ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 4

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,471

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 4 

Post#841 » by Dalek » Wed May 15, 2024 10:40 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
grant101 wrote:IMO Collier is one of the few players with star potential in this draft, and would fit in perfectly as someone charged with leading a second unit. I think a lot of folks that soured on him didn't catch his second half performances. He's a one man offence, and his passing vision is great (though perhaps a little too overly ambitious at this stage). I also believe in his shot long term.

Read on Twitter

Problem is, I just don't think he lasts till 19. If he's still on the board when Portland picks at 14, I'd be down with trading back from 31 (Portland has picks 34 and 40) to nab him.

Why are you big Collier? He's a little chunky and non-athletic to me. I am wary of players that might have weight problems.

Chunky is good for a guard - see how unstoppable Brunson is. Lowry at his best was on the thicker side too. Collier has a combo of speed and strength at 205 lbs that is rare for a guard. I don't really think he will have weight problems because Raps do generally have well-conditioned athletes who lead the league in minutes played most years. Honestly, I just think Collier has a football build that will help him with the physicality of the NBA. Most of the other PGs in this class are either small or light, or a combo of both.

On his bad side he could have played better defense and had less turnovers and shot better. He did trend upwards to wrap up his year post injury with 53/47/70 splits in March. I look at both college and high school and Collier is worth a lotto grade, but I do think people will talk themselves out of him at the draft because of the analytics.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,194

Post#842 » by PoundTown » Wed May 15, 2024 10:46 pm

Dalek wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
grant101 wrote:IMO Collier is one of the few players with star potential in this draft, and would fit in perfectly as someone charged with leading a second unit. I think a lot of folks that soured on him didn't catch his second half performances. He's a one man offence, and his passing vision is great (though perhaps a little too overly ambitious at this stage). I also believe in his shot long term.

Read on Twitter

Problem is, I just don't think he lasts till 19. If he's still on the board when Portland picks at 14, I'd be down with trading back from 31 (Portland has picks 34 and 40) to nab him.

Why are you big Collier? He's a little chunky and non-athletic to me. I am wary of players that might have weight problems.

Chunky is good for a guard - see how unstoppable Brunson is. Lowry at his best was on the thicker side too. Collier has a combo of speed and strength at 205 lbs that is rare for a guard. I don't really think he will have weight problems because Raps do generally have well-conditioned athletes who lead the league in minutes played most years. Honestly, I just think Collier has a football build that will help him with the physicality of the NBA. Most of the other PGs in this class are either small or light, or a combo of both.

On his bad side he could have played better defense and had less turnovers and shot better. He did trend upwards to wrap up his year post injury with 53/47/70 splits in March. I look at both college and high school and Collier is worth a lotto grade, but I do think people will talk themselves out of him at the draft because of the analytics.

Real Boom or Bust prospect this guy. A lot of people worried about the care level there, too. Interviews and workouts and the convincing/ compete level shown on both ends will play a part with him. But, you're right that he has legit star potential, but key word being "potential".
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,982

Post#843 » by Kevin Willis » Wed May 15, 2024 10:55 pm

grant101 wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think he's more wide than he is chunky. He's incredibly strong. A little like Harden in that respect. He's not a great vertical athlete, but he has a great first step and deceleration and gets into the paint at will. He is also very creative (perhaps too creative) once he gets there. He gets ragged on for his turnovers, but to me they show off his special vision. He actually reminds me a little of a flashier Brunson. Check out some of his tape from the latter half of the season. I'm not 100% he becomes a star (of course, that often depends on intangibles that are hard to gage), but I can see the outlines.

I will check out his latter half highlights - especially the Brunson comparison.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,899

Post#844 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed May 15, 2024 11:00 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Ware might be my guy at 19. He’s too enticing. Damn near 7 feet barefoot, 7’4” wingspan, still just 20…

59/42/63 shooting splits
16/10 with 2 blocks
8.5 BPM

If we’re swinging for the fences it’s between him and AJ Johnson for me at 19.

Yep, been saying this all along. I think Carter and McCain will absolutely be gone by then but I do like Holmes and Ware at #19 a lot.

