ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Do you want to keep or convey the pick?

Keep the pick
44%
Convey the pick
39%
Don’t care
17%

Total votes: 136

Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#701 » by Hottie McShotty » Mon May 13, 2024 8:08 am

8th overall pick plus two 2nd round picks for Poeltl who had little impact. Terrible trade. Front office has lost their edge.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,874

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery | TODAY! @3pm EST | Update: Raptors Convey 8th Pick to Spurs 

Post#702 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 am

JB7 wrote:So if your the Spurs, do you want two top 10 picks in this draft, or do you think they would have preferred another FRP pick in the 2025 or 2026 draft?

Raps FO played this as well as they could have, considering everything that happened this year.

Tanking for a better chance at a high pick made sense once Scottie went down, but again it is a chance, and they probably had light protections on the pick this year because they didn’t want to retain a 7-10 pick in this draft, and then give up a decent pick in either the 2025 or 2026 draft.

And I still think the trade for Yak was worth giving up this pick. The Raps are pitiful without a competent C. They could not have signed Yak as a FA, because they only had the MLE available, and Yak wanted $20M. Yak was going to sign with whatever team held his rights, and Boston was interested in Yak. So if Raps didn’t trade for him, the Celtics probably would have acquired him.

What other competent C could the Raps have acquired for less than this pick?

Spurs would likely have been better off delaying the pick, but it's better this way because there's no cover for Masai's collosdal blunder.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,276

Post#703 » by Chandan » Mon May 13, 2024 9:10 am

metafisical wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
metafisical wrote:
Sorry, why was it embarrassing for the pro-tankers (like me) today?
We stunk in 2022-23 and we stunk even more in 2023-24. Are anti-tankers happy about the last two seasons?

If it's because this years pick got conveyed, there was always the possibility of that. Nothing embarrassing about that. Did I want to pick to be conveyed? Nope, but nothing to be embarrassed about.

Personally I hope we absolutely stink next season...until we don't.

He's referencing Atlanta, the play-in team, winning the lottery.

My question still stands. What's so embarrassing about that from a pro-tankers point of view? There's a higher probability of getting a great pick if you are a bottom 3 team. Is it definite? Nope. But when we suck, I would rather the team really suck and when we're good, I want us to over-achieve.

Nothing embarrassing at all if things don't go our way.

I am still hoping for a #1 pick 3 seasons In a row. I would consider it an achievement worthy of celebration if we are a bottom 3 team for the next 3 seasons and win the #1 pick 3 times in a row. Think of all the good that would come with it.

Lol don't think much of it. He just said that to rile people up. He was being proven wrong every minute of last season and nothing he says have any leg to stand on. This is just his way of coping by acting like a fool and saying silly things.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,276

Post#704 » by Chandan » Mon May 13, 2024 9:14 am

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Probably 22-23 wins out of 50 games. We won 2 games after Barnes and him went down back to back or the same game can't remember. Give or t

36-40 actually since he joined. Directly in treadmill land, chefs kiss.

Yak’s impact seems to be greater than you would think of a player of his skill level, but it is precisely because they have no other player that can perform that role on the team.

Without him, their record is horrible. With him it is decent. He is not going to turn them into a contender, that is what BBQ’s development would potentially do. But he makes them relevant, and creates a baseline from which the roster can build off.

Pretty much. He's still a true center after we've had the likes of Baynes and birch in recent years.

It's still a crappy acquisition because the timing, the cost, and the fit didn't make sense. Its still better than playing Boucher at the 5 or something with him out there.

However, people are reaching when they want to justify his existence, like how our younger players need to learn to play with a true center.
Playing with a non-spacing/non-elite shot blocking center is like playing 2000s basketball in the 2020s.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,746

Post#705 » by DG88 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:13 am

causal_fan wrote:If the Raptors decide to tank the next 2 seasons, whom of Barnes/Quickley/Barrett is likely to ask out.

None. There will be a couple of reasons for this. If the FO is prioritizing development over competing they're going to be up front with their main guys on what the plan is. As long as there is buy-in they won't ask out.

