ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,302

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#701 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:If we are looking at players to guard multiple positions then Risharcher/Holland/Buzelis/C.Willaims are all in play, & I wanted to go big wing. One of those should be available at 6, 2 of them should be available at 4.

I'm warming up to Holland at little bit more..

Holland very worthy of going 6th.

Holland is by no. 2 behind Sarr. Buzelis, Castle, and Risharcher are my next options; I don't want the small guards like Reed if we land top 4.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,940

Post#702 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 pm

MEDIC wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been skeptical of Dunn as a high pick, but in the late teens to 20s he's a potential steal. I don't see star level upside unless he has another two gears of skill development like Pascal, but his floor is already high as a defensive stopper and all he has to do is develop a catch and shoot three and you have an elite 3 + D player to replace OG. Forget about adding anything else to his game. You lock him in the gym and make him shoot till he can consistently shoot 37% or better from three. Any other skills he adds are just a bonus.

I like the idea of Dunn with the Pacers pick more than I like the idea of Castle/ Holland/ Cody Williams with a top 6 pick.

Dunn is a more fluid athlete than OG & has better handles. His shooting mechanics looks.OK as well. If he could be OG lite on defense as a point of attack defender & Scottie lite as a help defender, then that's pretty solid pick in the late teens. We need a player like that.

How can you not like Holland. Hybrid 3-4. Just 18. Already has a year of pro experience. He already has national team experience as a 5 star recruit. He has a high ceiling. Two way player.

He just finished a season playing with Norris Cole in the G league age 18.

"“He’s a dog,” said Norris Cole, a former two-time NBA champion with the Miami Heat and a current Ignite reserve.

“Playing hard and having a motor is a skill and I’d say that’s his top skill. He could be a potential max player because of how hard he plays and works.”

I could Holland being a Raptors pick for sure.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,942

Post#703 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:I've been skeptical of Dunn as a high pick, but in the late teens to 20s he's a potential steal. I don't see star level upside unless he has another two gears of skill development like Pascal, but his floor is already high as a defensive stopper and all he has to do is develop a catch and shoot three and you have an elite 3 + D player to replace OG. Forget about adding anything else to his game. You lock him in the gym and make him shoot till he can consistently shoot 37% or better from three. Any other skills he adds are just a bonus.

I like the idea of Dunn with the Pacers pick more than I like the idea of Castle/ Holland/ Cody Williams with a top 6 pick.

Dunn is a more fluid athlete than OG & has better handles. His shooting mechanics looks.OK as well. If he could be OG lite on defense as a point of attack defender & Scottie lite as a help defender, then that's pretty solid pick in the late teens. We need a player like that.

How can you not like Holland. Hybrid 3-4. Just 18. Already has a year of pro experience. He already has national team experience as a 5 star recruit. He has a high ceiling. Two way player.

"“He’s a dog,” said Norris Cole, a former two-time NBA champion with the Miami Heat and a current Ignite reserve.

“Playing hard and having a motor is a skill and I’d say that’s his top skill. He could be a potential max player because of how hard he plays and works.”

I like him too

His shot mechanics aren’t broke either
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 252

Post#704 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:52 pm

Using this classification framework, which players from this draft would you categorize into each of these roles:

Total Package Scorers (Jayson Tatum, Luka Doncic, Anthony Edwards)
Switchable Defenders (OG Anunoby, Mikal Bridges, Matisse Thybulle)
Jumbo Creators (Lonzo Ball, LaMelo Ball, Cade Cunningham)
Floor Spacing Guards (Landry Shamet, Gary Trent Jr, Desmond Bane)
Utility Forwards (Saddiq Bey, Scottie Barnes, Herb Jones)

SOURCE: https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/looking-for-what-works-the-weekend

For the 2024 draft, which prospects could fit into each of these archetypes:

TPS - Ja'Kobe Walter, Isiah Collier, Trey Alexander
SD - Ron Holland, Devin Carter, Ryan Dunn, Dillon Jones
JC - Nikola Topic, Stephon Castle, Carlton Carrington, Kyshawn George, Jaylon Tyson
FSG - Reed Sheppard, Antonio Reeves, Rob Dillingham, Jared McCain, Cam Spencer, Mark Sears, KJ Simpson, Pelle Larsson, Kam Jones, Hunter Sallis, Dalton Knecht, RJ Davis
UF - Matas Buzelis, Cody Williams, Tyler Smith, Tristan daSilva, Oso Ighodaro, Ulrich Chomche, Kwame Evans

Do you agree/disagree? Any players I missed that you'd put on your list?
DRAFT BOARD:

G: Ja'Kobe Walter, Bub Carrington, AJ Johnson, Trey Alexander, Cam Christie
F: Tidjane Salaun, Trentyn Flowers, Kyshawn George, Michael Ajayi, Jaylen Wells
C: Ulrich Chomche, Kel'el Ware, Kyle Filipowski, Yves Missi, Adem Bona
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,302

Post#705 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 pm

dohboy_24 wrote:Using this classification framework, which players from this draft would you categorize into each of these roles:

Total Package Scorers (Jayson Tatum, Luka Doncic, Anthony Edwards)
Switchable Defenders (OG Anunoby, Mikal Bridges, Matisse Thybulle)
Jumbo Creators (Lonzo Ball, LaMelo Ball, Cade Cunningham)
Floor Spacing Guards (Landry Shamet, Gary Trent Jr, Desmond Bane)
Utility Forwards (Saddiq Bey, Scottie Barnes, Herb Jones)

SOURCE: https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/looking-for-what-works-the-weekend

For the 2024 draft, which prospects could fit into each of these archetypes:

TPS - Ja'Kobe Walter, Isiah Collier, Trey Alexander
SD - Ron Holland, Devin Carter, Ryan Dunn, Dillon Jones
JC - Nikola Topic, Stephon Castle, Carlton Carrington, Kyshawn George, Jaylon Tyson
FSG - Reed Sheppard, Antonio Reeves, Rob Dillingham, Jared McCain, Cam Spencer, Mark Sears, KJ Simpson, Pelle Larsson, Kam Jones, Hunter Sallis, Dalton Knecht, RJ Davis
UF - Matas Buzelis, Cody Williams, Tyler Smith, Tristan daSilva, Oso Ighodaro, Ulrich Chomche, Kwame Evans

Do you agree/disagree? Any players I missed that you'd put on your list?

I mean... those TPS guys are the most sought after types of talent and why teams tank, so I don't think we have any in this draft (which is why many consider this draft weak). I am not sure Walter, Collier, and Alexander are closer to top tier talent (Collier has a bit of chance I guess). If I really squint my eyes, I would say Holland is the closest to be that TPS (if he improves his 3 point shot). Knecht may be there as well?
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 252

Post#706 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
I mean... those TPS guys are the most sought after types of talent and why teams tank, so I don't think we have any in this draft (which is why many consider this draft weak). I am not sure Walter, Collier, and Alexander are closer to top tier talent (Collier has a bit of chance I guess). If I really squint my eyes, I would say Holland is the closest to be that TPS (if he improves his 3 point shot). Knecht may be there as well?

Agreed. For the last draft, the author suggested Cam Whitmore and Keyonte George as players who fit the TPS role so it's not always going to be a can't miss prospect among the top 3-6 picks in the draft, but a player who could one day fill such a role during their career like SGA, Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray, Devin Booker, Zach LaVine, Giannis, Klay, Jimmy Buckets, Kawhi, or PG13.
DRAFT BOARD:

G: Ja'Kobe Walter, Bub Carrington, AJ Johnson, Trey Alexander, Cam Christie
F: Tidjane Salaun, Trentyn Flowers, Kyshawn George, Michael Ajayi, Jaylen Wells
C: Ulrich Chomche, Kel'el Ware, Kyle Filipowski, Yves Missi, Adem Bona
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#707 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:41 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:If we are looking at players to guard multiple positions then Risharcher/Holland/Buzelis/C.Willaims are all in play, & I wanted to go big wing. One of those should be available at 6, 2 of them should be available at 4.

