ImageImageImageImageImage

Jack Armstrong on Barnes (Video)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,316

Re: Jack Armstrong on Barnes (Video) 

Post#21 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:41 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:The 2018 team was 10-11 deep with Norm at or near the bottom. This roster is not that deep, nor is there a Demar to trade for a Kawhi if that path even presents itself. Have to get the #1 a different way. And if it takes too long to build, how long do Scottie and IQ want to wait, to win? Assuming RJ wants to stay home no matter what.

I have hope that Barrett can become that trade piece.

Yeah he could become the Demar in the scenario but will they really trade the local hero?

You could say they already did it once with Demar...

Majority of our board was obviously very ready to move on, but the general fanbase considered him the franchise and a "local hero" of sorts. Even this board had Team Neutral aka Demar fanboys.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,243

Post#22 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:56 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
I have hope that Barrett can become that trade piece.

Yeah he could become the Demar in the scenario but will they really trade the local hero?

Majority of our board was obviously very ready to move on, but the general fanbase considered him the franchise and a "local hero" of sorts. Even this board had Team Neutral aka Demar fanboys.

To be fair, I understood that, Demar had re-signed here, showed loyalty to Toronto, was the home grown hero. Of course Kawhi was worth it but still a tough call, with backlash that made Masai gun shy for a while. But now he's traded some of his African proteges so you're probably right, he'll trade anyone.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#23 » by Scase » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:03 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Yeah he could become the Demar in the scenario but will they really trade the local hero?

To be fair, I understood that, Demar had re-signed here, showed loyalty to Toronto, was the home grown hero. Of course Kawhi was worth it but still a tough call, with backlash that made Masai gun shy for a while. But now he's traded some of his African proteges so you're probably right, he'll trade anyone.

Him only trading those players when they are the last few months of their contract doesn't show much change IMO. He traded DD when he realized it was better for the team, he traded OG/Siakam when he realized re-signing them would be worse for the team. The fact that he didn't just let them walk is the only thing he could've done that would've been worse. And I would say his self preservation is more likely the reason that didn't happen with Siakam, as he likely would've been fired had that happened.
Props TZ!
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,316

Post#24 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:16 pm

Scase wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

Him only trading those players when they are the last few months of their contract doesn't show much change IMO. He traded DD when he realized it was better for the team, he traded OG/Siakam when he realized re-signing them would be worse for the team. The fact that he didn't just let them walk is the only thing he could've done that would've been worse. And I would say his self preservation is more likely the reason that didn't happen with Siakam, as he likely would've been fired had that happened.

Putting aside self preservation which I completely disagree with you on,

I agree on OG. Masai clearly didn't want to give up OG and he likely wouldn't have if 1) OG wasn't actively pushing to end up in NY and 2) leading NY to offer a really attractive package for an expiring player knowing they can re-sign him at a discount. To be fair, I wanted them to keep OG and as much as I've warmed up to IQ, I still think OG is clearly the best player in that deal. With that said, many people disagree with me on that and believe the Raptors won the deal, and I see their arguments.

In regards to Siakam, I disagree though just like you, I'm only making a guess. I think the Siakam return proved the league doesn't value him to the degree his production suggests it should. Lowe came out and said if Siakam was traded last year, return would not have been much different according to his sourcers - I tend to believe him on this stuff. So in the case of Siakam, I think the FO had probably come to the conclusion that if they could make it work with him, the rewards are higher than what they could get if they traded him. Once it became clear that they couldn't (from a play style and contract standpoint), they took the offer they had. And we all agree the offer was underwhelming. Issue here is most think it's a function of his contract term, but all the data points we've heard about what was available for him over the last 2 years says that is not the case and it's in fact the upcoming contract for Siakam that kept others away.
Scase
RealGM

Post#25 » by Scase » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:29 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:To be fair, I understood that, Demar had re-signed here, showed loyalty to Toronto, was the home grown hero. Of course Kawhi was worth it but still a tough call, with backlash that made Masai gun shy for a while. But now he's traded some of his African proteges so you're probably right, he'll trade anyone.

I agree on OG. Masai clearly didn't want to give up OG and he likely wouldn't have if 1) OG wasn't actively pushing to end up in NY and 2) leading NY to offer a really attractive package for an expiring player knowing they can re-sign him at a discount. To be fair, I wanted them to keep OG and as much as I've warmed up to IQ, I still think OG is clearly the best player in that deal. With that said, many people disagree with me on that and believe the Raptors won the deal, and I see their arguments.

In regards to Siakam, I disagree though just like you, I'm only making a guess. I think the Siakam return proved the league doesn't value him to the degree his production suggests it should. Lowe came out and said if Siakam was traded last year, return would not have been much different according to his sourcers - I tend to believe him on this stuff. So in the case of Siakam, I think the FO had probably come to the conclusion that if they could make it work with him, the rewards are higher than what they could get if they traded him. Once it became clear that they couldn't (from a play style and contract standpoint), they took the offer they had. And we all agree the offer was underwhelming. Issue here is most think it's a function of his contract term, but all the data points we've heard about what was available for him over the last 2 years says that is not the case and it's in fact the upcoming contract for Siakam that kept others away.

