ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 4

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,388

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 4 

Post#1061 » by alpngso » Fri May 17, 2024 11:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Jamal Shead. Maybe the best guard defender in the class? Even better than Devin Carter?
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,180

Post#1062 » by PoundTown » Fri May 17, 2024 11:07 pm

alpngso wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jamal Shead. Maybe the best guard defender in the class? Even better than Devin Carter?

I feel like this dude will end up being a good backup point, especially if he can develop his jumper a bit more, which I think is possible given his relatively strong free throw shooting. This man is tough as nails and highly competitive. Him, Sears, Kolek could all end up being solid backup types, all having a little something holding them back from being starter types.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,705

Post#1063 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri May 17, 2024 11:23 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:We aren't going to be filling the OG hole in this draft and I don't want us wasting a pick trying to do so.

All we need to do here to have a productive draft is pick two guys who have the highest chance at being rotation guys - anything other than that is icing on the cake. We don't need to take a big swing.

Here's how I see the lottery shaking out:

Top 5
1. Hawks - Sarr
2. Wizards - Clingan
3. Rockets - Risacher
4. Spurs - Topic/Dillingham
5. Pistons - Buzelis
6. Hornets - Holland/Castle
7. Blazers - Holland/Williams/Trade
8. Spurs - Topic/Williams
9. Grizzlies - Sheppard/Trade
10. Jazz - Collier/McCain
11. Bulls - Filipowski/Knecht/Salaun
12. Thunder - McCain/Knecht
13. Kings - McCain/Collier/Knecht
14. Blazers - Salaun

The one guy I'm fairly certain will be on the board at #19 is JaKobe Walter while Carter has a chance to sneak in the back end of the lottery. I also think Edey has a chance to go late lottery to the Thunder but if not, he won't be taken in the lotto at all.

I'd be surprised if Carter gets passed Miami and Ware could go as early as #17 to the Pels.

If this happens, I think you just take Holmes at #19 and be done with the first round. Hopefully Sallis and Simpson are still on the board at #31, though Minny will probably be looking for a PG at #28.

I expect to see a ton of trades as well.

I mean its impossible to fill that OG roll immediately with a rookie but I see a couple guys in this draft who could eventually do that just fine with slightly less defense
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,723

Post#1064 » by Psubs » Fri May 17, 2024 11:52 pm

Washington should not take Clingan #2. They should take Risacher and then Edey might be around at #26 for the Wizards. Even if not, will be able to draft 1 of Ware, Missi, Tyler Smith, Holmes or Bona with 26. Maybe with Bona, keep him instead of letting Ben Wallace go.

New Orleans might take Edey #17 or gamble and take him at #21.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 234

Post#1065 » by RoteSchroder » Fri May 17, 2024 11:56 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think he goes 2 to Wizards

Honestly he would be a culture setter for them. Adding a guy who knows how to win, who brings the Hurley mentality to the locker room would have a positive impact on the team at large and especially Coulibaly. Also he would dramatically improve their interior D. Their team is so pathetic that adding him would make them at least somewhat respectable in the short term while not entirely bumping them into the top 22-24 teams in the league so they'll still be in play for the elite guys in 2025 and 2026.

We have to remember that Clingan is no ordinary interior defender, he is very stout and very long and is still developing in many regards.

Only thing to consider when it comes to bigs in general is that they are more like NFL RBs and can be more easily replaced, but do any of the wings show the level of feel/proficiency that he does? Also there is injury risk with guys who are that size and aren't light on their feet so it's always a riskier proposition and that applies to Edey too but sometimes you just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I feel like Hawks would consider Clingan over Sarr
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,553

Post#1066 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:09 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:We aren't going to be filling the OG hole in this draft and I don't want us wasting a pick trying to do so.

All we need to do here to have a productive draft is pick two guys who have the highest chance at being rotation guys - anything other than that is icing on the cake. We don't need to take a big swing.

Top 5
1. Hawks - Sarr
2. Wizards - Clingan
3. Rockets - Risacher
5. Pistons - Buzelis
14. Blazers - Salaun

The one guy I'm fairly certain will be on the board at #19 is JaKobe Walter while Carter has a chance to sneak in the back end of the lottery. I also think Edey has a chance to go late lottery to the Thunder but if not, he won't be taken in the lotto at all.

I'd be surprised if Carter gets passed Miami and Ware could go as early as #17 to the Pels.

If this happens, I think you just take Holmes at #19 and be done with the first round. Hopefully Sallis and Simpson are still on the board at #31, though Minny will probably be looking for a PG at #28.

