ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,746

Re: Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8 

Post#41 » by DG88 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:53 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Love this quote
“I come in everyday positive, happy. You've got to enjoy it,” he says. “We're blessed to be in this position that we're in, playing. This is the best job in the world. I'm happy every day I come in here and try to work, build around our teammates and just continue to grow as a team. Every game here, we really compete. Just got to go out there and try to execute and work together to try to win. It's fun to go through these growing pains. It's never going to be easy. Winning in the NBA is hard. It's just competing and going together each and every single game. That's why we do it. We want to compete. We love it.”
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,574

Post#42 » by Tha Cynic » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:57 pm

Scase wrote:
Brinbe wrote:absolutely love it. got told he was a raw project coming into the league and turned into the ROTY. Had a soph slump then turned it around into an all star season as a 22-year-old.

from now on, he's scottie allstar and they can't take that away from him.

0 level scorers making ASG's, what's next?

A guy who can't defend or score making all-nba
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,284

Post#43 » by MiamiSPX » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:59 pm

DG88 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Love this quote
“I come in everyday positive, happy. You've got to enjoy it,” he says. “We're blessed to be in this position that we're in, playing. This is the best job in the world. I'm happy every day I come in here and try to work, build around our teammates and just continue to grow as a team. Every game here, we really compete. Just got to go out there and try to execute and work together to try to win. It's fun to go through these growing pains. It's never going to be easy. Winning in the NBA is hard. It's just competing and going together each and every single game. That's why we do it. We want to compete. We love it.”

I know a lot of people don't like the way he talks. He isn't good with the media. But the kid always says the right things, never blames others, and always admits he has work to do. It's funny because he keeps getting trashed for how some perceive his body language, but yet I cannot recall him ever saying something stupid, or that he regrets.
Tha Cynic
RealGM

Post#44 » by Tha Cynic » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:03 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Barnes will 100% for sure be better than any version of Vince by Barnes’ seventh season. I’d bet all of my money on it.

He's already a better, or damn close to, and a far more complete player than Carter. But the complete part he doesnt get enough credit for, and Carter doesn't get enough criticism for.

It’s interesting to note that Carter very much was a very complete player. It never resonated consistently on the stat sheet and he only became a real triple double threat with the Nets. But yeah, it’s part of the whole lack of drive thing. I watched him literally locked guys down on D, make insane passes, and score with ease. He could do it all.

He had more natural talent than Kobe Bryant. He just didn't have the same drive. Some of the things he was able to do was crazy. Should have gone down as one of the best players of all time. Such a waste of talent.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,753

Post#45 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:32 pm

goat speaks

Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,588

Post#46 » by Brinbe » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:43 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:goat speaks

good listen. lead and win, that's the main focus/goal.

exactly what we'd want to hear. def don't think he'll be content with another tanking campaign next season.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,746

Post#47 » by DG88 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:51 pm

Brinbe wrote:

exactly what we'd want to hear. def don't think he'll be content with another tanking campaign next season.

He's the face of the franchise but he's not at the level to dictate terms on team direction. I'm sure Masai and Bobby have let him know what the short-term and long-term plan is. Building around Scottie isn't going to make us a playoff team over night. Look at OKC with Shai they built around him and grew from there. Now they're a contender. This year is already a right off and next year we're probably going to be bad. It's in 2026 that you hope to be moving up the standings to the Play-In and in 2027 and beyond a playoff team.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,588

Post#48 » by Brinbe » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:09 pm

DG88 wrote:
Brinbe wrote:

He's the face of the franchise but he's not at the level to dictate terms on team direction. I'm sure Masai and Bobby have let him know what the short-term and long-term plan is. Building around Scottie isn't going to make us a playoff team over night. Look at OKC with Shai they built around him and grew from there. Now they're a contender. This year is already a right off and next year we're probably going to be bad. It's in 2026 that you hope to be moving up the standings to the Play-In and in 2027 and beyond a playoff team.

Never said he's expecting a playoff contender tomorrow or that we will be. And I'm sure well-aware of what he's in store for in the next few seasons, but that doesn't mean he won't be frustrated if next season is more of what we saw against Houston/NO. Shai and The Thunder have been making positive progress year-to-year, they didn't go from bottom-feeders straight to where they are now. And that's what I'm sure he'll be expecting as well. This is already gonna be a bottom five-seven finish this season and would be worse if we started out the season with this current roster. I don't think any of us want a rewind and straight repeat of this. We will be expecting better.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,609

Post#49 » by Scase » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:24 am

MiamiSPX wrote:
DG88 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Love this quote

I know a lot of people don't like the way he talks. He isn't good with the media. But the kid always says the right things, never blames others, and always admits he has work to do. It's funny because he keeps getting trashed for how some perceive his body language, but yet I cannot recall him ever saying something stupid, or that he regrets.

Personally I can't stand it, I hate players who are lazy and show no effort. I'm so happy I had my eyes opened by all those people that said he's lazy and not a gym rat like Siakam. I bet this idiot won't ever even develop a 3pt shot. What a loser.
Props TZ!
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 230

Post#50 » by RoteSchroder » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:35 am

Tha Cynic wrote:He had more natural talent than Kobe Bryant. He just didn't have the same drive. Some of the things he was able to do was crazy. Should have gone down as one of the best players of all time. Such a waste of talent.

