ImageImageImageImageImage

Head Coach isn't it

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,533
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: Head Coach isn't it 

Post#41 » by SharoneWright » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:06 am

rim_killa wrote:laughably atrocious

if we're moving in a fresh direction

let's not ruin the plan with said individual leading it.

msnbc won’t even put said individual on tv anymore
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,297

Post#42 » by Chandan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:11 am

Dalek wrote:For those taking the roster construct as an excuse...

How does Philly beat Cleveland who completely waxed us a couple nights ago?

Their starters:
Maxey
Buddy Hield
Kelly Oubre
KJ Martin
Paul Reed

I don't even want to mention their bench.

Coaching matters because they know how to get guys to play hard no matter the odds.

Darko has his guys ready one in four games. He deserves to be fired out of a cannon.

You are not allowed to compliment the sixers coach without telling me what set and action he runs. winning and losing is just luck.

it's not darko's fault that this team is approaching some sort of record for number of games being down by 20 points at the half before the all star break. Not Masai either because we is rebuilding.
MadDesperado
Junior
And1: 266

Post#43 » by MadDesperado » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:47 am

Pretty sure Pat Delany has more respect on the team than Darko. I kept seeing him out of his seat on the sideline half way towards the scorer's table barking out orders during some games. I still kind of wanna give Darko a pass because this is the first time this season that the roster is set in stone, but it's not looking good
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,794

Post#44 » by C_Money » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:55 am

MadDesperado wrote:Pretty sure Pat Delany has more respect on the team than Darko. I kept seeing him out of his seat on the sideline half way towards the scorer's table barking out orders during some games. I still kind of wanna give Darko a pass because this is the first time this season that the roster is set in stone, but it's not looking good

Pat Delaney is the guy in charge of the defence. I don’t think he deserves any credit for the job he’s done here. He’s also been on a losing team every season of his career.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,920

Post#45 » by lobosloboslobos » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:41 pm

i could be wrong but i have the feeling he wants to be friends with the players, which always goes sideways. that's what his actions and their attitudes suggest to me. i'm not a drill seargent guy but in this case i think we need a lot firmer hand. pops is unquestionably the man in charge. he treats everyone equally and gave even Timmy sh*t when necessary. don't think darko's up for that.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,332

Post#46 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:44 pm

He's terrible but he was also given a roster where he had to (was mandated to) play Malachi Flynn for 15+ minutes per game.

Obviously he's done nothing to warrant anyone wanting to keep him, but we know our FO doesn't shoot from the hip and are patient to a fault. There is likely 0% chance he gets fired after this season. He's the placeholder until the ascension starts, whenever the hell that will be lol.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,812

Post#47 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:46 pm

C_Money wrote:
MadDesperado wrote:Pretty sure Pat Delany has more respect on the team than Darko. I kept seeing him out of his seat on the sideline half way towards the scorer's table barking out orders during some games. I still kind of wanna give Darko a pass because this is the first time this season that the roster is set in stone, but it's not looking good

Pat Delaney is the guy in charge of the defence. I don’t think he deserves any credit for the job he’s done here. He’s also been on a losing team every season of his career.

If Pat Delaney is in charge of the defense he might be one of the worst hires in Raptors history.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,692

Post#48 » by johanliebert » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:05 pm

johanliebert wrote:Atrocious at what exactly?

No answer as i expected. Dudes here used buzz words such as adjustments and rotations but won’t tell you whats happening on the court.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,634

Post#49 » by Mak » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:09 pm

Its hilarious how people think they know better than people who spent 30 years coaching, doing it pretty much everyday for those 30 years.
bobbyp3588
Senior
And1: 514

Post#50 » by bobbyp3588 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:22 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
720 wrote:He’s great for the tank. Let’s keep him for a couple more years.

Yeah, he seems like a decent hire now in that a coach who can develop young players and take on a ton of losses and didn't cost much makes sense. Then you probably fire him in 2027 or so and replace him with someone as sharp as Nurse when the team is ready to be good with Barnes and 2/3 top 10 picks around.

Or maybe he learns on the job, improves with experience and is that sharp coach we need when we’re ready to be good. It’s amazing how everyone is already assuming he’s a lame duck.

I’ll go out on a limb right here and now and predict that the next playoff game we win will be Darko’s first playoff victory as a head coach. He’s going to be here for awhile.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#51 » by Ado05 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:25 pm

He's the tank commander.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,689

Post#52 » by sbsat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:30 pm

Listening to multiple reaction podcasts after the spurs fiasco not one is questioning anything about this head coach. I am not understanding this at all, I've never seen anything so obvious in my life, this is not an NBA head coach.
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#53 » by grimlock » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:33 pm

Pop slowly building the culture on his losing team. His players play hard, but find ways to lose because they're young. That's ok.. cause they're put in positions to succeed, run good plays, and play hard defense. They look prepared and tend to be in games until the end. They just don't win because they aren't experienced enough.

