ImageImageImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon says Scottie Barnes when asked about "guy miscast in role as star who might excel as the ultimate glue guy"

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

will
RealGM
And1: 50,035
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Re: Aaron Gordon says Scottie Barnes when asked about "guy miscast in role as star who might excel as the ultimate glue 

Post#41 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 5:03 pm

Indeed wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
will wrote:
I see Immanuel being the better scorer. He's really good at getting to the line and hitting his FT. Compared to RJ, he is way more consistent with the 3 ball.

It's more than that, RJ improved his efficiency a ton by cutting out the midrange but the problem is that the midrange is practically unavoidable for a lead scorer. Someone has to take the tough shots at the end of the day.

Or we can agree that none of our guys would be efficient being the #1 option. Unsure how much room we have on defense either.
Looking forward to 2025 top 5 picks, I think it is more deep.

Someone will end up being the #1 option. Yeah, not so sure about the efficiency component :lol: :lol:

We had enough people beating the drum of those previous #1a and #1b options, so....that's likely to continue until there is an actual efficient go-to guy that is suiting up for the Raptors.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,337

Re: Aaron Gordon says Scottie Barnes when asked about "guy miscast in role as star who might excel as the ultimate glue 

Post#42 » by brownbobcat » Thu May 16, 2024 5:08 pm

Indeed wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
will wrote:
I see Immanuel being the better scorer. He's really good at getting to the line and hitting his FT. Compared to RJ, he is way more consistent with the 3 ball.

It's more than that, RJ improved his efficiency a ton by cutting out the midrange but the problem is that the midrange is practically unavoidable for a lead scorer. Someone has to take the tough shots at the end of the day.

Or we can agree that none of our guys would be efficient being the #1 option. Unsure how much room we have on defense either.
Looking forward to 2025 top 5 picks, I think it is more deep.

In all likelihood, I agree - I hope I'm wrong and guys improve, obviously, but the outlook isn't great. As an aside, I was checking out Brunson's midrange splits and holy crap was he ever a monster there, even in Dallas. Over 50% from 10-16ft during 2020-22, amazing for a PG
will
RealGM
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#43 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 5:08 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
will wrote:
tdotrep2 wrote:if you squint this comp makes sense. But it falls apart when you realize scottie can play make at an elite level and glue guys just finish what the playmakers generally start. You don't see Aaron gordon attacking to draw help and hit open guys.

Well...we did when Aaron was the go-to guy in ORL. Ended poorly. Hell, it never really worked. Hence, they traded him and got better. Aaron ended up on a 'chip squad where he is a glue guy. Win/win, I say.

The thing is that there are 10-15 non all-star guys in the league that you could plug instead of Gordon on the Nuggets and produce similar results:

I'm very confident that OG, Brooks, Barrett, Wiggins, Portis, Isaac, Hachimura, Collins, Cameron Johnson etc etc. would have similar or even better overall production playing next to Joker.

Tough to tell when it comes to chemistry. Aaron fits in very well. In reality.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,121

Post#44 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:12 pm

will wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:
will wrote:
Well...we did when Aaron was the go-to guy in ORL. Ended poorly. Hell, it never really worked. Hence, they traded him and got better. Aaron ended up on a 'chip squad where he is a glue guy. Win/win, I say.

The thing is that there are 10-15 non all-star guys in the league that you could plug instead of Gordon on the Nuggets and produce similar results:

I'm very confident that OG, Brooks, Barrett, Wiggins, Portis, Isaac, Hachimura, Collins, Cameron Johnson etc etc. would have similar or even better overall production playing next to Joker.

Tough to tell when it comes to chemistry. Aaron fits in very well. In reality.

Yeah but it's not hard to fit when you are playing with the one of the best facilitators of all time in Jokic.

Heck, Bruce Brown was barely in the league a couple years ago and got paid handsomely after playing next to Jokic.

Look at what happened to guys like Monte Morris, Will Barton and Bones Hyland after they left Denver.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,195

Post#45 » by Potential » Thu May 16, 2024 5:13 pm

Lol "glue guy"

I'd agree with him if this past season never happened and we were coming off of Scottie's subpar sophomore year. Scottie is already a star in year 3 and is better than Gordon ever was. Now imagine how much better he's going to get and how good he'll be in his prime.

Read on Twitter
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,496

Post#46 » by tdotrep2 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:13 pm

Scottie's never gonna be that goto guy down the stretch, it's not his game. But can he be a guy you can build a large part of your offence around? I believe so, he's just going to need an elite release value who can get you the tough bucket.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,054

Post#47 » by kalel123 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:20 pm

We've seen what Barnes can do. Aaron Gordon was smoking crack when he said that. Barnes is light years ahead of guys like Gordon who was a bit of a bust to his draft position.

We definitely do need another star(s) or superstar to play alongside Barnes but that's like saying sky is blue cause it's true for any star in this league; Nobody can do it alone. So not sure why some people speak like this is such a huge problem unique to Raptors/Barnes.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 855

Post#48 » by disoblige » Thu May 16, 2024 5:25 pm

I think Barnes has the work ethic and desire to become a star/superstar. Bosh, Demar, TMac and Lowry took many years to become a star.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,455

Post#49 » by Morse Code » Thu May 16, 2024 5:25 pm

So many fans in denial. It's why you don't want to tank. Gordon is right

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,474

Post#50 » by Dalek » Thu May 16, 2024 5:30 pm

I love this. Scottie needs to hear the doubters and use this as fuel. He just isn't a role player/glue guy. You look at the clutch scoring and knack he has for carrying the team and it is obvious Scottie can be more than a complimentary piece.