On top of this both IQ and Barnes are about to get paid this summer. IQ with a new deal and Scottie with a rookie max extension that won't kick in until 25/26 season. I doubt he's going to throw a fit knowing he's about to get paid big money. RJ would also be up for an extension along with playing at home.

Again as long as the FO is up front with them on the plan moving forward and there's buy-in they won't cause a fuss. This was the same approach Sam Presti had with Shai.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,950

Post#706 » by nikster » Mon May 13, 2024 11:14 am

Chandan wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:36-40 actually since he joined. Directly in treadmill land, chefs kiss.

Yak’s impact seems to be greater than you would think of a player of his skill level, but it is precisely because they have no other player that can perform that role on the team.

Without him, their record is horrible. With him it is decent. He is not going to turn them into a contender, that is what BBQ’s development would potentially do. But he makes them relevant, and creates a baseline from which the roster can build off.

Pretty much. He's still a true center after we've had the likes of Baynes and birch in recent years.

It's still a crappy acquisition because the timing, the cost, and the fit didn't make sense. Its still better than playing Boucher at the 5 or something with him out there.

However, people are reaching when they want to justify his existence, like how our younger players need to learn to play with a true center.
Playing with a non-spacing/non-elite shot blocking center is like playing 2000s basketball in the 2020s.

Nah I think Poeltl is fine. He's a least an elite finisher around the rim and if your big is not a shooter a good passer at the position still makes an impact offensively.

Several playoff teams are still running non 3pt shooting bigs. Knicks, Cavs and Heat in the East, Wolves, Clippers, Mavs, Pelicans, Kings, Clippers out west.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,012

Post#707 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon May 13, 2024 11:44 am

DG88 wrote:
causal_fan wrote:If the Raptors decide to tank the next 2 seasons, whom of Barnes/Quickley/Barrett is likely to ask out.

None. There will be a couple of reasons for this. If the FO is prioritizing development over competing they're going to be up front with their main guys on what the plan is. As long as there is buy-in they won't ask out.

On top of this both IQ and Barnes are about to get paid this summer. IQ with a new deal and Scottie with a rookie max extension that won't kick in until 25/26 season. I doubt he's going to throw a fit knowing he's about to get paid big money. RJ would also be up for an extension along with playing at home.

Again as long as the FO is up front with them on the plan moving forward and there's buy-in they won't cause a fuss. This was the same approach Sam Presti had with Shai.

Shai was definitely unhappy with losing and being forced to sit out. He played partial seasons, too. Since Toronto already burned a 'tank' year this year with nothing to show for it, I don't think they can just do this two more times without major noise. Masai certainly wouldn't survive it.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,677

Post#708 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:50 am

nikster wrote:
Chandan wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Nah I think Poeltl is fine. He's a least an elite finisher around the rim and if your big is not a shooter a good passer at the position still makes an impact offensively.

Several playoff teams are still running non 3pt shooting bigs. Knicks, Cavs and Heat in the East, Wolves, Clippers, Mavs, Pelicans, Kings, Clippers out west.

A lot of these guys talk about basketball with such rigid stereotypical principles/philosophy it's like why & how is that enjoyable. How do you learn if you're not open to new ideas or counterpoints

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,964

Post#709 » by Anticon » Mon May 13, 2024 11:52 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really not sure what prioritizing development means here.

The Raps have four starters penciled in, who will be impactful enough to produce a bunch of wins. Most likely on the outside of the play in. Likely a top 8-12 pick.

Only real scenario for a top pick is getting lucky like Atlanta did. But that doesn't normally happen with them. So only other avenue is injuries.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,817

Post#710 » by OakleyDokely » Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 am

I'm just glad this is over, and we can look forward to 2025 with control of our pick. It sucks to lose the pick, but hitting on 19 or 31 will take some of the sting away.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,746

Post#711 » by DG88 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:56 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
DG88 wrote:

Shai was definitely unhappy with losing and being forced to sit out. He played partial seasons, too. Since Toronto already burned a 'tank' year this year with nothing to show for it, I don't think they can just do this two more times without major noise. Masai certainly wouldn't survive it.