I mean its impossible to fill that OG roll immediately with a rookie but I see a couple guys in this draft who could eventually do that just fine with slightly less defense

Who?
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,409

Post#1067 » by XTC » Sat May 18, 2024 12:19 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

Top 5
1. Hawks - Sarr
2. Wizards - Clingan
3. Rockets - Risacher
5. Pistons - Buzelis
14. Blazers - Salaun

Who?

Devin Carter is in the Derrick White/Marcus Smart mold (minus the point guard skills) IMO. Measured well, and he killed it athletically at the combine (just set the combine record for 3/4 sprints).
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,627

Post#1068 » by PhilBlackson » Sat May 18, 2024 2:15 am

If the reports are true that our FO is going BPA...imo out of everyone that should realistically be there, it's Bub Carrington.

Maybe Carter falls but I just can't get over him only having a single DECENT (not great) shooting year, the rest was below 29%.

Bub is already so talented, imagine he had another 2 years in college - he'd be eating kids up out there. I'm just doubtful we take him because a) RJ & Gradey are SGs b) lesser extent I just don't think our FO likes players with edge, they love their "high character" guys. So overall I'd be shocked if we took him but imo he is the actual BPA at 19 & I'm most confident that he may not be a star but you won't look back like you "swung & missed", he's a NBA player.

But if they did in fact make this comment about BPA, then it really makes me think we're taking a C. Whether that's Chomche, Edey, Ware, Holmes etc idk...but it feels like they would preference their pick publicly to almost prepare everyone for them drafting someone at a redundant position. I think it's far more likely to be a young C due to having older Cs that won't be around when this core comes into their primes.

Personally I'd still like to take Bub because if you have 2 talented guards & Scottie that's a nice start to the rebuild and maybe you bite the bullet on not getting a wing this draft & get him in the next one when there are much better prospects there and then you have a really talented core. I'm sure one Missi, Holmes, Edey or *ahem Chomche will still be there at 31 anyways & instead of using money to bring back Gary (which now would be pointless with Bub anyways) & throw it at Tyus Jones, Melton or some other backup PG.

But I don't expect that to happen...I still believe they're hoping for a guard to fall to them then draft Chomche at 31. I'm still praying that Pate can declare and that we're able to trade Brown to be high enough to draft him - then we will have had an awesome draft.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,739

Post#1069 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:22 am

Really wish we were able to get Salaun, him & Barnes as a SF/PF seems kinda cool to envision. Big bodies on the wing

In Raptor Ball I Trust
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,824

Post#1070 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat May 18, 2024 2:30 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:Really wish we were able to get Salaun, him & Barnes as a SF/PF seems kinda cool to envision. Big bodies on the wing

Check out Babacar Sane. I made a post about him earlier today.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,627

Post#1071 » by PhilBlackson » Sat May 18, 2024 2:36 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:Really wish we were able to get Salaun, him & Barnes as a SF/PF seems kinda cool to envision. Big bodies on the wing

Wouldn't surprise me if that's who they are trying to keep very low-key as their target in a Bruce Brown trade.

I don't even like to put that idea out there because I feel like the Raps are going to be targeting some like him or Pate at the center of their radar but they won't be able to contain the buzz. Then either some a hole team just before our trade target catches wind & drafts him or the team we're trying to trade with hears & decides they'll have a closer look/draft them instead.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,723

Post#1072 » by Psubs » Sat May 18, 2024 3:21 am

PhilBlackson wrote:If the reports are true that our FO is going BPA...imo out of everyone that should realistically be there, it's Bub Carrington.

Maybe Carter falls but I just can't get over him only having a single DECENT (not great) shooting year, the rest was below 29%.

Bub is already so talented, imagine he had another 2 years in college - he'd be eating kids up out there. I'm just doubtful we take him because a) RJ & Gradey are SGs b) lesser extent I just don't think our FO likes players with edge, they love their "high character" guys. So overall I'd be shocked if we took him but imo he is the actual BPA at 19 & I'm most confident that he may not be a star but you won't look back like you "swung & missed", he's a NBA player.

But if they did in fact make this comment about BPA, then it really makes me think we're taking a C. Whether that's Chomche, Edey, Ware, Holmes etc idk...but it feels like they would preference their pick publicly to almost prepare everyone for them drafting someone at a redundant position. I think it's far more likely to be a young C due to having older Cs that won't be around when this core comes into their primes.