I may be remembering wrong, but I feel like one of his athletic weaknesses was being great/elite at change of direction. Didn't have an elite crossover and didn't have an elite first step, which lowered his ceiling as a slasher.
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,609

Post#51 » by AbC? » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:24 am

Don't want to hear any complaints about his game tonight. Imagine what an emotional rollercoaster it must be to be named an all-star, getting a flood of texts, trying to process it all, it would be draining on anyone. And he still cruised to 18/4/5, let his teammates cook and dominated when he needed to against a quality opponent. Star performance.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,209

Post#52 » by HiJiNX » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:39 am

DG88 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Love this quote

He shows flashes on the court and is now showing flashes of leadership and maturity off the court.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,262

Post#53 » by pingpongrac » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:48 am

AbC? wrote:Don't want to hear any complaints about his game tonight. Imagine what an emotional rollercoaster it must be to be named an all-star, getting a flood of texts, trying to process it all, it would be draining on anyone. And he still cruised to 18/4/5, let his teammates cook and dominated when he needed to against a quality opponent. Star performance.

Scottie didn't have a great game by any means, but he put up a solid performance all-around. I'll take 18/4/5 in this instance where he did not get as many calls as he probably should have and various teammates were on fire at various points in the game. He never forced anything and he did a solid job of passing out of doubles. There were a few blown rotations late in the game (and a bit of a careless turnover) which is a bit of a concern because it's been happening a lot more frequently lately, but the sarcasm is a little over the top. :lol:
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,209

Post#54 » by HiJiNX » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:50 am

pingpongrac wrote:
AbC? wrote:Don't want to hear any complaints about his game tonight. Imagine what an emotional rollercoaster it must be to be named an all-star, getting a flood of texts, trying to process it all, it would be draining on anyone. And he still cruised to 18/4/5, let his teammates cook and dominated when he needed to against a quality opponent. Star performance.

Scottie didn't have a great game by any means, but he put up a solid performance all-around. I'll take 18/4/5 in this instance where he did not get as many calls as he probably should have and various teammates were on fire at various points in the game. He never forced anything and he did a solid job of passing out of doubles. There were a few blown rotations late in the game (and a bit of a careless turnover) which is a bit of a concern because it's been happening a lot more frequently lately, but the sarcasm is a little over the top. :lol:

Some folks really know how to drive a joke into the ground.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
MainEvent
Veteran
And1: 2,342

Post#55 » by MainEvent » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:52 am

The last 3 or 4 games he isn't complaining as much, b4 it was automatic whining to the ref on every negative play whether the D did something or not
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,753

Post#56 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:04 am

this fat fk needs the tony soprano special.. lol who tf calls out a closeout , the hate from this guy is next level. musta banged his wife , gotta be

Read on Twitter
?s=20
microjacklin
Pro Prospect
And1: 555

Post#57 » by microjacklin » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:38 am

WuTang_OG wrote:this fat fk needs the tony soprano special.. lol who tf calls out a closeout , the hate from this guy is next level. musta banged his wife , gotta be

Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's a bad play from Scottie
But you know Doug is also a guy who should enjoy his retire life

It's also pretty obvious the best for Scottie is let him run around the post instead float at the parameter
links135
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,340

Post#58 » by links135 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:40 am

Tha Cynic wrote:
Scase wrote:
Brinbe wrote:absolutely love it. got told he was a raw project coming into the league and turned into the ROTY. Had a soph slump then turned it around into an all star season as a 22-year-old.

from now on, he's scottie allstar and they can't take that away from him.

0 level scorers making ASG's, what's next?

A guy who can't defend or score making all-nba

Did you know Barnes scores better in the restricted area than Banchero? About the same everywhere else, except Banchero jacks up alot more midrange shots and draws more free throws.

Even since Jan 1st Banchero only beats in in 3pt % and taking way more midrange shots.

Since then among guys who make 1 above the break 3 a game, there's only a few guys with more restricted area FGM per game and aren't all-stars. Wemby, Wagner, Miles Bridges, Jalen Johnson and Jaren Jackson jr. His scoring isn't as bad as people are making it, he's just not Kawhi over night.
Tha Cynic
RealGM

Post#59 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:56 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:this fat fk needs the tony soprano special.. lol who tf calls out a closeout , the hate from this guy is next level. musta banged his wife , gotta be

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He's doing it on purpose to get a reaction. I think that's the only way he gets any attention. Someone does need to tell Barnes, even if there's no chance you get anywhere close to affecting that shot, it looks bad that you don't bother to pretend you're going to block it. It is something that most players do, but the narrative has started with Barnes so it will be called out each time

I do think he was too passive in the 4th. He really needs to work on getting comfortable with his offense to the point where he doesn't kick it back for a screen. But that's what the offseason and Darko's insistence as head coach to take those shots are for.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,012

Post#60 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:17 pm

Brinbe wrote:

Was this directly after the NOP game? :lol:

I don't see how the Raptors could tank next year. They have their core 3, and Scottie should be elevating his play up a level by next off-season. For OKC to be really bad, they had to shut down Shai. Their #2 was Lu Dort :lol: They had no IQ or RJ level talent on those two teams that bottomed out. If Scottie is healthy he's going to vault them into the play-in at least next year.

Return to Toronto Raptors