Sure he probably wasn't happy not being able to play but that narrative gained steam with this report https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10055345-nba-exec-keep-hearing-shai-gilgeous-alexander-frustrated-with-thunders-losing

It was all speculation based on an NBA executive who for all we know has no plug on the happenings of Shai and the OKC FO. At the end of the day it's all about transparency between the FO and their best player/s. Shai knew it was going to rough when he signed the extension with the Thunder but he still believed that the team wouldn't be bad for long. Look at the Thunder now since then.
steveholt
Junior
And1: 276

Post#712 » by steveholt » Mon May 13, 2024 12:01 pm

This might be a stupid question but why was Atlanta guaranteed a top 4 pick after the 10th pick was announced?
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,678

Post#713 » by sbsat » Mon May 13, 2024 12:10 pm

Conveying the pick caps off an incredible run of ineptitude from our front office. And i have been a staunch defender of them for a longtime
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#714 » by TorontoRapsFan » Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm

steveholt wrote:This might be a stupid question but why was Atlanta guaranteed a top 4 pick after the 10th pick was announced?

The lottery draw is to get one of the top four picks. Rest of the picks keep the order based on record. So when Hawks didn't get their name called for their position based on record it meant they had gotten one of the picks there was a draw for
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,749

Post#715 » by WuTang_OG » Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm

steveholt wrote:This might be a stupid question but why was Atlanta guaranteed a top 4 pick after the 10th pick was announced?

Once utah was announcdd at 10, they got bumped 2 spots. Those 2 teams houston(from brk) and ATL get auto in too 4
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#716 » by TorontoRapsFan » Mon May 13, 2024 12:17 pm

Chandan wrote:
metafisical wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
He's referencing Atlanta, the play-in team, winning the lottery.

My question still stands. What's so embarrassing about that from a pro-tankers point of view? There's a higher probability of getting a great pick if you are a bottom 3 team. Is it definite? Nope. But when we suck, I would rather the team really suck and when we're good, I want us to over-achieve.

I am still hoping for a #1 pick 3 seasons In a row. I would consider it an achievement worthy of celebration if we are a bottom 3 team for the next 3 seasons and win the #1 pick 3 times in a row. Think of all the good that would come with it.

Lol don't think much of it. He just said that to rile people up. He was being proven wrong every minute of last season and nothing he says have any leg to stand on. This is just his way of coping by acting like a fool and saying silly things.

I would reconsider tanking as a strategy after getting the worst record in the league and ending up with 5th pick.

Also, Detroit literally lost four draws at a top 4 pick :lol:
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,339

Post#717 » by Shakril » Mon May 13, 2024 12:23 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Chandan wrote:
metafisical wrote:

I would reconsider tanking as a strategy after getting the worst record in the league and ending up with 5th pick.

Dont bother. Tankers dont understand logic. It never makes sense to tank, its just gambling. I am happy that we conveyed the pick in a weak draft. We have a solid core, lets build upon it. Another season like the last one would only worsen the situation.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,985
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#718 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 12:24 pm

Shakril wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
Chandan wrote:

Dont bother. Tankers dont understand logic. It never makes sense to tank, its just gambling. I am happy that we conveyed the pick in a weak draft. We have a solid core, lets build upon it. Another season like the last one would only worsen the situation.

How do we know this is a weak draft? Come on now.
ShawnTO
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#719 » by ShawnTO » Mon May 13, 2024 12:32 pm

It's because of how the lottery odds are calculated for the 10th-place team. Once they cleared the 10th pick, they had to go top 4.

Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,339

Post#720 » by Shakril » Mon May 13, 2024 12:34 pm

will wrote:
Shakril wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:

How do we know this is a weak draft? Come on now.

We know cause the entire league is of that opinion. Everybody from Scouts, to FOs, Coaches and even Mascots are telling that.
Its called a Roleplayer Draft for a reason. Can there be one or two individuals who will be better than everybody thought? Yes of course they will be.
But it is far more likely to draft a Player that wont be better than a Roleplayer or even establish themselves in the League.

Return to Toronto Raptors