The trouble I have is Scottie has an 'off switch' and can be quiet for stretches of a game. But when he locks in he is a Kawhi-like player. If Scottie wants to be the best, he can definitely get there if accepts who he is.

Gordon was always a role guy and not as capable a scorer. He only developed a jumper and defended well in Denver but it took Jokic and Denver's coaching staff to coax it out of him.
will
RealGM

Post#51 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 5:31 pm

Potential wrote:Lol "glue guy"

I'd agree with him if this past season never happened and we were coming off of Scottie's subpar sophomore year. Scottie is already a star in year 3 and is better than Gordon ever was. Now imagine how much better he's going to get and how good he'll be in his prime.

Read on Twitter

We talking Elmer's glue? Or the glue that some people sniff? Or a child's glue stick?
will
RealGM

Post#52 » by will » Thu May 16, 2024 5:32 pm

Dalek wrote:I love this. Scottie needs to hear the doubters and use this as fuel. He just isn't a role player/glue guy. You look at the clutch scoring and knack he has for carrying the team and it is obvious Scottie can be more than a complimentary piece.

The trouble I have is Scottie has an 'off switch' and can be quiet for stretches of a game. But when he locks in he is a Kawhi-like player. If Scottie wants to be the best, he can definitely get there if accepts who he is.

Gordon was always a role guy and not as capable a scorer. He only developed a jumper and defended well in Denver but it took Jokic and Denver's coaching staff to coax it out of him.

Scorer's are scorer's. That is their mentality. Just like a rebounder. Either you have it or your don't. Doesn't just all of a sudden appear.

Will be incredibly elated with Scottish averaging 20 or less, and being an absolute monster in other aspects of the game.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#53 » by Dalek » Thu May 16, 2024 5:33 pm

I do think that ultimately Aaron Gordon is looking at things from the lens of playing with the best player in basketball. Once he saw his own skill compared to that of Jokic, it is like you see the league as having 2-4 superstars and a bunch of role players who surround them.
sofargone
Starter
And1: 1,663

Post#54 » by sofargone » Thu May 16, 2024 5:37 pm

he has all the positive traits of guys like draymond And gordon, both went out their ways to compare themselves to him as well. obv scottie ceiling is higher but i see the comparison

however i do wish he was as explosive as gordon
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,933

Post#55 » by Senbonzakura » Thu May 16, 2024 5:38 pm

Potential wrote:Lol "glue guy"

Read on Twitter

Is he a star? Not even 20ppg in the modern game where like 30 guys are over that. League average efficiency if that. Negative net rating, sub .100 WS/48. He's a really good player, but I think building as if he's gonna be the franchise cornerstone will not bear fruit for us.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,933

Post#56 » by Senbonzakura » Thu May 16, 2024 5:40 pm

disoblige wrote:I think Barnes has the work ethic and desire to become a star/superstar. Bosh, Demar, TMac and Lowry took many years to become a star.

Bosh, DeMar and Lowry were never good enough to be the best player on a championship team. Imo Scottie is in that bracket.

We need someone better than him and we need them through the draft. A tank next season is CRITICAL or this team is going nowhere.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,444

Post#57 » by YogurtProducer » Thu May 16, 2024 5:40 pm

disoblige wrote:I think Barnes has the work ethic and desire to become a star/superstar. Bosh, Demar, TMac and Lowry took many years to become a star.

Bosh, Demar, and Lowry were never real stars either though. Great players, but none were true #1 guys.

Barnes is likely headed down that same path (just the reality of how 99% of NBA players end up)
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Dalek
RealGM

Post#58 » by Dalek » Thu May 16, 2024 5:52 pm

will wrote:
Dalek wrote:I love this. Scottie needs to hear the doubters and use this as fuel. He just isn't a role player/glue guy. You look at the clutch scoring and knack he has for carrying the team and it is obvious Scottie can be more than a complimentary piece.

Scorer's are scorer's. That is their mentality. Just like a rebounder. Either you have it or your don't. Doesn't just all of a sudden appear.

Will be incredibly elated with Scottish averaging 20 or less, and being an absolute monster in other aspects of the game.

He averaged 24/10/6 in December and then Masai traded his best friends and gutted the team. I think him stalling in January and February was more of a product of adjusting to defensive attention and to new teammates. It is a pretty huge change to happen mid season and I think Barnes was processing how to help the others fit. RJ Barrett was more than happy to take the extra touches.

I do agree with you that he should be a monster on the defensive end and aim for NBA Defensive teams, but he is more than an OG Anunoby type. He is capable of being a +23 PPG scorer. It is just mentality for him.
ArthurVandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,022

Post#59 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu May 16, 2024 5:57 pm

I hope Scottie just takes the diss and throws another motivation log on the fire.

It should be burning really bright and hot by now.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,807

Post#60 » by Badonkadonk » Thu May 16, 2024 5:58 pm

Whatever. I've seen some people STILL describe Jokic (of all people!) as not an "alpha" or trying to quantify him in some hierarchical 1-2-3 option even after all he's shown and accomplished.

Every player is different, every team is different and how players come together on those teams will also vary. People get way too hung up on labels.

Return to Toronto Raptors