ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Leafs/NHL Thread

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Re: OT: Leafs Playoff Run 

Post#81 » by GQStylin » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:00 pm

Psubs wrote:And, the world Cup win and move on more than Playoff hockey. Really because 1 goal means so much more.

Soccer is BORING AS HELL 99% of the time even during the World Cup. The entire game barely anything happens for the majority of it and then every once in a while you get an exciting play or two. Why do you think soccer fans spend so much time singing and entertaining themselves much of game? Because little is happening on the field of play to get excited about for alot of the match. :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol:
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#82 » by GQStylin » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:07 pm

ruckus wrote:Is it safe to jump on the bandwagon?

With the Leafs? Its NEVER SAFE. Too much emotional heartbreak in recent years to ever feel 'safe' to cheer for them without having that neverending tiny thought in the back of your mind that no matter how well things seem to be going for the Leafs you can never fully believe in them like the way Bruins fans can believe in their team. Leafs have to keep proving to their fans that they can consistently play well and win to regain their trust.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#83 » by GQStylin » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:20 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Well, like I said, he assembled this team with the best players already in place. He adjusted, or was forced to concede. Doesn't really matter to me other than he wasted opportunities. 9 UFAs on this roster with not much to spend and Matthews/Nylanders UFA year just one season away. Their starting goalie is RFA. There are 5 total picks in the first 4 rounds of the next 3 seasons. He's paid through the nose just to build this team, so I don't mind holding him accountable for the playoffs this year.

This Leafs team is at a stage where it actually makes sense to sacrifice some of the future to bring in players that fix real or perceived weaknesses in the lineup and I think Dubas this year has done a pretty damn good job of it. He brought in alot of toughness and guys with backbone who can play and O'Reilly has been awesome as a guy who has won it all and can help lead the team when the going gets tough.

He's upgraded the lineup for relatively speaking not giving up too much of the future. A fair number of picks went out the door, but as we've seen from Dubas and his team already, they're able to find promising prospects in later rounds of the draft and they're also able to look around in other leagues in the world to find players and prospects that can help the team so that the draft isn't their only source for new players.

A few years ago the Leafs organization had few good prospects in their system because of such poor drafting and now they have a number of pretty decent ones if not really good ones to look forward to in the next few years.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,976

Post#84 » by Merit » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:47 pm

Potential wrote:
Dirk wrote:Explain the Leafs playoff run in Raptors terms.

The 19-20 Raptors go up 3-1 over the washed Bucks with hopes of finally winning a playoff round after 6 consecutive 1st round exits and several historic choke jobs.

I mean, what did the Raps do that year again? I'm staying free from the jinx though. Wishing everyone good things.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,976

Post#85 » by Merit » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:48 pm

GQStylin wrote:
ruckus wrote:Is it safe to jump on the bandwagon?

With the Leafs? Its NEVER SAFE. Too much emotional heartbreak in recent years to ever feel 'safe' to cheer for them without having that neverending tiny thought in the back of your mind that no matter how well things seem to be going for the Leafs you can never fully believe in them like the way Bruins fans can believe in their team. Leafs have to keep proving to their fans that they can consistently play well and win to regain their trust.

The playoff setup in the NHL is trash. Leafs can't get too far ahead of themselves. First they have to close out the series. Next, they have a historic Boston team to play against.
I believe in Masai.
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,683

Post#86 » by alevirfe » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:54 pm

happy for the Leafs, but absolutely hate Leafs fans

they lost game 1 and everyone and their mother was cursing them out

I get it given their history, but there's nothing I hate more than a bad fan

hoping the Leafs win in spite of their crappy fans. there's lots of factors that go into them not getting it done for so many years, and one of the factors is their **** fan base
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,075

Post#87 » by M3tro » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:02 pm

Brinbe wrote:Dubas is the last guy they should be firing. His moves have worked out perfectly, especially adding ROR/Acciari/Schenn and obviously Knies was his guy too. They've squeezed that cap to absolute limit.

If anything it'd be Keefe on the chopping block.

On paper this is a very good and deep Leaf team that isn't consistently playing to its level but you can somewhat get away with that in Hockey/Futbol just due to the games they are and the luck involved.

You just gotta hope they don't lay an egg at home like this core has done many times before.

Now will that inconsistent play cut it against the Bruins? Absolutely not. They need to be on their A-Game from the jump or they'll get caved in and scored on unlike an older tired Tampa team getting by on fumes. The Bruins are legit.

Anyway, as a Leaf fan stretching back to the early 90s and early 2000s teams, this team does have a bit of that edge to them that they've missed in past runs. Might not be Wendal/Dougie/Felix or Stumpy/Gary Roberts/Cujo but we've got some playoff heroes emerging in this group.