Ware reminds me of Christian Wood
Flush
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#845 » by Flush » Wed May 15, 2024 11:03 pm

my biggest issue with Ware is effort/drive, which is something you can't really teach...he has all the potential in the world but if he doesn't have that drive it means nothing..I certainly hope I'm wrong if we end up drafting him
TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 939

Post#846 » by TNRaps4life » Wed May 15, 2024 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 44,168

Post#847 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 15, 2024 11:14 pm

Salaun good today
19/7
8/13 fg
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,043

Post#848 » by MEDIC » Wed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm

Mark_83 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Alex Karaban measured out very well at 6'6.5 with a 6'11 wingspan. Also posted really good stats in his second year:

31.4 MIN, 13.3 PPG, 5.1 REB, 1.5 AST, 0.9 ATL, 0.8 BLK, .495 FG, .379 3PT, 885 FT, .623 TS, 18.8 USG, 9.2 BPM

Hunter Sallis also measured well at 6'3.5 with a 6'9.75 wingspan.

35.4 MIN, 18.0 PPG, 4.1 REB, 2.5 AST, 1.1 STL, 0.6 BLK, .487 FG, .405 3PT, .783 FT, .596 TS, 24.9 USG, 7.1 BPM

Sallis is my dude. The guy was projected to be a lottery pick in his first two years but didn't develop as quickley as expected. He's one of the best, and most efficient shot-makers in the draft, and he's also a very good defender, and an elite athlete. Only thing he needs now is to get stronger so he can guard wings and not just guards.

;pp=ygUNaHVudGVyIHNhbGxpcw%3D%3D

I like that he significantly improved his 3 point shot from year 2 to year 3.

He looks like an NBA player.

I keep thinking to myself that they need a Josh Hart type player on this roster. This guy looks the part.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,019

Post#849 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 15, 2024 11:34 pm

TNRaps4life wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I am still high on Salaun
BoyzNTheHood
Head Coach
And1: 5,865

Post#850 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 15, 2024 11:47 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Ware might be my guy at 19. He’s too enticing. Damn near 7 feet barefoot, 7’4” wingspan, still just 20…

59/42/63 shooting splits
16/10 with 2 blocks
8.5 BPM

If we’re swinging for the fences it’s between him and AJ Johnson for me at 19.

Yep, been saying this all along. I think Carter and McCain will absolutely be gone by then but I do like Holmes and Ware at #19 a lot.

Ware reminds me of Christian Wood

I can’t argue with this, but I’m still enticed by him.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
BoyzNTheHood
Head Coach

Post#851 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 15, 2024 11:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=iDergfyDJveIq9pY2qCCBQ
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,736

Post#852 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:16 am

OakleyDokely wrote:The mock drafts have the Raps taking...

The Ringer: I Collier (19), T Flowers (31)
Tankathon: D Carter (19), R Dunn (31)
NBAdraft.net: C Carrington (19), H Sallis (31)
ESPN: K Filipowski (19), R Dunn (31)
Yahoo: T Smith (19), Z Edey (31)
Bleacher: K Filipowski (19), B Klintman (31)
Sporting News: D Carter (19), P Dadiet (31)
SI: T Smith (19), M Ajinca (31)
CBS: D Carter (19)
USA Today: Z Edey (19)
Vecenie: Y Missi (19)

Sporting news would be a dream come true
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 44,168

Post#853 » by WuTang_OG » Thu May 16, 2024 12:28 am

These mocks r gonna get crushed this year more than other years. I feel Raps go off the board at 19 if some guys dont fall
Flush
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#854 » by Flush » Thu May 16, 2024 12:40 am

To be fair this is probably the hardest draft year to mock lol
BoyzNTheHood
Head Coach

Post#855 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu May 16, 2024 12:53 am

Has Dink Pate’s situation been clarified as yet?
TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 939

Post#856 » by TNRaps4life » Thu May 16, 2024 1:38 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:Has Dink Pate’s situation been clarified as yet?

It doesn't matter anymore for us.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,652

Post#857 » by PhilBlackson » Thu May 16, 2024 1:49 am

TNRaps4life wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Has Dink Pate’s situation been clarified as yet?

It doesn't matter anymore for us.

