ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA officially confirms In-Season Tournament

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,230

Re: NBA officially confirms In-Season Tournament 

Post#41 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 4, 2023 12:48 am

Spida888 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Spida888 wrote:If the players care enough about the in season tournament then I’m all for it.

500K isn’t chump change especially for bench dudes but they probably won’t get to play anyways especially under Nurse lol.

Nurse? You think Rockets will make the final?

My guess is Nurse still stays for the remainder of his contract which is 1 year left but who knows. I don't think Raps fire Nurse without him finding a new team right away (ex. Houston) because I believe Raps would still have to pay him the 8M owed for his last year.

Maybe he does go to Houston next year though, they don't own their pick next year so they wouldn't want to tank.

I was joking, like saying Nick won't be here, or we won't get far in this tournament anyway.

Interesting about Houston though, having no pick. They will have to start acquiring veterans to make a push to compete, if they can't tank anymore.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,941

Post#42 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 4, 2023 1:52 pm

I was thinking about how this tournament will work.

You could have 6 groups of 4 and 2 groups of 3, you play home and away against the other teams in the group for a total of 6 games or 4 games which would count towards your regular season record, with the top team in each group going to the QF's.

If the NBA ever expands to 32 teams, you could literally do it like the world cup. 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 from each group going to a round of 16 elimination bracket.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,703

Post#43 » by hyper316 » Tue Apr 4, 2023 1:53 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:I was thinking about how this tournament will work.

You could have 6 groups of 4 and 2 groups of 3, you play home and away against the other teams in the group for a total of 6 games or 4 games which would count towards your regular season record, with the top team in each group going to the QF's.

If the NBA ever expands to 32 teams, you could literally do it like the world cup. 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 from each group going to a round of 16 elimination bracket.

Seattle and Las Vegas, done
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,436

Post#44 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 4, 2023 2:58 pm

pingpongrac wrote:500k for the winning team's players is a huge bonus. A lot of players got a ~1M bonus for All-Star selections a few months ago, so getting half of that for basically winning a few regular season games then one extra tournament game seems like a pretty damn good deal. Even more so for non-stars and guys looking to find their place in the league, that 500k would be huge. It could end up being ~25% of a young player's earnings for the season for example.

Yeah and for two-ways and minimum guys that would literally double their earnings.

I cannot see a leader of a team looking at his bench guys and saying "sorry boys, but I am not taking this seriously because IDC about your payday". And if they do, it is gonna be great content
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 44,107

Post#45 » by WuTang_OG » Sat Apr 8, 2023 4:48 pm

I like the random mix of teams in each group

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=-SxGQ8DcNCxN3_J4eRaFVw
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 44,107

Post#46 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Jun 5, 2023 12:43 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,616

Post#47 » by HangTime » Mon Jun 5, 2023 12:55 am

The winning team should be given an extra first round pick, which is automatically slotted at 15, and is eligible for the lottery 10/1001 odds, if they don't move up they'll get #15.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,813

Post#48 » by MessiahUjiri » Mon Jun 5, 2023 1:04 am

HangTime wrote:The winning team should be given an extra first round pick, which is automatically slotted at 15, and is eligible for the lottery 10/1001 odds, if they don't move up they'll get #15.

Players don’t care about their team getting a draft pick. We have to stop this suggestion.

If anything, the new pick will be roster competition for bench players. Meanwhile, others may be free agents and don’t care at all.

The best way to incentivize players is via $.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,616

Post#49 » by HangTime » Mon Jun 5, 2023 1:06 am

The winner of the tournament should get like 15% luxury tax reduction for that season.

Also, an additional 10% increase in cap space for The remainder of the year.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,185

Post#50 » by Potential » Tue Jun 6, 2023 2:12 am

This gonna be us?

