ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Approval Rating

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Masai Approval Rating

A
10%
B
24%
C
30%
D
24%
F
11%
Just want to see results
2%

Total votes: 191

ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,849

Re: Masai Approval Rating 

Post#141 » by ConSarnit » Wed May 15, 2024 4:40 pm

C

But I think this off-season will be make or break for me. The pivot to youth, surplus draft assets and focus on development is a good sign. Maybe it came a little later than we wanted but it should be taken as a sign that the FO acknowledges their mistakes and are, in theory, going back to what made them so successful in the first place.

Now, if we make some mid-tier win now move over the summer that will be a giant red flag to me. This core is completely unproven and trying to squeeze out 4-5 more wins next year by overpaying some middling starter seems like the worst course of action.

The OG trade was a (good) sign that the FO is willing to pivot. I will not be happy if we pivot back to win-now just 6 months after that trade. That will make me lose my remaining faith in this front office.

If we can get through to the next trade deadline without anything major happening that will restore a lot of my faith in Masai/FO. If they show they have learned from their mistakes I think that should restore a lot of confidence around here.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,193

Post#142 » by DelAbbot » Wed May 15, 2024 4:46 pm

ConSarnit wrote:C

But I think this off-season will be make or break for me. The pivot to youth, surplus draft assets and focus on development is a good sign. Maybe it came a little later than we wanted but it should be taken as a sign that the FO acknowledges their mistakes and are, in theory, going back to what made them so successful in the first place.

Now, if we make some mid-tier win now move over the summer that will be a giant red flag to me. This core is completely unproven and trying to squeeze out 4-5 more wins next year by overpaying some middling starter seems like the worst course of action.

The OG trade was a (good) sign that the FO is willing to pivot. I will not be happy if we pivot back to win-now just 6 months after that trade. That will make me lose my remaining faith in this front office.

If we can get through to the next trade deadline without anything major happening that will restore a lot of my faith in Masai/FO. If they show they have learned from their mistakes I think that should restore a lot of confidence around here.

What should they do with Poeltl? He doesn't fit the Scottie timeline (OG would have fit much better) and all he will be doing is stabilizing our record at 35-40 next year = treadmilling
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,816

Post#143 » by Steelo Green » Wed May 15, 2024 5:04 pm

dTox wrote:
binjumper wrote:Too many people want a flash in a pan. Things take time and in the tik tok era people only have the attention span of a goldfish.

Life is a slow burn. You gotta take the ups with the downs or you're just an ****.

\
Isn't trading what turned out to be the #8th pick in a draft for Jakob freaking Poetl (or 20th pick for a 50 year old Thad Young) the definition of wanting flash in a pan? Majority of people preferred a slow build, it's not the fans that lost patience.

I find it funny when people post here with the "you youngins" approach. Most of the people I know who are saying Masai is a mediocre Pres/GM are in their 30s and 40s but I guess we're the tiktok generation looking for a flash in a pan.

Remember when Masai to get out of his DMC mistake traded a lottery protected first to get rid of him.
Dyehardrapsfan
Junior
And1: 55

Post#144 » by Dyehardrapsfan » Wed May 15, 2024 5:05 pm

Masai lose his swagger.

Seeing knicks and pacers improve significantly I hope he can rebound.

I guess every empire has its sunset
Dyehardrapsfan
Junior
And1: 55

Post#145 » by Dyehardrapsfan » Wed May 15, 2024 5:06 pm

Masai lose his swagger.

Seeing knicks and pacers improve significantly I hope he can rebound.

I guess every empire has its sunset
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,679

Post#146 » by Scase » Wed May 15, 2024 5:08 pm

dTox wrote:
binjumper wrote:Too many people want a flash in a pan. Things take time and in the tik tok era people only have the attention span of a goldfish.

Life is a slow burn. You gotta take the ups with the downs or you're just an ****.

\
Isn't trading what turned out to be the #8th pick in a draft for Jakob freaking Poetl (or 20th pick for a 50 year old Thad Young) the definition of wanting flash in a pan? Majority of people preferred a slow build, it's not the fans that lost patience.

Yeah, that is some wild just made up **** lol. I remember seeing an overall "meh" to "that's a terrible trade" at the time, sentiment.

Because most people saw it for what it was, doubling down on a bad core with a win now move, for a lotto bound team. I don't know why I have to keep saying this, but when Masai himself publicly admits it as a mistake, why are the FANS the issue here?

Like this isn't even harping on masai or the trade, but blaming fans at this point for being impatient? The god damned irony.
Props TZ!
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,849

Post#147 » by ConSarnit » Wed May 15, 2024 6:37 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:C

What should they do with Poeltl? He doesn't fit the Scottie timeline (OG would have fit much better) and all he will be doing is stabilizing our record at 35-40 next year = treadmilling

I don’t think they will because it would be a clear sign they are giving up on next season but I would trade him for any reasonable offer. I actually think a Poeltl trade is more “acceptable” now that we’ve given up our draft pick. The optics look less bad now that the pick has conveyed.

In my ideal world, I would trade Poeltl this off-season and ideally for a 2025 1st. No Poeltl probably locks us in as a bottom 5 team in a strong draft. 2 1sts in 2025, 2 1sts in 2026. Core of Barnes/IQ/Barrett locked in. 1 year of strategic tanking in 2025 and then go from there.

