ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Do you want to keep or convey the pick?

Keep the pick
44%
Convey the pick
39%
Don’t care
17%

Total votes: 136

Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,312

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#661 » by Tripod » Mon May 13, 2024 2:13 am

causal_fan wrote:If the Raptors decide to tank the next 2 seasons, whom of Barnes/Quickley/Barrett is likely to ask out.

We are not tanking ANY seasons, let alone the next 2.

Go worry about something else
Supermann98
Assistant Coach
And1: 648

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#662 » by Supermann98 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:14 am

causal_fan wrote:If the Raptors decide to tank the next 2 seasons, whom of Barnes/Quickley/Barrett is likely to ask out.

Knowing our luck Barnes
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,256

Post#663 » by SurgeIblocka » Mon May 13, 2024 2:16 am

Fk Siakam for messing with a trade to Atlanta. We could have been sitting at #1. Instead we got the po po platter from Indy.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,926

Post#664 » by bape_lovers » Mon May 13, 2024 2:27 am

Only Wagner for Orl seem to pan out for last 20 plus years

Lord_Zedd wrote:Just saw the results, and lol

If there's any sort of solace in losing out on the 8th pick, for whatever reason the 8th pick in the NBA draft is cursed.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/8th-overall-draft-picks-nba

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#665 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 13, 2024 2:33 am

SurgeIblocka wrote:Fk Siakam for messing with a trade to Atlanta. We could have been sitting at #1. Instead we got the po po platter from Indy.

The Hawks weren't going to be bad enough to get the #1 overall pick if we made that trade.

More importantly, they couldn't trade their 2024 pick due to the Stepien Rule. You'd be looking at the Kings 1st (deferred to 2025) and maybe a 2030 1st way down the line.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,058

Post#666 » by NotMyKawhi » Mon May 13, 2024 2:36 am

Tripod wrote:

We are not tanking ANY seasons, let alone the next 2.

Go worry about something else

You're lost buddy. Worst team in the league after the trades.

Grizz and spurs will be better than us. We aren't good enough
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,273

Post#667 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Mon May 13, 2024 2:36 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Good thing Atlanta didn't trade away their first round pick without protection. :lol:

embarrassing day for the pro-tankers today...at least the smart ones were in hiding

You’re working pretty hard to spin this, but fwiw any ‘tanker’ with half a brain would have been seriously opposed to the trade and its anti-tanking principles. After that it was a debate about whether to lose it now or later, and as far as I could see it was fairly mixed. Loling about tanking after a short-sighted win-now trade results in a disaster is like those people saying the solution to school shootings is teachers with guns.

i've been pretty consistent on this trade.
in isolation, the trade was fair and fine. but in context when the team was 7th or 8th worst, it made more sense to lean into getting a high pick by tanking.
having said that, in hindsight, tanking would've gotten us the 3rd pick at best if we could've beat out the blazers in the tank spot, which I'm highly skeptical on. that means scoot who has been very underwhelming as a rookie;
this year, our tanking gambit failed and we gave up our pick; obviously this draft process still has to play itself out but I highly doubt that poeltl will be worse than all of 8 top players picked in this draft.
tanking would've failed us last year and it did fail us this year.
my post is aimed at those who think tanking is the cure of all the ills of this team.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,047

Post#668 » by artsncrafts » Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 am

Anyone find it really weird the way they announced it? Like why not say "San Antonio by way of raptors" instead of just "San Antonio" it was very confusing at the time for someone who didnt do the math prior to the draft to see where san antonio could possibly pick with their own pick.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,818

Post#669 » by ConSarnit » Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 am

Scase wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
Scase wrote:Definitely not the guy on a 250+mil contract, definitely not the guy who JUST re-signed to a new 4 year, and probably not the guy who is only seen as a good player now that he plays here.

Y'all are so fickle.

No one pays any attention. RJ asks out? Whatever shall we do?! Quickley ask out? Since when does a non-all star ever have that leverage?

Then there is Barnes. At the end of 2 years from now he’ll have just ended the first season of his new deal. Here’s the earliest any star has ever asked out: Kyrie after the 2nd year of his max deal. So the earliest anyone has ever asked out, 2 years into their max deal, IS THE BIGGEST HEADCASE OF ALL TIME. Call me crazy but I think we’ll have a little more leeway with Barnes.

Yeah, I dont get what the pearl clutching is about. RJ is not a player you sacrifice an entire team rebuild over....you know, much like Jak/Siakam/FVV aren't either. We've seen how that turned out.

IQ would have zero reason either, he'll be well paid and we'll have his bird rights. I would imagine players would rather leave a team clearly mired in mediocrity. 2 bad years to improve long term? Yeah I don't see anyone crying.

The worries don’t make sense at this point.