Why?! He’d be an amazing pickup IF he were to fall that far which I’m very skeptic of. If you just mean we’re too far back then agreed. But if there’s someone on the roster you think would/should prevent drafting him then you’re on something lol

Should he be able to declare and somehow didn’t get drafted top 10, he could be THE steal of the draft. I’d try to trade Brown to get a higher pick if he’s in it. Out of all of the taller wings in this draft, I actually think Pate might have the highest ceiling. We get him I’d actually be pretty excited about things moving forward especially considering we’d still have our pick next year. He might be my top target in the draft if he can qualify.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,493

Post#858 » by TimeForChange » Thu May 16, 2024 2:02 am

not sure if the insider article was posted

Zach Edey, C, Purdue: Edey, ranked No. 14 in our Top 100, measured exceptionally well, as expected (299 pounds, 7-foot-5 in shoes, with a near 7-foot-11 wingspan and a 9-foot-7½ standing reach). Those were unprecedented figures that we learned at last year's NBA draft combine before Edey withdrew from the draft. But he also tested better than last year, shaving off time from last year's pro lane agility drill, and measuring a solid vertical leap and three-quarter-court sprint time, showing the significant improvement he has made with his conditioning and mobility since electing to return to Purdue for his senior season.

He also put on a pretty impressive showing in shooting drills, hitting 3s off movement, spotting up and pulling up off the dribble, showing some real potential in that area as he has long insisted he possesses. Edey has quite a few fans around the NBA at this point, and there are plenty of executives who say they have him ranked as a lottery pick, or even as a top-10 prospect because of how well he rates in their analytics models. -- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/page/NBADraft24-40145332/2024-nba-draft-combine-prospects-workout-highlights-measurements-stats-more

Spoiler:
The NBA's pre-draft season is in full swing as the league held its draft lottery Sunday, with the Atlanta Hawks moving up to grab the No. 1 pick, and there are more than 120 prospects in Chicago this week for the draft combine and agency pro days.

The G League camp got things going Saturday, and Monday marked the start of drills, measurements, athletic testing, medical examinations, team interviews and 5-on-5 scrimmaging at Wintrust Arena. On Tuesday, players took to the court for scrimmages and games.

NBA draft experts Jonathan Givony, Jeremy Woo, Bobby Marks and Jamal Collier recap the biggest takeaways from the combine, assess the prospects who are rising (or potentially falling) and address league reaction and news around the 2024 NBA draft, to be held June 26-27 in Brooklyn.

Takeaways | Who stood out? | Bronny's Day 2
Injury news | Hawks at No. 1

What's your biggest takeaway from Tuesday?

Givony: I was pleasantly surprised by the level of participation in the scrimmages. We heard that because the NBA made scrimmages voluntary for fringe first- and second-rounders, agents were considering advising their players not to participate. Instead, both combine games were littered with elite players and several younger prospects coming off disappointing seasons hoping to improve their standing. We'll see what happens Wednesday -- typically many of the top performers from the first day decline to play on Day 2. But between the first day of drills and Tuesday, we've seen far more basketball activity from the draft's best players than I can remember in quite some time.

Woo: The energy level and quality of play in both combine games was quite good and helped reinforce the value in players participating. Echoing Jonathan, it was great to see quality prospects taking the floor -- it feels like we say this every year, but in recent history, the list of players who have helped themselves in this event is much longer than those who have harmed their stock. The NBA's changes to the combine format seem to have made a positive impact on the week.

Marks: Bypassing the combine has now been eliminated with the most recent collective bargaining agreement. Former player and camp director Derek Fisher talked to ESPN on the impact he sees with the new participation rule. "It is vital to the future of the game," Fisher said. "We should be able to evaluate players coming into the league. Just having them here, allowing teams to sit down face to face. To go through the medical process and go through the testing in front of the teams. To me that is important. If you want what comes with being in this league, you should want to show up. If you are as great as you think you are and your representative feels you are, it is OK to come here and get evaluated." Year by year the NBA saw a significant drop in first-round prospects not attending the draft combine. Because of the absence, teams were left scrambling to obtain medical information, measurements and conduct interviews. Simply put: Player participation matters.

How did Day 2 work out for Bronny James?
After an impressive showing during the drills and athletic testing on the first day of the combine, USC guard Bronny James, who is ranked No. 98 in our Top 100, could not maintain that momentum during his first scrimmage opportunity on Tuesday. He played 19 minutes in the first game of the afternoon, scoring four points on 2-of-8 shooting and grabbing four rebounds.

