron Gordon says Scottie Barnes when asked about "guy miscast in role as star who might excel as the ultimate glue 

Post#62 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu May 16, 2024 6:03 pm

will wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:I hope Scottie just takes the diss and throws another motivation log on the fire.

It should be burning really bright and hot by now.

What if he has a gas fireplace, though?

In that case, we’re doomed. Move the team to Seattle.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,183

Post#64 » by ontnut » Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

If you look at it from AG's perspective, Jokic is the star of his team. Scottie is not on Jokic's level and probably won't be. So in that sense, yeah, Scottie is miscast as a star/MVP candidate/#1 option on a contender.

And keep in mind, he didn't just say "glue guy" he said "ULTIMATE glue guy". I don't think he's wrong. Scottie would be possibly the best glue guy in the last 30 years as a #3 option. He could have an effect similar to a bigger Kyle Lowry during our chip run. He's probably already better than Siakam was during our run, and his ceiling is certainly starting at a "better Siakam", so he's at least going to be a #2/3 on a contender.

So AG isn't wrong. Don't take it the wrong way. I think it's a positive in fact, what AG said.

That being said, Scottie isn't the "next AG". He's already better than AG. Scottie is easily a top 10 player under 25. With the right development, he could easily ascend to multiple all-NBA team levels.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,798

Post#65 » by C_Money » Thu May 16, 2024 6:16 pm

So if Scottie isn’t the #1 guy and we’re not interested in tanking for high draft picks, how are we supposed to become contenders?
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,090

Post#66 » by Clutch0z24 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:19 pm

Hes not wrong....Scottie has the potential to break out of just being a glue guy but as of today he is a player who would be a good 2nd-3rd option....But potential and reality are two different things...

That is why we need to play the draft for a at least next year and hope to add a legit star...
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,533
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#67 » by SharoneWright » Thu May 16, 2024 6:20 pm

Aaron Gordon knows our players' names!
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,798

Post#68 » by C_Money » Thu May 16, 2024 6:30 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:
disoblige wrote:I think Barnes has the work ethic and desire to become a star/superstar. Bosh, Demar, TMac and Lowry took many years to become a star.

Bosh, DeMar and Lowry were never good enough to be the best player on a championship team. Imo Scottie is in that bracket.

We need someone better than him and we need them through the draft. A tank next season is CRITICAL or this team is going nowhere.

Fully agree but I doubt Masai is going to go that route.
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#69 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 6:38 pm

C_Money wrote:So if Scottie isn’t the #1 guy and we’re not interested in tanking for high draft picks, how are we supposed to become contenders?

We are supposed to just believe in Masai and not question him on anything. Vibes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,690

Post#70 » by Harry Palmer » Thu May 16, 2024 6:42 pm

This is basically the only important question about the roster as is, imo. (Everyone else is role player to average starter at best imo) And while I’m not anything like certain, if forced to bet right now I’d probably have to bet high level Robin over Batman.

You don’t necessarily have to be a 27+ ppg scorer to be a franchise player, but you do need to have some go-to move(s) to just get a bucket when the team needs it and I haven’t seen anything like that from Scottie. He’s a good (but kinda weird) athlete, but one thing he lacks is suddenness and imo that’s probably what hinders him with his offensive arsenal. If you need someone else to create big buckets (and you’re not an otherworldly defensive 5) you can’t really be The Man.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Grew
Rookie
And1: 1,788

Post#71 » by Grew » Thu May 16, 2024 6:42 pm

Aaron gordon is being asked this question because he was the role player thrust into a larger role. He sees Scotties skillset and thinks he's similar but he's conflating his teams success with that skillset and thinks he's on scotties level. It took Gordon playing with Jokic for years to read the game half as well as Scottie does naturally. Gordon is playing himself here, and we could say this about most of the guys drafted in the last 3 years in big roles on their teams. Fact is Scottie has the potential to be more and Gordon did not.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,639

Post#72 » by mtcan » Thu May 16, 2024 6:45 pm

I wonder how much Scottie wants to be "the guy" or is happy to just take a step back and facilitate for others.

It is an attitude or personality thing moreso than skill.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,780

Post#73 » by Tor_Raps » Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 pm

mtcan wrote:I wonder how much Scottie wants to be "the guy" or is happy to just take a step back and facilitate for others.

It's definitely a skill issue as well. His perimeter shot/ball handling/first step/post moves are severely lacking.

He won't need to be great at all those things but he will definitely need to become great at a few of those areas.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 855

Post#74 » by disoblige » Thu May 16, 2024 6:51 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:
disoblige wrote:I think Barnes has the work ethic and desire to become a star/superstar. Bosh, Demar, TMac and Lowry took many years to become a star.