Barnes and Quickley are both restricted. Even if Barnes eventually wants out that type of pressure doesn’t mount until there is 2 years left on their post-rookie max. That is 3-4 years from now. Quickley doesn’t have that type of leverage.

And the threat of these guys asking out only happens if the team is bad. So why would the team be bad? If Barnes and Quickley aren’t both all-stars. So then we’ll have guys asking out who aren’t even good enough to carry us anywhere in the first place?

If Barnes and Quickley both become really good we’ll be a good team and they won’t want out. If they don’t develop the team isn’t going anywhere anyways so we’ll probably need to blow it up.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#670 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Mon May 13, 2024 2:40 am

bape_lovers wrote:Only Wagner for Orl seem to pan out for last 20 plus years

Lord_Zedd wrote:Just saw the results, and lol

If there's any sort of solace in losing out on the 8th pick, for whatever reason the 8th pick in the NBA draft is cursed.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/8th-overall-draft-picks-nba

lol i forgot araujo was the 8th pick...still remember the reaction from the espn crew.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,408

Post#671 » by JB7 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:41 am

artsncrafts wrote:Anyone find it really weird the way they announced it? Like why not say "San Antonio by way of raptors" instead of just "San Antonio" it was very confusing at the time for someone who didnt do the math prior to the draft to see where san antonio could possibly pick with their own pick.

I didn’t watch it. Did Barnes seem confused then because the Raps name was not mentioned?
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#672 » by DelAbbot » Mon May 13, 2024 2:42 am

ConSarnit wrote:
basketballto wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
Doesn’t matter. It’s like making the wrong move in poker but still winning. The trade for Poeltl was awful. We completely overpaid and got worse.

Results don't matter to you? What matters is how a trade looks on a certain day? The Spurs already wasted a second round pick on nobody. The latest Mock draft has
Dalton Knecht SG going in the 8th spot. I'd rather have an average tall center in their prime then a slow no defense scorer.

This is a great day. We got a tall average nba center for an overpaid rookie and saved our pick. If we won the lottery we would have needed to pay a huge rookie contract for a guy who normally would be paid much less in a normal draft year.

Let the Spurs keep Dalton Knecht. I want a shot next year.

Who could forget about the results! All of that Poeltl-led success!

Oh wait, we have a grand total of 1 play-in game LOSS as our “success” with Poeltl.

Why do people treat this like all the trade cost us was the 8th pick this year?

2023: late season push with Poeltl cost us 6-7 draft slots. Instead we got an embarrassing loss to the Bulls in the play-in

2024: completely lost a top 10 pick

2025: keeping Poeltl probably makes us a mediocre team next year when we should be bad. That will probably cost us another 6-7 draft slots.

Three years with Poeltl, likely zero playoff appearances BUT completely forfeited a lotto pick and probably a dozen or so draft slots. How the f*ck is any of that “results”?

We traded for a guy who has helped us win jack sh*t AND hurt our draft prospects during a time when we should have been rebuilding.

Masai doesn't want a rebuild-from-draft, he just wants to have some collection of young talent and let them grow, REGARDLESS of the ceiling of that collection - he either believes all ceilings are unlimited or that you can add to that ceiling incrementally. You are describing the Presti model of rebuilding - and Masai isn't doing it.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,047

Post#673 » by artsncrafts » Mon May 13, 2024 2:44 am

JB7 wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:Anyone find it really weird the way they announced it? Like why not say "San Antonio by way of raptors" instead of just "San Antonio" it was very confusing at the time for someone who didnt do the math prior to the draft to see where san antonio could possibly pick with their own pick.

I didn’t watch it. Did Barnes seem confused then because the Raps name was not mentioned?

They didnt show Barnes, but as they said "with the 8th" pick Spurs i was trying to do the math, there was no mention of the Raptors aside from "if Raptor's pick is not top 6 it conveys to the spurs" was at the bottom the whole draft. BUT we dont know where the Raptors pick was instantly because it just said "Spurs" with no mention of Raptors. Took like 45 seconds for it to compute that was the Raptors pick. :lol:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#674 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Mon May 13, 2024 2:47 am

artsncrafts wrote:
JB7 wrote:

They didnt show Barnes, but as they said "with the 8th" pick Spurs i was trying to do the math, there was no mention of the Raptors aside from "if Raptor's pick is not top 6 it conveys to the spurs" was at the bottom the whole draft. BUT we dont know where the Raptors pick was instantly because it just said "Spurs" with no mention of Raptors. Took like 45 seconds for it to compute that was the Raptors pick. :lol:

same here haha. i kinda got a little excited but then realized the spurs pick was the raps pick and not their own.
in the past, they've announced the original team and then made a commentary of being transferred to the other team.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#675 » by ConSarnit » Mon May 13, 2024 2:48 am

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:embarrassing day for the pro-tankers today...at least the smart ones were in hiding