"He needed to assert himself," an Eastern Conference general manager told ESPN.

While addressing reporters hours later, James acknowledged that his heart issues hindered him during his freshman year in college but said he was excited to use this week as a showcase for NBA teams. Several NBA executives who spoke to ESPN this week said they were looking forward to seeing him on the court again after his limited college season. Those executives, including Lakers vice president of basketball operations Rob Pelinka, stuck around to watch his workouts later Monday. The stands at Wintrust Arena were more full for the earlier scrimmage Tuesday featuring James than later that afternoon.

However, James did not finish Day 2 with the same buzz he generated the first day.

"He made that nice move for a floater," an Eastern Conference scout told ESPN. "But he needed to do something more to stand out." -- Collier

Who stood out during Tuesday's scrimmages?
Baylor Scheierman, SG/SF, Creighton: Scheierman, ranked No. 39 in our top 100, continued to make his case as a possible first-round pick with a strong scrimmage performance Tuesday -- 17 points, 8 rebounds and 3 steals in a win. It didn't surprise anyone to see Scheierman make deep 3s from all over the court after what he did in college, but he showed more competitiveness defensively than we had previously seen. He generated quite a few turnovers fighting over screens, denying off ball and sliding his feet with purpose. He communicated nonstop and took a step ahead thanks to his sharp basketball instincts. Big wings who can pass and shoot are coveted in today's NBA, and if Scheierman can convince teams he can hold his own defensively, there's no reason he wouldn't project as a solid rotation player. -- Givony

Ajay Mitchell, PG, UC Santa Barbara: Mitchell only scored five points, but set the tone for his team from the opening tip with his unselfish ball movement and excellent vision operating out of pick-and-roll, generating seven assists in 21 minutes. He made several impressive reads manipulating the defense with his handle, pace and creativity, whipping touch passes to get his teammates easy baskets to help build a 30-point lead. He also used his size (6-foot-4 1/2 in shoes) and strong frame to pressure the ball the length of the floor and make things difficult on opponents, displaying important qualities NBA teams look for when seeking backup point guard candidates in the Andrew Nembhard mold. After an injury-riddled junior season at Santa Barbara, Mitchell (who ranks No. 51 in our top 100) needed a strong combine showing to solidify his standing and could continue to help himself by showing more perimeter shooting prowess than scouts have seen. -- Givony

AJ Johnson, SG, Illawarra Hawks (Australian NBL): This is an important week for the 19-year-old guard, who was in Australia playing limited minutes this season. Johnson, who ranks No. 62 in our top 100, reminded NBA scouts why he began the cycle as a projected first-round pick with impressive flashes of talent, changing speeds attacking the lane fluidly with long strides for touch shot finishes, hitting a 3-pointer off movement and making smart pick-and-roll passing reads. He finished with 13 points and 4 assists. His extremely thin frame (167 pounds), lack of experience and inconsistent defense make him a long-term project for a team, but one with significantly more upside than most projected second-round picks, which could make him an interesting swing for a patient NBA team in June. -- Givony

Trentyn Flowers, SG/SF, Adelaide 36ers (Australian NBL): Scouts are looking to learn more about Flowers after he played just 229 minutes this season in the Australian NBL. Flowers, ranked No. 72 in our top 100, has put work into improving his frame and had several explosive dunks off baseline cuts -- perhaps not a surprise after leading the combine testing in the 42-inch vertical leap. He also ran the floor energetically in transition, stepped into a catch-and-shoot 3-pointer smoothly and looked more competitive defensively than his reputation indicates, fighting over screens and holding his own. It was a good reminder of why he was a top 25 high school recruit and should give him some positive momentum, especially if he can have another strong showing in the final day of scrimmaging. -- Givony

Jonathan Mogbo, C, San Francisco: Mogbo didn't put up eye-popping stats -- 4 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists in 18 minutes -- but had impressive glimpses of playmaking and versatility not typically found among big men. His coach, Ryan Forehan-Kelly, gave him the freedom to push the ball up the court off defensive rebounds and initiate the half-court offense as a pick-and-roll ball handler. Mogbo, ranked No. 70 in our top 100, had flashes of pace, creative passing and polished footwork, which isn't surprising considering he's a late bloomer who grew up playing more guard until hitting a growth spurt.