I see a righty RJ Barrett, Holland playmaking skills are underrated or untapped as well. He's not a point-fwd ala Scottie, but he won't be a black hole either imo.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,102

Post#708 » by mihaic » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:13 pm

grant101 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:We are only getting a top 4 pick or giving it up completely. Very low odds it stays at 6

I would say this year's draft specifically the top 10 isn't all that strong compared to last year for example. Quality is much less

Don't mind giving it to SAS cuz I dont think we will get that much of impact other than Sarr but we'd probably have to win # 1 to draft him

It is what it is at this point

Agreed. It's a sunk cost, made a little more palatable because of how stacked next year's draft is. IMO, worst case is we stay at #6. By that point in the draft, there's a very high likelihood that whoever our front office covets has already been taken, and there are very few top picks with a decent combination of certainty of outcome, and all-star potential.

I hope we get a top 4. But even if it's 6th we would choose based on current hype one of Sarr Risacher Castle Holland Topic Sheppard Clingan in no particular order. Could still be a decent player in my opinion, based on the super limited video I watched so far.

I'd prefer we keep the pick because I have no confidence we make the playoffs next year. One or two injuries and we're done and tanking, not enough depth imo. Rebuild will take another 2 years imo.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,152

Post#709 » by Risk101 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:15 pm

A lot of scouts calling Topic a walking red flag.

People don’t respect his jump shot and he’s a liability defensively.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,627

Post#710 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:39 pm

Psubs wrote:Giannis grew from like 6'9 without shoes to 6'11 without shoes and that allowed him to dunk from anywhere. Also he got stronger. Right now Chomche is 6'11 in shoes so around 6'9-6'10 without shoes. We'll have to wait for the combine official measurements. He's 18 1/3 years old. If he's able to grow 1 more inch he'll have the same combination as Giannis. He has a 7'4 wingspan and shoots the 3 and FT's already much better than Giannis.

If we're just talking about physical measurements then sure there MAY be a comparison to make in the FUTURE but right now he's not only not that size now but more importantly again, he does NOT have Giannis' LEVEL of SPEED nor the ability to drive downhill which yes Giannis has had since day 1 but he's only obv gotten better at that as he's gotten more refined and of course larger overall. Chomche hasn't shown that ability at all which goes to your next comment...

The Hakeem and Embiid comps are ceilings but why can't he surpass them? I big fat 7' kid drafted in the middle of the 2nd round has surpassed them. Embiid grew into his frame and really grew to MVP calibre and Chomche has all the tools.

Again both of those bigs are obviously EXTREMELY skilled for their size. BOTH Hakeem & Embiid shown plenty of FLASHES of that SKILL before they entered the league hence why Hakeem went 1st over Jordan & why Embiid only didn't go 1st due to injury concerns. There's also reason why Ulrich is not in that same conversation and ironically when you later go on to say he may be better than Malauch why you're incorrect. Malauch is being projected in the top 3 of his draft because UNLIKE Chomche, he as well shown FLASHES of having skilled footwork and shooting ability for his size as they did. If I'm wrong you gotta find me the footage of Chomche doing the things those guys did at college age because I'm not seeing it...

Also there was a video I posted where the guy pointed out his soccer background footwork and able to get down in the stance and guard on the perimeter. He at least seems as nimble as Tyler Smith.

If Masai doesn't select Chomche with the Pacers pick, I really don't know why he's bothering with the Giants of Africa.

Chomche has shown that he might be better than Khaman Malauch (who started in the Nike Hoops Summit), who may be bigger like a Zach Edey/Donovan Clingan mix but Chomche might be the better prospect.

Looking at the future with Maluach, Wemby, Chet, I don't think that Clingan, Edey, Ware, Missi, Tyler Smith would have a better go at guarding them than Chomche.

