ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Do you want to keep or convey the pick?

Keep the pick
44%
Convey the pick
39%
Don’t care
17%

Total votes: 136

will
RealGM
And1: 49,985
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#601 » by will » Sun May 12, 2024 10:24 pm

causal_fan wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:Masai got fleeced. The trade isn’t as bad as what Grunwald, Colangelo, Babcock but it’s probably among the worst 10 trades in franchise history.

We downgraded our 2023 FRP, lose our 2024 FRP, lose FVV, lose Nurse, gave up Siakam for very little, missed 2 straight playoffs in exchange for Poeltl. Terrible.

Perhaps - What if the Raptors pick at 19 turns out better than the Spurs pick at 8 and/or the Raptors eventually trade Poeltl for a player/pick better than whom the Spurs pick at 8 this year?

What if Masai didn't deal for Yakub and ended up with Victor?
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,451

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | ABC TSN4 SNET1 

Post#602 » by Morse Code » Sun May 12, 2024 10:24 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Tripod wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
We gonna tank next year!

I bet we don't tank.

Raptors were the 7th worst team all year when they weren't tanking. Not sure where this irrational confidence comes from that we can be much better with a similar roster. Other teams young players improve just like the Raptors players will...
Facts it's very strange to me. Same mentality that lead us to trade for Poeltl in the first place. Over valuing our own guys

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM Forums mobile app
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,278

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#603 » by MiamiSPX » Sun May 12, 2024 10:25 pm

I hated the trade with a passion, but I am over it. I don't mind his play, and I don't mind his contract.

One thing I do hope though, is that he shows up ready to go this season, already in shape. He's a high character guy so it was a little disappointing that he showed up out of shape after inking an 80M contract. Did not expect that from him.

He looked good prior to going down with injury, was probably playing his best ball of the season.

I was in the camp that wanted to keep the pick because we need talent badly. But I do see the positive in conveying. No more of this "pick watching" nonsense. Now we can finally move forward with a clean slate.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,473

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | ABC TSN4 SNET1 

Post#604 » by Mikistan » Sun May 12, 2024 10:28 pm

Morse Code wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Tripod wrote:I bet we don't tank.

Raptors were the 7th worst team all year when they weren't tanking. Not sure where this irrational confidence comes from that we can be much better with a similar roster. Other teams young players improve just like the Raptors players will...
Facts it's very strange to me. Same mentality that lead us to trade for Poeltl in the first place. Over valuing our own guys

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Its not because people are overly confident in our guys its because of the ownership and market.
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,476

Post#605 » by TRik » Sun May 12, 2024 10:28 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
TRik wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:Masai got fleeced. The trade isn’t as bad as what Grunwald, Colangelo, Babcock but it’s probably among the worst 10 trades in franchise history.

We downgraded our 2023 FRP, lose our 2024 FRP, lose FVV, lose Nurse, gave up Siakam for very little, missed 2 straight playoffs in exchange for Poeltl. Terrible.

Top ten is being generous. Top five…top three worst is more like it.

VC trade is worst ever. Grunwald made some terrible ones. Camby for Oakley and two FRPs for Kevin Willis. Colangelo’s Jermaine O’Neil trade was awful. I’d say the Poeltl is likely in the 5-10 range.

The O’Neil trade was bad. I have some forgiveness for the Camby trade though because he was clearly trying to force his way out, so at least they made the trade and got back a solid leader. VC trade I’m still confused by, but yeah bad. I’m still taking at least 5th worst for the Poeltl trade…because nobody was forcing Masai’s hand.
‘Silly rabbit’
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,298

Post#606 » by Reeko » Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm

Bummed because we never should have traded for
Poeltl in the first place. On the other hand we ripped the band aid off this year and we’re set to have a lotto pick next year in a much better draft.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,985
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#607 » by will » Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm

TRik wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
TRik wrote:
Top ten is being generous. Top five…top three worst is more like it.

VC trade is worst ever. Grunwald made some terrible ones. Camby for Oakley and two FRPs for Kevin Willis. Colangelo’s Jermaine O’Neil trade was awful. I’d say the Poeltl is likely in the 5-10 range.

The O’Neil trade was bad. I have some forgiveness for the Camby trade though because he was clearly trying to force his way out, so at least they made the trade and got back a solid leader. VC trade I’m still confused by, but yeah bad. I’m still taking at least 5th worst for the Poeltl trade…because nobody was forcing Masai’s hand.

There was NO confusion about the VC trade.

VC was demanding his way out.
Babcock had no leverage and was at the mercy of VC.

It was full out panac. That was the definition of panac :lol: :lol:

Edit: Before panac was even a thing on this board :lol: :lol:
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,476

Post#608 » by TRik » Sun May 12, 2024 10:35 pm

Reeko wrote:Bummed because we never should have traded for
Poeltl in the first place. On the other hand we ripped the band aid off this year and we’re set to have a lotto pick next year in a much better draft.