Measured at 6-7 1/2 and 217 pounds, albeit with a 7-2 wingspan and 9-0 1/2 standing reach, Mogbo doesn't have great size or bulk for a big man who doesn't shoot 3-pointers. A return to college for his final year of eligibility to address some of the things teams want to see him work on might help improve his standing for the 2025 draft. -- Givony

2024 NBA draft

• Draft combine: Day 2 standouts in Chicago
• Mock draft: Projecting all 58 picks post-lottery
• Inside the secret room where picks are decided
• Combine preview: Top prospects, new rules
• What NBA execs are saying about Bronny
• Givony's big board: Top 25 prospects
• Case for No. 1: Dillingham | Risacher | Sarr | Williams

KJ Simpson, PG, Colorado: Simpson was his usual self on Tuesday, showcasing his aggressiveness as a scorer racking up 16 points and 3 steals. Despite his size, measuring at just over 6-feet barefooted, Simpson gets into the paint effectively with a fearless approach going downhill and a good understanding of how to work his way to the rim. On the heels of an efficient junior year at Colorado, there has been curiosity from teams if Simpson can find a niche as a microwave-type scorer off the bench, or if he's best suited for a strong career overseas.

Some of Simpson's weaknesses were evident -- he doesn't have great vision as a playmaker, nor is he a high-level passer. But the No. 47th-ranked player in our Top 100 is an excellent athlete (reinforced by positive combine testing), changes speeds well off the dribble and proves tough for defenders to stay in front of. He did well on Tuesday to remind scouts he was one of the top guards in college basketball last season, and his mix of speed, strength and scoring instincts at his size should give teams something to think about. -- Woo

Isaac Jones, PF/C, Washington State: Jones, ranked No. 65 in our Top 100, has been one of the biggest risers in the early part of the pre-draft circuit, turning in a good showing at Portsmouth and playing well enough at G League Elite Camp to earn a spot in the combine, where he turned in another solid showing Tuesday. He made the most of his opportunities, scoring 14 points on just five field goal attempts and making all eight of his free throws to go with six rebounds (three on the offensive end) and three steals. Jones has been on a unique trajectory, playing three years of junior college -- where he began as a walk-on -- benefiting from a late growth spurt, then turning in productive seasons at Idaho and Washington State.

Jones measured well, with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and 9-foot standing reach despite standing just 6-foot-7½ barefoot, and has continued to help himself in Chicago. While not the quickest vertical leaper, Jones has good feet and hands for his size, has flashed some passing and shooting potential, and generally makes smart plays. At 24 years old, his unique story and strong play will likely earn him interest from teams as the draft draws closer, and he'll get a chance to develop into a useful depth player off some team's bench. -- Woo

Jamal Shead, PG, Houston: While still working his way back conditioning-wise from the ankle injury that ended his season in the Elite Eight, Shead opted to play at the combine and fared well, finishing with 14 points on 5-of-10 shooting and four assists. One of college basketball's top players, Shead earned a following after leading the Houston team, with a chance to follow in the footsteps of stylistically similar guards such as T.J. McConnell and Jose Alvarado into an NBA role.

While known primarily for his defensive play and active hands, Shead, who is ranked No. 55 in our Top 100, also has positive qualities as a game manager, making excellent reads and passes and taking care of the ball. While he made 1 of 4 3-point attempts, he looked comfortable taking open catch-and-shoot looks, an area of growth for him to earn minutes. His playmaking skills and toughness are easy to appreciate if you can get past his size (6-1, 190). -- Woo

Enrique Freeman, PF, Akron: Freeman has been on a good run this spring, working his way from Portsmouth into the G League Elite Camp and earning enough votes to make the combine, where he looked like he belonged. Freeman scored a game-high 17 points on 5-of-6 shooting and knocked down a pair of 3s, showing off inside-out versatility. While not a historically good shooter from range, Freeman seems to be developing that part of his game. He has enough skill to create mismatches in the post and was productive the past two years at Akron.