Personally I'd still like to take Bub because if you have 2 talented guards & Scottie that's a nice start to the rebuild and maybe you bite the bullet on not getting a wing this draft & get him in the next one when there are much better prospects there and then you have a really talented core. I'm sure one Missi, Holmes, Edey or *ahem Chomche will still be there at 31 anyways & instead of using money to bring back Gary (which now would be pointless with Bub anyways) & throw it at Tyus Jones, Melton or some other backup PG.

But I don't expect that to happen...I still believe they're hoping for a guard to fall to them then draft Chomche at 31. I'm still praying that Pate can declare and that we're able to trade Brown to be high enough to draft him - then we will have had an awesome draft.

Well written and my sentiments exactly. Carrington tested way more athletic than I thought he would and shot the 3pt drill better than expected. He's legit 6'5 in shoes unlike Bronny who would be 6'2.5 tops in shoes. Bronny and Collier already look built and not likely to improve in that area as they get older, while Carrington looks like he could get stronger like a Haliburton did.

#19 Carrington
#31 JT Toppin or Ulrich Chomche (would like to trade down to take him plus an additional 2nd pick)

Me thinking last year, why can't Cason Wallace be better than Scoot? This year it's why can't Carrington be the best PG in this draft?
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,705

Post#1073 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:34 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

Top 5
1. Hawks - Sarr
2. Wizards - Clingan
3. Rockets - Risacher
5. Pistons - Buzelis
14. Blazers - Salaun

Who?

Imo Jones, Ingram, De Silva, Dadiet, Watkins
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,199

Post#1074 » by DelAbbot » Sat May 18, 2024 3:37 am

Read on Twitter
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#1075 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:57 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:

https://youtu.be/Wn2Tqo95mGU?si=C0aJKCtRP06A4Ydi

That's actually a good find. Bravo, cuz I definitely haven't seen him mentioned anywhere. At 31 I'd be ecstatic. Seems like these Arron Gordans pj Washingtons on the low end & Paulo Scottie on the highend are the new PF archetype. Strong like ox but athletically mobile.
He fits this mold

In Raptor Ball I Trust
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,782

Post#1076 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sat May 18, 2024 4:09 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
I think he goes 2 to Wizards

Honestly he would be a culture setter for them. Adding a guy who knows how to win, who brings the Hurley mentality to the locker room would have a positive impact on the team at large and especially Coulibaly. Also he would dramatically improve their interior D. Their team is so pathetic that adding him would make them at least somewhat respectable in the short term while not entirely bumping them into the top 22-24 teams in the league so they'll still be in play for the elite guys in 2025 and 2026.

We have to remember that Clingan is no ordinary interior defender, he is very stout and very long and is still developing in many regards.

Only thing to consider when it comes to bigs in general is that they are more like NFL RBs and can be more easily replaced, but do any of the wings show the level of feel/proficiency that he does? Also there is injury risk with guys who are that size and aren't light on their feet so it's always a riskier proposition and that applies to Edey too but sometimes you just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I feel like Hawks would consider Clingan over Sarr

Clingan is probably going to end up a Nurkic/Kessler hybrid w/ better ball protection and a chance to have a respectable 3 ball. I'd say his path to achieving that is a lot safer than Sarr becoming Evan Mobley.

He's of the same mold as those two but has a chance to just be a rich version by combining the best elements of both their games and then also just being very responsible with the ball.
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#1077 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat May 18, 2024 4:16 am

Sarr offers more flexibility beside OO so I don't think ATL will go for the true 5 man in Clingan.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,925

Post#1078 » by WuTang_OG » Sat May 18, 2024 4:34 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lol

if this guy's name was John Smith he wouldn't even get talked about
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#1079 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat May 18, 2024 5:04 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

https://youtu.be/Wn2Tqo95mGU?si=C0aJKCtRP06A4Ydi

That's actually a good find. Bravo, cuz I definitely haven't seen him mentioned anywhere. At 31 I'd be ecstatic. Seems like these Arron Gordans pj Washingtons on the low end & Paulo Scottie on the highend are the new PF archetype. Strong like ox but athletically mobile.
He fits this mold

He seems to have a mean streak about him. I love that he’s built like a tank and willing to play the wing. If he develops a 3 plus a handle he’s a problem. Huge ifs, of course, but if he had those things he would be ranked much higher.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#1080 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat May 18, 2024 5:04 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lol

if this guy's name was John Smith he wouldn't even get talked about

Bronny Brinson would’ve gone so hard

Return to Toronto Raptors