ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Wise80
Senior
And1: 560

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5 

Post#261 » by Wise80 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:23 am

I think we're bigger than Vince nowadays. If we stayed a dumpster team like how we were after he left, then sure, retire his jersey. But we're so much more now. We have a lot more players we should honour over him and a lot more history that we've accomplished.

Give him a proper send off next season. Maybe honour him somehow. Name a section after him. But we don't need to retire his jersey. At the end of the day, the guy had a few great years and was really popular. How many playoff series did we win with him playing? 2? 3? Lol.

I haven't even mentioned the way he left.

We're bigger and better than him now.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,845

Post#262 » by TheRealDeal » Thu May 16, 2024 1:31 am

It’s actually funny to me that ppl are still mad at VC in 2024. Get over yourselves. The way he left doesn’t negate all the good things he did for the franchise. His jersey will be retired whether you like it or not
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,536

Post#263 » by Reeko » Thu May 16, 2024 1:36 am

TheRealDeal wrote:It’s actually funny to me that ppl are still mad at VC in 2024. Get over yourselves. The way he left doesn’t negate all the good things he did for the franchise. His jersey will be retired whether you like it or not

We know his jersey is getting retired... by the Nets. Nobody is mad about that, confused maybe but definitely not mad.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,817

Post#264 » by Dennis 37 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:20 pm

TheRealDeal wrote:It’s actually funny to me that ppl are still mad at VC in 2024. Get over yourselves. The way he left doesn’t negate all the good things he did for the franchise. His jersey will be retired whether you like it or not

What good did he do for the franchise?

What player told his agent, "When my contract is up, I want to go join Vince Carter?"

Who? Name one.

Attendance was not a problem before VC and wasn't after VC. He did not affect the long term financial success of the team at all.

Any short term financial gain was tied up in contracts to surround VC. After he left those contracts became a burden.

You are correct. I can't stop the team from insulting a good portion of the fanbase by retiring his jersey.

Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,073

Post#265 » by carlosey » Thu May 16, 2024 1:56 pm

You can try to convince everyone here in this msg board that VC was not a monumental part of the franchises history (he is), but most people in the city, and media and fans outside of it dont obsess over it in such a negative light and see VC as a positive part of the NBA media today.

It would be insanely immature to hold that petty fan grudge in terms of image and perception of the raptors in the NBA.

VC gets his number retired next season. You better get used to it.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,779

Post#266 » by Scase » Thu May 16, 2024 2:24 pm

C_Money wrote:
TorontoBarneys wrote:Significantly different jerseys and court design would do a lot of good.

I'd really like the purple back into the design. Purple+red is a really unique combination of colors. We'd definitely stand out.

I haven’t seen a poll anywhere but it seems to me the vast majority of fans want the purple colours back. I hope they do it. Make a less boring logo as well.

I think we need to increase the level of chevrons to critical mass. Down the side of the jersey, a couple on the back, hell, throw em on the shorts too!
Props TZ!
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,023

Post#267 » by raptor jesus » Thu May 16, 2024 4:13 pm

My main problem with retiring VC's #15 is that Amir Johnson actually played more games wearing that number, and did so giving everything he had for every one of those games, which you can't say about VC. Obviously VC's impact was massive, but Amir was also an undeniable tone-setter for the rise of the best era in Raptors history. I'm sure Amir might not care, but to me it would feel like his contributions are kind of being washed away. I'd rather they just give VC a monument/statue.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,794

Post#268 » by nestea » Thu May 16, 2024 4:25 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The folks like myself who were able to watch Vince in his Prime won't have an issue Vince number being retired. The younger generation who caught the tail end and or never seen him play for the raps will think otherwise. He deserves it and righty should have his number retired first amongst anyone. Vince put the raps on the map
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,104

Post#269 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:49 pm

nestea wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. The folks like myself who were able to watch Vince in his Prime won't have an issue Vince number being retired. The younger generation who caught the tail end and or never seen him play for the raps will think otherwise. He deserves it and righty should have his number retired first amongst anyone. Vince put the raps on the map

This is false.

It's actually most of the people that actually watched the entirety of Vince's stint here that don't want his jersey retired.

We saw him mail it in on the defensive end at times.

We saw him refuse to be aggressive and settle for difficult inefficient jumpers time and time again.

We saw him cry and sulk like a baby every time he got knocked down.

We saw him deliberately play bad after asking for a trade averaging statistical lows in every category.

We saw him joining other teams huddles at the end of games before being traded.

We saw that he was giving play signals to the Sonics one game that season.

We saw him admit that he relied on his talent and didn't work as hard as he should've.

I mean we don't forget all that.

This dude left in one of the most unprofessional manners we've seen.

That being said, I would be okay with retiring his jersey one day, but not before Lowry and Derozan.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,030
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#270 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 pm

Put Toronto hoops on the map.

Can't front.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,030
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#271 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 7:32 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
nestea wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. The folks like myself who were able to watch Vince in his Prime won't have an issue Vince number being retired. The younger generation who caught the tail end and or never seen him play for the raps will think otherwise. He deserves it and righty should have his number retired first amongst anyone. Vince put the raps on the map

This is false.

It's actually most of the people that actually watched the entirety of Vince's stint here that don't want his jersey retired.

We saw him refuse to be aggressive and settle for difficult inefficient jumpers time and time again.

