ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Raptors 2012 NBA Draft Thread, Part 4

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Who do you want the Raptors to draft in the 2012 NBA Draft?

Anthony Davis
24%
Harrison Barnes
26%
Andre Drummond
11%
Perry Jones
2%
Quincy Miller
2%
Jeremy Lamb
15%
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
18%
Jared Sullinger
1%
Austin Rivers
1%
Other
1%

Total votes: 178

Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,667

Re: Official Raptors 2012 NBA Draft Thread, Part 4 

Post#1401 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Feb 2, 2012 1:34 pm

Marvin! wrote:Lamb stunk out the joint last night. I just cannot see what has so many of you excited about him.

Because we all watched this game in the summer since Jonas was playing:

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2011/7/5/22 ... a-u19-game
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Myth111
Junior
And1: 0

Post#1402 » by Myth111 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 3:00 pm

Nerlens Noel is moving to 2012 class. He had been ranked #2 in the 2013 class.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... fid%3d1027

ESPN is moving him to #1 in the 2012 class. That says a lot about the 2012 class in my opinion because players tend to go down when they join an earlier class.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,636

Post#1403 » by dTox » Thu Feb 2, 2012 3:39 pm

Fred and Stealy you guys gotta stop responding to each other its going absolutely no where. I come in here to get some insights but all i see is bickering between guys who have bias towards their players (which is absolutely common for a sports fan). And Fredricklove, most people understand where you're coming from but the more you quote him the more he'll post with the same topic because he realizes there are people out there getting a reaction out of it.
TBZ for the win
Marvin!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 806

Post#1404 » by Marvin! » Thu Feb 2, 2012 3:40 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Marvin! wrote:Lamb stunk out the joint last night. I just cannot see what has so many of you excited about him.

well, i've caught him a couple times this college season and don't see a whole lot to get that excited about
dTox
RealGM

Post#1405 » by dTox » Thu Feb 2, 2012 3:42 pm

By the way, I haven't watched a Baylor game in over a month. How's Q-Miller looking out there, I had him as my first choice in wings but then switched to Barnes/MKG/Jesus after seeing him go invisible to many times.
TBZ for the win
dTox
RealGM

Post#1406 » by dTox » Thu Feb 2, 2012 3:45 pm

Marvin! wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

well, i've caught him a couple times this college season and don't see a whole lot to get that excited about

He's the perfect example of a player whose stock will absolutely depend on the March tourny, the opposite of a guy like Drummond who can probably put up a stinker and still go top 3. If he brought more to the table besides scoring like an MKG (who plays outstanding Defense), then I think he would be a top 5 pick even if he were to get injured today.
TBZ for the win
nahom1319
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#1407 » by nahom1319 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 3:52 pm

Marvin! wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

You mean other then his 3pt scoring, his handles, ability to drive into the paint and use his floater, playmaking ability and long wingspan and above average footspeed (he's deceptively quick) :roll: yeah I have no idea what people see in him.

Were much better off with a sg who can .......... dunk pretty well.
Dr Mufasa wrote: I wouldn't bet any of my personal money on Valanciunas being in the NBA after his rookie contract.
<--- May 22 2012
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx14 ... -THG-1.gif
nahom1319
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#1408 » by nahom1319 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 3:58 pm

ty123 wrote:I'm looking at the highlights and I'm not entirely sold on Lamb's first step.

Watch the games not the highlights. He's no derrick rose, but he can work his way through a defense. He just doesn't do it often, imo his biggest issues are his teammates and his laid back personality.

Lamb with MKG's attitude = God
Dr Mufasa wrote: I wouldn't bet any of my personal money on Valanciunas being in the NBA after his rookie contract.
<--- May 22 2012
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx14 ... -THG-1.gif
dTox
RealGM

Post#1409 » by dTox » Thu Feb 2, 2012 4:20 pm

Undefeated wrote:
I think with full reign of the offense, Quincy is easily the most complete SF in this draft hands down. A player that is able to shoot from anywhere on the floor, can create his own shot off the bounce with decent elevation on the jumper or get to the hole with that burst of speed, good court vision and passing in the open court, crafty post moves in the mid and high-post with the up-and-under, excellent touch for the backboard with the ability to finish either hand and ankle breaking ball skills. He still needs to tighten up his handles, learning to use his arm and body to protect the ball better like Harrison Barnes since he can sometimes get called for the carry or gets his pocket picked because he dribbles the ball far away from his body. I don't know why fredericklove is picking on Quincy's crossover, it's low and quick which is what a crossover is lol. I mean, ignoring Quincy's flaw for a second, which other prospect can bring what he brings offensively to the table? That's practically the package the Raptors are looking for from a SF imo.

