ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Connection to the Raptors?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Nivrad
Sixth Man
And1: 16

Your Connection to the Raptors? 

Post#1 » by Nivrad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Slow day (for me anyway), thought I'd throw this question out there ... do you guys have any sort of connections to the Raptors (past/present)? By 'connections', I mean basically anything ... you've met/know players or coaches or staff, you've been on an nba broadcast (in any capacity), played one of those commercial break/halftime games at the ACC where they bring you to center court and make you spin around or whatever, anything basically ... I thought I'd share mine:

'Money' Weems

Last season, specifically April 1st, for whatever reason (maybe because Sonny was starting to heat up), I e-mailed Matt Devlin and basically suggested the nickname 'Money Weems' ... Fast Forward to April 9th, and I'm watching the Raps/Hawks game, Sonny scores, Devlin yells out 'Money Weems', and Jack starts laughing, and I do a double take, check my e-mail, and this was in the inbox:

Sent: April 9, 2010 12:16 AM
To: d*******@ryerson.ca
Subject: Re: Sonny Weems Nickname

Darvin, thanks for your email, "Money Weems" like that! Go Raps Matt

I thought to myself, "cool." So yeah, that's my current 'connection' to the Raptors. I'm sure some of you have them as well ... take care people, peace...
Hype
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Re: Your Connection to the Raptors? 

Post#2 » by Reignman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:30 pm

My only connection to this team right now is that they "Toronto" written on the front of the jerseys. Other than that not much connection with the team itself. I like Demar and have hope for Davis but it's way too early.

I guess I'm connected to the 2011 draft and the hope that we'll land a blue chip prospect.
Ballin
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#3 » by Ballin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:37 pm

I have the exact same story but it was back with chuck. A friend used to always email chuck and he responds to every email , hes cool like that. One of the emails we suggested saying "mp3 download" any time mo pete drilled a three. He used it for a while was pretty dope.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#4 » by 5DOM » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm a loser just like them
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,309

Post#5 » by Duffman100 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:44 pm

I interviewed for a job with the digital team for raptors.com...got to the final interview and lost out to one other guy.

bah!
Raptor_Insider
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Raptor_Insider » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:49 pm

Reignman wrote:My only connection to this team right now is that they "Toronto" written on the front of the jerseys. Other than that not much connection with the team itself. I like Demar and have hope for Davis but it's way too early.

I guess I'm connected to the 2011 draft and the hope that we'll land a blue chip prospect.

this
OlFlashy
Rookie
And1: 363

Post#7 » by OlFlashy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Yes, I'm connected in many small, but not insignificant ways. For instance, I was just in Rabba's and saw Leandro Barbosa buy some cranberry juice and day-old buns. I was also buying some juice at the time. Coincidence? I think not
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#8 » by SDM » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:01 pm

OlFlashy wrote:Yes, I'm connected in many small, but not insignificant ways. For instance, I was just in Rabba's and saw Leandro Barbosa buy some cranberry juice and day-old buns. I was also buying some juice at the time. Coincidence? I think not

Probably to mix with vodka and using the bread to soak up the booze. Barbosa is Hedo v.2.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#9 » by J-Roc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Met Boogie Williams and Dee brown the The Drink nightclub back in the day. Drunk ass me asked Alvin how his knee was doing since the Danny Fortson deal was rescinded. Alvin wasn't impressed.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,451

Post#10 » by SharoneWright » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Ex-player.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Realkeeper
Junior
And1: 411

Post#11 » by Realkeeper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:15 pm

I was entering a game one time and stood next to Garth Joseph (as in Garth McArthur Fitzgerald Joseph if you're not sure) as he signed an autograph. I thought, "damn, that's a big dude."

Another time, I was in the stands at an open-to-the-public practice and Mark Jackson kept staring at me. I think he wanted to fight.

I've been a fan ever since!
Nivrad
Sixth Man
And1: 16

Post#12 » by Nivrad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Ballin wrote:I have the exact same story but it was back with chuck. A friend used to always email chuck and he responds to every email , hes cool like that. One of the emails we suggested saying "mp3 download" any time mo pete drilled a three. He used it for a while was pretty dope.