Read on Twitter
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,514

Post#51 » by ItsDanger » Tue Jun 6, 2023 2:17 am

I don't get the appeal of this tournament. Makes sense for soccer Euro leagues but what's the point in NBA where you're already playing one another? I guess there's some money angle for the league somehow.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,296

Post#52 » by Chandan » Tue Jun 6, 2023 2:26 am

Fred is extremely angry now that everyone has something to play for at mid-season. He can't even sacrafice his knees into becoming an all-star now that everyone will be putting in some effort from the beginning of the season.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,469

Post#53 » by KL78192020 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 2:36 am

HangTime wrote:The winner of the tournament should get like 15% luxury tax reduction for that season.

Also, an additional 10% increase in cap space for The remainder of the year.

Why would players care about that? So the team can sign another guy that might take their job?

The players get $500k each if they win. Which is pretty good, players have gotten into huge fights over 50k in unpaid gambling debts, they care about money.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,372

Post#54 » by Zeno » Tue Jun 6, 2023 2:37 am

Potential wrote:This gonna be us?

Read on Twitter

This is why they need to make the tourney not part of the regular season. Everybody dreams of a 58 game balanced schedule where you play every team twice. This mid-season tournament let's that happen if they do it right. Take the excess 24 games and put them in the mid season tourney schedule.

Make the first half of the season in conference only. When you go to a city, you play two games back to back. One game is nba regular season, super meaningful, 2nd game is a futures game where teams play their less core rotation guys but it is cheaper to attend and (you get to see some prospects and backend rotation guys). No player will be allowed to play more than 70 games in a season. Rosters will be expanded slightly to accommodate this.

You could then have the all-star game and tourney on the same weekend as the all-star game. 2nd half of the nba season is 24 games with just cross conference games. The light schedule allows for the additional travel.

Yes the tourney and it's games will be seen as "meaningless" to some but it will give more people an opportunity to see an nba game. It will be a kind of g-league plus league. Tanking teams will be excited to go for it as it won't impact their lottery odds to win these games also. Though I think a good idea is to make the draft order in the 2nd round be based on the mid-season tourney so winning these games is somewhat positive for draft assets too. The loss in revenue will be made up by how impactful($) the 58 games will be.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,820

Post#55 » by Lord_Zedd » Tue Jun 6, 2023 3:17 am

Read on Twitter

We'll hang that banner next to our atlantic division titles and Bon Jovi
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,968

Post#56 » by Jcity08 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 3:36 am

Lord_Zedd wrote:

Read on Twitter

We'll hang that banner next to our atlantic division titles and Bon Jovi

Yeah it will be used as a moral victory for sure in a trash season for more optomistic individuals. Won't fool me.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,764

Post#57 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 3:58 am

Before you fine these players for missing games, you're bribing them with incentives and fundamentally changing the format of NBA for some **** mid season tournament.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,204

Post#58 » by Tofubeque » Tue Jun 6, 2023 4:17 am

I see the finalists play 83 games, the opposite of the direction the league should go in, but I've yet to see what happens to the eliminated teams. Do they play 80 games? Do they play consolation rounds that coincide with the rest of the tournament, which no one is expected to watch?

Of course the league can get away with 83 games for some teams because they already know star players will rest later. But if there's arbitrary games around the holidays they can bribe stars to play in, and just cash out big ad buys around those games, they get ahead on the year. It's literally a concession that they've failed to make normal games worth watching or playing in.
props Turbozone
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,093

Post#59 » by TheGeneral99 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 1:27 pm

NBA just needs to step it up and do a 1 v 1 tournament during all-star break instead of this dumb tournament.

24 players - random seeding, single elimination, games up to 15. Games probably wouldn't be longer than 5-10 minutes.

Would be awesome to see these hypothetical matchups for example:

Steph vs. Anthony Davis

Lillard vs. Luka

Jokic vs. Durant

Booker vs. Embiid

Imagine that. And to incentivize the players, have really good money as prizes: 1st place gets $4 million, 2nd place gets $2.5 million, 3rd and 4th place get $1 million each, and 5-8 get $500,000 each.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,026
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#60 » by will » Tue Jun 6, 2023 9:50 pm

This like the NBA's version of Champions League? Or like a cup competition like European/South American football?

Return to Toronto Raptors