After originally making the team at Akron as a walk-on with an academic scholarship, Freeman hit a late growth spurt and finished his career as the MAC Player of the Year. His mix of length, productivity and flashes of two-way ability at power forward, coupled with that late-blooming trajectory, should make him a solid two-way contract candidate as he proves he can hold his own. He's the type of underexposed player who can benefit from this part of the pre-draft process. -- Woo

What's your biggest takeaway from Monday?
Givony: Talk about a very productive first day at the NBA draft combine. The many NBA executives I spoke with seemed pleased with the format, participation and the way prospects competed. The league has found a home in the sparkling Wintrust Arena, with a huge staff that kept the 77 participating prospects flowing through drills, athletic testing and live action. The league avoided mass withdrawals from the competitive 5-on-5 action, so there's quite a bit to look forward to on Days 2 and 3. Bronny James, the USC point guard who ranks No. 98 in our Top 100, was a major standout in drills and athletic testing. Lottery-level prospects, such as Providence's Devin Carter, also elected to participate in competitive action and thoroughly improved their draft stock.

Woo: It was a refreshing sight to walk into the arena first thing Monday and see a number of top prospects, including projected No. 1 pick Alex Sarr, Donovan Clingan and Zach Edey, warming up for drills and testing. Through changes to combine protocol in the new CBA, the NBA secured full participation from top prospects, including their medical information, in exchange for allowing agents into the building and making scrimmaging optional. These players aren't required to do much beyond measuring, athletic testing and shooting drills -- nobody would mistake this for a real eval setting. But the immediate feedback I heard from team personnel Monday was strongly positive.

Having high-profile prospects partake in any type of action adds legitimacy to the combine. In recent years, lottery picks essentially never touched the court. This year, even the basic shooting drills were a sizable upgrade. The majority of teams won't be able to get these players into their buildings for workouts, so any opportunity to get eyes on them is helpful. For example, seeing players such as Clingan and Edey get out of their comfort zones launching 3s -- not to mention faring OK -- was a scene we never would have witnessed in years past and a tangible improvement to the pre-draft process overall.

Who stood out during drills and scrimmages?
Bronny James, PG, USC: With dozens of cameras tracking his every move, James had an overwhelmingly positive first day in Chicago, showing he more than deserves to be in attendance. He is in excellent shape, clearly having put on some good bulk from the end of the season. James tested extremely well athletically, with a 40½-inch inch vertical leap that placed him fourth highest among combine participants, a 32-inch no step vertical, a 3.02 second time in the shuttle run drill, 3.09 seconds in the three-quarter court sprint, and 10.96 seconds in the pro lane agility drill -- all solid marks relative to his peers. More impressive was how well he shot in drills, demonstrating a clean, compact stroke and outstanding accuracy in the 3-point star shooting drills (19-for-25, second best behind UConn's Alex Karaban) as well as the off-movement 3-point shooting drill, hitting 77% of his attempts in the side-mid-side pull-up shooting drill.

While he looked bouncy in the transition drills, he showed some of his limitations as a ball handler and playmaker in the half-court pick-and-roll live action competition, where he was unlucky to run into one of the best defenders in college basketball in Providence's Carter. He also faced some extremely mobile big men (such as Arizona's Keshad Johnson, who had an outstanding day in his own right) who were making life miserable on opponents every play. This was a positive day for James, who looks to be in outstanding shape and has quite a bit to gain in the 5-on-5 scrimmaging Tuesday and Wednesday. -- Givony

Zach Edey, C, Purdue: Edey, ranked No. 14 in our Top 100, measured exceptionally well, as expected (299 pounds, 7-foot-5 in shoes, with a near 7-foot-11 wingspan and a 9-foot-7½ standing reach). Those were unprecedented figures that we learned at last year's NBA draft combine before Edey withdrew from the draft. But he also tested better than last year, shaving off time from last year's pro lane agility drill, and measuring a solid vertical leap and three-quarter-court sprint time, showing the significant improvement he has made with his conditioning and mobility since electing to return to Purdue for his senior season.