This is where I'm not in disagreement and why I like Chomche too with one of our picks because I do agree that he has the potential to be one of the best rim protectors in the league with the names you mentioned. But I just think you're REALLY overselling his offensive potential with no real basis for it. The only thing UC has shown is he MAY be able to stretch the floor...more along the line of a Myles Turner, that can pick & pop but is fairly limited overall in his offensive ability. Unless you've seen footage I haven't seen, I'm not sure why you're so convinced he can make such a dramatic leap other than just blind optimism.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
PhilBlackson
RealGM

Post#711 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 pm

Risk101 wrote:A lot of scouts calling Topic a walking red flag.

Personally I'm not a huge Topic fan. Not saying he'll be a bad player but I don't like the sound of a guard that can't shoot. There are very few non-shooting guards that work long term as a starter nevermind turn out to be a star.

DreamTeam09 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

I see a righty RJ Barrett, Holland playmaking skills are underrated or untapped as well. He's not a point-fwd ala Scottie, but he won't be a black hole either imo.

Holland actually reminds me a bit of Mathurin with less shooting touch but better shot creation/ball handling, passing ability and faster overall. I think Holland has shown better ability to create off the dribble than RJ did, both guys can go downhill but I think Ron has shown more ability to pull up off the dribble. He also looks like a way better defender than either of RJ or Mathurin. I haven't watched enough of Holland but I've heard he is actually a really good defender and from the highlights he looks like he has the potential to be OG-like, physically strong & fast enough to stay with most players 1 through 4. I'd love to draft Holland, he's prob my 2nd favorite (very slightly behind MB) well ahead of Williams or Castle (who are also players I would be fine with lol just like the Ignite Boyz more).

If we got a player like Holland I think we'd have a very fun time watching those guys develop together (although long term, I hate to say it but it would probably make RJ a trade chip so we could move Gradey into the starting lineup to better balance things).
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,401

Post#712 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:56 pm

I think he is the riskiest highly touted prospect in this draft. Here is what I have heard and read:

-Little history of successful euro PGs in recent times
-Knee injury in January and no one has seen him on court since.
-Inconsistent three point shot
-Tends to do jump passes
-Fairly vanilla passer
-Zero dunks this past season
-Low defensive effort
-Doesn't look 6'6 with a 7ft wingspan

I do think there is merit, I also think he made a major leap every year and playing the Euroleague is special for such a young player. Basically, he has such rare feel and bball IQ and aggressiveness, and he officially measured out 6'6 with a 7ft wingspan, so there is a lot to be excited about. The Hardwood Hoops guy posted the long video which shows the good and bad:

MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,037

Post#713 » by MEDIC » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:34 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:I've been skeptical of Dunn as a high pick, but in the late teens to 20s he's a potential steal. I don't see star level upside unless he has another two gears of skill development like Pascal, but his floor is already high as a defensive stopper and all he has to do is develop a catch and shoot three and you have an elite 3 + D player to replace OG. Forget about adding anything else to his game. You lock him in the gym and make him shoot till he can consistently shoot 37% or better from three. Any other skills he adds are just a bonus.

I like Holland. There are just others that I am more interested in for the top 6.

A big thing for me will be Hollands measurements. I have read various opinions on his actual height. If he measures out as a legit 6'8", then then that changes some things. If he measures 6'6", I think I'd lean towards Castle.

Holland is a player that could easily rise during the combine & draft workouts if he measures favorably.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 548

Post#714 » by CazOnReal » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:14 am

Of the most commonly named players in the Top 6 the Raptors could choose from, Topic is by far the worst fit. He's not the player I have the most negative feelings towards as a prospect (Rob Dillingham's defense is embarrassing) but he is the one where I struggle the most to see his fit in the starting lineup.
PhilBlackson
RealGM

Post#715 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:25 am

MEDIC wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

I like Holland. There are just others that I am more interested in for the top 6.

A big thing for me will be Hollands measurements. I have read various opinions on his actual height. If he measures out as a legit 6'8", then then that changes some things. If he measures 6'6", I think I'd lean towards Castle.

Holland is a player that could easily rise during the combine & draft workouts if he measures favorably.

I'm not saying it sarcastically but what if that's true but Castle also measures out to be closer to 6'4??