You’re working pretty hard to spin this, but fwiw any ‘tanker’ with half a brain would have been seriously opposed to the trade and its anti-tanking principles. After that it was a debate about whether to lose it now or later, and as far as I could see it was fairly mixed. Loling about tanking after a short-sighted win-now trade results in a disaster is like those people saying the solution to school shootings is teachers with guns.

i've been pretty consistent on this trade.
in isolation, the trade was fair and fine. but in context when the team was 7th or 8th worst, it made more sense to lean into getting a high pick by tanking.
having said that, in hindsight, tanking would've gotten us the 3rd pick at best if we could've beat out the blazers in the tank spot, which I'm highly skeptical on. that means scoot who has been very underwhelming as a rookie;
this year, our tanking gambit failed and we gave up our pick; obviously this draft process still has to play itself out but I highly doubt that poeltl will be worse than all of 8 top players picked in this draft.
tanking would've failed us last year and it did fail us this year.
my post is aimed at those who think tanking is the cure of all the ills of this team.

It’s not just Poeltl for the 8th. It’s moving down 6-7 draft slots last year. It’s completely losing the 8th pick this year. It’s (probably) moving down draft slots again next season.

Just looking at the balance sheet:

No Poeltl trade:

2023: 5th/6th overall pick
2024: 8th overall pick
2025: 4th/5th overall pick

With Poeltl trade:

2023: 13th pick
2024: no pick
2025: 11th(?) pick

ZERO PLAYOFF WINS

That’s pretty terrible considering the benefits Poeltl was supposed to provide (playoff wins) currently stands at zero and our draft equity has suffered in the mean time. It’s literally the worst of all worlds. We’re going to have paid Poeltl for 3 full years with him having actively harmed our long term outlook (not that Poeltl is a bad player).
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#676 » by DelAbbot » Mon May 13, 2024 2:48 am

artsncrafts wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Silver is trying to send a message for that blatant tank job to end the season
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,276

Post#677 » by Chandan » Mon May 13, 2024 2:50 am

ConSarnit wrote:
basketballto wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
Doesn’t matter. It’s like making the wrong move in poker but still winning. The trade for Poeltl was awful. We completely overpaid and got worse.

Results don't matter to you? What matters is how a trade looks on a certain day? The Spurs already wasted a second round pick on nobody. The latest Mock draft has
Dalton Knecht SG going in the 8th spot. I'd rather have an average tall center in their prime then a slow no defense scorer.

This is a great day. We got a tall average nba center for an overpaid rookie and saved our pick. If we won the lottery we would have needed to pay a huge rookie contract for a guy who normally would be paid much less in a normal draft year.

Oh wait, we have a grand total of 1 play-in game LOSS as our “success” with Poeltl.

2023: late season push with Poeltl cost us 6-7 draft slots. Instead we got an embarrassing loss to the Bulls in the play-in

2025: keeping Poeltl probably makes us a mediocre team next year when we should be bad. That will probably cost us another 6-7 draft slots.

Three years with Poeltl, likely zero playoff appearances BUT completely forfeited a lotto pick and probably a dozen or so draft slots. How the f*ck is any of that “results”?

We traded for a guy who has helped us win jack sh*t AND hurt our draft prospects during a time when we should have been rebuilding.

Gtfo here with your here "narratives" :lol:
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#678 » by ConSarnit » Mon May 13, 2024 2:51 am

DelAbbot wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
basketballto wrote:

Masai doesn't want a rebuild-from-draft, he just wants to have some collection of young talent and let them grow, REGARDLESS of the ceiling of that collection - he either believes all ceilings are unlimited or that you can add to that ceiling incrementally. You are describing the Presti model of rebuilding - and Masai isn't doing it.

I’m not describing anyone’s method, I’m describing exactly what happened. I’m taking massive issue with someone claiming we’ve seen “results” from the Poeltl trade.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,408

Post#679 » by JB7 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:05 am

ConSarnit wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

I’m not describing anyone’s method, I’m describing exactly what happened. I’m taking massive issue with someone claiming we’ve seen “results” from the Poeltl trade.

Yak has only been back for 1 season and a bit (third of a season). And in the one full season he was hurt for a third of it, and the team traded 2 of its 3 best players.

But what is the teams record with him in the lineup?
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,205

Post#680 » by Johnny Bball » Mon May 13, 2024 3:20 am

Scase wrote:

Definitely not the guy on a 250+mil contract, definitely not the guy who JUST re-signed to a new 4 year, and probably not the guy who is only seen as a good player now that he plays here.

Y'all are so fickle.

First off the hypocrisy is pretty standard, but this level of it is really something.

And yeah, players never sign new contracts then ask for a trade, its not at all the standard way of moving now :roll:

Do you even follow this sport?

Return to Toronto Raptors