I don't know about Charlie Villanueva since he doesn't have the ball handling skills which is what Quincy Miller is known for. The comparisons to Kevin Durant are off based too, but I can see some similarities. Personally, I'd compare him to Lamar Odom or Hedo Turkoglu during their prime.

I agree in that, if you were to compare a player in the NBA with Quincy's size and skillset, I think he would be more of a 1b type option such as Rudy gay than a dominant scorer like Durant/Melo. He lacks that athleticism that Durant has and the post move that Melo brings. He's not much of a play maker so I don't see an Odom or Turk in him (I do see him becoming a much bigger scorer than the two). A guy like Gay I think is the best comparison because he's also got decent set of dribbles but not good enough to attack the paint at will, is a bit shy of contact but has solid range and clutch shooting ability...which I see in Quincy's game. There's nothing wrong with that though, and wouldn't mind drafting him at the 5-8 range because if he were to turn out as good as Rudy G he'd be a steal in those draft slots.

With that in mind, if we dont end up with a top 3 pick in this draft then I wouldn't mind nabbing him, even if he is a 2nd banana type of scorer. Because paring him with Andrea and say one more scorer of their caliber would be a fine tuned offense with a good balance of scoring, we wouldn't need a bonafide scorer like Durant to rely on.
TBZ for the win
sunny
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#1410 » by sunny » Thu Feb 2, 2012 4:42 pm

Myth111 wrote:Nerlens Noel is moving to 2012 class. He had been ranked #2 in the 2013 class.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... fid%3d1027

ESPN is moving him to #1 in the 2012 class. That says a lot about the 2012 class in my opinion because players tend to go down when they join an earlier class.

Noel has Dikembe level d potential.
he should go to Georgetown
Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#1411 » by Greg Stink » Thu Feb 2, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm surprised, it took almost 500 pages for this thread to get weird but we still got it done before February.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,397

Post#1412 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 6:24 pm

All we need to know is out is very unlikely Barnes is going to be able to carry a team in any aspect at the next level, he will be a nice glue piece but with a top pick you should be looking for an impact guy. Ad ad Perry miller lamb beal mkg all have a chance to be. But, the only guys I take over hb is ad ad Perry and mkg because if miller and lamb don't substantially improve there useless, same could be said for Perry and drummy but the pay off if they do is to big to pass up
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#1413 » by Undefeated » Thu Feb 2, 2012 9:01 pm

fredericklove wrote:Not always low, sometimes his hands can go too high, you supposed to keep your hands low to the ground so that when you cross, it makes u cross faster. But Qmillers' hands stay up too high at times that when he shifts from left hand to the right (or right to left), he would force to palm and "carry" the ball cos when you leave your hand too high you're afraid the ball will slip off your hand, so you had to sort of palm and grab it to make sure its stays to your palm thus, that's why Qmiller usually ends up getting called for carrying.

The majority of the time when Quincy crosses he's never looking to attack the basket which is why he dribbles the ball high due to being in an upright stance. In his high school highlight mixtape like the one I posted earlier, look at how his body and dribble is low to the floor because he's actually looking to drive. The double crossover at 0:21, his back/shoulder is practically horizontal to the floor and the cross is low and fast completely erasing his defender out of the picture as he explodes to the rim. I mean, Kevin Durant had the exact same weakness as Quincy coming into the league in that he dribbled the ball too high and needed better ball protection learning to use his body and off hand better to shield the ball away from defenders. And he could use some refinement keeping that ball closer to his body when he's dribbling because sometimes it's too wide and exposed. But I wouldn't be too worried because it's something that can be fixed through repetition.

For a 6'9" player, Quincy's handles are certainly good as advertised considering not that many prospects were able to handle the rock like Quincy has. It took Durant a long way to get where he's at now with his ball handling, especially that in-and-out dribble with the head fake getting to the rim. Quincy just hasn't had that much of an opportunity to show it off. I just see a lot of potential in his breakdown skills with the ball in his hands more.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#1414 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 9:29 pm

I have to agree. I feel like Quincy Miller (assuming he declare) will be in the conversation for the Steal of the Draft. Sure he has things he's gotta fix. Nobody in this draft is perfect. But I think Miller could end up being AT WORST the 2nd best SF out of this draft. He has that go-to guy potential.