Don’t jinx it…I fear Masai is still at risk of doing a dumb win now move for next year.
‘Silly rabbit’
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,469

Post#609 » by tdotrep2 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:36 pm

Reeko wrote:Bummed because we never should have traded for

hey, maybe give memphis a call and see if they would do 9 for jak
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,276

Post#610 » by Chandan » Sun May 12, 2024 10:39 pm

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Chandan wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:no one here is surprised you think this.

well yeah because that's what everyone thinks, except for a few delusional individuals.

lol why so triggered...could it be because a play in team today won the lottery

Good thing Atlanta didn't trade away their first round pick without protection. :lol:
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,956

Post#611 » by ForeverTFC » Sun May 12, 2024 10:41 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:
That's why I'm saying...there's a chance he stay but ujiri will take a payout if he does

Unless tim comes calling

He probably joins Larry and the Kilmer group. Masai is gone the moment Ed gets control of the board.

Wnba doesn't pay a lot

Ujiri most likely goes to Las vegas

I think Larry want to buy an EPL team. Also, while he has said his sale to to OMERS was for estate planning, it did put an $8b price tag on MLSE which should only go up by the time the ‘26 option comes up.

My hope is that Larry is somehow positioning to either maintain his stake or better yet, somehow wrestle the Raptors away from MLSE in ‘26. If not, he leaves in ‘26 with >$2b to go buy something else. Masai’s deal is aligned with when the ‘26 option comes.

At that time, Masai will also get a massive check as his contract gives him a share in the appreciation of the Raptors franchise value. Recall that he reportedly turned down a deal that included 3% stake in the Wizards + a larger total contract value to stay here. Something tells me he and Larry have plans either way.
twiggy2
Rookie
And1: 417

Post#612 » by twiggy2 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 pm

I was thinking it would be cool too move up. I'm glad to convey the pick since I doubt topic would fall to 6
links135
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,340

Post#613 » by links135 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:46 pm

will wrote:
causal_fan wrote:

Perhaps - What if the Raptors pick at 19 turns out better than the Spurs pick at 8 and/or the Raptors eventually trade Poeltl for a player/pick better than whom the Spurs pick at 8 this year?

What if Masai didn't deal for Yakub and ended up with Victor?

What if we're all already dead and this is all just a dream
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,133

Post#614 » by Potential » Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 pm

Look at our beloved Scottie. Heading home in peace. He quietly got the **** up out of there and ran straight to the plane

_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,300

Post#615 » by _MidNight_ » Sun May 12, 2024 10:54 pm

Sam Vecenie just finished a mock draft after the lottery results... Very interesting listen and reasoning behind all the picks.
What really got me was pick 16 to Philly which they didn't give a reason for and said Philly won't keep the pick and tossed in Collier. I believe if they do they are very very likely to pick Da Silva here as Harris is done in Philly.. Which means one of Collier, Carrington, Missi, and Tyler Smith could be in play. Who do you think Masai would select if the board looks like this and those are our options at 19?
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,607

Post#616 » by Scase » Sun May 12, 2024 10:56 pm

causal_fan wrote:

I'm going to say this until I'm blue in the face, but here we go.

The player picked is not relevant to the trade being good or bad. Picks have inherent value before a player is ever selected. Otherwise you could just go offer the Bucks 3 SRPs for Giannis cause "You never know, if you draft the next Jokic you guys will totally win this trade".

A bad trade is a bad trade, getting lucky on a pick doesn't negate that.
Props TZ!
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,232

Post#617 » by HumbleRen » Sun May 12, 2024 11:04 pm

TRik wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:Masai would gladly get fired and keep his entire pay with him lol.

Naw, let his ass fix his mess, he ain’t going anywhere.

You and I have had this conversation before Humble….i want to believe Masai still has it in him to fix this but my confidence in that has been waning more and more as time goes on.

My faith is completely gone in him knowing when to pivot and trade with leverage but I still have faith in him to rebuild/retool and draft quality talent.

It took him forever but he finally let the championship core go, now he can do what he does best. Well hopefully.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#618 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:04 pm

MoneyBall wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:I wouldn't trade the 8th pick for Poeltl.

But I also wouldn't trade Poeltl for the 8th pick.

My brain can't make sense of this.

I would definitely trade poeltl for the 8th pick

Just curious, in your opinion, what number is he worth in this draft? Would you trade Poeltl for 10? 13? 20?

14-30
basketballto
Ballboy
And1: 37

Post#619 » by basketballto » Sun May 12, 2024 11:11 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
causal_fan wrote:

Doesn’t matter. It’s like making the wrong move in poker but still winning. The trade for Poeltl was awful. We completely overpaid and got worse.

Results don't matter to you? What matters is how a trade looks on a certain day? The Spurs already wasted a second round pick on nobody. The latest Mock draft has
Dalton Knecht SG going in the 8th spot. I'd rather have an average tall center in their prime then a slow no defense scorer.

This is a great day. We got a tall average nba center for an overpaid rookie and saved our pick. If we won the lottery we would have needed to pay a huge rookie contract for a guy who normally would be paid much less in a normal draft year.

Let the Spurs keep Dalton Knecht. I want a shot next year.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,667

Post#620 » by djsunyc » Sun May 12, 2024 11:11 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
Raptors_128 wrote:MLSE has every right to question why they are paying Masai so much money. It’s been a disaster and most of his moves have been mind boggling.

That's why I'm saying...there's a chance he stay but ujiri will take a payout if he does

Unless tim comes calling

i know hyperbole is the name of the game but the raptors won a title and the value of the franchise is still skyrocketing under his watch. so disaster is definitely not the right word.

Return to Toronto Raptors