This team is too good to bottom out with Poeltl. He’s really the only thing holding the defense together and that’s enough to push us into mid-30s wins as you said (which is the worst place to be). It’s sort of dumb because we’d probably need a Poeltl-like player in 2026 but we could really benefit from a bottoming out year in 2025 and Poeltl’s floor raising doesn’t help with that. It’s too bad we couldn’t lend him out to OKC for a year for a late 1st.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,509

Post#148 » by Spida888 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:28 pm

Giving him a C only because he gained some points from the OG trade.

If we don't do anything but gun for the play-in again next year, then it will fall back to D.

Trade another FRP for a band-aid solution that doesn't move the needle much, then F.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#149 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed May 15, 2024 7:53 pm

We won 30% of the games we played and lost our first round pick. This year was a giant fail, F-.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 842

Post#150 » by disoblige » Wed May 15, 2024 8:07 pm

djsunyc wrote:another thread to beat the dead horse that's the yak trade.

find a new slant!

Because they think are smart and blames the GM for their own mistakes probably from gambling or investing in seats. Not trading for Poeltl doesnt make this team significantly better. Masai did the impossible and got a undesirable market a championship and a winning record.

will
RealGM
And1: 50,011
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#151 » by will » Wed May 15, 2024 8:17 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:We won 30% of the games we played and lost our first round pick. This year was a giant fail, F-.

I approve of your disapproval.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#152 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed May 15, 2024 8:19 pm

will wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:We won 30% of the games we played and lost our first round pick. This year was a giant fail, F-.

I think the people giving him reasonable grades didn't watch the second half of the season.
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#153 » by disoblige » Wed May 15, 2024 8:24 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
will wrote:

I think the people giving him reasonable grades didn't watch the second half of the season.

May be you didnt watch the season half of the season, when we trade Siakam for picks, Barnes getting a season ending injury, Barret and Quickley sitting out games. Did you expect the team to win when we trade Siakam for picks and Barnes getting a season ending injury?
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#154 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed May 15, 2024 8:27 pm

disoblige wrote:
will wrote:

May be you didnt watch the season half of the season, when we trade Siakam for picks, Barnes getting a season ending injury, Barret and Quickley sitting out games. Did you expect the team to win when we trade Siakam for picks and Barnes getting a season ending injury?

Don't give me the injury line. I've been around long enough to know everybody gets "injured' when a team starts tanking.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,922

Post#155 » by djsunyc » Wed May 15, 2024 8:31 pm

will wrote:

2nd half was injuries and active tank so not sure how to take that.

there's many ways to evaluate - the thread was about "approval" rating or whatever. that's 100% subjective.

if you choose to look at the change in direction and the possibilities of rebuilding over the next few years, then he put us in a decent position - regardless if he's the one here making those decisions or not.

if this question was asked 3 years ago - what if masai tore this down a bit and before the 24/25 season our roster was scottie, iq, rj, dick + all our future firsts and cap space regardless of the path taken to get there, would you be ok with that? i think more folks probably would be.

too many folks are burned by the yak trade and are not ready to move past it so it's completely influenced their evaluation.
disoblige
Head Coach

Post#156 » by disoblige » Wed May 15, 2024 8:35 pm

disoblige wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:I think the people giving him reasonable grades didn't watch the second half of the season.

Don't give me the injury line. I've been around long enough to know everybody gets "injured' when a team starts tanking.

You only listen to things you want to hear and choose what to believe.

We traded Siakam for 3 1st round pick and Barnes broke his hand. That injury wasnt staged or intentional.
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,086

Post#157 » by Clutch0z24 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:42 pm

I honestly think something bigger is going on behind the scenes we don't get to see as fans....Masai seems all over the place sometimes checked out...It seems like he wants to do something but suits higher up than him want something different....

I honestly think he wants to play the drafting game for a little bit to get a influx of talent into the program but someone higher up is pushing for win now moves which ulimatly force his hand to please them and thats why hes been making these out of no where short sighted moves....

Thats just my opinion i just can see it sometimes when he does media...He says things in the media that contradict his actions...Like that playoffs for what line just to then make a play in for what type move the following year....

It just seems to me hes not the one controlling the strings behind the scenes and some goofball who knows nothing about basketball is pushing for things to make more money.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#158 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed May 15, 2024 8:45 pm

disoblige wrote:
disoblige wrote:

We traded Siakam for 3 1st round pick and Barnes broke his hand. That injury wasnt staged or intentional.

Those things were all going to happen. SA had our pick, we sucked. It's called defending your pick.
binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,720

Post#159 » by binjumper » Wed May 15, 2024 8:48 pm

disoblige wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Don't give me the injury line. I've been around long enough to know everybody gets "injured' when a team starts tanking.

Those things were all going to happen. SA had out pick, we sucked. It's called defending your pick.

We saw him break his hand on tv lol. They didn't fake it. :lol:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,153

Post#160 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed May 15, 2024 8:51 pm

Will bump approval rating to A++ if Masai drafts Edey with #19 and Bronny with #31
In Masai We Trust :meditate:

Return to Toronto Raptors