We saw him deliberately play bad after asking for a trade averaging statistical lows in every category.

We saw him admit that he relied on his talent and didn't work as hard as he should've.

That being said, I would be okay with retiring his jersey one day, but not before Lowry and Derozan.

OOF.

At this point, it's not worth being petty and holding onto such sentiment from so many years ago. The Raptors fans - especially those since 1995 should take the high road.
TheGeneral99
Veteran

Post#272 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:11 pm

will wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:

This is false.

OOF.

At this point, it's not worth being petty and holding onto such sentiment from so many years ago. The Raptors fans - especially those since 1995 should take the high road.

Again - I am of the opinion that loyalty, work-ethic, heart, leadership, longevity with a franchise, and team success should have major considerations when it comes to jersey retirement.

He played here for 6 years, was not loyal, left unprofessionally, and apart from 2001 didn't have much team success.

So I agree and I wouldn't boo Vince at all...he was an exciting part of our history, I just don't think it's deserving of a jersey retirement (or at least not before Lowry and Derozan).
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,516

Post#273 » by D.Brasco » Fri May 17, 2024 12:34 am

The Orlando Magic finally realized that with Shaq and he called Orlando a "dried-up pond" on his way out. I honestly think Raptors ownership thought they had all the time in the world to plan for Vince's jersey retirement as they like most never thought any other team than the Raptors would actually honor Vince.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,494

Post#274 » by tdotrep2 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:44 am

I just want the old raptor back. None of this chevron, claw ish... like cmon.
El Mas Chingon
Senior
And1: 525

Post#275 » by El Mas Chingon » Fri May 17, 2024 2:39 am

raptor jesus wrote:My main problem with retiring VC's #15 is that Amir Johnson actually played more games wearing that number, and did so giving everything he had for every one of those games, which you can't say about VC. Obviously VC's impact was massive, but Amir was also an undeniable tone-setter for the rise of the best era in Raptors history. I'm sure Amir might not care, but to me it would feel like his contributions are kind of being washed away. I'd rather they just give VC a monument/statue.

I agree with your points about Amir. The guy took fans to the movies. I roll with Amir.

I disagree with giving VC a statue. Someone please tell me what NBA players have a statue and how VC compares to them?

His image has been massively rehabilitated by the PR campaign that started with the Carter Documentary.

I was there when VC would bring the whole stadium to it's feet. I was also there when the whole stadium shouted derogatory chants at him in unified viscous hate. It was all glorious.

Somehow, the Nets retiring his jersey is poetic justice.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,794

Post#276 » by nestea » Fri May 17, 2024 3:28 am

TheGeneral99 wrote:

This is false.

Lol. You wrote a novel only at the end to agree with Mr lol.
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
al3x1980
Junior
And1: 240

Post#277 » by al3x1980 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:43 am

I guess after I think about it all . I guess this is a fitting closing on the book of Vince Carter. As much as I had a mixed reaction of him getting his jersey retired as a Net first. His career has alot of what could have been... Nets have been irrelevant for pretty much 85-90% of there existence. After coming from the ABA.. It just fits. Maybe after Lowry and DeMar get there jerseys retired then Vince.

Sent from my SM-S926W using Tapatalk
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,948

Post#278 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 17, 2024 12:02 pm

D.Brasco wrote:

The Orlando Magic finally realized that with Shaq and he called Orlando a "dried-up pond" on his way out. I honestly think Raptors ownership thought they had all the time in the world to plan for Vince's jersey retirement as they like most never thought any other team than the Raptors would actually honor Vince.

Shaq was a top 10 player for them for 4 straight years. He improved the team by 20 games in his rookie season and averaged 29/13 a couple years. He was 4th and 2nd in MVP voting for them. They went to the finals and ECF in his last 2 years there. He had much higher individual and team success with the Magic than Vince did with us. The Raptors related highlight everyone thinks of with Vince first is a dunk contest. Shaq's "all the good things he did for the franchise" are significantly greater than Vince's contributions to the Raps. And he left because the team lowballed him, and he holds enormous grudges.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
TheGeneral99
Veteran

Post#279 » by TheGeneral99 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:07 pm

nestea wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:

This is false.

Lol. You wrote a novel only at the end to agree with Mr lol.

Your position was that Vince's jersey should be retired first.

My stance was not to retire his jersey, or at the very least, do it after Lowry and Derozan.

So no, I didn't agree with you whatsoever.
Jenike
Senior
And1: 64

Post#280 » by Jenike » Fri May 17, 2024 1:30 pm

Vince Carter is a legend. Whoever things Amir Johnson is more deserving because he gave his all and worked hard is crazy and does not understand why player's numbers get retired. Vince put TO on the NBA map. Slam dunk champion, his annual summer charity game, his love of Toronto as a city, he is the most marketable player we have ever had. You watched to see what he was going to do next. Vince didn't quit on Toronto or the fans. He saw a stupid management team that was screwing over the future on where he played. Don't tell me that you would stay at a job that you know is a dumpster fire. Some of you talk like you are perfect, when you wouldn''t act that way if it was you. Ridiculous. He should have his jersey hung up. And the timing is a stupid argument to. Are you not going to retire Larry Bird's jersey because Bill Russell was retired first? Ugh.

Return to Toronto Raptors