I would love it if BC could acquire another pick to grab this guy. College stats are important to some degree but tools and skills are something that doesn't show up on the stat sheet and can have tremendous effect on the type of player a prospect will/can become.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#1415 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 9:36 pm

dTox wrote:
Undefeated wrote:
I think with full reign of the offense, Quincy is easily the most complete SF in this draft hands down. A player that is able to shoot from anywhere on the floor, can create his own shot off the bounce with decent elevation on the jumper or get to the hole with that burst of speed, good court vision and passing in the open court, crafty post moves in the mid and high-post with the up-and-under, excellent touch for the backboard with the ability to finish either hand and ankle breaking ball skills. He still needs to tighten up his handles, learning to use his arm and body to protect the ball better like Harrison Barnes since he can sometimes get called for the carry or gets his pocket picked because he dribbles the ball far away from his body. I don't know why fredericklove is picking on Quincy's crossover, it's low and quick which is what a crossover is lol. I mean, ignoring Quincy's flaw for a second, which other prospect can bring what he brings offensively to the table? That's practically the package the Raptors are looking for from a SF imo.

I don't know about Charlie Villanueva since he doesn't have the ball handling skills which is what Quincy Miller is known for. The comparisons to Kevin Durant are off based too, but I can see some similarities. Personally, I'd compare him to Lamar Odom or Hedo Turkoglu during their prime.

I agree in that, if you were to compare a player in the NBA with Quincy's size and skillset, I think he would be more of a 1b type option such as Rudy gay than a dominant scorer like Durant/Melo. He lacks that athleticism that Durant has and the post move that Melo brings. He's not much of a play maker so I don't see an Odom or Turk in him (I do see him becoming a much bigger scorer than the two). A guy like Gay I think is the best comparison because he's also got decent set of dribbles but not good enough to attack the paint at will, is a bit shy of contact but has solid range and clutch shooting ability...which I see in Quincy's game. There's nothing wrong with that though, and wouldn't mind drafting him at the 5-8 range because if he were to turn out as good as Rudy G he'd be a steal in those draft slots.

With that in mind, if we dont end up with a top 3 pick in this draft then I wouldn't mind nabbing him, even if he is a 2nd banana type of scorer. Because paring him with Andrea and say one more scorer of their caliber would be a fine tuned offense with a good balance of scoring, we wouldn't need a bonafide scorer like Durant to rely on.

+ 1

Quincy is going to surprise a lot of people in the NBA and assuming that we fall out of the Top 5 (which is entirely possible) I wouldn't mind taking him there or trading down to see if we can get him + something else. Rudy Gay is a good comparison and if he does pan out that way, I think we have a huge steal on our hands. I don't see a 1a-type scorer in the draft so i'll gladly take a 1b
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1416 » by Undefeated » Thu Feb 2, 2012 10:00 pm

tdotrep2 wrote:All we need to know is out is very unlikely Barnes is going to be able to carry a team in any aspect at the next level, he will be a nice glue piece but with a top pick you should be looking for an impact guy. Ad ad Perry miller lamb beal mkg all have a chance to be. But, the only guys I take over hb is ad ad Perry and mkg because if miller and lamb don't substantially improve there useless, same could be said for Perry and drummy but the pay off if they do is to big to pass up

I don't think Bradley Beal and MKG have the potential to be elite players. They're more "glue guys" than Harrison Barnes is with the heart and hustle they bring night in-night out. I keep hearing Barnes isn't an impact player, but why is that though? Barnes already got an NBA frame for his position, great defensive fundamentals and instinct - I really like how Barnes uses his chest to slow down his opponent when they're driving right at him reducing the chance of being called for a foul unlike most players who would use their arm in this instance - a silky smooth jumper that already goes out to the NBA three-point line, is deadly off the triple-threat with an array of crafty jab-steps and step-back jumpers, uses and reads ball screens really well putting the ball on the deck getting to the hole, and a solid contributor on the glass. What's even more impressive is that, his rebounding is pretty stellar when you put into account that he's playing with two of the best rebounding bigs in the nation in John Henson and Tyler Zeller for a combined 19.7 RPG. Anyways, this is a player from the get-go who should be able to contribute immediately on both ends of the floor. There's a chance Barnes might not be a franchise carrying player like there's a chance with any other prospect outside the first overall selection, but that's not a player I'd say who wouldn't be able to impact the game given what he has to offer right now.