It's weird, I think that OG was definitely the most impactful player in the trade, but I don't know if I would say he's the best player. Unless you mean at the time of the trade, then yeah I would completely agree.

As for Siakam, it is difficult to say for sure. I can see the argument being made either way. Held onto him longer due to a lukewarm valuation, or held on too long because they thought that they could make it work with him. My issue through this whole debacle honestly isn't even about the return, although as you said, we can all pretty much agree it was certainly less than ideal.

My gripe is holding onto him an additional 6-12 months basically setting back the rebuild for essentially nothing. And then you have to take into account the cascading impact of a trade like the one for Jak, which while yes, we needed a centre, there is not a shred of evidence that will ever make me believe they weren't trying to make that core work, despite all the red flags.

If Siakam gets moved the year prior, or we just don't try and double down on that core, we're in a way better place. For all the bitching and moaning about Masai doing nothing in the trade market, the one time he should've stood pat, is when he decided not to. And I think if Siakam was already gone, or he had a better handle of the FVV situation, we'd be in a much better place than we currently are.
Props TZ!
dkb964
Senior
And1: 312

Post#26 » by dkb964 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:30 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Also Barnes is incredible. More and more he looks like a super charged Lamar Odom, which is totally great.

Lamar Odom was a flake as a basketball player. He was a below average defender and certainly was not physically imposing like Barnes. I hate this comparison. It is almost as bad as the Barnes/Aaron Gordan comparison fans of other teams throw around. I know you said "super charged" but jeez man Odom was a really good role player. I have much higher hopes for Scottie. Odom never even sniffed All-Star consideration.
Scase
RealGM

Post#27 » by Scase » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:36 pm

dkb964 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Also Barnes is incredible. More and more he looks like a super charged Lamar Odom, which is totally great.

Lamar Odom was a flake as a basketball player and did not defend well. I hate this comparison. It is almost as bad as the Barnes/ Aaron Gordan comparison fans of other teams throw around. I know you said "super charged" but jeez man Odom was a really good role player. I have much higher hopes for Scottie. Odom never even sniffed All-Star consideration.

All depends on your definition of super charged I guess lol.

IMO a super charged VC is basically MJ, and that is definitely not a shot at MJ lol.
Props TZ!
dkb964
Senior

Post#28 » by dkb964 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:42 pm

Scase wrote:
dkb964 wrote:

Lamar Odom was a flake as a basketball player and did not defend well. I hate this comparison. It is almost as bad as the Barnes/ Aaron Gordan comparison fans of other teams throw around. I know you said "super charged" but jeez man Odom was a really good role player. I have much higher hopes for Scottie. Odom never even sniffed All-Star consideration.

IMO a super charged VC is basically MJ, and that is definitely not a shot at MJ lol.

VC was a superstar at some point in his career and may end up being a hall of fame player when it is all said and done. Odom was a solid starter or an elite 6th man. To be fair to the poster "super charged" could mean anything. I imagine he may just overvalue Odom and it was not a shot at Barnes or how much better of a player he is now then Odom ever was.
Scase
RealGM

Post#29 » by Scase » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:50 pm

dkb964 wrote:
Scase wrote:
dkb964 wrote:

VC was a superstar at some point in his career and may end up being a hall of fame player when it is all said and done. Odom was a solid starter or an elite 6th man. To be fair to the poster "super charged" could mean anything. I imagine he may just overvalue Odom and it was not a shot at Barnes or how much better of a player he is now then Odom ever was.

I see it more as the gap between the players. Like VC even at his peak, was never sniffing MJs level, a super charged VC though, yeah I can see it.

The gap from Odom to Scottie is pretty big, I don't thin it's a super accurate comparison, but I can definitely see what he's getting at.
Props TZ!
dkb964
Senior

Post#30 » by dkb964 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:57 pm

Scase wrote:
dkb964 wrote:
Scase wrote:All depends on your definition of super charged I guess lol.

I see it more as the gap between the players. Like VC even at his peak, was never sniffing MJs level, a super charged VC though, yeah I can see it.

The gap from Odom to Scottie is pretty big, I don't thin it's a super accurate comparison, but I can definitely see what he's getting at.

To some degree I do as well. Both can handle and pass well for a point forward. Odom was a below average defender. I think that is what grinds my gears the most with the compariosn. Odom also did not improve over his career either. Odom was wasted potential. I do not see that happening with Barnes.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,798

Post#31 » by C_Money » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:03 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Thaddy wrote:Gradey has more leadership qualities than Barnes. If we go by a baseball analogy. Barnes is our home run, Gradey is our double, and we need two doubles from this draft that eventually become RBIs by development.

We still need a #1 option. I don’t see Barnes being a 25+ PPG scorer.

(a) Scottie provides more than points,

(b) You don't think a 22 year old who's really just learning to shoot consistently can increase their output by 5 ppg?

Scottie's a year younger than Ant, and had better stats across the board for most of the season.