Darko's team however is put in a position to lose right off the tip. Constantly down 15-20 after a quarter and a half. They look poorly prepared on the offensive and defensive end. Worse off.. they look demoralized and are not enjoying the game at all.

This is NOT how you lose games.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,345

Post#54 » by God Squad » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:38 pm

While losing this season doesn't bother me, like at all. I have to admit Darko isn't very good so far. You know how we knew Nurse was a good play caller and strategist. (Particularly ATOs)

I see none of that from Darko.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,329

Post#55 » by ciueli » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:47 pm

bobbyp3588 wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:
720 wrote:He’s great for the tank. Let’s keep him for a couple more years.

Yeah, he seems like a decent hire now in that a coach who can develop young players and take on a ton of losses and didn't cost much makes sense. Then you probably fire him in 2027 or so and replace him with someone as sharp as Nurse when the team is ready to be good with Barnes and 2/3 top 10 picks around.

Or maybe he learns on the job, improves with experience and is that sharp coach we need when we’re ready to be good. It’s amazing how everyone is already assuming he’s a lame duck.

I’ll go out on a limb right here and now and predict that the next playoff game we win will be Darko’s first playoff victory as a head coach. He’s going to be here for awhile.

We're never a playoff with Darko as our head coach, I am absolutely certain of that. He might not get fired at the end of the season but he should be because he's the worst head coach we've had since Kevin O'Neill. And I say this as someone who literally hasn't complained about a head coach being bad since KO ruined our team with his horrible grind it out defence first system, Darko is doing the same type of thing with his "everybody must pass 100% of the time" system. This Spurs game is just the proof of it, even bad teams get crazy steals and runouts for easy dunks and layups because our team is oversharing the ball, this will only get worse as more teams scout us.

The worst part of all is that our team is now being built around this Darko international basketball .5 system where every player has to be a passer, that means ignoring players in the draft that are really good iso scorers but lack the passing gene (see: Gradey Dick over Cam Whitmore). We've seen Masai do this "concept" team building before with the vision 6'9" thing and this new "everybody pass" concept will probably turn out to be about as successful as that was.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 3,009

Post#56 » by Merit » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:48 pm

JB7 wrote:
Merit wrote:
JB7 wrote:The other problem with Darko is the expectations all the core players have of a coach. Think of who the last coaches these guys had before Darko:
- Scottie: Nurse
- RJ & IQ: Thibs
- Yak: Nurse & Pops

The game plans and in game management coming from those guys were way more advanced than what Darko is putting together, which further destroys their confidence in him.

Maybe you could say something about game management, since we’re all armchair GM’s. Game plans? Not sure. I’m sure you’ll argue that you can tell because they’re not executing but I think a lot of it can just be chalked up to development. Let’s see how they respond next game. This one was truly a stinker.

Pops and Nurse were championship coaches. Thibs has turned around so many teams. Clearly they are excellent and experienced coaches, so I think it would be safe to say they are stronger at game plans and in game management than Darko.

The point of the comment is context. That is what those players just experienced, and therefore their expectations are probably much higher.

Good thing for the next coach, the starting point of comparison for the players will now be Darko.

Again, you have no idea of how things are internally. You’re focusing on results after a short period of time. Are you also the person who gives up after going to the gym once?
I believe in Masai.
TheAlchemist23
Rookie
And1: 1,589

Post#57 » by TheAlchemist23 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:53 pm

Quickley has been getting worse and worse the longer he's been here. :noway:

I haven't seen any in-season development (besides Gradey getting out of his terrible shooting).
Raptorland23
Junior
And1: 371

Post#58 » by Raptorland23 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:03 pm

I would like to see us move on from Darko this offseason, sure you could say it doesn't matter because we are supposedly tanking and rebuilding anyways but you can't develop without player accountability and without a system that is geared to win, even if you are losing. I know in the woke softy world your supposedly not allowed to question speech but like it or not his broken English and European background is part of it, the league and players are not in a position yet where European broken English head coaches are widely accepted by NBA players.

It's clear to me and privately I have heard that several players have already tuned him out, don't take him seriously and do not believe in his system, which ultimately means respect is not there.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#59 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:17 pm

I think they should give Jordy a chance.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,868

Post#60 » by rapstarter » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:18 pm

sbsat wrote:Listening to multiple reaction podcasts after the spurs fiasco not one is questioning anything about this head coach. I am not understanding this at all, I've never seen anything so obvious in my life, this is not an NBA head coach.

Speaking of Spurs, Popovich, arguably the GOAT, has looked like a joke in the last few years. Not saying lack of talent should be an excuse for everything, but it IS a major factor for how a coach looks in the NBA.

Return to Toronto Raptors