Your MP3 Download? Haha ... all we need now is the "get out the salami and cheese mamma" guy
Hype
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#13 » by MrBojangelz71 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:30 pm

I was pretty tanked at the Sioux Falls preseason game last year and yelled "Go Raptors" extremely loud after the Canadian national anthem. Demar and Sonny laughed, giving me thumbs up.

I also do BC's taxes, but don't consider that a connection.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#14 » by Veggamattic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:35 pm

I spent a flight from Kiev to Donetsk (Ukraine) with Jermaine Jackson (ex Rap that looked identical to Alvin Williams). He was the only black person I saw the entire time I was in Ukraine and he had a Knicks Jersey on. It was a crazy flight that was delayed 8 hours by fog and we were both freaked out. We talked the whole flight and I blew his mind when I told him I knew who Fennis Dembo was. He was on his way to Donetsk for the first time to play with his new team.

I have also interviewed for a quantitative analysis position.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,102

Post#15 » by djsunyc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:45 pm

i ran into jack armstrong at an orgy. nice guy.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#16 » by MrBojangelz71 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:51 pm

djsunyc wrote:i ran into jack armstrong at an orgy. nice guy.

HELLO!!
kassian
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#17 » by kassian » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Swirsk gave a shout-out to me (during his stance in Toronto - he was naming a fan each game, once the Raptors drained their first three-ball of the game), during the 2007-2008 season, against the Hornets.
RocLaFamilia
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#18 » by RocLaFamilia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Was in vegas about 4 - 5 years ago, and it was during Summer League. I was staying at the Mandalay Bay, and I saw a few Summer League players, one looking like on of the Grahams (Joey or Stephen). Wasn't sure which one it was, so I went up to him and I asked are you Joey or Stephen, and he said Stephen. I unintentionally made him feel insignificant by saying "oh...". So I quickly tried to kill the awkward silence by saying that they look exactly alike, Stephen then said "Nah we look nothing alike" I then walked away to let him eat his lunch.

Writing this sounds made up, but this actually happened lol.
dacrusha wrote:
In 2009, when Wright asked a Colorado judge to intervene, Weems didn’t even bother sending a lawyer to court.

Since when does Weems bring any kind of defense to the court anyway?
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,102

Post#19 » by djsunyc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:00 pm

RocLaFamilia wrote:Was in vegas about 4 - 5 years ago, and it was during Summer League. I was staying at the Mandalay Bay, and I saw a few Summer League players, one looking like on of the Grahams (Joey or Stephen). Wasn't sure which one it was, so I went up to him and I asked are you Joey or Stephen, and he said Stephen. I unintentionally made him feel insignificant by saying "oh...". So I quickly tried to kill the awkward silence by saying that they look exactly alike, Stephen then said "Nah we look nothing alike" I then walked away to let him eat his lunch.

you must be awesome with the ladies :D
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#20 » by Lionel Messi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:05 pm

djsunyc wrote:
RocLaFamilia wrote:Was in vegas about 4 - 5 years ago, and it was during Summer League. I was staying at the Mandalay Bay, and I saw a few Summer League players, one looking like on of the Grahams (Joey or Stephen). Wasn't sure which one it was, so I went up to him and I asked are you Joey or Stephen, and he said Stephen. I unintentionally made him feel insignificant by saying "oh...". So I quickly tried to kill the awkward silence by saying that they look exactly alike, Stephen then said "Nah we look nothing alike" I then walked away to let him eat his lunch.

you must be awesome with the ladies :D

That's what I was thinking :lol:

I don't really have a connection to the Raptors other than the fact that they play for Toronto and I've lived in Toronto for the past 10 years.

I do however play basketball on an almost weekly basis with The Basketball Jones guys (Skeets and Melas). Depends if they come but it's pretty cool. I feel like some people I play basketball with in that same group also post on RealGM, but I haven't asked :uhoh:

Return to Toronto Raptors