ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

TorontoBarneys
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,325

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#401 » by TorontoBarneys » Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm

How high are people on Garland these days? I actually feel he and IQ may be comparable in terms of impact.

Read on Twitter
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,330

Post#402 » by MiamiSPX » Thu May 16, 2024 2:16 pm

The speculation is this is to force a Mitchell trade to the Lakers. How they could pull that off is anyone's guess but Donovan not extending in CLE is the league's worst kept secret. He was also spotted having dinner with LeBron the other night.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,481

Post#403 » by Asif16 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:31 pm

Immanuel Quickley
RJ Barrett
Donovan Mitchell
Scottie Barnes
Jakob Poetl

Get it done Masai
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,321

Post#404 » by ciueli » Thu May 16, 2024 2:38 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:How high are people on Garland these days? I actually feel he and IQ may be comparable in terms of impact.

Read on Twitter

It's interesting, his numbers this last season are incredibly close to IQ's, they look like very similar players and not even a year difference in age. IQ doesn't have the history Garland does as an All-Star level player, but Garland's is on a max contract.

It really comes down to what IQ is going to get paid this offseason and whether Garland can get back to the All-Star level play he showed in 2021-22. Likely we're better off with IQ due to a cheaper contract, that will give us more financial flexibility to upgrade other roster spots.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,919

Post#405 » by Thaddy » Thu May 16, 2024 3:58 pm

OKC would have a lot of trouble against Jokic. Chet isn't built like a C either, I would guess he's their PF long term. What about a Poeltl trade that would send him there for picks? They have enough cap room to fully absorb Poeltl's contract and we would get 2 (?) mid to late first rounders?
KillaSham23
Junior
And1: 256

Post#406 » by KillaSham23 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:24 pm

Yak to okc or Memphis makes a lot of sense.

Also brown to Miami for pick 15 + Duncan Robinson? Seems like a win for both teams
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,405

Post#407 » by YogurtProducer » Thu May 16, 2024 5:46 pm

KillaSham23 wrote:Yak to okc or Memphis makes a lot of sense.

Also brown to Miami for pick 15 + Duncan Robinson? Seems like a win for both teams

I would laugh real hard if we ended up with a similar pick to what we gave to SA.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,150

Post#408 » by ontnut » Thu May 16, 2024 5:51 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:The speculation is this is to force a Mitchell trade to the Lakers. How they could pull that off is anyone's guess but Donovan not extending in CLE is the league's worst kept secret. He was also spotted having dinner with LeBron the other night.

I think Mitchell has been the most overrated "superstar" of the past 10 years. He's a clear #2, but plays/acts like a #1. It's a title I think Booker is trying really hard to achieve as well.

I don't think Mitchell (or Book for that matter) makes his teammates better. He puts up nice numbers and can be a clutch player, but somehow that doesn't translate to team success and making the team greater than the sum of its parts.

Insofar as this is true, I think LAL would be a good landing spot for him, as Lebron would handle that "floor raising" attribute of the team, and Mitchell can just be a scorer. Their defense would continue to be bad though.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#409 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu May 16, 2024 6:08 pm

I had not heard Brown to Miami before. That’s interesting

Because Miami is a tax team, they’d be better served with Toronto declining Brown option, then taking Robinson into cap space, and then Miami signs Brown to a multi year MLE contract.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,553

Post#410 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:24 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:Something like

Ingram to Atl
Brown + Trae to No
Hunter + pick to Toronto.

NO doesn't have the salaries to do 1 for 1 for Ingram + Trae. They do have some smaller salaries they could add on but then Ingram + filler for Trae might not be too appealing + Atl will be looking to shed salary with an upcoming Ingram extension

Definitely think there's a deal to be had between these three teams but I'm not sure which Brown you're talking about.

It can't be Bruce Brown, since that is far too much salary for the Pels.

Trading Trae is going to be hard because he's owed so much money, much less to the Pels who are already running into tax problems of their own. If the Hawks are willing to move on from Murray, a Murray-Ingram swap makes sense. Then we can come in and offer Brown for Hunter + SAC 2025 1st so the Hawks get salary relief to re-up Ingram. I'd also be interested in a Trent for Capela S&T if the Hawks go with Sarr first overall.

Trae/Trent/Ingram/Johnson/Sarr is a pretty nice team, with Bogs, Okongwu, Bey and their young guys off the bench.
Pels are Murray/McCollum/Murphy/Zion/MLE C
Raps are Quickley/Barrett/Hunter/Barnes/Capela. We're free to move Poeltl now and have an extra pick in 2025.
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 564

Post#411 » by islandboy53 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:06 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

I would laugh real hard if we ended up with a similar pick to what we gave to SA.

Miami is an apron team and, as a result, are unable to take back more salary than they send out in a trade.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,405

Post#412 » by YogurtProducer » Thu May 16, 2024 7:10 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Miami is an apron team and, as a result, are unable to take back more salary than they send out in a trade.

If they picked for us at 15 and traded after, I think they could no? either way, Robinson is only 3.6M less, they can likely find a way to bridge that gap.