He also put on a pretty impressive showing in shooting drills, hitting 3s off movement, spotting up and pulling up off the dribble, showing some real potential in that area as he has long insisted he possesses. Edey has quite a few fans around the NBA at this point, and there are plenty of executives who say they have him ranked as a lottery pick, or even as a top-10 prospect because of how well he rates in their analytics models. -- Givony

Zach Edey, a center out of Purdue, works out during the NBA draft combine on Monday at Wintrust Arena in Chicago. Kamil Krzaczynski/NBAE via Getty Images
Devin Carter, PG, Providence: Carter (No. 17 in our Top 100) was our highest-ranked prospect to participate in Monday's optional 4-on-4 component, which, unsurprisingly, proved to be a good decision. Known for his toughness and physical style of play, Carter was his usual self in the drill setting, battling defensively and raising the energy level of others on the floor. He also tested quite well, recording an unofficial 42-inch max vertical (tied with Reed Sheppard and Trentyn Flowers for the top mark), 35-inch standing vertical (also tied for the top score), and setting a combine record for three-quarter-court sprint time.

While he won't play in scrimmages this week, a solid day at the combine helped back up Carter's reputation as one of the draft's top defenders and athletes. He'll be a strong consideration for teams searching for NBA-ready backcourt help, and presuming he takes this momentum into private workouts, Carter could feasibly come off the board as high as the late lottery. -- Woo

It's early, but there's injury news to share
Rob Dillingham, PG, Kentucky: Dillingham, a projected top-five pick who ranks No. 4 in our Top 100, wasn't able to fully participate in the draft combine Monday. He sprained an ankle in a workout two weeks ago, Klutch Sports agent Lucas Newton told ESPN, and is expected to be out for another two to four weeks. Even with a more conservative timetable, Dillingham should have enough days available before the June 26 draft to conduct workouts with teams as needed, though he may not need to do more than a handful given his draft projections. -- Givony

Nikola Topic, PG, Serbia: While players in Chicago were going through shooting drills, NBA executives could be seen nearly simultaneously pulling up their phones and witnessing a scary sight via social media as Topic went down with what appeared to be a serious injury in Game 1 of the Adriatic League finals in Belgrade, Serbia. In early January, Topic suffered a sprained left knee ligament, which cost him nearly 3½ months of action. Monday, he appeared to reinjure the same knee, looking unable to put any weight as he limped off the court in obvious distress. A postgame examination revealed Topic avoided serious injury, sources told ESPN, and he will not require surgery. His injury is being described as a left knee sprain. A source told ESPN that Topic "froze up" after feeling pain in his previously injured knee, but recovered quickly in the locker room.

While this injury will keep Topic, who is ranked No. 5 in our Top 100, out of the remainder of the Adriatic League finals, he is still expected to be a full participant in a Global NBA pre-draft camp that the league is organizing in Treviso, Italy, from June 4-6. NBA teams will be taking a close look at the medical examination that will be conducted at this NBA combine equivalent in Treviso, which will be dispersed to teams picking in the top-15 portion of the draft according to new rules that were put in place in the CBA signed in 2023. -- Givony

More notes, thoughts and things we heard from the combine
EDITOR'S PICKS

Lowe: The latest draft intel, trade buzz and superstitions from inside the NBA's secret lottery room
2dZach Lowe

NBA draft combine preview: New rules and five prospects to watch
4dJonathan Givony and Jeremy Woo

Answering 14 questions on the NBA draft lottery: What now for the Hawks, Wizards and Rockets?
2dNBA Insiders
While in Chicago, I took in a private workout featuring Clingan, G League Ignite's Matas Buzelis and Cairns Taipans' Bobi Klintman. While Buzelis' improving frame and highlight reel explosiveness were certainly notable, it's Clingan's development as a perimeter shooter that could really open some eyes in the pre-draft process as he makes his way to visit lottery teams.

The center, who ranks No. 3 in our Top 100, has a natural shooting stroke, soft touch and real range that should make him a threat from the perimeter in the not-too-distant future. He spoke at length afterward about the importance of expanding this part of his game, and he continued to put that on display at the combine, where he made shots with varying consistency in drills. It's not entirely clear what Clingan's draft range looks like, as some of the teams that need centers the most -- such as the Portland Trail Blazers (No. 7) and Memphis Grizzlies (No. 9) -- moved down in the draft lottery. He has a natural suitor in the Washington Wizards at No. 2, but also some real competition from other prospects, such as Sarr and Zaccharie Risacher. -- Givony