This is the best Leafs team since 93 imo.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,717

Post#88 » by SFour » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:27 pm

alevirfe wrote:happy for the Leafs, but absolutely hate Leafs fans

hoping the Leafs win in spite of their crappy fans. there's lots of factors that go into them not getting it done for so many years, and one of the factors is their **** fan base

Toronto sports fans in general are a double-edged sword
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,821

Post#89 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:45 pm

GQStylin wrote:
Psubs wrote:And, the world Cup win and move on more than Playoff hockey. Really because 1 goal means so much more.

Soccer is BORING AS HELL 99% of the time even during the World Cup. The entire game barely anything happens for the majority of it and then every once in a while you get an exciting play or two. Why do you think soccer fans spend so much time singing and entertaining themselves much of game? Because little is happening on the field of play to get excited about for alot of the match. :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol:

Just because goals aren't being scored doesn't meant that things "aren't happening" on the field. Soccer has just as much going on at any given moment as any other sport.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,821

Post#90 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:46 pm

After six straight years of first round exits, of course they were angry after that game 1 performance.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,262

Post#91 » by pingpongrac » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:51 pm

I mean, it's no different than some Raptors fans lol. Remember all of the overreactions after we lost G1 against the Magic in 2019?
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,100

Post#92 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:53 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Playoff hockey will always be significantly more entertaining than the NBA playoffs.

First round is typically better but the NBA destroys the NHL in overall playoffs. The NHL become a snooze fest after peaking in the first round while the NBA gets better and better. Though the finals have been a bit boring in recent years with one team being way better.

NBA finals has an arguement. Overall, the NHL playoffs are more entertaining. Heck, entertainment wise, I'll always place hockey above basketball.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,278

Post#93 » by Childs » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Are they serious?
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#94 » by mihaic » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:25 pm

Childs wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are they serious?

Responses are pretty good. I really liked the answer with the clip saying

"Not a damn thing"
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,278

Post#95 » by Childs » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:32 pm

mihaic wrote:
Childs wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are they serious?

"Not a damn thing"

Read on Twitter
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#96 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:18 pm

They only played good for like 1 game and one period so far but if they make the playoffs enough times I guess the luck might go their way. They just need another performance like Game 2 in one of next three games.

Does anyone have an opinion on who's most responsible for shutting down Tampa's big line? They look dead. And thanks to Jon Cooper for not splitting them four games in.

Also thank you Tampa for giving a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th at the deadline this year for someone named Tanner Jeannot instead of having O'Reilly or Klingberg or something.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,726

Post#97 » by C_Money » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:35 pm

mihaic wrote:
Childs wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are they serious?

"Not a damn thing"

WTF kind of answers are they expecting when they tweet this? Talk about being tone deaf to how the fans are feeling.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by GQStylin » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:32 am

Merit wrote:The playoff setup in the NHL is trash. Leafs can't get too far ahead of themselves. First they have to close out the series. Next, they have a historic Boston team to play against.

I wish they would go back to the 1 to 8 seeding where the best team faces the supposed worse team in the first round. I like when different teams face each other every year instead of knowing who you're going to play several months before the playoffs start.

Also lets see if the Leafs can finally put it away within these next 3 games against Tampa before we talk about anything else. Leafs fans have been burned so much that we need to SEE IT HAPPEN before we believe it. I have confidence that they can do it, but lets see them actually do it.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by GQStylin » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:40 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Just because goals aren't being scored doesn't meant that things "aren't happening" on the field. Soccer has just as much going on at any given moment as any other sport.

Sure things are happening, just for much of the game not many exciting things are happening in most matches. All you see is players kicking a ball around back and forth, a bunch of offsides and the worst thing of all people dropping like they've been shot everytime an opposing player touches them even a little bit.

Most cringe worthy thing is seeing a parade of players usually barely getting brushed or lightly tapped and then falling to the ground withering in 'pain' trying to draw a foul of some sort. How can anyone watch a sport like that where that kind of crap is accepted behavior? Just act like real men and get the hell up and keep playing the damn game unless you're genuinely injured.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by GQStylin » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:50 am

Tha Cynic wrote:First round is typically better but the NBA destroys the NHL in overall playoffs. The NHL become a snooze fest after peaking in the first round while the NBA gets better and better. Though the finals have been a bit boring in recent years with one team being way better.

NBA first round playoffs are a joke most of the time and its just a warmup round for the best teams to beat up on the weaker teams. I mean when was the last time you had a real upset in the 1st round where a top NBA team lost to a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs in a 7 game series? Rarely if ever.

As for later rounds, the NBA does get better because now they're usually facing opponents of closer to the same caliber, but still NBA playoffs don't and won't ever hold a candle to the NHL playoffs for the simple reasons of 1) upsets don't happen very often, 2) NBA refs can be biased as hell and they have too much influence on a game and 3) sudden death overtime NHL playoff hockey can NEVER be matched by anything else in sports.

Return to Toronto Raptors