Because he reminds me a lot of Keon Johnson physically (who's 6'3). With Castle not only does he lack a jumper but has a reluctance to shoot it as a guard. IMO he MUST be 6'5+ at minimum or his game is going to struggle at the next level. I LOVE the toughness & dog attitude Castle plays with (as does Holland) but if he's on the smaller side as a SG, I don't think he has the level of athleticism to make up for it as Holland might (who also just does look taller/longer than Steph).

My guess is each guy will measure out at least an inch shorter than stated. Like they'll be 6'4.5 & 6'6.75 or something like that lol so they'll be very close to their stated measurements in shoes. I just worry about any guard that can't shoot & doesn't have the athleticism to help get easier buckets. I also think Holland will offer greater defensive versatility and like Darko is now on record of saying, the team needs more length to defend more positions. I think Holland's combination of athleticism & length gives him the slight edge over Castle for me but I'd be happy to have either.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#716 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:06 am

Dalek wrote:

I think he is the riskiest highly touted prospect in this draft. Here is what I have heard and read:

-Tends to do jump passes
-Fairly vanilla passer
-Low defensive effort

I do think there is merit, I also think he made a major leap every year and playing the Euroleague is special for such a young player. Basically, he has such rare feel and bball IQ and aggressiveness, and he officially measured out 6'6 with a 7ft wingspan, so there is a lot to be excited about. The Hardwood Hoops guy posted the long video which shows the good and bad:

Topic will go top 3 to SA is my best guess. If we convey it then is entirely possible SA gets a top 3 and the number 7. SA could leave the draft with Topic and Holland. :argue: If that happens and we circle back to the Pacers pick we must hope for Collier, Edey, Da Silva or Carter. A lemonade haul plan B for me would be Collier at 17 and at #31 6'10" Trevon Brazile an Arkansas junior who has a 7'3" wingspan. Shoots a nice spot up 3, leaps out of the gym, inhales boards and gives depth at power forward at 21 years old.

But Holland, Collier and Brazile works even better.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,827

Post#717 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:09 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Dalek wrote:

-Tends to do jump passes
-Fairly vanilla passer
-Low defensive effort

Topic will go top 3 to SA is my best guess. If we convey it then is entirely possible SA gets a top 3 and the number 7. SA could leave the draft with Topic and Holland. :argue: If that happens and we circle back to the Pacers pick we must hope for Collier, Edey, Da Silva or Carter. A lemonade haul plan B for me would be Collier at 17 and at #31 6'10" Trevon Brazile an Arkansas junior who has a 7'3" wingspan. Shoots a nice spot up 3, leaps out of the gym, inhales boards and gives depth at power forward at 21 years old.

But Holland, Collier and Brazile works even better.

I’m guessing San Antonio will luck into 2 top 10 picks and trade one for a package surrounding Trae Young. Then they can focus on finding a wing in the draft, like Holland.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#718 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:13 am

BTW the Topic clip has him playing with Teodesic, Joel Bolonboy and... and... and... Freddie Gillespie! I really miss 10 day end of season Freddie II. Then he stunk up Summer league and got cut in Raptors camp. Nice to see him earning a living.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,920

Post#719 » by Thaddy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:19 am

Topic doesn't look like he'll be able to score against NBA centers. That's concerning considering it is his supposed "strength".
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,401

Post#720 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:45 am

Thaddy wrote:Topic doesn't look like he'll be able to score against NBA centers. That's concerning considering it is his supposed "strength".

Well Euroleague is much more crowded in the paint, they zone up and I don't believe three in the key is even called. Topic will have more space to operate in the NBA, but I do see how the defenders are just another level higher in the NBA. I also realize he isn't blazing fast/quick twitch, but he knows how to use angles to get to the rim and draw contact (.329 FTR) while also shooting 88% from the line.

That said, I don't really have a handle on where he gets drafted because his outcome is unclear. You watch the film and he doesn't wow you with any one skill. I could see him around at pick 16-19 even.

Return to Toronto Raptors