ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Andrew Bynum's "issues"

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Re: OT: Andrew Bynum's "issues" 

Post#41 » by hankscorpioLA » Fri May 25, 2012 5:27 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:I don't know if my post ended up in code or what, but one guy thought I said Kareem was nice(?) and you seem to have completely misunderstood my question, too. Thanks for telling me that Kareem was the better player. I give up.

Sorry.

I read the one post directed at me and my first reaction was "why is anyone mentioning Kareem Abdul Jabbar in a thread about Andrew Bynum?"

Kareem did have a bit of a chip on his shoulder in general - a lot of that had to do with political and racial issues at the time. You have to understand that Kareem was a phenomenon that was bigger than LeBron James - but during the era of the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement. So off the court, he could often come across as hostile to the media or the establishment (aka: white people).

But he never took that onto the floor.

Again...I just thought it was kind of ridiculous to be comparing the two players in any context other than perhaps in a ranking of All-Time Lakers Centers and only to say that "in terms of All-Time Lakers Centers, Andrew Bynum will never come close to Kareem".

:lol:
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,603

Post#42 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Fri May 25, 2012 6:00 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:I don't know if my post ended up in code or what, but one guy thought I said Kareem was nice(?) and you seem to have completely misunderstood my question, too. Thanks for telling me that Kareem was the better player. I give up.

Sorry.

I read the one post directed at me and my first reaction was "why is anyone mentioning Kareem Abdul Jabbar in a thread about Andrew Bynum?"

Kareem did have a bit of a chip on his shoulder in general - a lot of that had to do with political and racial issues at the time. You have to understand that Kareem was a phenomenon that was bigger than LeBron James - but during the era of the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement. So off the court, he could often come across as hostile to the media or the establishment (aka: white people).

But he never took that onto the floor.

Again...I just thought it was kind of ridiculous to be comparing the two players in any context other than perhaps in a ranking of All-Time Lakers Centers and only to say that "in terms of All-Time Lakers Centers, Andrew Bynum will never come close to Kareem".

:lol:

I guess your reaction reflects your fanhood! I watched his last 5 years or so, and "Airplane!".

So Kareem was mean to whitey? I guess that's why the media is cool with him not getting his respect. I can't imagine there were too many black sportswriters back then, particularly early. You know, I'm pretty sure it came up on PTI, Kareem's personality, and Tony did not like at all while Wilbon said something like, 'nice to me but most did not like'.

I was thinking that maybe he was flippant like Bynum, behavior which drives me up the wall. Rascism is garbage but I was not a black superstar in the 70s and I'm sure he dealt with a lot of BS.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#43 » by hankscorpioLA » Fri May 25, 2012 6:14 pm

I wouldn't say he was "mean to whitey". After all, he was extremely close with John Wooden.

btw...I just want to mention that I wasn't born when Kareem came into the league.

I am not THAT old.
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#44 » by witnessraps » Sat May 26, 2012 2:48 am

Kenyon009 wrote:I'd still trade for this guy without hesitation. The guy has the potential to be the best center in the NBA if he doesn't get injured and plays more games. I'd throw up Val+DeRozan+8th pick.

well thank god you're not the gm.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#45 » by sanity » Sat May 26, 2012 3:54 am

Yeah, all-star players with roughly 10+ years left in them have no place on this team
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#46 » by sh00n » Sat May 26, 2012 7:34 am

Kenyon009 wrote:I'd still trade for this guy without hesitation. The guy has the potential to be the best center in the NBA if he doesn't get injured and plays more games. I'd throw up Val+DeRozan+8th pick.

Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
nelabai
Senior
And1: 39

Post#47 » by nelabai » Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 am

He already has problems with his legs. Getting his legs operated this summer in Germany instead of playing for the Olympic team. Pretty dumb move to trade all your assets that you have acquired over a past few years for already questionable Bynum to bring him here to play with Gary Forbes and Alan Anderson...

If you want to make a trade this dramatic it's better be Lebron or Dwight, who would still leave as their contracts expire :)
Magic Bean
Junior
And1: 5

Post#48 » by Magic Bean » Sat May 26, 2012 9:41 am

Are we comparing Bynum's ego to Kareem and Jordan now? Bynum can talk smack when he's the best player in the league and carrying his team to championships. He's not 1/10th the player that those two were.

Doesn't always play hard and give full effort. Terrible at defending PnR. Always last man back on D. We have enough of those on our roster already. Then he went out and played 35 mins in an elimination game and got 10 points and 4 rebounds.
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Re: OT - Andrew Bynum's "issues" 

Post#49 » by HomieOmey » Sat May 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:There was be something more serious.

Lots of players are asshats. Their teams dont trade them just because of that.

It sounds like LA is quietly letting teams know that he can be obtained in a trade.

You would think so, but everyone thought Bynum was gone after last year's playoffs too. Also, similar rumblings and even more trade rumors have been following Rondo for the last few years and he's still in Boston.
TurboZ
bigdirty
Banned User
And1: 64

Post#50 » by bigdirty » Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm

sh00n wrote:

Yah Kenyon's trade proposal is one of the worst ever. I'm sure he meant well, but wow.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#51 » by hankscorpioLA » Sat May 26, 2012 8:14 pm

sanity wrote:Yeah, all-star players with roughly 10+ years left in them have no place on this team

Holy Overgeneralization Batman!
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,263

Post#52 » by Joker » Fri Jun 1, 2012 6:17 pm

Hard to imagine Bynum still playing 10 years from now.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#53 » by hankscorpioLA » Fri Jun 1, 2012 6:25 pm

Bynum is the kind of player who I think will be negatively affected by the new "hard" cap that goes into place after this upcoming season.

From a pure talent perspective, he probably deserves a $15+ million contract.

But when you take the whole package into account, you start asking if he is the kind of person you want to make that large of an investment on.

Return to Toronto Raptors