Bosh, DeMar and Lowry were never good enough to be the best player on a championship team. Imo Scottie is in that bracket.

We need someone better than him and we need them through the draft. A tank next season is CRITICAL or this team is going nowhere.

In general, a star is often define being an all-star or being paid max or top 25 players. I never said they were superstars(top 10), which can carry a team to a championship. Masai realized Demar wasnt that and trade for Kawhi. Nobody thought Kawhi/Jokic/Giannis were going to become superstars, hence they were picked late in the draft and took many years to get there. I am not saying Barnes is goiing to be a superstar, but he has the passion and work ethic to get there. He actually plays a lot of basketball in the off-season.

So people wont get the wrong idea, I was on tank for Wemby and tank 2025 bandwagon for a star/superstar.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,639

Post#75 » by mtcan » Thu May 16, 2024 7:01 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
mtcan wrote:I wonder how much Scottie wants to be "the guy" or is happy to just take a step back and facilitate for others.

It's definitely a skill issue as well. His perimeter shot/ball handling/first step/post moves are severely lacking.

He won't need to be great at all those things but he will definitely need to become great at a few of those areas.

The case study here is Minnesota.

For years they thought Wiggins and KAT were the guys who would take the step to superstardom...and neither of them ultimately were despite their natural skills and physical gifts. What makes Ant "the guy" in Minnesota?

His attitude.

You can argue that Wiggins is as talented as Ant or that KAT is more skilled being a versatile 7 footer who can play inside and shoot as well as he can. It's mental. Ant has the belief and desire to kill other teams.

Let's not turn this into an Aaron Gordon bashing thread.
will
RealGM

Post#76 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 7:01 pm

Grew wrote:Aaron gordon is being asked this question because he was the role player thrust into a larger role. He sees Scotties skillset and thinks he's similar but he's conflating his teams success with that skillset and thinks he's on scotties level. It took Gordon playing with Jokic for years to read the game half as well as Scottie does naturally. Gordon is playing himself here, and we could say this about most of the guys drafted in the last 3 years in big roles on their teams. Fact is Scottie has the potential to be more and Gordon did not.

Realistically, Scottish has done more being thrust into a #1 role than what Aaron did in ORL.
will
RealGM

Post#77 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 7:02 pm

disoblige wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:

In general, a star is often define being an all-star or being paid max or top 25 players. I never said they were superstars(top 10), which can carry a team to a championship. Masai realized Demar wasnt that and trade for Kawhi. Nobody thought Kawhi/Jokic/Giannis were going to become a superstar, hence they were picked late in the draft and took many years to get there. I am not saying Barnes is goiing to be a superstar, but he has the passion and work ethic to get there. He actually plays a lot of basketball in the off-season.

So people wont get the wrong idea, I was on tank for Wemby and tank 2025 bandwagon for a star/superstar.

God forbid the Raptors tank :lol: :lol:

I don't want to get started.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,933

Post#78 » by Senbonzakura » Thu May 16, 2024 7:04 pm

will wrote:
Grew wrote:Aaron gordon is being asked this question because he was the role player thrust into a larger role. He sees Scotties skillset and thinks he's similar but he's conflating his teams success with that skillset and thinks he's on scotties level. It took Gordon playing with Jokic for years to read the game half as well as Scottie does naturally. Gordon is playing himself here, and we could say this about most of the guys drafted in the last 3 years in big roles on their teams. Fact is Scottie has the potential to be more and Gordon did not.

Realistically, Scottish has done more being thrust into a #1 role than what Aaron did in ORL.

Other than assists, their per 100 possessions numbers at age 22 are quite similar.
WetLikeWater
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#79 » by WetLikeWater » Thu May 16, 2024 7:06 pm

i see RJ more of our number 1 bucket getter than i do with scottie
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,780

Post#80 » by Tor_Raps » Thu May 16, 2024 7:06 pm

mtcan wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

The case study here is Minnesota.

For years they thought Wiggins and KAT were the guys who would take the step to superstardom...and neither of them ultimately were despite their natural skills and physical gifts. What makes Ant "the guy" in Minnesota?

His attitude.

You can argue that Wiggins is as talented as Ant or that KAT is more skilled being a versatile 7 footer who can play inside and shoot as well as he can. It's mental. Ant has the belief and desire to kill other teams.

Let's not turn this into an Aaron Gordon bashing thread.

Definitely but you also need the skill to back that up because you can also become a Draymond Green too lol. The only part of Barnes game that I feel he can be dominant with but he doesn't seem to have the correct attitude on is his ability to bully players around the rim.

If he had the Giannis mentality like you said, I do believe he can show signs of being unstoppable. I still remember that dunk he had against the Spurs/Sochan where he put him in the rim... he had the ability to do that more but is too damn passive.

Return to Toronto Raptors