I dont think Brown is better than Robinson enough to justify giving up #15 anyway.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 564

Post#413 » by islandboy53 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:14 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:

Because Miami is a tax team, they’d be better served with Toronto declining Brown option, then taking Robinson into cap space, and then Miami signs Brown to a multi year MLE contract.

Sending Robinson into cap space would get Miami about $9 million under the 1st apron. That's probably not enough to get Brown in this scenario, but, even if it was, Miami would be hard capped at the apron.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,918

Post#414 » by agkagk » Thu May 16, 2024 7:14 pm

ontnut wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:The speculation is this is to force a Mitchell trade to the Lakers. How they could pull that off is anyone's guess but Donovan not extending in CLE is the league's worst kept secret. He was also spotted having dinner with LeBron the other night.

I think Mitchell has been the most overrated "superstar" of the past 10 years. He's a clear #2, but plays/acts like a #1. It's a title I think Booker is trying really hard to achieve as well.

I don't think Mitchell (or Book for that matter) makes his teammates better. He puts up nice numbers and can be a clutch player, but somehow that doesn't translate to team success and making the team greater than the sum of its parts.

Insofar as this is true, I think LAL would be a good landing spot for him, as Lebron would handle that "floor raising" attribute of the team, and Mitchell can just be a scorer. Their defense would continue to be bad though.

Totally agree

Great call on booker

I actually think Garland seems like the better lead guard compared to mitchell.

He plays more of a winning style.

Like, mitchell needs more help to be successful
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#415 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu May 16, 2024 7:57 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Sending Robinson into cap space would get Miami about $9 million under the 1st apron. That's probably not enough to get Brown in this scenario, but, even if it was, Miami would be hard capped at the apron.

True.

Caleb Martin likely opts out, so that is another $7m.

At 29 years he’s looking for his bag and I’d be surprised if it comes from Miami.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 547

Post#416 » by CazOnReal » Thu May 16, 2024 10:29 pm

RaptorLakerJay wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

We need this for playoff time. He'd be a great vet.

This is why i'm of the mind the Warriors won't trade Wiggins. His value is at an all-time low (for his Warriors tenure) and if the Dubs want to make a "one last try" run, Wiggins defense is sorely needed assuming he's back to 100%. Moving CP3 and Moody makes more sense since Chris' health has been a huge issue and Kerr seemingly hates Moses.
agkagk
Analyst

Post#417 » by agkagk » Fri May 17, 2024 12:42 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

True.

Caleb Martin likely opts out, so that is another $7m.

At 29 years he’s looking for his bag and I’d be surprised if it comes from Miami.

Sorta off topic:

Caleb would be a very nice “plan b” short term veteran starting sf for the raps.

Whats a reasonable expected contract for him?

3 x 15 per?

My gut says we could get him for 2 x 17.5 maybe?
agkagk
Analyst

Post#418 » by agkagk » Fri May 17, 2024 2:36 am

Bumping my idea from the bruce thread:

19 + bruce + boucher for wiggins + moody.

Podz replaced moody, 19 replaces moody. bruce is well slotted as kumingas backup and mentor. boucher is a perfect fit off the bench in san fran. Warriors save tax dollars…. maybe? Lol

Let wiggins hit corner threes and defend p.o.a and leave him alone lol

Rj quick wiggins barnes jakub

Dick/moody
veteran pg (tyus jones….monte morris?)
acbaji/moody
Kelly
rim running cheap young centre

Thats a top 6 team

Rj and barnes are legit.

Surround them and the kids with winning veterans. Wiggins, jakub, kelly and a veteran pg would be excellent.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,531
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#419 » by SharoneWright » Fri May 17, 2024 5:55 am

Poeltl (+SRP) for Giddey (+salary filler).

OKC gets the size they need and ditch a piece that's not exactly fitting. Raptors get the "upside" and his *next contract becomes our problem, ala the Knicks with OG and the Pacers with Pascal. Giddey is the right age for us.

*(I'd actually try to work out a sign and trade where OKC rips up the last year of his rookie deal and re-signs him to ~4/80M that we inherit - matching Yak's salary - he makes about 8M next year, so this probably looks nice to him).
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 547

Post#420 » by CazOnReal » Fri May 17, 2024 6:30 am

SharoneWright wrote:Poeltl (+SRP) for Giddey (+salary filler).

OKC gets the size they need and ditch a piece that's not exactly fitting. Raptors get the "upside" and his *next contract becomes our problem, ala the Knicks with OG and the Pacers with Pascal. Giddey is the right age for us.

*(I'd actually try to work out a sign and trade where OKC rips up the last year of his rookie deal and re-signs him to ~4/80M that we inherit - matching Yak's salary - he makes about 8M next year, so this probably looks nice to him).

Just because Drake is our "official ambassador" doesn't mean we need to get someone who's equally problematic (allegedly) around underage girls.

And for Poeltl plus draft capital? Awful suggestion. Even if we ignore the hole at center this would open up, Giddey doesn't fill in any current issues on the roster unless you're relegating him to the bench as the 6th man-esque PG. Bad defender, bad shooter and did I mention the off-court controversy of his alleged relationship with a minor?

Return to Toronto Raptors