Quick hitters
Creighton shooting guard Baylor Scheierman, ranked No. 39 in our Top 100, had some positive buzz in the gym after a scorching shooting performance in drills, shooting 24-for-30 on pull-up jumpers (second best at combine) and 22-for-25 on spot-up 3s (tied for No. 1). The 23-year-old has good size for the wing, sharp basketball instincts and a plug-and-play NBA skill already with his dynamic shooting ability. He's likely to receive consideration from teams drafting in the first round thanks to his well-rounded profile, strong analytic model numbers and the outsized importance teams are placing on 3-point shooting. -- Givony

Adem Bona, a center out of UCLA, is slotted in at No. 49 in ESPN's Top 100 rankings. Jeff Haynes/NBAE via Getty Images
UCLA big man Adem Bona, who ranks No. 49 in our Top 100, had a strong all-around day that suggests NBA teams should take a deeper look despite his up-and-down sophomore campaign. His measurements -- with a 9-foot standing reach and near 7-4 wingspan -- indicate he'll have little issue playing the center position at 243 pounds. He's clearly one of the best athletes in this draft as he reiterated with shuttle and sprint times comparable with many guards and an explosive 40-inch vertical that ranked second best among big men. Bona showed his power, mobility and intensity translates to the competitive 4-on-4 action as well, where he threw his body around and made his presence felt. While his rudimentary skill level and especially perimeter shooting might put a cap on his upside, he too could get looks starting in the late first round. -- Givony

Power forward Ulrich Chomche is the youngest player in this draft class -- he turns 19 in December -- and is probably the most inexperienced prospect as well. Chomche, who ranks No. 40 in our Top 100, was closely watched by NBA teams who are still in an early stage of building their scouting files on him as he was in Senegal at the NBA Academy Africa. Chomche measured (7-4 wingspan, 234 pounds, 9-4 standing reach) and tested exceptionally well athletically, and did not look as raw as expected in drills and competitive action. NBA teams feel like his shooting will eventually be a strength, which combined with his impressive mobility and defensive versatility, gives him a chance to emerge as the type of switchable, rim-protecting, floor spacing big man that is hard to come by. It will take plenty of time and patience for him to step on an NBA court for meaningful minutes, but his upside suggests that a long-term thinking team could take a swing on him in the late first, or early second round. -- Givony

Coming up Tuesday and Wednesday: scrimmages
Per usual, four teams of prospects are slated to scrimmage on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, with those four games in total serving as the combine's main event. As of Tuesday morning, projected participation in those scrimmages appeared to be better than expected. Only five players were needed as call-ups from the G League Elite Camp -- Jesse Edwards, Isaac Jones, Enrique Freeman, Boogie Ellis and Nae'Qwan Tomlin -- and a solid group of prospects remained scheduled to play.

While only one of ESPN's projected first-rounders is suiting up this week, Justin Edwards (No. 29), there are other top-ranked players who are expected to take the court Tuesday: Harrison Ingram (No. 34), Payton Sandfort (No. 35), Dillon Jones (No. 37), Izan Almansa (No. 38), Scheierman (No. 39) and Chomche (No. 40). NBA teams we've spoken with expect there to be significant opportunity for prospects to work their way into the first round, considering the wide discrepancy in opinion around the league surrounding the talent hierarchy in this draft. There are also some college players facing significant decisions on whether to return to school who might gain clarity this week, including Karaban and Florida State's Jamir Watkins. Bronny James is also currently expected to play, creating a real opportunity for him to continue to change the narrative around his season. -- Woo
pharring
Sixth Man
And1: 377

Post#859 » by pharring » Thu May 16, 2024 2:06 am

OakleyDokely wrote:The mock drafts have the Raps taking...

The Ringer: I Collier (19), T Flowers (31)
Tankathon: D Carter (19), R Dunn (31)
NBAdraft.net: C Carrington (19), H Sallis (31)
ESPN: K Filipowski (19), R Dunn (31)
Yahoo: T Smith (19), Z Edey (31)
Bleacher: K Filipowski (19), B Klintman (31)
Sporting News: D Carter (19), P Dadiet (31)
SI: T Smith (19), M Ajinca (31)
CBS: D Carter (19)
USA Today: Z Edey (19)
Vecenie: Y Missi (19)

Filipowski is the only name I'd go to bed mad about.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,899

Post#860 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu May 16, 2024 2:50 am

Ajay Mitchell might be a sleeper pick, the Jalen Williams of this draft

Return to Toronto Raptors