(A) We need that elite scorer to provide the points. Every contending team has it.

(B) I just don’t see it with him scoring wise. His shooting has dropped off as the season went on and he’s awkward in his movements.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,798

Post#32 » by C_Money » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:04 pm

srhcan wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Thaddy wrote:Gradey has more leadership qualities than Barnes. If we go by a baseball analogy. Barnes is our home run, Gradey is our double, and we need two doubles from this draft that eventually become RBIs by development.

IQ can be 25+ PPG scorer.

Thats what I’m hoping for
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,203

Post#33 » by Duffman100 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:43 pm

dkb964 wrote:
Scase wrote:
dkb964 wrote:

Odom put up 17, 10. 4 1 and 1 in his prime and was a very talented and player.

It’s definitely not an insult to Barnes to say he’s a much better version of that.
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#34 » by grimlock » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:44 pm

Scase wrote:
grimlock wrote:The only thing Barnes needs to focus on is his demeanor and maturity on court.

He trash talks / flexes on opponents too much / hangs his head when he doesn't get the call / flails his arms when his teammates don't make the best play or fumbles a pass. He doesn't need to score 25+ ppg.. he needs to be the guy that does it all and has resolve and focus, because his teammates feed off that when things aren't going their way.

If the post ASG was anything to go by, it seems like he REALLY started reigning that in. He was supporting teammates when they struggled, getting back on defense despite horrible foul calls, overall was looking really promising that he was getting his **** together.

The injury came at a really crap time :(

Ya something clicked after the ASG aggression wise and maturity wise. He probably saw how all these top guys carry themselves.
dkb964
Senior

Post#35 » by dkb964 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:04 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
dkb964 wrote:
Scase wrote:All depends on your definition of super charged I guess lol.

It’s definitely not an insult to Barnes to say he’s a much better version of that.

Odom was a lousy defensive player and never was in consideration for an All-Star team or anything like that. Barnes at 22 years of age has already been an All-Star and his defensive ability is one of his strenghs. Odom was a solid player and a NBA Champion, but other then having a good handle and passing ability for their size thier games are not similar. Plus the year Odom put up the stat line you posted he shot 43/29/74.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#36 » by Duffman100 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:10 pm

dkb964 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
dkb964 wrote:

Odom was a lousy defensive player and never was in consideration for an All-Star team or anything like that. Barnes at 22 years of age has already been an All-Star and his defensive ability is one of his strenghs. Odom was a solid player and a NBA Champion, but other then having a good handle and passing ability for their size thier games are not similar. Plus the year Odom put up the stat line you posted he shot 43/29/74.

Which is why I'm not saying Scottie Barnes is as good as Lamar Odom...

aka Lamar Odom is a poor man's Scottie Barnes
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,094

Post#37 » by Indeed » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:26 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:To be fair, I understood that, Demar had re-signed here, showed loyalty to Toronto, was the home grown hero. Of course Kawhi was worth it but still a tough call, with backlash that made Masai gun shy for a while. But now he's traded some of his African proteges so you're probably right, he'll trade anyone.

I got to wonder if New York was pushing that, or OG was not happy. I mean who was happy with Barnes? VanVleet and Schorder said similar things, OG, Siakam, Banton, etc. just left.

As for Siakam, we got better offer, but due to Siakam being in his last year, he has his choice. And people claim the return is bad, but what exactly people want? We are not getting an equivalent talent, and people here don't want another PF, but a shooter, so we got Bruce Brown and picks, which exactly is what people here hope for. The problem is Barnes couldn't generate good looks for others, he is not Siakam level. Who to blame?
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,094

Post#38 » by Indeed » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:35 pm

C_Money wrote:

Point per game should not be used as a #1 option. #1 option is about shot creation and initiation, not necessarily finishing.
A 3 level scorer would be part of the criteria as well, otherwise, like Siakam, who would be #2 option even he can create and initiate, but not a 3 level scorer.

Regardless, I have a hard time imagine him being the #1 option due to lack of elite quickness, but maybe he can have some elite skills to get around, just that he maybe better off being #2 option or people compare him as Lama Odom. The next question is, how much would you pay him, max contract?
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,032

Post#39 » by anotherhomer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:00 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
dkb964 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Ppl are getting too defensive about this comparison

Ppl see the drama and headlines and forget how talented Lamar Odom was esp his first few seasons.

I still think Barnes is a better version of boris diaw and draymond green which is good defensively but not as offensively talented Lamar was.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#40 » by Duffman100 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:07 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
dkb964 wrote:

Ppl are getting too defensive about this comparison

Ppl see the drama and headlines and forget how talented Lamar Odom was esp his first few seasons.

I still think Barnes is a better version of boris diaw and draymond green which is good defensively but not as offensively talented Lamar was.

That's fair. Honestly no comparison is ever going to really work because Scottie Barnes is.. Scottie.

Lamar was insanely talented just ... lazy? high? If Lamar had Scottie's brain, he probably is closer to 22, 12 and 6 on decent efficiency.

Return to Toronto Raptors