Even though Barnes had an off-night against Wake Forest two nights ago, he still managed to grab 7 rebounds and played some solid defense. That's what you want from your player when their shots aren't falling.

Also, Barnes has a proven track record of being a clutch performer. Besides Bargnani, the Raptors need another guy who can put up buckets down late in the game which Barnes can do.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1417 » by Undefeated » Thu Feb 2, 2012 10:09 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:Quincy is going to surprise a lot of people in the NBA and assuming that we fall out of the Top 5 (which is entirely possible) I wouldn't mind taking him there or trading down to see if we can get him + something else. Rudy Gay is a good comparison and if he does pan out that way, I think we have a huge steal on our hands. I don't see a 1a-type scorer in the draft so i'll gladly take a 1b

Would it be out of question to say Quincy Miller can end up becoming a poor man's KD? :o :D
dTox
RealGM

Post#1418 » by dTox » Thu Feb 2, 2012 10:24 pm

Undefeated wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:Quincy is going to surprise a lot of people in the NBA and assuming that we fall out of the Top 5 (which is entirely possible) I wouldn't mind taking him there or trading down to see if we can get him + something else. Rudy Gay is a good comparison and if he does pan out that way, I think we have a huge steal on our hands. I don't see a 1a-type scorer in the draft so i'll gladly take a 1b

Would it be out of question to say Quincy Miller can end up becoming a poor man's KD? :o :D

If he ends up being drafted by us, statements like these will become the norm :wink:
TBZ for the win
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#1419 » by fredericklove » Thu Feb 2, 2012 10:33 pm

Undefeated wrote:
tdotrep2 wrote:All we need to know is out is very unlikely Barnes is going to be able to carry a team in any aspect at the next level, he will be a nice glue piece but with a top pick you should be looking for an impact guy. Ad ad Perry miller lamb beal mkg all have a chance to be. But, the only guys I take over hb is ad ad Perry and mkg because if miller and lamb don't substantially improve there useless, same could be said for Perry and drummy but the pay off if they do is to big to pass up

I don't think Bradley Beal and MKG have the potential to be elite players. They're more "glue guys" than Harrison Barnes is with the heart and hustle they bring night in-night out. I keep hearing Barnes isn't an impact player, but why is that though? Barnes already got an NBA frame for his position, great defensive fundamentals and instinct - I really like how Barnes uses his chest to slow down his opponent when they're driving right at him reducing the chance of being called for a foul unlike most players who would use their arm in this instance - a silky smooth jumper that already goes out to the NBA three-point line, is deadly off the triple-threat with an array of crafty jab-steps and step-back jumpers, uses and reads ball screens really well putting the ball on the deck getting to the hole, and a solid contributor on the glass. What's even more impressive is that, his rebounding is pretty stellar when you put into account that he's playing with two of the best rebounding bigs in the nation in John Henson and Tyler Zeller for a combined 19.7 RPG. Anyways, this is a player from the get-go who should be able to contribute immediately on both ends of the floor. There's a chance Barnes might not be a franchise carrying player like there's a chance with any other prospect outside the first overall selection, but that's not a player I'd say who wouldn't be able to impact the game given what he has to offer right now.

Even though Barnes had an off-night against Wake Forest two nights ago, he still managed to grab 7 rebounds and played some solid defense. That's what you want from your player when their shots aren't falling.

Also, Barnes has a proven track record of being a clutch performer. Besides Bargnani, the Raptors need another guy who can put up buckets down late in the game which Barnes can do.

I can't wait to see Barnes in the tourney, hope he's as clutched as last year bringing the game back when they're down by 10, score game-winning shots and scoring 40 points (doubt he can do that again but that game was insane). I'm getting bored of these inferior competitions right now...just a month and abit more, March Madness baby! We get to see what these lottery prospects can do. And I have a feeling Davis and MKG would lead their team to the final 4.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#1420 » by fredericklove » Thu Feb 2, 2012 10:35 pm

Undefeated wrote:

Nope, he's more like a poor man's Melo. KD isn't even a good passer, but Qmiller is. Besides, Qmiller plays a power forward type of SF game like Melo. Hey, a poor man's Melo is no chump, bro.

Return to Toronto Raptors